Are Fully Automatic Guns Legal?
Someone is ripping off 100's of rounds in my upper middle class neighborhood. Razz  Sheriffs dispatch said many reports from citizens, but deputies report after contact it is a legal permitted target practice. When I asked where and by who I was told they (dispatch) were not at liberty to say.  Twitch 

Anyone know?
(02-10-2017, 06:50 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Someone is ripping off 100's of rounds in my upper middle class neighborhood. Razz  Sheriffs dispatch said many reports from citizens, but deputies report after contact it is a legal permitted target practice. When I asked where and by who I was told they (dispatch) were not at liberty to say.  Twitch 

Anyone know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Oregon <-- Here is the Reader's Digest version of Oregon's gun laws

When you say fully automatic firearms, do you me assault rifles? Assault rifles are legal in Oregon and Oregon is a open carry state. The are exceptions to the open carry laws depending where you happen to live. To open and conceal carry you must have a carry permit. In Portland and some it's suburbs you cannot by law carry on certain public places. I also don't think people would like in Portland if you open carried in the city Portland, but it is legal.

I don't think in really necessary to open carry with a fully automatic AR-15 rifle on First Fridays in beautiful downtown Grants Pass, but maybe you could get a discount at Dutch Brothers.

On private property open and conceal carry laws go out the window. I doubt that the people at Evergreen Bank would like if you carried either open or conceal into there bank. However open carry AR-15, just might get you a really good deal at Jim Sigel. If you did that, Jimmy would call the Grants Pass Police and tell you take your fully automatic weapon and see the nice people at Wheeler.
(02-10-2017, 07:26 PM)Oscar Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 06:50 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Someone is ripping off 100's of rounds in my upper middle class neighborhood. Razz  Sheriffs dispatch said many reports from citizens, but deputies report after contact it is a legal permitted target practice. When I asked where and by who I was told they (dispatch) were not at liberty to say.  Twitch 

Anyone know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Oregon  <-- Here is the Reader's Digest version of Oregon's gun laws

When you say fully automatic firearms, do you me assault rifles? Assault rifles are legal in Oregon and Oregon is a open carry state. The are exceptions to the open carry laws depending where you happen to live. To open and conceal carry you must have a carry permit. In Portland and some it's suburbs you cannot by law carry on certain public places. I also don't think people would like in Portland if you open carried in the city Portland, but it is legal.

I don't think in really necessary to open carry with a fully automatic AR-15 rifle on First Fridays in beautiful downtown Grants Pass, but maybe you could get a discount at Dutch Brothers.

On private property open and conceal carry laws go out the window. I doubt that the people at Evergreen Bank would like if you carried either open or conceal into there bank. However open carry AR-15, just might get you a really good deal at Jim Sigel. If you did that, Jimmy would call the Grants Pass Police and tell you take your fully automatic weapon and see the nice people at Wheeler.

I mean fully automatic as in hold your finger on the trigger and it don't stop automatic.
(02-10-2017, 07:48 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Anyone know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Oregon  <-- Here is the Reader's Digest version of Oregon's gun laws

I mean fully automatic as in hold your finger on the trigger and it don't stop automatic.

Yes they are legal to own. You have to jump through a few hoops and be licenses with the feds and it'd probabaly expensive.
(02-10-2017, 08:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Anyone know?

Yes they are legal to own. You have to jump through a few hoops and be licenses with the feds and it'd probabaly expensive.

A couple of the neighbors said this: 

"they said those are M16s, legally owned, and they are firing into steel." 

"deputy called me after I called the non emergency line and told me it was an M-16. He said they paid $18,000 for it and were shooting in a safe space. He also mentioned that the gun is old and run down. He said he didn't think the gun would be capable of shooting much longer. The owners have four licenses and shooting legally. Sounds terrifying on many levels."

"Wow I just got schooled. I didn't think fully automatic guns were legal. Now I know what it sounds like on the battlefield. No wonder our soldiers come home with PTSD."
(02-10-2017, 09:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote: A couple of the neighbors said this: 

"deputy called me after I called the non emergency line and told me it was an M-16. He said they paid $18,000 for it and were shooting in a safe space. He also mentioned that the gun is old and run down. He said he didn't think the gun would be capable of shooting much longer. The owners have four licenses and shooting legally. Sounds terrifying on many levels."

"Wow I just got schooled. I didn't think fully automatic guns were legal. Now I know what it sounds like on the battlefield. No wonder our soldiers come home with PTSD."

Another: 

"Surprised the cops didn't do anything. Not supposed to shoot within city limits license/legal or not. Especially a high powered round like .223/5.56. Reckless."
This is being fired in a neighborhood with most of the homes in the $500,000-$700,000 + range and the natives are pissed.  Laughing

The guy is just getting ready

Quote:Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-w...08834.html
(02-10-2017, 09:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 08:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Anyone know?

A couple of the neighbors said this: 

An M-16 wouldn't cost $18,000. Especially if it is old and run down. Blink

(02-10-2017, 09:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Another: 

"Surprised the cops didn't do anything. Not supposed to shoot within city limits license/legal or not. Especially a high powered round like .223/5.56. Reckless."
That's no more high powered than most deer rifles. Why is that quoted?
(02-10-2017, 10:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Another: 

These are statements the neighbors are making.
(02-10-2017, 11:23 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Another: 

An M-16 being fired in the neighborhood. Okay. They are protected by the 2nd Amendment. 

But this: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Gives me pause. 

Whatever: Someday, somehow, I hope our country resolves what most reasonable folks see as madness. I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle. 

But, shoot if ya got 'em.  Wink

Anyone know?

Bullshit.  It is RARE for anyone to have a fully automatic rifle.  the AR-15 that virtually everyone (who has one) owns are SEMI automatic.
(02-12-2017, 12:00 PM)Hugo Wrote:

Anyone know?

Bullshit.  It is RARE for anyone to have a fully automatic rifle.  the AR-15 that virtually everyone (who has one) owns are SEMI automatic.

Yeah, I think that's been covered. Full Auto might be uncommon but it can be legal.
(02-12-2017, 12:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Anyone know?

Yeah, I think that's been covered. Full Auto might be uncommon but it can be legal.

I have heard of semi automatics with a hair pin trigger, that if held just right the recoil bounce was enough to pull the trigger again. It acted just like a fully automatic.
(02-12-2017, 01:32 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Anyone know?

I have heard of semi automatics with a hair pin trigger, that if held just right the recoil bounce was enough to pull the trigger again. It acted just like a fully automatic.
You can buy a stock designed to do just that. It's called a bump stock.
(02-12-2017, 04:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 07:26 PM)Oscar Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Oregon  <-- Here is the Reader's Digest version of Oregon's gun laws

It would sound just like a fully automatic.

They should do something about the noise.
It's not like they don't know how, to put a silencing device on the gun.

They should make guns silent, so they don't bother people or scare the game.
(02-12-2017, 05:02 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 04:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 12:00 PM)Hugo Wrote: Bullshit.  It is RARE for anyone to have a fully automatic rifle.  the AR-15 that virtually everyone (who has one) owns are SEMI automatic.

It would sound just like a fully automatic.

They should do something about the noise.
It's not like they don't know how, to put a silencing device on the gun.

They should make guns silent, so they don't bother people or scare the game.

... or give you away when you're shooting in the back yard.   Ninja
(02-11-2017, 01:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Another: 

An M-16 being fired in the neighborhood. Okay. They are protected by the 2nd Amendment. 

But this: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Gives me pause. 

Whatever: Someday, somehow, I hope our country resolves what most reasonable folks see as madness. I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle. 

First of all what gives you pause? This part I guess? "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

What about this part you left out "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

IMO this part is perfectly clear.

"I hope our country resolves what most reasonable folks see as madness. I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

It's not madness that Americans can legally own Automatic weapons. Why don't you explain why you think so?
Is it because of all the killing done with them? I doubt it because I don't think there has been one single mass killing by a person with an automatic weapon.

IMO arson with a semi auto would be more deadly because a person can pull the trigger VERY fast and actually aim at a target rather than just spraying lead and running out of ammo in seconds.
I think automatic rifles are for military fire Fights with multiple shooters.

And also you said something I here often that doesn't make sense to me I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

You are right it doesn't. But hunting game is not the only reason people own guns. My guess is the vast majority of automatic weapons are owned by collectors and I think they pay dearly for the required licensing.

BTW firing an automatic rifle is a lot of fun. Big Grin
(02-12-2017, 05:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 01:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 09:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Another: 

Gives me pause. 

First of all what gives you pause? This part I guess? "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

What about this part you left out "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

IMO this part is perfectly clear.

"I hope our country resolves what most reasonable folks see as madness. I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

It's not madness that Americans can legally own Automatic weapons. Why don't you explain why you think so?
Is it because of all the killing done with them? I doubt it because I don't think there has been one single mass killing by a person with an automatic weapon.

IMO arson with a semi auto would be more deadly because a person can pull the trigger VERY fast and actually aim at a target rather than just spraying lead and running out of ammo in seconds.
I think automatic rifles are for military fire Fights with multiple shooters.

And also you said something I here often that doesn't make sense to me I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

You are right it doesn't. But hunting game is not the only reason people own guns. My guess is the vast majority of automatic weapons are owned by collectors and I think they pay dearly for the required licensing.

BTW firing an automatic rifle is a lot of fun. Big Grin
So, buy, and fire, an automatic weapon. 

But my saying "I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle." still stands. If you need an automatic weapon to bring down a buck, stop hunting and shop at Food For Less. 

I've fired fully automatic weapons. It wasn't for fun and I didn't enjoy it a bit. But, if you think it's fun, by all means I respect your right to blast away at all the cans you can find. By the way, someplace in this screwed up world someone is taking fire from an automatic weapon. Now THAT, I hope you can understand, is NOT fun!