Feeling Tense?
Try this. 
Breath in, then exhale twice as long as the inhale. 

Hey, you could Google it.  Smiling
I've known about this for years...and years....and years...I do it a lot...I'm not sure I believe it helps, but many swear by it.
(11-18-2017, 10:43 AM)Juniper Wrote: I've known about this for years...and years....and years...I do it a lot...I'm not sure I believe it helps, but many swear by it.

There does seem to some "technique" that helps. "They" say that it's important to inflate the diaphragm rather than pulling air into the stomach...that is, when we inhale our stomach should only raise a bit and not "pooch out". Also, "they" say that when we exhale (twice as long is the inhale) we should purse our lips as if we were blowing air from a straw. 

What do I know. I do practice it and have for years. (Used to date a hippy gal who was "into" LOTS of stuff like that. Had me eating nothing but brown rice...lasted for about 2 days) 

Whatever: For some of us stress seems to be more of a factor than others. The breathing thing works for me, but I still get cracked up and wired and it shows up here a lot when I post.  Wink. I wonder....maybe cutting down coffee from 15 cups a day might help?  Surprised
Funny thing; when I first learned about this method it just made me laugh, because it's just yoga breathing, and that's been around for centuries.
(11-18-2017, 11:34 AM)Juniper Wrote: Funny thing; when I first learned about this method it just made me laugh, because it's just yoga breathing, and that's been around for centuries.
So true!  Big Grin 
But Yoga has a variety of breathing practices. That "Hippy girl" who graced my life for awhile tried to teach me the Yoga "Complete Breath". I didn't get it. (No...you don't have to breath through your eyelids...but almost)
Do you think it's just a matter of thinking it helps so it does?
(11-18-2017, 11:47 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 11:34 AM)Juniper Wrote: Funny thing; when I first learned about this method it just made me laugh, because it's just yoga breathing, and that's been around for centuries.
So true!  Big Grin 
But Yoga has a variety of breathing practices. That "Hippy girl" who graced my life for awhile tried to teach me the Yoga "Complete Breath". I didn't get it. (No...you don't have to breath through your eyelids...but almost)

Well, I think it's a bit like complete breath.    Yoga just teaches breath control.  Lots of different ways, but when I learned this version you are talking about, it reminded me a bit of complete breath.
(11-18-2017, 01:47 PM)Juniper Wrote:
So true!  Big Grin 

Well, I think it's a bit like complete breath.    Yoga just teaches breath control.  Lots of different ways, but when I learned this version you are talking about, it reminded me a bit of complete breath.

Breathing is an involuntary thing. Which is awesome because Lots of us would forget.
So why would we need to breath differently and our own body did not know it was necessary Razz

Sorry but I was born a skeptic and it's in my nature to believe nothing Laughing
(11-18-2017, 09:51 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Try this. 
Breath in, then exhale twice as long as the inhale. 

Hey, you could Google it.  Smiling

Twice as long...
All this time, I thought it was twice as much.
(11-18-2017, 01:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
So true!  Big Grin 

Breathing is an involuntary thing. Which is awesome because Lots of us would forget.
So why would we need to breath differently and our own body did not know it was necessary Razz

Sorry but I was born a skeptic and it's in my nature to believe nothing Laughing
Okay, here's the theory (you will no doubt remember I didn't go to medical school)

Most folks breath just fine and as you said it's involuntary so no need to correct anything. For some reason, a few of us don't get it right and tend to exhale more than we should. That screws with the balace of carbon dioxide that remains in our lungs (NO...I DON'T know why) and leads to bad stuff including hyperventilation. The breathing technique of exhaling longer than inhaling (practice sessions) helps out brains remember to breath better and the exercise can be relaxing because the brain likes oxygen more than carbon dioxide. 
I probably got a lot of that wrong. But it's something like that. 
It works for me. If it's all in my head, let's hear it for the placebo effect!
(11-18-2017, 02:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
So true!  Big Grin 

Okay, here's the theory (you will no doubt remember I didn't go to medical school)

Most folks breath just fine and as you said it's involuntary so no need to correct anything. For some reason, a few of us don't get it right and tend to exhale more than we should. That screws with the balace of carbon dioxide that remains in our lungs (NO...I DON'T know why) and leads to bad stuff including hyperventilation. The breathing technique of exhaling longer than inhaling (practice sessions) helps out brains remember to breath better and the exercise can be relaxing because the brain likes oxygen more than carbon dioxide. 

I wonder what else our brain is messing up? Razz
(11-18-2017, 02:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 02:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 11:47 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: So true!  Big Grin 

I wonder what else our brain is messing up? Razz
Speak for yourself. 
My question is more what my brain is getting RIGHT!
So true!  Big Grin 

Well, it's not that people aren't breathing correctly or anything, it's just a form of natural manipulation. We all have muscle, but if we exercise and feed it properly we can have stronger muscles.  We all produce natural endorphins, dopamine, oxytocin, but there things people do to increase the release or effect of these: Exercise, pain, alcohol, drugs, sugar, fats (why people crave those foods) all do this.  This is just another version of that. I believe controlled breathing helps to release more serotonin, which is a mood hormone, and endorphin a pain killing hormone and dopamine and others.  Our bodies can be manipulated to go from an anaerobic state to an aerobic state that creates feelings of well being. So, there's some science behind it.
I prefer to sleep in tents, but if you want to feel them, more power to you.
(11-18-2017, 04:12 PM)Juniper Wrote:
So true!  Big Grin 

Well, it's not that people aren't breathing correctly or anything, it's just a form of natural manipulation. We all have muscle, but if we exercise and feed it properly we can have stronger muscles.
Right. The human body has a natural reaction to being over worked and builds muscle.

We all produce natural endorphins, dopamine, oxytocin, but there things people do to increase the release or effect of these: Exercise, pain, alcohol, drugs, sugar, fats (why people crave those foods) all do this.  This is just another version of that.

I believe that endorphins are released when we do things that our body needs as a form of payment. The same reason sex feels good Razz

I believe controlled breathing helps to release more serotonin, which is a mood hormone, and endorphin a pain killing hormone and dopamine and others.  Our bodies can be manipulated to go from an anaerobic state to an aerobic state that creates feelings of well being. So, there's some science behind it.
Still not totally convinced Why it works but I believe it does work. Big Grin

So all those heavy breathers who call people and say nothing... Might not be creepy after all?
(11-18-2017, 06:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 11:47 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: So true!  Big Grin 

Well, it's not that people aren't breathing correctly or anything, it's just a form of natural manipulation. We all have muscle, but if we exercise and feed it properly we can have stronger muscles.
Right. The human body has a natural reaction to being over worked and builds muscle.

We all produce natural endorphins, dopamine, oxytocin, but there things people do to increase the release or effect of these: Exercise, pain, alcohol, drugs, sugar, fats (why people crave those foods) all do this.  This is just another version of that.

I believe that endorphins are released when we do things that our body needs as a form of payment. The same reason sex feels good Razz

I believe controlled breathing helps to release more serotonin, which is a mood hormone, and endorphin a pain killing hormone and dopamine and others.  Our bodies can be manipulated to go from an anaerobic state to an aerobic state that creates feelings of well being. So, there's some science behind it.

So all those heavy breathers who call people and say nothing... Might not be creepy after all?

Well, what I want to know is, if the body can release all these powerful hormones why don't they do it better?  Like why not just some pain?  Why can't the body reduce great pain? Or correct depression?
(11-18-2017, 08:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 01:47 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, I think it's a bit like complete breath.    Yoga just teaches breath control.  Lots of different ways, but when I learned this version you are talking about, it reminded me a bit of complete breath.

Well, what I want to know is, if the body can release all these powerful hormones why don't they do it better?  Like why not just some pain?  Why can't the body reduce great pain? Or correct depression?

Great pain is there for a reason. It's your body trying to tell you to stop doing whatever it is you are doing that causes the pain. I know that's a DUH comment but it's true.
I think it's from the reptilian part of out brain, like instinct.
Maybe as we continue to evolve in 20 thousand years or so our body will learn to control pain better.
But the pain we feel is why we survived until now.
(11-18-2017, 08:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 01:59 PM)tvguy Wrote: Breathing is an involuntary thing. Which is awesome because Lots of us would forget.

Great pain is there for a reason. It's your body trying to tell you to stop doing whatever it is you are doing that causes the pain. I know that's a DUH comment but it's true.
Maybe as we continue to evolve in 20 thousand years or so our body will learn to control pain better.
No, great pain wouldn't be necessary.  Just enough pain would keep most people safe. What I'm saying is, when an extreme traumatic injury or disease takes place, why doesn't enough dopamine kick in to help it out?
(11-18-2017, 08:28 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 04:12 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, it's not that people aren't breathing correctly or anything, it's just a form of natural manipulation. We all have muscle, but if we exercise and feed it properly we can have stronger muscles.

No, great pain wouldn't be necessary.  Just enough pain would keep most people safe. What I'm saying is, when an extreme traumatic injury or disease takes place, why doesn't enough dopamine kick in to help it out?

God's little joke?
(11-18-2017, 08:28 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 04:12 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, it's not that people aren't breathing correctly or anything, it's just a form of natural manipulation. We all have muscle, but if we exercise and feed it properly we can have stronger muscles.

Really? Then what would the masochist do for fun!   Laughing