The "Homeless"
So, todays paper (MT) reporting about homeless folks and "exclusion zones". Homeless people peeing in our public parks, dangerous actors on the Greenway, etc.

Times have changed. Still...during the Great Depression were there hoards of homeless folks peeing in public parks? (I'm old, but not enough to know about this). 

I understand the economy has changed, jobs shipped to Mexico and China, robots doing what people once did, and more and more shopping online. 

I guess I'm a bit ashamed that I have to wonder if there isn't a core group of these folks who simply don't want to work and are willing to live in substandard circumstances just to "hang out". I gotta be wrong. I'm sure I'm wrong. 

I'd really be curious to know how others feel about this stuff.  Embarrassed
There are not enough public bathrooms. Perhaps they need an area in the park, designated for peeing.
(11-02-2017, 09:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, todays paper (MT) reporting about homeless folks and "exclusion zones". Homeless people peeing in our public parks, dangerous actors on the Greenway, etc.

Times have changed. Still...during the Great Depression were there hoards of homeless folks peeing in public parks? (I'm old, but not enough to know about this). 

I understand the economy has changed, jobs shipped to Mexico and China, robots doing what people once did, and more and more shopping online. 

I guess I'm a bit ashamed that I have to wonder if there isn't a core group of these folks who simply don't want to work and are willing to live in substandard circumstances just to "hang out". I gotta be wrong. I'm sure I'm wrong. 

I guess I'm a bit ashamed that I have to wonder if there isn't a core group of these folks who simply don't want to work and are willing to live in substandard circumstances just to "hang out". I gotta be wrong. I'm sure I'm wrong

Of course you are not wrong.
(11-02-2017, 02:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 09:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, todays paper (MT) reporting about homeless folks and "exclusion zones". Homeless people peeing in our public parks, dangerous actors on the Greenway, etc.

I guess I'm a bit ashamed that I have to wonder if there isn't a core group of these folks who simply don't want to work and are willing to live in substandard circumstances just to "hang out". I gotta be wrong. I'm sure I'm wrong

It it's true (and I guess it is) some people with put up with all kinds of misery just to keep from having to break a sweat. I swear, I think before I'd live like that or beg on the streets, I'd do "2nd story work" and steal stuff from rich folks. The only thing I've eve begged for is....well, you know.  Embarrassed
(11-02-2017, 04:13 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 02:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It it's true (and I guess it is) some people with put up with all kinds of misery just to keep from having to break a sweat. I swear, I think before I'd live like that or beg on the streets, I'd do "2nd story work" and steal stuff from rich folks. The only thing I've eve begged for is....well, you know.  Embarrassed

I used to know a guy who lived in an old motor home on a property near me. A hard core alcoholic. He was getting disability, about 700 bucks a month.
The county made him leave and he said he was going back to live on the streets again. I said you could rent a room.
He said "no I like living on the street" He had a little dog too. I don't know what ever happened to him. I used to see him sitting around with the other bu..... er homeless people.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that all the homeless people here are from the VA, but there is a large population of homeless here from the Dom and VA here. Apparently, they have a drug and alcohol treatment center that is the end of the line for vets in recovery. They are shipped here from other States. Their fare is paid to come to the treatment center, but of course, they can walk out or just not succeed...and having no paid fare home, they just spill out in our community. Our Mission also. I love the guy who runs the Mission, Will Holmbreck, he's an amazing man, but apparently we have such a top notch Mission that other communities ship their people here. He told me about how one night, around 1:00 AM a police car from Douglas County arrived. To drop off one man. A vagrant in their community that they didn't know what to do with. This was the best and closest place. And to be clear, city and county officials know this. I've heard them say it. I've also heard city officials here talk about shipping undesirables to other peoples communities. There's also an information highway among the homeless. Decades ago, I was homeless and I remember the homeless would network with each other and talk about who had the best soup kitchen. (St. Francis in Santa Cruz) and who had the best shelters, and who was giving away sleeping bags and so on, and which communities were 'easier' to live in. I suspect that might be the case with Medford.
(11-02-2017, 05:58 PM)Juniper Wrote: Just to be clear, I'm not saying that all the homeless people here are from the VA, but there is a large population of homeless here from the Dom and VA here.  Apparently, they have a drug and alcohol treatment center that is the end of the line for vets in recovery. They are shipped here from other States.  Their fare is paid to come to the treatment center, but of course, they can walk out or just not succeed...and having no paid fare home, they just spill out in our community.  Our Mission also. I love the guy who runs the Mission, Will Holmbreck, he's an amazing man, but apparently we have such a top notch Mission that other communities ship their people here.  He told me about how one night, around 1:00 AM a police car from Douglas County arrived.  To drop off one man. A vagrant in their community that they didn't know what to do with.  This was the best and closest place.  And to be clear, city and county officials know this. I've heard them say it. I've also heard city officials here talk about shipping  undesirables to other peoples communities. There's also an information highway among the homeless. Decades ago, I was homeless and I remember the homeless would network with each other and talk about who had the best soup kitchen. (St. Francis in Santa Cruz) and who had the best shelters, and who was giving away sleeping bags and so on, and which communities were 'easier' to live in.  I suspect that might be the case with Medford.
Good points...so much I don't know about this stuff. I wish we could afford to tax ourselves to provide SOME kind of shelter. If for no other reason so we would not have to deal with their antisocial behavior in our parks and other public places.
(11-02-2017, 06:07 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 05:58 PM)Juniper Wrote: Just to be clear, I'm not saying that all the homeless people here are from the VA, but there is a large population of homeless here from the Dom and VA here.  Apparently, they have a drug and alcohol treatment center that is the end of the line for vets in recovery. They are shipped here from other States.  Their fare is paid to come to the treatment center, but of course, they can walk out or just not succeed...and having no paid fare home, they just spill out in our community.  Our Mission also. I love the guy who runs the Mission, Will Holmbreck, he's an amazing man, but apparently we have such a top notch Mission that other communities ship their people here.  He told me about how one night, around 1:00 AM a police car from Douglas County arrived.  To drop off one man. A vagrant in their community that they didn't know what to do with.  This was the best and closest place.  And to be clear, city and county officials know this. I've heard them say it. I've also heard city officials here talk about shipping  undesirables to other peoples communities. There's also an information highway among the homeless. Decades ago, I was homeless and I remember the homeless would network with each other and talk about who had the best soup kitchen. (St. Francis in Santa Cruz) and who had the best shelters, and who was giving away sleeping bags and so on, and which communities were 'easier' to live in.  I suspect that might be the case with Medford.
Good points...so much I don't know about this stuff. I wish we could afford to tax ourselves to provide SOME kind of shelter. If for no other reason so we would not have to deal with their antisocial behavior in our parks and other public places.

Well, it's a double edged sword, isn't it. "Better" is a draw.  I've been told, by homeless that Central Point is much harder to live in.
(11-02-2017, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well, it's a double edged sword, isn't it. "Better" is a draw.  I've been told, by homeless that Central Point is much harder to live in.
Maybe a "multi-edged" sword. What I don't know about this problem is about everything. I react to the little bit I'm exposed to, but admit I know nothing of all the underlying causes. Still, I have to suspect there are folks on the streets who simply find it "easier" than doing what it takes to find some kind of work. But I guess the key word in my sentence is "suspect". I was so lucky to come of age in the day when anybody who really wanted to work could find a job that provided at least the basic needs.
(11-02-2017, 06:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Maybe a "multi-edged" sword. What I don't know about this problem is about everything. I react to the little bit I'm exposed to, but admit I know nothing of all the underlying causes. Still, I have to suspect there are folks on the streets who simply find it "easier" than doing what it takes to find some kind of work. But I guess the key word in my sentence is "suspect". I was so lucky to come of age in the day when anybody who really wanted to work could find a job that provided at least the basic needs.
Of course there are. Multi edged is right.
(11-02-2017, 06:36 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Of course there are. Multi edged is right.

In a better world we would be able to care for "the least among us".  Sad
There's no housing.
(11-02-2017, 07:06 PM)bbqboy Wrote: There's no housing.

See Barbie, We KNOW that. What we don't know is how to provide the necessary housing. Can we put you in a dormitory someplace, feed you oatmeal and raisins, and take whatever income you have to house the folks who need it? Knowing the problem is the easy part.
(11-02-2017, 07:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

See Barbie, We KNOW that. What we don't know is how to provide the necessary housing. Can we put you in a dormitory someplace, feed you oatmeal and raisins, and take whatever income you have to house the folks who need it? Knowing the problem is the easy part.

Actually there is hardly any housing for those who have means to pay. And it's being outpriced.
(11-02-2017, 07:13 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Actually there is hardly any housing for those who have means to pay. And it's being outpriced.
That was my point, Tia. There may come a time when we will have to do all we can to provide more subsidized housing to keep people off the streets and not peeing in our public parks. But, it WILL be expensive and those of us who do have incomes best be ready to pony up.

Again I'm being slagged by Wonky. I'm not homeless so your whole condescending tone is misplaced.
There literally is no rental stock. The vacancy rate is minuscule.
(11-02-2017, 07:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote:

Again I'm being slagged by Wonky. I'm not homeless so your whole condescending tone is misplaced.

Exactly. And the rents are skyrocketing. It's rent gouging and apparently it's just ok?
(11-02-2017, 07:28 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote:

Exactly. And the rents are skyrocketing. It's rent gouging and apparently it's just ok?

Hey guys: Did you miss post #15!
So, Wonky, let me tell you MY situation, I'm that close to being on the streets myself. I've lived in the same house for 25 years. I rent. And I don't make tons of money. I talked to a financial advisor a few  years back, and the advice I was given, was that, given my age and situation, renting was a better option for me than trying to buy,  because of maintenance and repairs and upkeep and it's just me and I have no help. Fine. I keep renting.  Last week, I was given a $500 dollar a month rent increase.  What the hell! How am I supposed to do that? I can't. There's nothing cheaper. There's nothing period.  So...what's to become of me?  Hell if I know.  But if I can't do it, I can't imagine how others can do it with less. It's a very wicked thing going on
(11-02-2017, 07:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, Wonky, let me tell you MY situation, I'm that close to being on the streets myself. I've lived in the same house for 25 years. I rent. And I don't make tons of money. I talked to a financial advisor a few  years back, and the advice I was given, was that, given my age and situation, renting was a better option for me than trying to buy,  because of maintenance and repairs and upkeep and it's just me and I have no help. Fine. I keep renting.  Last week, I was given a $500 dollar a month rent increase.  What the hell! How am I supposed to do that? I can't. There's nothing cheaper. There's nothing period.  So...what's to become of me?  Hell if I know.  But if I can't do it, I can't imagine how others can do it with less. It's a very wicked thing going on

That really sucks. We were very fortunate in our renting days that we had super kind landlords. I rented one place for 12 years and he never increased the rent. On the flip side, we left the place better than it was when we moved in, he appreciated us as much as we appreciated him. I wish more landlords were like that.