Fires fires fires
I took this photo from my house. The sun was so dark and blood red that my photo didn't give it credit.
 On the news it's like Oregon is burning up. But it's so common I ignore it and just fast forward.
Too bad the only break from the high temperatures comes from the smoke blocking the sun

[Image: red%20sun_zpsiqtdi7uh.jpg]
(08-04-2017, 01:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: I took this photo from my house. The sun was so dark and blood red that my photo didn't give it credit.
 On the news it's like Oregon is burning up. But it's so common I ignore it and just fast forward.
Too bad the only break from the high temperatures comes from the smoke blocking the sun

Good photo. 

Let's just hope we don't have a flurry of dry lightening on the local ridges.
(08-04-2017, 03:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-04-2017, 01:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: I took this photo from my house. The sun was so dark and blood red that my photo didn't give it credit.

Good photo. 

Yep. Interesting term "dry lightning" I've also heard of heat lightning. It think lightning is lightning , it's all the same.
But what do I know I put salt in my beer and will only eat dry toast.
I put that photo on a FB photography site last night and got 21 likes so far. I'm gonna be rich.
I hope all these fires, don't cause an eclipse.
(08-04-2017, 03:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-04-2017, 03:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Good photo. 

Yep. Interesting term "dry lightning" I've also heard of heat lightning. It think lightning is lightning , it's all the same.
But what do I know I put salt in my beer and will only eat dry toast.
I put that photo on a FB photography site last night and got 21 likes so far. I'm gonna be rich.

I don't know much about lightening (or anything else) but I'm told dry lightening is when there is not a torrent of rain that accompanies it. I guess the theory is that it if rains like a cow peeing on a flat rock, the rain will put out the fire started by lightening. Or something like that. 

PS: Can't help but being reminded that the odds of getting struck by lightening TWICE are better than winning the Lotto. 

Now...back to fires, sunsets, and lightening.
This is a pretty good blog if you are interested in more info on the fires  in the state.

http://wildfireoregondeptofforestry.blogspot.com/
(08-05-2017, 04:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote: This is a pretty good blog if you are interested in more info on the fires  in the state.

Thanks but it doesn't interest me at all.
(08-05-2017, 04:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote: This is a pretty good blog if you are interested in more info on the fires  in the state.

I use https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx

Northwest Interagency Coordination Center for the maps showing fire perimeters and daily updates, plus other interesting info.
The one I posted came in my inbox this morning so I posted it. I've used the one you posted too, but I live in the city now so don't bother with any nowadays.
SMOKE SUCKS!
I mean, for fucks sake....I may take up smoking cigarettes just to inhale some cleaner air.

http://www.grantspassweather.com/images/...cam1_live/
(08-28-2017, 12:39 PM)GPnative Wrote: I mean, for fucks sake....I may take up smoking cigarettes just to inhale some cleaner air.

I looked at the video and it looks pretty bad. Although the view is just some mountain and I have no idea how far I am looking.
It must be as bad here or worse because I'm four miles from Table Rock and I can barley see it.
(08-28-2017, 12:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 12:39 PM)GPnative Wrote: I mean, for fucks sake....I may take up smoking cigarettes just to inhale some cleaner air.

I looked at the video and it looks pretty bad. Although the view is just some mountain and I have no idea how far I am looking.
It must be as bad here or worse because I'm four miles from Table Rock and I can barley see it.

Typically that camera is angled in such a way you'd see the entire surrounding city looking North.....but I don't monitor it all that often, so the angle could change, but none the less, it's fucking smokey.
(08-28-2017, 01:40 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Typically that camera is angled in such a way you'd see the entire surrounding city looking North.....but I don't monitor it all that often, so the angle could change, but none the less, it's fucking smokey.

From the comment section below the view.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where this feed is coming from. What direction are we looking at? Is that the Rogue on the left? What road is that on the very bottom going the the right? Thanks so much. This view is awesome! [Image: clap.gif]

Reply: The camera is looking west from Fielder Mountain east of Grants Pass. On the lower left side of the view is the Rogue River. The road in the bottom middle is Interstate 5.

Smoke! Smoke! Smoke!  I tried to take a picture this morning of that blood red sun and it didn't even register on the camera!  It's awful. And thinking about long it is going to continue is quite depressing.
We're headed south on I-5... as soon as we hit Salem the smoke got really thick.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(08-28-2017, 04:53 PM)Scrapper Wrote: We're headed south on I-5... as soon as we hit Salem the smoke got really thick.

Interesting.  I've been up north twice this week and once we hit Roseburg it lightens up. When we cross Roseburg coming south it gets insane.
(08-28-2017, 04:46 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Smoke! Smoke! Smoke!  I tried to take a picture this morning of that blood red sun and it didn't even register on the camera!  It's awful. And thinking about long it is going to continue is quite depressing.

That pic is from a Canon 60d.

Anyway I feel sorry fort you guys who have Asthma or whatever like my wife.. The air quality is listed as "unhealthy"

But it's been saying that for quite a while and at my house the smoke is the worst it has ever been.
So I looked it up and it's at 190. It's only ten points away from being VERY unhealthy.
Driving thru Salem

[Image: fd29068439e06293f930557272f3eb6d.jpg]

(08-28-2017, 04:19 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 01:40 PM)GPnative Wrote:

From the comment section below the view.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where this feed is coming from. What direction are we looking at? Is that the Rogue on the left? What road is that on the very bottom going the the right? Thanks so much. This view is awesome! [Image: clap.gif]

Reply: The camera is looking west from Fielder Mountain east of Grants Pass. On the lower left side of the view is the Rogue River. The road in the bottom middle is Interstate 5.

I know that place. You should be able to see all of Grants Pass and far to the west. Normally.  ach!