Record Breaking Weather
Quote:Temperature breaks record in the Bay Area for 10th day in a row

The temperature hit 69 degrees Saturday at the Oakland airport, the highest temperature recorded at the monitoring station on this date, just barely topping the 2016 record of 68, according to the National Weather Service.

This is the 10th consecutive day temperatures have broken a record around the Bay Area, the Weather Service reports. At some locations around Northern California, temperatures in February are running 10 to 15 degrees above the historic average.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/b...604483.php
Quote:Another month, yet another record low for Arctic sea ice extent in a warming world.

January’s average ice extent in the Arctic was 525,000 square miles below the 1981-to-2010 average, making it the lowest January extent in the satellite record. This is an astonishingly large loss of ice — equivalent to 80 percent of Alaska.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo...oKCAueIbIU
[Image: 7a864889fe7dd98e6a1f98f7f1ccc145.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Yay! Getting some snow... finally! [Image: f17cf3db53cb22075328450607fc9b9f.jpg]

Quote:Such warm water is appearing to have an effect on air temperatures. At the north tip of Greenland, about 400 miles to the south of the North Pole, the weather station Cape Morris Jesup has logged a record-crushing 61 hours above freezing so far this calendar year. The previous record, dating to 1980, was 16 hours through the end of April in 2011, according to Robert Rohde, a physicist at Berkeley Earth, a nonprofit that conducts temperature analysis. At one point, the temperature was as high as 43 degrees (6.1 degrees Celsius).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capi...cientists/
(03-01-2018, 01:58 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:Such warm water is appearing to have an effect on air temperatures. At the north tip of Greenland, about 400 miles to the south of the North Pole, the weather station Cape Morris Jesup has logged a record-crushing 61 hours above freezing so far this calendar year. The previous record, dating to 1980, was 16 hours through the end of April in 2011, according to Robert Rohde, a physicist at Berkeley Earth, a nonprofit that conducts temperature analysis. At one point, the temperature was as high as 43 degrees (6.1 degrees Celsius).

I've heard people( AKA) idiots make the case that climate change will be beneficial. Tell that to people in the northern hemisphere. Who rely on frozen rivers and snow covered landscapes to travel, to hunt, to survive.
(03-01-2018, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I've heard people( AKA) idiots make the case that climate change will be beneficial. Tell that to people in the northern hemisphere. Who rely on frozen rivers and snow covered landscapes to travel, to hunt, to survive.

Not to mention permafrost to hold the ground together.

[Image: information_items_5549.jpg]

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/ne...y-to-hell/
(03-01-2018, 06:20 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Not to mention permafrost to hold the ground together.

[Image: information_items_5549.jpg]

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/ne...y-to-hell/

I watched a TV show about this place. It's called Expeditions unknown on the travel channel. The photos here don't even come close to showing the magnitude of this place.
On the show they rappelled down on ropes to search for mammoth tusks and then to tray and extract DNA.
This giant hole was started because they cleared the forest to to gather rock for the roads and it's been melting ever since.
It's a good TV show as far as getting to see ancient or amazing things. It's usually designed around finding some treasure of some kind that may or may not be real.

Yes WONKY you can learn from TV Laughing Razz
Enjoy this wonderful day!
[Image: 5977f8e23b8daeb964d1637bfb96a719.jpg]

They're saying winds 40 mph by this afternoon; 70
tomorrow between Yreka and Mt. Shasta.
(03-12-2018, 09:00 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Enjoy this wonderful day!

I work in a very old building.  It has no real climate control. It has a basement boiler. And in window air conditioners that look very old.  When we get a day like this it gets VERY hot inside.  The face we make is more like this:

[Image: timthumb.png]
(03-12-2018, 06:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I work in a very old building.  It has no real climate control. It has a basement boiler. And in window air conditioners that look very old.  When we get a day like this it gets VERY hot inside.  The face we make is more like this:

Did anybody turn 'on' the very old looking window air conditioners?
Quote:How about this disease-infested rat weather we're having?

It's a beautiful day for bacteria

https://www.popsci.com/weather-rat-disease-bacteria
(03-12-2018, 09:29 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 06:31 PM)Juniper Wrote: I work in a very old building.  It has no real climate control. It has a basement boiler. And in window air conditioners that look very old.  When we get a day like this it gets VERY hot inside.  The face we make is more like this:

Was it that hot down there today?
(03-12-2018, 10:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 06:31 PM)Juniper Wrote: I work in a very old building.  It has no real climate control. It has a basement boiler. And in window air conditioners that look very old.  When we get a day like this it gets VERY hot inside.  The face we make is more like this:

I bet the place has old outdated lighting that creates a lot of heat.
(03-13-2018, 12:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Laughing  I read that and pictured torches on the walls....
(03-13-2018, 12:53 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

Laughing Laughing LaughingThat's too funny.  I don't think the place is that old.  

A lot of office buildings with older fluorescent lighting have to run their AC just to compensate for the heat created by the florescent lamps and the ballasts for these fixtures.
Some of the older HVAC systems HAVE to use AC because they were not designed to use cooler outside air.
(03-13-2018, 12:53 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

Not far off.  Laughing

In fact on a day like this we open the windows because it's still too hot.
(03-12-2018, 06:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Not this week, but in a few weeks we will be running the air conditioners and the boiler will still be running.  Every year. BTW, TVGuy, typically we don't even turn the lights on. Lots of windows, so we don't really need them. They are flourescents, but typically we don't even turn them on. I have table lamp I turn on at my desk.
(03-13-2018, 05:41 PM)Juniper Wrote: Not this week, but in a few weeks we will be running the air conditioners and the boiler will still be running.  Every year.  BTW, TVGuy, typically we don't even turn the lights on.  Lots of windows, so we don't really need them.  They are flourescents, but typically we don't even turn them on. I have table lamp I turn on at my desk.

Right next to your pen?  Laughing

[Image: f99fca0d2bb98c0a9f689e5f2d9d2834.jpg]