Trends
(06-19-2018, 01:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: I was not a big fan back in the day either but I'm still a big fan of War pigs.

My first concert. (not old enough  to drive yet) I was WAY out in the back!

(06-19-2018, 12:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 12:14 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 12:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 11:59 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 11:46 AM)tvguy Wrote: Well in that regard I have said the same exact thing.Maybe the young people say that because what they hear just sucks LOL
 Some singers who were tremendously famous are still performing even though they have totally lost their voice.
Case in Poin   Erick burdon

You got a point there. I recently saw a Fleetwood Mac concert televised and thought "Damn, they've lost it". Sad really. It was like they were just going through the motions but the passion was gone.

Yep but some old bands can still sound great. Like the stones.

I don't know about the "Stones" but you're right. Eric Clapton still has it or did the last time I heard him.
Yes Eric still rocks but his greatness never was his singing ability like others, Like Burdon.

And I don't really know about the stones LATELY but a few years back they were ancient and IMO as good or as better than ever.

Well, that's my point, there are lots of old icons still doing brilliantly.  And people go to see them. But mixed in with other comments, mostly positive ones, I see several ageist ones also.  So, to me I don't know if that's a 'trend' but it's something I see.
(06-19-2018, 07:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 12:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 11:59 AM)Cuzz Wrote: You got a point there. I recently saw a Fleetwood Mac concert televised and thought "Damn, they've lost it". Sad really. It was like they were just going through the motions but the passion was gone.

Yep but some old bands can still sound great. Like the stones.

I don't know about the "Stones" but you're right. Eric Clapton still has it or did the last time I heard him.
Yes Eric still rocks but his greatness never was his singing ability like others, Like Burdon.

And I don't really know about the stones LATELY but a few years back they were ancient and IMO as good or as better than ever.

Well, that's my point, there are lots of old icons still doing brilliantly.  And people go to see them. But mixed in with other comments, mostly positive ones, I see several ageist ones also.  So, to me I don't know if that's a 'trend' but it's something I see.

I think maybe some kids just think being old is uncool regardless of the talent or skill many still have.
(06-19-2018, 07:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 07:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 12:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yep but some old bands can still sound great. Like the stones.

I think maybe some kids just think being old is uncool regardless of the talent or skill many still have.

Exactly!  Ageism.
Well, we did. Do you think they were going to look on us as oracles spouting sage wisdom. They think we’re a bunch of selfish assholes and they are right for the most part. Smiling
Young folks don’t look on pop culture as theirs like we embraced rock music.
We had found something secret; to them trash culture is what they see and experience every day.
(06-20-2018, 07:46 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Well, we did. Do you think they were going to look on us as oracles spouting sage wisdom.  They think we’re a bunch of selfish assholes and they are right for the most part.  Smiling
We had found something secret; to them trash culture is what they see and experience every day.

They think we’re a bunch of selfish assholes and they are right for the most part.
What do you mean?
I can't think of anything I've ever done that was selfish. I guess I should have worked my ass off, built my own house, raised three children. And done all that with half the salary I made to take care of others who didn't want to work?
Or I should have known that capitalism that made this country the worlds leader in industry was a bad thing?
Or known ahead of everyone else fossil fuels are killing or planet? Or that plastic was filling the ocean?
(06-20-2018, 10:21 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 07:46 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Well, we did. Do you think they were going to look on us as oracles spouting sage wisdom.  They think we’re a bunch of selfish assholes and they are right for the most part.  Smiling

They think we’re a bunch of selfish assholes and they are right for the most part.
What do you mean?
I can't think of anything I've ever done that was selfish. I guess I should have worked my ass off, built my own house, raised three children. And done all that with half the salary I made to take care of others who didn't want to work?
Or I should have known that capitalism that made this country the worlds leader in industry was a bad thing?
Or known ahead of everyone else fossil fuels are killing or planet? Or that plastic was filling the ocean?

That's it. You didn't recycle your plastic.

Or read Rachel Carson.

Razz
Well, BBQ makes a good point. I think we thought of the older generation as all washed up. I'm not sure I ever experienced anyone saying they shouldn't perform anymore, or should retire; I just think it felt like young people felt a separation. There was the younger generation and the older generation and they were two separate and completely unequal entities.
Been MIA... so playing a little catch up.
As for the tattoos... each of mine has meaning to me. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of them. They are mine and mean something to me.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(06-19-2018, 11:59 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 11:46 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 08:05 PM)Juniper Wrote: Speaking of what a younger generation appreciates or not:  I've noticed a bit of ageism in social media. A bit of scornful mockery of the older generation. For instance, if an older icon is performing or singing or something I see posts saying that that person needs to 'learn' to 'hang it up' and other such quips.

Well in that regard I have said the same exact thing.Maybe the young people say that because what they hear just sucks LOL
 Some singers who were tremendously famous are still performing even though they have totally lost their voice.
Case in Poin   Erick burdon

You got a point there. I recently saw a Fleetwood Mac concert televised and thought "Damn, they've lost it". Sad really. It was like they were just going through the motions but the passion was gone.
Fleetwood Mac was my first concert... with Peter Frampton, Gary Wright and Status Quo.

(06-21-2018, 09:54 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Been MIA... so playing a little catch up.
As for the tattoos... each of mine has meaning to me. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of them. They are mine and mean something to me.

-tattoos-and-their-meanings
(06-21-2018, 05:08 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 09:54 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Been MIA... so playing a little catch up.

-tattoos-and-their-meanings
Ha! I don't have any of those.

People who speak and end their sentences with a tone of voice as if they were asking a question? When they are not.

I first noticed this with my grandson.

Another trend that not new but seems to be gaining ground is to insert "I mean" in to their sentences.

It's totally pointless because if you remove the "I mean" Nothing whatsoever changes as far as the meaning of the sentence.

Heidi Klum says "I mean" a LOT and also likes to say really really. I like her but IMO she sounds like a moron or a teenager.

And then there is the WAY to common trend of starting every sentence with.. "SO"

And even worse many who do then say 'UM"   So um, I mean, do you know what I am talking about?
(06-24-2018, 03:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: People who speak and end their sentences with a tone of voice as if they were asking a question? When they are not.

Another trend that not new but seems to be gaining ground is to insert "I mean" in to their sentences.

It's totally pointless because if you remove the "I mean" Nothing whatsoever changes as far as the meaning of the sentence.

Heidi Klum says "I mean" a LOT and also likes to say really really. I like her but IMO she sounds like a moron or a teenager.

And then there is the WAY to common trend of starting every sentence with.. "SO"

And even worse many who do then say 'UM"   So um, I mean, do you know what I am talking about?

No comments at all? I though at least someone would ask me what the hell I was talking about.
(06-26-2018, 12:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 03:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: People who speak and end their sentences with a tone of voice as if they were asking a question? When they are not.

No comments at all? I though at least someone would ask me what the hell I was talking about.

? Donald Trump?

I mean, So, like are you talking Trump?
Um I not sure? if I'm way off?

Seemed crystal clear to me.

Besides, I've been busy.
(06-26-2018, 10:36 PM)chuck white Wrote:

? Donald Trump?

No I wasn't thinking of Trump. He just has a "very very" limited vocabulary. I'm nearly certain it's because he doesn't read.

This....People who speak and end their sentences with a tone of voice as if they were asking a question? When they are not
  Mostly young people do this.
(06-27-2018, 12:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 10:36 PM)chuck white Wrote:

? Donald Trump?

No I wasn't thinking of Trump. He just has a "very very" limited vocabulary. I'm nearly certain it's because he doesn't read.

This....People who speak and end their sentences with a tone of voice as if they were asking a question? When they are not
  Mostly young people do this.

Maybe I'm not remembering well here, but I think I remember someone saying that this became popular back when Friends was a television show....it was Chandler's way of talking.  It was Matthew Perry's schtick.  I remember someone telling me that, and kind of seeing the relation at the time.
(06-27-2018, 10:23 PM)Juniper Wrote: Maybe I'm not remembering well here, but I think I remember someone saying that this became popular back when Friends was a television show....it was Chandler's way of talking.  It was Matthew Perry's schtick.  I remember someone telling me that, and kind of seeing the relation at the time.

This is correct.
(06-27-2018, 10:28 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 10:23 PM)Juniper Wrote: Maybe I'm not remembering well here, but I think I remember someone saying that this became popular back when Friends was a television show....it was Chandler's way of talking.  It was Matthew Perry's schtick.  I remember someone telling me that, and kind of seeing the relation at the time.

This is correct.

So, while it's still a 'trend', I think that's where it started.