why in the hell do people stack rocks?
I joined a pacific NW Photography group. I saw this photo and I wanted to say.... why didn't you kick those rocks along with the idiot who stacked them in to the river. Laughing Laughing

I've been on THIS forum too long LOL

[Image: 23380221_1737272626323297_53318503787542...e=5A9D2FB5]
Duh, to mark their territory. Pissing wouldn't do, the river washes it away.
Is this a serious question? Unsure
(11-14-2017, 09:13 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Is this a serious question? Unsure

Well it wasn't really but when i think about it, and the fact that it's so common YES it's a serious question.

But I already know the answer. Because they saw some other dumb shit doing it.
I'm pretty sure there are many different "real" reasons for them depending on where in the world you are. Most are markers (as you'd' expect) ,but somewhere, sometime in human history they likely had a spiritual aspect also. 

Most of the ones used as markers have been mistakenly given spiritual significance like the ones used by the Pacific Islanders to aid them in finding their productive fishing grounds whilst out in their canoes. 

So why do people stack the rocks YOU see out and about? Unless it was an actual marker to help someone find their way back to their car, it's because some hippity-dippity had nothing better to do.  Razz

Deadly serious!  TV is a fairy rock hater!
I've seen 'em, grinned, and gone on my way. It never occurred to me that it should piss me off.

The fact that it DOES piss off TVGuy? I think I'll start doing it......
'Cause it's easier then stacking puppys. Duh!
It's a hell of a lot better than graffiti, but maybe not as fun as stacking puppies.
(11-14-2017, 04:22 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I'm pretty sure there are many different "real" reasons for them depending on where in the world you are. Most are markers (as you'd' expect) ,but somewhere, sometime in human history they likely had a spiritual aspect also. 

Most of the ones used as markers have been mistakenly given spiritual significance like the ones used by the Pacific Islanders to aid them in finding their productive fishing grounds whilst out in their canoes. 

So why do people stack the rocks YOU see out and about? Unless it was an actual marker to help someone find their way back to their car, it's because some hippity-dippity had nothing better to do.  Razz

Yes of course stacked rocks are used as trail markers and could even save a life.
But all the ones I see are exactly what you said...some hippity-dippity had nothing better to do Laughing
(11-14-2017, 08:03 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Deadly serious!  TV is a fairy rock hater!

I am indeed.
(11-14-2017, 09:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: It's a hell of a lot better than graffiti, but maybe not as fun as stacking puppies.

The only reason it's better than graffiti is because it's easier to remove. IMO it's the same thing.

It's an affront on mother nature. It just means that instead of looking at something that was unchanged for hundreds or thousands of years.
You get to look at some stupid unnatural thing that to me is no better than litter.
(11-15-2017, 02:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 09:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: It's a hell of a lot better than graffiti, but maybe not as fun as stacking puppies.

The only reason it's better than graffiti is because it's easier to remove. IMO it's the same thing.

It's an affront on mother nature. It just means that instead of looking at something that was unchanged for hundreds or thousands of years.
You get to look at some stupid unnatural thing that to me is no better than litter.

Well, I hear what you're saying....I'm not sure I agree.  We change mother nature just by walking on the ground. If it's not changing a  habitat or water flow, I'm not sure what harm it does.
(11-15-2017, 07:22 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well, I hear what you're saying....I'm not sure I agree.  We change mother nature just by walking on the ground. If it's not changing a  habitat or water flow, I'm not sure what harm it does.

As long as it pisses him off, it's worth doing.

For me it harms the natural beauty. And just because we accidentally leave a path where a lot of us walk   I don't see how that compares to purposely rearranging rocks on a landscape.

Spray painting boulders doesn't change habitat or water flow either. So is that OK with you? Wink
(11-15-2017, 08:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

For me it harms the natural beauty. And just because we accidentally leave a path where a lot of us walk   I don't see how that compares to purposely rearranging rocks on a landscape.

Spray painting boulders doesn't change  habitat or water flow either. So is that OK with you? Wink

Jesus, give it a break, Wonky......

Spray painting boulders doesn't change  habitat or water flow either. So is that OK with you? Wink
Yeah, I know that's how you feel, I just don't agree.  I don't think it's the same as spraypainting boulders though... Neutral
BTW, if I cared enough to make one, I would make my own little fairy rock tower. I love them. But don't feel the need to make them. We can still be friends. Big Grin
(11-15-2017, 09:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yeah, I know that's how you feel, I just don't agree.  I don't think it's the same as spraypainting boulders though... Neutral
I didn't say it was the same
(11-15-2017, 09:33 PM)Juniper Wrote: BTW, if I cared enough to make one, I would make my own little fairy rock tower. I love them. But don't feel the need to make them.  We can still be friends.  Big Grin

Maybe we'll see  BWA ha