Bad Day For Elk
I wonder who they normally donate to in these situations. 

January 4, 2018 -- Deputies investigated an early morning crash between a pickup truck and a herd of elk.

On Thursday, January 4, 2018, at 4:25 a.m., Washington County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a traffic crash on Sunset Highway near NW Dersham Road, west of North Plains. Several motorists called in regarding a crash involving a pickup truck and several elk.

During the investigation, deputies learned that a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche was traveling eastbound when it crashed into several elk that were crossing the highway. The driver of the truck, 36-year-old James W. Childers III, cooperated with the investigation and thankfully did not suffer any injuries. A total of 11 elk were killed as a result of the crash.

The Sheriff's Office would like to thank the Oregon Department of Transportation and the Oregon State Police (OSP) for their assistance. OSP Fish and Wildlife Troopers responded to assess whether any of the elk meat was salvageable for processing and donation. 

[Image: ElkCrash.JPG]
(01-04-2018, 01:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I wonder who they normally donate to in these situations. 

January 4, 2018 -- Deputies investigated an early morning crash between a pickup truck and a herd of elk.

On Thursday, January 4, 2018, at 4:25 a.m., Washington County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a traffic crash on Sunset Highway near NW Dersham Road, west of North Plains. Several motorists called in regarding a crash involving a pickup truck and several elk.

During the investigation, deputies learned that a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche was traveling eastbound when it crashed into several elk that were crossing the highway. The driver of the truck, 36-year-old James W. Childers III, cooperated with the investigation and thankfully did not suffer any injuries. A total of 11 elk were killed as a result of the crash.

The Sheriff's Office would like to thank the Oregon Department of Transportation and the Oregon State Police (OSP) for their assistance. OSP Fish and Wildlife Troopers responded to assess whether any of the elk meat was salvageable for processing and donation. 

Organizations that distribute food to the needy. My wife used to volunteer at a place like that in Central Point. Occasionally they would get a call, sometimes at night and a trooper would show up with a bear or Elk or deer and someone would have to get out of bed to butcher it all up.
I used to help by hauling food to my house and calling people on a list who would come by. Sometimes I would get 50 or so Salmon donated by the lost creek fish hatchery.
(01-04-2018, 01:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 01:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I wonder who they normally donate to in these situations. 

Organizations that distribute food to the needy. My wife used to volunteer at a place like that in Central Point. Occasionally they would get a call, sometimes at night and a trooper would show up with a bear or Elk or deer and someone would have to get out of bed to butcher it all up.
I used to help by hauling food to my house and calling people on a list who would come by. Sometimes I would get 50 or so Salmon donated by the lost creek fish hatchery.

I applaud that usage. And the small irony of the needy getting a product that the stupid rich would pay high dollar for is appreciated too.   Big Grin
I wonder if they have an 'Elk Crossing' signs around there?
(01-04-2018, 07:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I applaud that usage. And the small irony of the needy getting a product that the stupid rich would pay high dollar for is appreciated too.   Big Grin

This was quite a few years ago. They stopped giving the salmon to the needy. I think they sell it for cat food or something. And I don't think anyone butchers road kill anymore.
(01-05-2018, 01:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 07:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

This was quite a few years ago. They stopped giving the salmon to the needy. I think they sell it for cat food or something. And I don't think anyone butchers road kill anymore.

They do out here in Sunny Valley. Mostly squirrels and raccoons.
I never see myself anymore, I haven't since they "removed" the herd, but I've heard the Elk herd here, up on Foothills and beyond is getting big again.
(06-27-2018, 10:45 PM)Juniper Wrote: I never see myself anymore, I haven't since they "removed" the herd, but I've heard the Elk herd here, up on Foothills and beyond is getting big again.

It's hard to see oneself.
(06-28-2018, 05:21 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 10:45 PM)Juniper Wrote: I never see myself anymore, I haven't since they "removed" the herd, but I've heard the Elk herd here, up on Foothills and beyond is getting big again.

She just needs a mirror....assuming she still has her eyesight.
(06-28-2018, 06:23 AM)GPnative Wrote:

She just needs a mirror....assuming she still has her eyesight.
Perhaps she is a vampirette?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I saw an elk herd on Mt Baldy earlier this year that quite surprised me by it's size. Must have been 30-35 in two closely grouped bunches. I've seen bigger herds but not so close to town. It was impressive. But then, they always are.

Forgot to type "them". Embarrassed
(06-28-2018, 04:03 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I was trying to figure out, I heard the herd.
(06-28-2018, 05:13 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Ya Know Chuck when that's all you got you could resist the urge to post it
(06-28-2018, 06:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What's that, Wonky?
(06-28-2018, 06:52 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 05:21 AM)chuck white Wrote: It's hard to see oneself.

What's that, Wonky?

Laughing Laughing
(06-28-2018, 05:21 AM)chuck white Wrote: It's hard to see oneself.

What's that, Wonky?
LOL so true.. But Wonky would never cease.I posted just once for every hundred times CW posted something lame.

But yep, that was a Wonky moment. Also Wonky would bitch and moan about a thread, with a title. when he knew what it was about and he had the choice to not look.
With Chuck I can't know ahead of time if what he says is worthwhile to me or not. And all I asked was for him to resist the urge to post a lame joke.
Sorry Chuck. Razz
(06-28-2018, 07:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 04:03 PM)Juniper Wrote: Forgot to type "them". Embarrassed

What's that, Wonky?
LOL so true.. But Wonky would never cease.I posted just once for every hundred times CW posted something lame.

But yep, that was a Wonky moment. Also Wonky would bitch and moan about a thread, with a title. when he knew what it was about and he had the choice to not look.
With Chuck I can't know ahead of time if what he says is worthwhile to me or not. And all I asked was for him to resist the urge to post a lame joke.
Sorry Chuck. Razz

I do wonder about Wonky.
Wonder what?
If he’s still as cranky?
I think his son getting sick put him over our precipice.
(06-28-2018, 07:44 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 07:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 05:13 PM)chuck white Wrote: I was trying to figure out, I heard the herd.

What's that, Wonky?

Sorry Chuck. Razz

I do wonder about Wonky.
Me too. I messaged him on FB just to see how he's doing but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how to access his messages. He hasn't posted anything since 2017.