Music
(04-11-2018, 04:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 04:35 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 01:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 05:37 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 05:42 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I think I can understand that. If your workplace was anything like mine was only oldies stations were played. I got truly sick even of songs I liked. Some of those songs I can still say I like but I really don't want to hear them again for years!   Big Grin

Well, it's too bad radio stations played canned shows...you do only hear the same shows over and over.  It's nauseating.  Only NPR delivers really fresh programming.

Yeah if you want to hear some scientific study of when exactly does a Yaks nuts drop and is it influenced by the moon.
Followed by some odd music played on some weird instrument from Tibet.

Yes, that's true, but I also hear some really good stuff on there and learn about classic artists and history and all that learnin' stuff.

Oh yes me too. But WAY too often what ever they are talking about is totally dull stuff only some egghead nerd would care about.
Yesterday when I was driving and clicking of different stations it seemed like every time I clicked on NPR they were begging for money.

Yeah that too!  I definitely notice there are programs I like better. So that doesn't always work for just middle of the day driving around. Q is great if I catch it. Not music but music related.
Soundbreaking on PBS is quite good.  http://www.pbs.org/soundbreaking/episode...-electric/
#1 trending today

(04-26-2018, 02:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Nice. I loves me some slide guitar. With a banjo is different.
Speaking of banjos AKA Banjers Razz

Just a general observation. Rock and Rock 'n Roll are two different animals entirely. I think I lean to what I define as "Rock 'n Roll" with a few of those artists doing some find "Rock".
(04-26-2018, 06:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: Just a general observation. Rock and Rock 'n Roll are two different animals entirely. I think I lean to what I define as "Rock 'n Roll" with a few of those artists doing some find "Rock".

I tend to categorize music into three groups. I like it, meh, and no thank you.   Big Grin
(04-26-2018, 06:50 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 06:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: Just a general observation. Rock and Rock 'n Roll are two different animals entirely. I think I lean to what I define as "Rock 'n Roll" with a few of those artists doing some find "Rock".

I tend to categorize music into three groups. I like it, meh, and no thank you.   Big Grin

Yes, that works.
 That's interesting so I went and read about it a little.

I get the difference but I don't Razz  I read one opinion that Rock and roll changed t rock in 1970 Confused  Whatever.

It hardly matters what people want to call it. IMO Rock and Roll was a black thing exclusively until Elvis who was basically a white black guy got a hold of it. And a bunch of kids in England made it popular.

Can you tell me some songs that are rock and not rock and roll? Do you mean like Dark side of the moon is Rock?

And your favo band the Beatles... I guess Rocky raccoon is rock and come together is rock and roll?
(04-26-2018, 07:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I get the difference but I don't Razz  I read one opinion that Rock and roll changed t rock in 1970 Confused  Whatever.

It hardly matters what people want to call it. IMO Rock and Roll was a black thing exclusively until Elvis who was basically a white black guy got a hold of it. And a bunch of kids in England made it popular.

Can you tell me some songs that are rock and not rock and roll? Do you mean like Dark side of the moon is Rock?

And your favo band the Beatles... I guess Rocky raccoon is rock and come together is rock and roll?

I don't think Pink Floyd is Rock.  They were regular rock n roll till they essentially became Prog Rock. Hawkwind and Geneisis and Brian Eno and Yes and the like were Prog Rock. But there are post 70's artists that were more rock and roll than Rock. Lynard Skynard for one. Led Zeppenlin (on the cusp in that time line) Beatles were Rock and  Roll, but also just the Beatles. The Who were Rock and Roll bordering on Rock. The Rolling Stones are rock n roll.  "Rock" is more like AC/DC and Kiss, and Twisted Sister.  Led Zeppelin rocked but they were rock n roll.  There's acid rock, which typically I really like, but I'd never call it Rock. Clapton played rock and roll, and the bands he was in. Black Sabbath is kind of Rock really. Metal Rock.

The Beatles aren't my favo so much as I'm fascinated by them historically. 

I'm a big Neil fan and he did it all. Rock and roll, folk, progressive and Rock and grunge, rhythm and blues and indie-esque.
(04-26-2018, 07:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I don't think Pink Floyd is Rock.  They were regular rock n roll till they essentially became Prog Rock. Hawkwind and Geneisis and Brian Eno and Yes and the like were Prog Rock. But there are post 70's artists that were more rock and roll than Rock. Lynard Skynard for one. Led Zeppenlin (on the cusp in that time line) Beatles were Rock and  Roll, but also just the Beatles. The Who were Rock and Roll bordering on Rock. The Rolling Stones are rock n roll.  "Rock" is more like AC/DC and Kiss, and Twisted Sister.  Led Zeppelin rocked but they were rock n roll.  There's acid rock, which typically I really like, but I'd never call it Rock. Clapton played rock and roll, and the bands he was in. Black Sabbath is kind of Rock really. Metal Rock.

I'm a big Neil fan and he did it all. Rock and roll, folk, progressive and Rock and grunge, rhythm and blues and indie-esque.

I look at music especially rock and roll by it's roots. If you know what 12 bar blues are you might not say Led Zeppelin wasn't Rock and roll. Many of Zeppelins songs were 12 bar blues songs and that IMO came straight out of Rock and roll.They even have a song named Rock and roll LOL

The twelve-bar blues or blues changes is one of the most prominent chord progressions in popular music. The blues progression has a distinctive form in lyrics, phrase, chord structure, and duration. In its basic form, it is predominantly based on the I, IV, and V chords of a key.

The blues can be played in any key. Mastery of the blues and rhythm changes are "critical elements for building a jazz repertoire".[1]

I love Neil Young too. I fell in love with the Harvest album and learned to play several of the songs long ago.
(04-26-2018, 07:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I look at music especially rock and roll by it's roots. If you know what 12 bar blues are you might not say Led Zeppelin wasn't Rock and roll. Many of Zeppelins songs were 12 bar blues songs and that IMO came straight out of Rock and roll.They even have a song named Rock and roll LOL

The twelve-bar blues or blues changes is one of the most prominent chord progressions in popular music. The blues progression has a distinctive form in lyrics, phrase, chord structure, and duration. In its basic form, it is predominantly based on the I, IV, and V chords of a key.

The blues can be played in any key. Mastery of the blues and rhythm changes are "critical elements for building a jazz repertoire".[1]

I love Neil Young too. I fell in love with the Harvest album and learned to play several of the songs long ago.

Their roots (Led Zeppelin) is really rhythm and blues...but they put a rock n roll spin on it. (my opinion)   Harvest is ok. Not my fave but definitely his number one. He never does any concert anymore without performing Heart of Gold.  He's the one note wonder.  You have to forgive the guy.  He had polio when he was young and feels he was originally left handed but ended up with his left side damage and had to relearn everything including being right handed. He admits it himself, that he's not that great a guitarist. But he does his own thing with the guitar.  It doesn't matter. It's how his music makes me feel that matters. 

One note wonder:

(04-26-2018, 07:57 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Their roots (Led Zeppelin) is really rhythm and blues...but they put a rock n roll spin on it. (my opinion)   Harvest is ok. Not my fave but definitely his number one. He never does any concert anymore without performing Heart of Gold.  He's the one note wonder.  You have to forgive the guy.  He had polio when he was young and feels he was originally left handed but ended up with his left side damage and had to relearn everything including being right handed. He admits it himself, that he's not that great a guitarist. But he does his own thing with the guitar.  It doesn't matter. It's how his music makes me feel that matters. 

One note wonder:

You are right. It matters not how skilled talented gifted or whatever a musician is said to be. What matters is what people like to hear.
Neil's skill with a guitar comes from his brain and not his fingers. Not to mention a magical voice.

When the Harvest album came out I was living in California and my junkie roommate taught me how to play some of those songs. I think Old man might be my favorite NY song but there are so many.

Their roots (Led Zeppelin) is really rhythm and blues.

Oh Jesus another term to describe a band or music Rolling Eyes Yes I know it's not just your opinion. Rhythm and blues is the heart of rock and roll.

Hey!! "The heart of rock and roll"  wouldn't that be a great name for a song? Laughing Razz
(04-26-2018, 08:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 07:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:  That's interesting so I went and read about it a little.

One note wonder:

You are right. It matters not how skilled talented gifted or whatever a musician is said to be. What matters is what people like to hear.
Neil's skill with a guitar comes from his brain and not his fingers. Not to mention a magical voice.

When the Harvest album came out I was living in California and my junkie roommate taught me how to play some of those songs. I think Old man might be my favorite NY song but there are so many.

Oh Jesus another term to describe a band or music Rolling Eyes Yes I know it's not just your opinion. Rhythm and blues is the heart of rock and roll.

Hey!! "The heart of rock and roll"  wouldn't that be a great name for a song? Laughing Razz
Huey Lewis.  Good rock and roll. :Big Grin Not really trying to sub catergorize. I liked Huey, his stuff was really just good ol' rock and roll.  Blues and gospel and blues are the fundamental element of rock and roll.  I'm not sure if I'd call rock and roll African American music. I'd say it's blues and it's rhythm are the origins of rock and roll.  When it was anglicized, so to speak, it became another hybrid.  Rap and hip hop have their roots in the old blues and gospel but they are definitely their own thing. No one could ever call them rock or rock n roll.
Quote:I look at music especially rock and roll by it's roots. If you know what 12 bar blues are you might not say Led Zeppelin wasn't Rock and roll. Many of Zeppelins songs were 12 bar blues songs and that IMO came straight out of Rock and roll.
Wouldn't  you say the same for The  Rolling Stones?  Or the Allman brothers?
(04-27-2018, 07:03 AM)Juniper Wrote:
Quote:I look at music especially rock and roll by it's roots. If you know what 12 bar blues are you might not say Led Zeppelin wasn't Rock and roll. Many of Zeppelins songs were 12 bar blues songs and that IMO came straight out of Rock and roll.
Wouldn't  you say the same for The  Rolling Stones?  Or the Allman brothers?

Yes I would.
(04-27-2018, 07:01 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 07:31 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't think Pink Floyd is Rock.  They were regular rock n roll till they essentially became Prog Rock. Hawkwind and Geneisis and Brian Eno and Yes and the like were Prog Rock. But there are post 70's artists that were more rock and roll than Rock. Lynard Skynard for one. Led Zeppenlin (on the cusp in that time line) Beatles were Rock and  Roll, but also just the Beatles. The Who were Rock and Roll bordering on Rock. The Rolling Stones are rock n roll.  "Rock" is more like AC/DC and Kiss, and Twisted Sister.  Led Zeppelin rocked but they were rock n roll.  There's acid rock, which typically I really like, but I'd never call it Rock. Clapton played rock and roll, and the bands he was in. Black Sabbath is kind of Rock really. Metal Rock.

One note wonder:

Huey Lewis.  Good rock and roll. :Big Grin Not really trying to sub catergorize. I liked Huey, his stuff was really just good ol' rock and roll.  Blues and gospel and blues are the fundamental element of rock and roll.  I'm not sure if I'd call rock and roll African American music. I'd say it's blues and it's rhythm are the origins of rock and roll.  When it was anglicized, so to speak, it became another hybrid.  Rap and hip hop have their roots in the old blues and gospel but they are definitely their own thing. No one could ever call them rock or rock n roll.

I'm not sure if I'd call rock and roll African American music. I'd say it's blues and it's rhythm are the origins of rock and roll. 

I'm probably wrong according to the experts. But these are all just fricking names. IMO Blacks invented Rock and roll.

Anyway  Huey Lewis is OK but not even one of my favorite bands. But his song "the heart of Rock and roll" Is one song that on construction jobs I would never tire of hearing simply because of the beat, the rhythm it's perfect. And for me personally that's what I like.
(04-27-2018, 11:29 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 07:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: I look at music especially rock and roll by it's roots. If you know what 12 bar blues are you might not say Led Zeppelin wasn't Rock and roll. Many of Zeppelins songs were 12 bar blues songs and that IMO came straight out of Rock and roll.They even have a song named Rock and roll LOL

One note wonder:

I'm not sure if I'd call rock and roll African American music. I'd say it's blues and it's rhythm are the origins of rock and roll. 

I'm probably wrong according to the experts. But these are all just fricking names. IMO Blacks invented Rock and roll.

Anyway  Huey Lewis is OK but not even one of my favorite bands. But his song "the heart of Rock and roll" Is one song that on construction jobs I would never tire of hearing simply because of the beat, the rhythm it's perfect. And for me personally that's what I like.

I think the blues/gospel/jazz influence created rock ' roll myself.  All of which are black. But I still think it is a hybrid of those influences and not entirely a black thing.  BUT it would not exist without those influences.
(04-28-2018, 08:15 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 11:29 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 07:57 PM)Juniper Wrote: Their roots (Led Zeppelin) is really rhythm and blues...but they put a rock n roll spin on it. (my opinion)   Harvest is ok. Not my fave but definitely his number one. He never does any concert anymore without performing Heart of Gold.  He's the one note wonder.  You have to forgive the guy.  He had polio when he was young and feels he was originally left handed but ended up with his left side damage and had to relearn everything including being right handed. He admits it himself, that he's not that great a guitarist. But he does his own thing with the guitar.  It doesn't matter. It's how his music makes me feel that matters. 

One note wonder:

I think the blues/gospel/jazz influence created rock ' roll myself.  All of which are black. But I still think it is a hybrid of those influences and not entirely a black thing.  BUT it would not exist without those influences.

Yes it's not entirely a black thing because whites have put a spin on it.I get that. Personally I can't see much if any difference in rhythm and blues and Rock and roll. But what do I know.
Today a lot of country music is rock and roll. It's all semantics.