OR 7
Has pups? Well, congrats, OR 7!

Sure won't make others happy though.

[Image: 1382001_10152910819838312_5597508340254034024_n.jpg]

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...e_has.html

OR-7's long trek has ended as wildlife biologists had suspected, and as wolf lovers had hoped: with offspring.

Oregon and U.S. wildlife biologists confirmed this week that Oregon's erstwhile wandering wolf has fathered at least two pups.

In May, biologists collected images from a remote camera in the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest that indicated he had a mate, a black female. They suspected the two were denning. On Monday, they confirmed their suspicions, discovering two pups.
Most of the folks that would not be happy about this no longer post here. Smiling
Here is another article about giving Grey Wolves endangered species protection.

UPDATED: State Fish and Game Commission votes to give wolves endangered species protection
By Damon Arthur
Posted June 4, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

The California Fish and Game Commission voted today to list the gray wolf as an endangered species in the state, while wildlife officials have confirmed that gray wolf OR-7 and his mate have puppies.

The commission voted this morning after a hearing in Fortuna on whether the gray wolf, which was exterminated from the state in 1924, should receive protection under the states endangered species laws.

Also this morning, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife confirmed that OR-7, the wolf that has lived in the North State and prompted the commission’s action, has photos of at least two of OR-7’s puppies.

Wildlife officials said last month that OR-7, who has spent time living in the North State, and a female mate were living in Jackson County in Southern Oregon and that the pair likely had puppies. U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials returned to the area Monday and got photos of two pups.

http://www.redding.com/news/2014/jun/04/...te-oregon/
I'll be glad when the batteries in his GPS collar run out of juice.
(06-05-2014, 06:43 AM)GPnative Wrote: I'll be glad when the batteries in his GPS collar run out of juice.
Until death us do depart Smiling

The batteries in OR7's tracking collar, which uses both GPS and radio signals, have outlived their typical three-year lifespan and could go dead at any time. Officials previously had no intention to replace the collar, she said, but they have changed plans and will replace it in order to better monitor the pack, probably this summer.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2014/06/04/32758...rylink=cpy
(06-05-2014, 05:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Most of the folks that would not be happy about this no longer post here. Smiling

I don't think the re introduction of wolves is a good idea just anywhere. There are already places where the wolves we brought in have overpopulated the number fish & wildlife wanted.
Now they are wiping out the deer and elk and who knows what else.
That's what Larry feared would happen here in SO. Oregon and he had/has good reason to believe this.

Human beings MUST control and manage todays wildlife. That's something many animal lovers just don't understand.
The term "animal lover" IMO quite often means misguided ignorants.
(06-05-2014, 08:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-05-2014, 06:43 AM)GPnative Wrote: I'll be glad when the batteries in his GPS collar run out of juice.
Until death us do depart Smiling

The batteries in OR7's tracking collar, which uses both GPS and radio signals, have outlived their typical three-year lifespan and could go dead at any time. Officials previously had no intention to replace the collar, she said, but they have changed plans and will replace it in order to better monitor the pack, probably this summer.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2014/06/04/32758...rylink=cpy

Arrrrghhhhhh!!! I hadn't heard the news about battery replacement yet. I am not surprised they are extending the monitoring, OR7 has been good for business and now that there is a wolf pack it is just a matter of time until OR7 gets its own reality TV show "The Wolf Of Oregon"
Maybe with any luck wolf pups are fond of wingnut meat.
(06-05-2014, 10:39 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Maybe with any luck wolf pups are fond of wingnut meat.

If so, they would have a long lasting feast in Josephine County!!!
I know a few animal lovin' people that this news would make happy...

Quote:Oregon meat packing plant worker speared by ram

A ram set to be slaughtered at an Oregon meat packing plant speared an employee, causing serious head injuries Thursday morning.

Firefighters and paramedics called for a LifeFlight helicopter at Ben's Custom Meat Processing in Dayton around 9:30 a.m.

The helicopter rushed the victim to Oregon Health & Science University Hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Dayton fire officials did not identify the victim, but said he is an employee of the meat packing plant and is in his 40s or 50s.

There's no word yet on his current condition.
http://www.kptv.com/story/25704166/orego...red-by-ram

Touche, Mr. Ram... Touche!
(06-05-2014, 12:21 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I know a few animal lovin' people that this news would make happy...

Quote:Oregon meat packing plant worker speared by ram

A ram set to be slaughtered at an Oregon meat packing plant speared an employee, causing serious head injuries Thursday morning.

Firefighters and paramedics called for a LifeFlight helicopter at Ben's Custom Meat Processing in Dayton around 9:30 a.m.

The helicopter rushed the victim to Oregon Health & Science University Hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Dayton fire officials did not identify the victim, but said he is an employee of the meat packing plant and is in his 40s or 50s.

There's no word yet on his current condition.
http://www.kptv.com/story/25704166/orego...red-by-ram

Touche, Mr. Ram... Touche!

My oldest brother raised Dorset sheep and he had a ram named Ramrod. One day that bastard rammed me in the knee. 40 years later I still remember the pain, but he did have beautiful horns on him.Smiling
(06-05-2014, 05:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Most of the folks that would not be happy about this no longer post here. Smiling

This is true. Larry was a vehement opponent of the Grey Wolves being reintroduced.
http://www.rogueweather.com/index.php/wolf

Quote:When the wolf reintroductions were done in 1996 in Yellowstone and the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho, the wolf that was reintroduced was NOT the wolf that originally dwelt in those ecosystems. That wolf is the Northern Timber Wolf. The Northern Timber Wolf averages about 20 - 30 percent smaller by weight and overall size than the wolf that was brought in, the Alaskan Yukon.

Quote:The environmentalists and animal rights groups have reneged on the agreements and thus have given us both more wolves than were intended, and more problem wolves. In Oregon, environmentalists or animal rights groups, or both have blocked every attempt made to remove problem wolves. Every one.
http://rmefblog.blogspot.com/2014/06/inf...olves.html

Quote:Since the reintroduction of wolves in the mid-1990s, the population of the Northern Yellowstone elk herd is down 80 percent from nearly 20,000 to less than 4,000 today.

I suggest reading the article.
Hey, Larry, you coward.
In what way? More specifically, in what way have you just contributed to the subject at hand?
Funny stuff.
(06-05-2014, 07:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

This is true. Larry was a vehement opponent of the Grey Wolves being reintroduced.

And at that time I didn't agree with him. Now I do.
(06-05-2014, 10:39 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Maybe with any luck wolf pups are fond of wingnut meat.

Me too. Cross country skiers are slower than deer and elk..
(06-06-2014, 05:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-05-2014, 07:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

And at that time I didn't agree with him. Now I do.

So, tell me more. Why did you disagree and now do? I'd like to hear your reasons. I see what you posted above, but I'd like to hear what you've learned to change your mind more specifically.