Music
(02-11-2018, 02:02 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 01:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 01:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 12:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 11:51 AM)Juniper Wrote: I said I don't like Pink Floyd covers and I mean that, but this woman does a great job.  Whenever I post the video links they don't play, so I'll include the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_P-t0idgq

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_P-t0idgqI][/url]

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone likes a cover unless they do a good job Razz

That sounds obvious, but it's not always true. Sometimes a cover is technically a "good job" but isn't a good cover for other reasons.  I actually don't really see much point in this version because to me it's not really a cover, it's a just a woman showing her talent. She's not interpreting the song as much as just replicating it really well.  So, ultimately, it is meaningless to me as art other than to nod to the girl and say: Nice work!

When I used to go to bars I would go to the ones that had good bands. Back in the big city ( baw ha) Columbus Ohio, there were awesome bands and some of the players were every bit as good as all those people we all know because they got famous.
Anyway most of these bands if not ALL of them played popular music that we all knew. No one called it a cover. I don't think that term was even invented.
But to see a good or great band LIVE playing songs you love was always well worth it for me.

The girls is doing a VERY good job and maybe in some club it would be fun to watch and listen to.. But that video? not so much other than for me a learning tool because I can see exactly what she is doing.

Right. It's more of a great way to see her talent. 

But yeah, things were called covers back in the day.  I think though, back in the day, it was more of an industry term and less commonly used by the the everyday consumer/listener.
Probably. I don't think I ever heard the term until Al invented the internet.
Well, no. Cover bands were the bands that got gigs and made money. My best friend and his brother went that route rather than the tortured suburban 22 year olds holed up in the parent's basement trying to turn out anthems of teenage angst.
My friends played the Holiday Inn circuit all thru the upper Midwest for years, then Canada for a while. Then they came back to KC and booked themselves and also managed to do a few USO tours.
Great thing about the show band gig is free rooms and meals plus a handsome paycheck. They made enough when they came off the road to buy Grand Funk's home studio from Bob Heil sound because GFR had broken up amid lawsuits and such.
(02-11-2018, 05:18 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Well, no. Cover bands were the bands that got gigs and made money. My best friend and his brother went that route rather than the tortured suburban 22 year olds holed up in the parent's basement trying to turn out anthems of teenage angst.
My friends played the Holiday Inn circuit all thru the upper Midwest for years, then Canada for a while. Then they came back to KC and booked themselves and also managed to do a few USO tours.
Great thing about the show band gig is free rooms and meals plus a handsome paycheck. They made enough when they came off the road to buy Grand Funk's home studio from Bob Heil sound because GFR had broken up amid lawsuits and such.

All the original Beatles work was covers till 1962 when they finally starting recording a few of their own, before the Lennon McCartney songwriting partnership was firmly instituted.  They made their early career looking for and performing covers, often B sides.
(02-11-2018, 05:27 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 05:18 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Well, no. Cover bands were the bands that got gigs and made money. My best friend and his brother went that route rather than the tortured suburban 22 year olds holed up in the parent's basement trying to turn out anthems of teenage angst.

All the original Beatles work was covers till 1962 when they finally starting recording a few of their own, before the Lennon McCartney songwriting partnership was firmly instituted.  They made their early career looking for and performing covers, often B sides.

Yes and yes because no one (like BBQ said) wanted to hear some bands original crap.. UNTIL They were famous then it's all good.

All the original Beatles work was covers till 1962

Because they were just playing pubs and trying to make a buck I think?
(02-11-2018, 05:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 05:27 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes and yes because no one (like BBQ said) wanted to hear some bands original crap.. UNTIL They were famous then it's all good.

All the original Beatles work was covers till 1962

Because they were just playing pubs and trying to make a buck I think?

Because that's how they started.  That's what they did.  They had a following doing covers.  They just hadn't dipped their toes very deep into their own songwriting abilities yet...but they existed that way for a while.  They didn't really start churning them out until after they had a contract, and those first albums were a lot of covers for a while.
(02-11-2018, 02:02 PM)Juniper Wrote: Right. It's more of a great way to see her talent. 

But yeah, things were called covers back in the day.  I think though, back in the day, it was more of an industry term and less commonly used by the the everyday consumer/listener.

What did they play at The Golden Bear?  Razz
(02-11-2018, 06:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 02:02 PM)Juniper Wrote: Right. It's more of a great way to see her talent. 

I'm not sure I get the joke on this one, but I went there quite a bit.
(02-11-2018, 06:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes I know. There is no joke. Places like that booked more original bands didn't thay?
(02-11-2018, 06:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Yes I know. There is no joke. Places like that booked more original bands didn't thay?

Yes they did.  Neil Young Played there, Leon Russel, Maria Muldaur, Taj Majal, and lots of comics...they also had local bands...a big local OC band played there a lot called "Honk".
The Catalyst in Santa Cruz was the same.
(02-11-2018, 06:11 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes they did.  Neil Young Played there, Leon Russel, Maria Muldaur, Taj Majal, and lots of comics...they also had local bands...a big local OC band played there a lot called "Honk".

These guys? You can do a little reminiscing.  Big Grin  

https://craigbuhler.com/events-calendar/honk/

(02-11-2018, 07:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 06:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote: What did they play at The Golden Bear?  Razz

These guys? You can do a little reminiscing.  Big Grin  

https://craigbuhler.com/events-calendar/honk/

Funny that...I went to quite a few Honk concerts, but really didn't really love them all that much.  (didn't hate them)  They were very big in their years.

I had never heard of the Golden bear so I looked it up.
These people all played there.. Janis Joplin, Arlo Guthrie, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hoyt Axton, Jackson Browne, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Dave Mason, Tower of Power, The Chambers Brothers and Jerry Garcia.

So are any of you California transplants fans of the Blasters?
(02-12-2018, 12:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 06:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote: What did they play at The Golden Bear?  Razz

These people all played there.. Janis Joplin, Arlo Guthrie, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hoyt Axton, Jackson Browne, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Dave Mason, Tower of Power, The Chambers Brothers and Jerry Garcia.

Never heard of them.
(02-12-2018, 07:30 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 12:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 06:01 PM)Juniper Wrote: I'm not sure I get the joke on this one, but I went there quite a bit.

Never heard of them.

Me either.

Bands the company I worked for(at one time or other) either managed, hired for clubs and concerts or worked in the studio with: War, Earth, Wind and Fire, Pat Benatar, Van Halen (before their signing with WB) Quiet Riot, Snow, Smile, London, The Orchids, One, 10 Inch Men and a few I'm probably forgetting.  Embarrassed

Anyone hear of any of those last few that DIDN'T become famous? I'll look and see if I can find any on YouTube to post.
Looking back at this I wonder how I survived these days. lol There's a good chance I was running the sound or lights on this video. Keep in mind this was a bootleg recording when judging.  Laughing

The owner of The Starwood Eddie Nash was quite a tool. The place was NUTS every night and he was at war with the entire neighborhood and police for YEARS. If you're interested, Google him or the club. Sex, drugs and rock and roll baby.
Again, looking back at this I wonder how I survived these days. lol A lot of people didn't. Sad

This is a good look at the scene at that time. You'll see some of the guys in the bands I mentioned. 

This is the Blasters. The guitar player( Keith Wyatt) was not one of the originals but I love this particular song.
It's gotta be played loud Big Grin

[video=youtube] https://youtu.be/0ERkfeV901k[/video]