Trends
(12-19-2017, 04:19 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I had to disable Siri ala HAL because I don't need an electric thing telling me what to do. Good.

There was an girls voice that that told me things like.. my door is ajar in a Nisson 200sx I had and it was a 1980 something LOL.
(12-19-2017, 11:10 AM)Juniper Wrote: This one is not a "trend"; more a sign of the times they are a changin' and I'm a couple of decades behind.  I am changing my case load to a different position at work and went with the coordinator of those cases to each house to do a home visit. Now, when I go somewhere in my car, I get in the car which may or may not be locked, which, if so, I unlock with a key and get in and stick the key in the ignition and start the car. If I want to listen to the radio I push the on button and usually NPR comes on. Now if I don't know where where I'm going, I usually will have looked up the address online on my desk computer in my office so I've got an idea where I'm going. If not, I may google map the address on my work phone and let it talk me to where I need to go.  I get to where I'm going, I get out, I shut the door, maybe or maybe not locking it with the button inside the car and so on. Then when I'm done I go through the same sequence and  I go back to work. Done.

My co worker is probably 20 years younger than I am. We go on the visits and we take her car. She starts and unlocks her car with her remote 20 feet before we get there.  When we get inside her monitor screen shows the surroundings She looks at the screen to back out. She talks to the computer about where she wants to go and gets directions....we go. we get out; the car automatically locks it self.  Same thing repeated for the next visits.  She even asks it for driving directions two blocks away from the office!  All the while the Sirius radio is pumping out Christmas tunes, which is making me cringe.  She honestly didn't know how to get down the street without using google map.  I doubt she knows how to use a key....anyway, the entire thing made me feel a bit off.... Unsure   I'm sure I'll grow into these things.

I went to get a hands free tel unit for my car. I've had about three I've gone through and all had an ear piece.
So I'm at Walmart for another reason and the two kids I talked too couldn't help me because a hands free tel device for my car without a headset was too much to ask.
So I left, went to Best Buy and I was getting the same story until one kid said.. DUDE just buy a Bluetooth stereo they are only 59 bucks.
I said give me one he got it, gave it to me and said "boom" Razz

I always use the GPS on my phone even when I'm pretty sure I know where I"m going. So now I will be able to listen to it through my stereo Big Grin . Plus I will be able to voice command calls.
(12-19-2017, 04:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 11:10 AM)Juniper Wrote: This one is not a "trend"; more a sign of the times they are a changin' and I'm a couple of decades behind.  I am changing my case load to a different position at work and went with the coordinator of those cases to each house to do a home visit. Now, when I go somewhere in my car, I get in the car which may or may not be locked, which, if so, I unlock with a key and get in and stick the key in the ignition and start the car. If I want to listen to the radio I push the on button and usually NPR comes on. Now if I don't know where where I'm going, I usually will have looked up the address online on my desk computer in my office so I've got an idea where I'm going. If not, I may google map the address on my work phone and let it talk me to where I need to go.  I get to where I'm going, I get out, I shut the door, maybe or maybe not locking it with the button inside the car and so on. Then when I'm done I go through the same sequence and  I go back to work. Done.

My co worker is probably 20 years younger than I am. We go on the visits and we take her car. She starts and unlocks her car with her remote 20 feet before we get there.  When we get inside her monitor screen shows the surroundings She looks at the screen to back out. She talks to the computer about where she wants to go and gets directions....we go. we get out; the car automatically locks it self.  Same thing repeated for the next visits.  She even asks it for driving directions two blocks away from the office!  All the while the Sirius radio is pumping out Christmas tunes, which is making me cringe.  She honestly didn't know how to get down the street without using google map.  I doubt she knows how to use a key....anyway, the entire thing made me feel a bit off.... Unsure   I'm sure I'll grow into these things.

I went to get a hands free tel unit for my car. I've had about three I've gone through and all had an ear piece.
So I'm at Walmart for another reason and the two kids I talked too couldn't help me because a hands free tel device for my car without a headset was too much to ask.
So I left, went to Best Buy and I was getting the same story until one kid said.. DUDE just buy a Bluetooth stereo they are only 59 bucks.

I always use the GPS on my phone even when I'm pretty sure I know where I"m going. So now I will be able to listen to it through my stereo Big Grin . Plus I will be able to voice command calls.

You are more ahead of the curve than I am.
Facial lenses.  Weird little apps on  your phones that will make you look like a cat or something.  My oldest daughter uses this a lot.
(12-19-2017, 05:24 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I was already pulled over once for talking on a cell phone. If there was a next time it would really cost some serious cashola. Sad
(12-19-2017, 05:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I was already pulled over once for talking on a cell phone. If there was a next time it would really cost some serious cashola. Sad
Yeah, I just stick the phone in my vest or purse and leave it on for the navigating when I need it.  I put in the request before I drive.  But other than that, I've got no game! Big Grin
(12-19-2017, 07:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 05:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yeah, I just stick the phone in my vest or purse and leave it on for the navigating when I need it.  I put in the request before I drive.  But other than that, I've got no game! Big Grin
That what I do also with the GPS. I used to do that when using the phone.. It's hands free and legal. Except for when I dialed numbers.
But NOW for some reason when I use the "speaker" on my phone whomever I'm talking to can't hear me.
(12-19-2017, 11:43 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

That's cute.  Big Grin

Before this car, which is a 1994, I had another car. I took a co worker in it somewhere one day. It was hot. I had no air conditioning. I apologized and said "you can roll down the window if you feel too hot."  She looked at the door and said "How?"  I answered "That thing....it's called a handle...you roll it."
(12-19-2017, 08:33 PM)Juniper Wrote:

That's cute.  Big Grin

Before this car, which is a 1994, I had another car. I took a co worker in it somewhere one day. It was hot. I had no air conditioning. I apologized and said "you can roll down the window if you feel too hot."  She looked at the door and said "How?"  I answered "That thing....it's called a handle...you roll it."

Laughing Laughing 

Is it mean if I laugh?

That's cute.  Big Grin

No way Unsure

That's cute.  Big Grin

Kids.....  Laughing
And flat earth "science" is making a comeback.  Why?  I mean, what would believing this get you?  Why would it matter?  I haven't looked at any of the rhetoric, but mostly, I just don't get why?
(12-28-2017, 02:00 PM)Juniper Wrote: And flat earth "science" is making a comeback.  Why?  I mean, what would believing this get you?  Why would it matter?  I haven't looked at any of the rhetoric, but mostly, I just don't get why?

I saw a meme on facebook that said it's impossible for the Earth to be flat, because cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
(12-28-2017, 02:25 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 02:00 PM)Juniper Wrote: And flat earth "science" is making a comeback.  Why?  I mean, what would believing this get you?  Why would it matter?  I haven't looked at any of the rhetoric, but mostly, I just don't get why?

I saw a meme on facebook that said it's impossible for the Earth to be flat, because cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

Big Grin  I saw that this morning.

I think the same answer to your question or actually the same question applies to why.....
People believe 9-11 was an inside job, those were not really planes, the twin towers had bombs in them..
The Bermuda triangle...Area 51...Bigfoot.. the moon landing was faked....Other people were shooting and not just Oswald on the grassy knoll....Marijuana cures cancer.. Paranormal things... mind readers The Clinton Family had 50 + people murdered....levitation.. Chem trails

There are many many more I can't think of at the moment. I think people who believe in these type of things do so because it makes them feel like they are special. That they are not fools like everyone else. And that is way more important than logic and common sense.
(12-28-2017, 03:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I think the same answer to your question or actually the same question applies to why.....
People believe 9-11 was an inside job, those were not really planes, the twin towers had bombs in them..
The Bermuda triangle...Area 51...Bigfoot.. the moon landing was faked....Other people were shooting and not just Oswald on the grassy knoll....Marijuana cures cancer.. Paranormal things... mind readers The Clinton Family had 50 + people murdered....levitation.. Chem trails

There are many many more I can't think of at the moment. I think people who believe in these type of things do so because it makes them feel like they are special. That they are not fools like everyone else. And that is way more important than logic and common sense.

But those reasons are because people feel there IS a reason. That there's a reason for the cover ups...to hide the secrets, the conspiracies; or because it's mysterious.  But...believing in a flat earth and saying we've all been duped...to what end?  I admit I've never looked at what they say. But most things that people buy into are either enjoyable for their mystery, people like a mystery or the sense of secrecy...that something is being covered up...but this?  It doesn't seem to have much 'pay off' so to speak.
[Image: 39b3a6918adb6d34dd9fb4b69e401297.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
[Image: flat%20earth%20cat.jpg]
Those silly fidget spinners were a trend. They were originally supposed to be a learning aid to special needs children, but they took off.
(12-29-2017, 10:31 AM)Juniper Wrote: Those silly fidget spinners were a trend.  They were originally supposed to be a learning aid to special needs children, but they took off.

They took off because there are so many different colors or lights or whatever. My little one brought one home from school and played with it a lot at first. Everytime we see a different color she has to have it, but never plays with any she has anymore.