Everything I don't know about guns
I don't own a gun. 

But I come from a long line of "Rednecks" who thought if you didn't have a gun by the time you were 18 you were most likely "light in the loafers". (I did have a rifle when I was younger). We hunted deer. A few birds. I don't remember anyone in the family owning a handgun because they were not worth a damn for shooting deer or birds. 

So, I don't have anything agains guns. My son has several. People I know hunt, target shoot, and generally find pleasure in owning guns. 

That said, I gotta wonder:

All these tragic events we are talking so much about center around guns, used by men (or boys) who have a screw loose. Sure, they could have used a bomb, a knife, a machete, darts, or whatever but they didn't: The ALL used a gun. 

So I raise and issue for which I have no answer. I don't feel too alone: I don't see many answers on these pages or anywhere else I look. But, there has to be a better answer than simply insisting that our constitution provides the right to own and keep guns and have complete freedom to keep them around, close at hand, ready to be used for whatever purpose or reason.

We in the U.S. are an anomaly compared to other industrial civilized societies: Random shootings for reasons that can't be explained (other than metal illness) are rare in other places around the globe, but all too common here at home. 

I hope that in the coming days we read some intelligent pundit who might explain all this. I can't. I don't read anything at this site that explains it, other than the political ranting and raving about "rights" and "left/right" attitudes that don't begin to address the problem. 

Today in Roseburg there are families grieving and feeling a loss so terrible it tears at the very depths of their being. 
All because a nut-job went on a tear and shot their loved ones for no reason that we can understand. 

He did with a gun. that's a simple down home fact. 

There has to be a fix for this. I have no idea what it is, but there must be a reasonable compromise somewhere in the mix. 

I'll be listening and watching. I'm ready to accept any changes necessary to rid our selves of these tragic events. Enough already. 
This person who wrote this might have some insight to the problem:

What Happens When You Take God Out Of Schools

Makes you think.......

In light of the recent shooting in Massachusetts, let's see, I think it started when Madeline Murray O'Hare complained she didn't want any prayer in our schools, and we said OK.

Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school.... the Bible that says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem. And we said, an expert should know what he's talking about so we said OK, we won't spank them anymore.

Then someone said teachers and principals better not discipline our children when they misbehave. And the school administrators said no faculty member in this school better touch a student when they misbehave because we don't want any bad publicity, and we surely don't want to be sued. (There's a big difference between disciplining and touching, beating, smacking, humiliating, kicking, etc.) And we accepted their reasoning.

Then someone said, let's let our daughters have abortions if they want,and they won't even have to tell their parents. And we said, that's a grand idea.

Then some wise school board member said, since boys will be boys and they're going to do it anyway, let's give our sons all the condoms they want, so they can have all the fun they desire, and we won't have to tell their parents they got them at school. And we said, that's another great idea.

Then some of our top elected officials said it doesn't matter what we do in private as long as we do our jobs. And agreeing with them, we said it doesn't matter to me what anyone, including the President, does in private as long as I have a job and the economy is good.

And then someone said let's print magazines with pictures of nude women (and nude men) and call it wholesome, down-to-earth appreciation for the beauty of the female and male body. And we said we have no problem with that.

And someone else took that appreciation a step further and published pictures of nude children and then stepped further still by making them available on the internet. And we said they're entitled to their free speech.

And the entertainment industry said, let's make TV shows and movies that promote profanity, violence, and illicit sex.

And let's record music that encourages rape, drugs, murder, suicide, and satanic themes. And we said it's just entertainment, it has no adverse effect, and nobody takes it seriously anyway, so go right ahead.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."
Oh bull sh*t!  The shooter was a mental case.  He needed mental health help... and didn't get it.
(10-02-2015, 08:26 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Oh bull sh*t!  The shooter was a mental case.  He needed mental health help... and didn't get it.

Good point.

But...

Germany, England, Japan, etc., have their share of nut jobs too, but we don't see the rash of mass killings there as we do here in the good 'old U.S.A.

Something else gong on here. I mean other than our rejection of all things Christian.  Laughing
(10-02-2015, 08:43 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 08:26 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Oh bull sh*t!  The shooter was a mental case.  He needed mental health help... and didn't get it.

Good point.

But...

Germany, England, Japan, etc., have their share of nut jobs too, but we don't see the rash of mass killings there as we do here in the good 'old U.S.A.

Something else gong on here. I mean other than our rejection of all things Christian.  Laughing

A really good OP Wonk. You are right in that many countries have people with mental problems, and they don't have anywhere near the amount of mass killings the US has. The problem in America is simple, it's easy access to guns, but people don't want to face it. 

Any talk about doing something is seen as an assault on gun rights. Intelligent people know you actually can do something about all the gun violence while still protecting gun rights. Unfortunately, they are drowned out by the more rabid NRA gun nuts like Hugo, OL and TVguy. 
(10-02-2015, 09:12 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Good point.

But...

A really good OP Wonk. You are right in that many countries have people with mental problems, and they don't have anywhere near the amount of mass killings the US has. The problem in America is simple, it's easy access to guns, but people don't want to face it. 

Any talk about doing something is seen as an assault on gun rights. Intelligent people know you actually can do something about all the gun violence while still protecting gun rights. Unfortunately, they are drowned out by the more rabid NRA gun nuts like Hugo, OL and TVguy. 

OK Mr intelligent people. If you know the answer lets hear it? The ONLY possible answer from your point of view is to make it harder to access guns.
So go ahead and make a list of all the mass shooting that occurred if guns weren't "easy to access".

Good point.

But...

Perhaps other countries have better mental health programs?  
America's mental health programs have totally failed. 
University of Missouri-Columbia. "Violent video games reduce brain response to violence and increase aggressive behavior, study suggests." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 26 May 2011.
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110525151059.htm

I bet other countries do not have the same insanely addictive access to violent video games with parents that let the latest gaming device baby sit their children at ages so young they can't even talk yet....just sayin'
(10-02-2015, 07:46 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I don't own a gun. 

But I come from a long line of "Rednecks" who thought if you didn't have a gun by the time you were 18 you were most likely "light in the loafers". (I did have a rifle when I was younger). We hunted deer. A few birds. I don't remember anyone in the family owning a handgun because they were not worth a damn for shooting deer or birds. 

So, I don't have anything agains guns. My son has several. People I know hunt, target shoot, and generally find pleasure in owning guns. 

That said, I gotta wonder:

All these tragic events we are talking so much about center around guns, used by men (or boys) who have a screw loose. Sure, they could have used a bomb, a knife, a machete, darts, or whatever but they didn't: The ALL used a gun. 

So I raise and issue for which I have no answer. I don't feel too alone: I don't see many answers on these pages or anywhere else I look. But, there has to be a better answer than simply insisting that our constitution provides the right to own and keep guns and have complete freedom to keep them around, close at hand, ready to be used for whatever purpose or reason.

We in the U.S. are an anomaly compared to other industrial civilized societies: Random shootings for reasons that can't be explained (other than metal illness) are rare in other places around the globe, but all too common here at home. 

I hope that in the coming days we read some intelligent pundit who might explain all this. I can't. I don't read anything at this site that explains it, other than the political ranting and raving about "rights" and "left/right" attitudes that don't begin to address the problem. 

Today in Roseburg there are families grieving and feeling a loss so terrible it tears at the very depths of their being. 
All because a nut-job went on a tear and shot their loved ones for no reason that we can understand. 

He did with a gun. that's a simple down home fact. 

There has to be a fix for this. I have no idea what it is, but there must be a reasonable compromise somewhere in the mix. 

I'll be listening and watching. I'm ready to accept any changes necessary to rid our selves of these tragic events. Enough already. 

Wonky..
Random shootings for reasons that can't be explained (other than metal illness) are rare in other places around the globe, but all too common here at home.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...appen-oth/
(10-02-2015, 09:34 AM)tvguy Wrote: Wonky..
Random shootings for reasons that can't be explained (other than metal illness) are rare in other places around the globe, but all too common here at home.

From the link.

[Image: Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-08-27%2Bat%2B8.04.28%2BPM.png]
(10-02-2015, 09:43 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

From the link.

And?
(10-02-2015, 09:47 AM)tvguy Wrote:

From the link.

And?

And he proved Wonk's point 
(10-02-2015, 09:24 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Good point.

But...

OK Mr intelligent people. If you know the answer lets hear it? The ONLY possible answer from your point of view is to make it harder to access guns.
So go ahead and make a list of all the mass shooting that occurred if guns weren't "easy to access".
What's for me to say? You already said it; make getting a gun a little harder. Why shouldn't people have to jump through a few hoops to own a gun? Answer that. 
(10-02-2015, 10:15 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 09:24 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Good point.

But...

What's for me to say? You already said it; make getting a gun a little harder. Why shouldn't people have to jump through a few hoops to own a gun? Answer that. 

That's already happening, where have you been. But it still doesn't mean that will stop crazy bastards from shooting people.

What do you think Cletus. The form one must fill out to buy a gun will say....

Do you plan on shooting a boatload of people?  

And then the crazy bastard will say yes and then be denied buying a gun?
(10-02-2015, 10:11 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 09:47 AM)tvguy Wrote:

From the link.

And?

And he proved Wonk's point 

Not the point that copied and pasted, Wonky said..."Random shootings for reasons that can't be explained (other than metal illness) are rare in other places around the globe"

So I posted something that showed it's not rare at all in other countries
from Tornado response "This person who wrote this might have some insight to the problem:

What Happens When You Take God Out Of Schools"

I have to call bullshit here. It would be your responsibility as a parent to read the bible to your children if that's what you want, not the public school system. It's the parents job to raise their children. If you don't want to do that don't have kids and don't blame others for not doing your job.

The rest is just a random shopping list of righty complaints I don't wish to address now.
Quote:CNN Breaking News 

Family members told investigators that the Oregon gunman had sought mental health treatment, two officials say.

Investigators have recovered writings believed to be his that include ramblings about his racial animus toward African-Americans and general feelings of anger about being isolated and unable to make relationships, law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation tell CNN.

It's not the freaking guns!  It's mental health!

Good point.

But...

Answer me this.  40 years ago kids TOOK guns to school during hunting season.  There were no school shootings. 

So it must be something other than availability of guns, correct?
(10-02-2015, 11:34 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
Quote:CNN Breaking News 

Family members told investigators that the Oregon gunman had sought mental health treatment, two officials say.

Investigators have recovered writings believed to be his that include ramblings about his racial animus toward African-Americans and general feelings of anger about being isolated and unable to make relationships, law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation tell CNN.

It's not the freaking guns!  It's mental health!
True. Some of you wont like my opinion, but I don't think there is a solution. 

You can't fix crazy and you can't keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people. 
(10-02-2015, 11:44 AM)Hugo Wrote:

Good point.

But...

Answer me this.  40 years ago kids TOOK guns to school during hunting season.  There were no school shootings. 

So it must be something other than availability of guns, correct?

Hunting season? You're not kidding are you?