Evaluate Your Energy Use
I think I'm OK as it says I can can only improve by 24%. I intend to upgrade my water heater when this one goes out and I have a company coming out next week to give me options on a new heating system. 

This one is 20 YO and right now needs a new igniter and some kind of housing is completely cracked and needs replacing for a total of $720. The technician said this one wastes about 20% of the energy used whereas a new model would be 5 or less depending on the model. 

I'll see what the actual total cost is, but the tech thought just under $3000. I did an estimated online savings calculator and it said I'd save 60 - 80 bucks a year with the more efficient model. At this point I'm leaning towards repair what I have and wait until next time. 

Try this and post your results:  Smiling By the way, ET will send you free stuff like LED's and low flow water heads.(look for the link)

https://www.energytrust.org/residential/...=statewide
(02-17-2018, 11:26 AM)Valuesize Wrote: I think I'm OK as it says I can can only improve by 24%. I intend to upgrade my water heater when this one goes out and I have a company coming out next week to give me options on a new heating system. 

This one is 20 YO and right now needs a new igniter and some kind of housing is completely cracked and needs replacing for a total of $720. The technician said this one wastes about 20% of the energy used whereas a new model would be 5 or less depending on the model. 

I'll see what the actual total cost is, but the tech thought just under $3000. I did an estimated online savings calculator and it said I'd save 60 - 80 bucks a year with the more efficient model. At this point I'm leaning towards repair what I have and wait until next time. 

Try this and post your results:  Smiling By the way, ET will send you free stuff like LED's and low flow water heads.(look for the link)

Only one time.  I got some freebies a few years ago and everytime I log in there now, it says I'm already logged as having got those things.
(02-17-2018, 12:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 11:26 AM)Valuesize Wrote: I think I'm OK as it says I can can only improve by 24%. I intend to upgrade my water heater when this one goes out and I have a company coming out next week to give me options on a new heating system. 

Only one time.  I got some freebies a few years ago and everytime I log in there now, it says I'm already logged as having got those things.

Try again after your next move. Our new place has lots of recessed lighting our old place didn't have. They sent some of the new LED that use 9W and brighter than the 23W that were in there. I STILL get on the kids for leaving lights on though!  Laughing
The form is STOOPID It asks what my primary heat source is and it forces me to choose, Gas, electric. oil propane or dual fuel.
If I don't choose one I can't continue.

So I had to choose something I picked gas and moved on. Anyway I have the potential to save 18%... allegedly
(02-17-2018, 12:30 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 12:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Try again after your next move. Our new place has lots of recessed lighting our old place didn't have. They sent some of the new LED that use 9W and brighter than the 23W that were in there. I STILL get on the kids for leaving lights on though!  Laughing
You moved I think which is why you qualify again. I posted about the free stuff a long time ago and quite a few RVFers took advantage. First I got the crappy ass compact florescents.
The second time I got LED's Big Grin

I just tried applying again and it won't let me.

OOPS , I didn't see this at first... "Try again after your next move."

(02-17-2018, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: The form is STOOPID It asks what my primary heat source is and it forces me to choose, Gas, electric. oil propane or dual fuel.

So I had to choose something I picked gas and moved on. Anyway I have the potential to save 18%... allegedly

I think it said choose the MAIN source. You could very well use multiple sources equally and probably do, but MOST(?) have one with a secondary I would think. Wood and pellet aren't purchased through a utility company so you need to leave those out of the equation.
(02-17-2018, 02:53 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: The form is STOOPID It asks what my primary heat source is and it forces me to choose, Gas, electric. oil propane or dual fuel.

I think it said choose the MAIN source. You could very well use multiple sources equally and probably do, but MOST(?) have one with a secondary I would think. Wood and pellet aren't purchased through a utility company so you need to leave those out of the equation.
Yes but none of the choices were my main source. As a matter of fact I don't use ANY Gas, electric. oil propane or dual fuel as a heat source. But I HAD to choose one.

[Image: fz9lbm.jpg]
(02-17-2018, 03:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yes but none of the choices were my main source. As a matter of fact I don't use ANY Gas, electric. oil propane or dual fuel as a heat source. But I HAD to choose one.

I would have picked the one that least affected the final result. Which I guess would be oil? And we KNEW you were a unique individual long ago so most of these type things don't work well for you.  Laughing
(02-17-2018, 03:39 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 03:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I would have picked the one that least affected the final result. Which I guess would be oil? And we KNEW you were a unique individual long ago so most of these type things don't work well for you.  Laughing

I picked gas because I think it's the cheapest. OK I'm unique LOL but a LOT of Oregonians still heat their house with nothing but firewood.
BTW I was able to sign up and get another box of free stuff Razz Big Grin Big Grin
I think I will buy a Heat pump water heater. They use roughly half of the power of a standard electric water heater. The standard water heater costs most of us around $700 a year to run.
Right now I can buy a Heat pump water heater at Grovers with a $300.00 instant rebate from energy trust for $794.00. So if that cuts my bill in half then I save $350 a year.
That means It's paid for in just over two years.

This seems like a no brainer to me.Especially considering I will need a new water heater soon and the old style costs $420.00

http://www.reliancewaterheaters.com/prod...r-warranty
Sounds like a pretty good deal. We have a gas water heater.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(02-21-2018, 04:28 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Sounds like a pretty good deal. We have a gas water heater.

I don't know if it's worth it when you have gas heat.

One thing you will lose is the recovery rate. Gas water heaters heat water the fastest.
(02-21-2018, 05:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 04:28 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Sounds like a pretty good deal. We have a gas water heater.

One thing you will lose is the recovery rate. Gas water heaters heat water the fastest.

If you go tankless, where does the unit go?
(02-21-2018, 05:58 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 05:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:

If you go tankless, where does the unit go?

Why not right where the water heater already is?  They cost a lot to install because you have to have an electrician run circuits for a LOT more power.
The one I was looking at which I think is as small as I could go take two 40 amp two pole circuit breakers. And two number 8 cables to be ran from your panel.

I don't think they are worth it all based on the small amount of money you save.
(02-21-2018, 03:22 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think I will buy a Heat pump water heater. They use roughly half of the power of a standard electric water heater. The standard water heater costs most of us around $700 a year to run.
Right now I can buy a Heat pump water heater at Grovers with a $300.00 instant rebate from energy trust for $794.00. So if that cuts my bill in half then I save $350 a year.

This seems like a no brainer to me.Especially considering I will need a new water heater soon and the old style costs $420.00

Do you have to have a heat pump for this to be practical?  I have a modern air conditioning unit outside on a small slab, but it is not a heat pump,  My heat is from a standard electric forced air furnace.  Would this benefit me?
(02-21-2018, 08:04 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 03:22 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think I will buy a Heat pump water heater. They use roughly half of the power of a standard electric water heater. The standard water heater costs most of us around $700 a year to run.

Do you have to have a heat pump for this to be practical?  I have a modern air conditioning unit outside on a small slab, but it is not a heat pump,  My heat is from a standard electric forced air furnace.  Would this benefit me?
The water heater comes with a heat pump built in to it. It's on top. It uses the heat in the room to heat the water the same way a heat pump works off the outside air when it's above about 40 degrees.

"Heat pump water heaters use electricity to move heat from one place to another instead of generating heat directly. Therefore, they can be two to three times more energy efficient than conventional electric resistance water heaters. To move the heat, heat pumps work like a refrigerator in reverse"

[Image: heat_pump_water_heat.gif?itok=Zk4y6vBI]
For anyone who used the evaluator, do you recall the typical water temperature they said was going into the water heater? Mine was 61 and I'm just curious what yours was.
(02-21-2018, 08:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote: For anyone who used the evaluator, do you recall the typical water temperature they said was going into the water heater? Mine was 61 and I'm just curious what yours was.

I don't remember that question. I have a well so it's pretty cold. I don't know exactly. But unless I'm running a lot of water the water from the well will be in the pressure tank.
And either warming up in the summer or cooling down in the winter.
(02-21-2018, 10:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 08:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote: For anyone who used the evaluator, do you recall the typical water temperature they said was going into the water heater? Mine was 61 and I'm just curious what yours was.

I don't remember that question. I have a well so it's pretty cold. I don't know exactly. But unless I'm running a lot of water the water from the well will be in the pressure tank.
And either warming up in the summer or cooling down in the winter.

There wasn't one. It is given to you in "Understanding Your Results", bottom half of the page on the right.