Record Breaking Weather
Interesting read.

https://whyclimatechanges.com/the-book/p...nclusions/
(03-29-2018, 08:48 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: Interesting read.

I saw an article this morning about a climate skeptic name Peter Ward.  He has dedicated a book and two web sites to explain his theory of global warming:
He even had shirts made!
[Image: 924.png]
He has an interesting theory about how global warming is man-made, but it has nothing to do with CO2. His theory states that the real problem is ozone depletion, which allows more ultraviolet radiation (UV) to reach the surface. He states that CO2 is basically harmless.
Let me state my opinion clearly:
[b]His theory is unconvincing garbage.[/b]
To be fair, his ideas about the effects of ozone depletion are not all wrong. They are actually quite well grounded in many ways. Loss of ozone should naturally result in a warming effect.
However, my problem with Dr. Ward’s theory is how he claims to “prove” that it is physically impossible for increased CO2 to cause global warming. He lists off many claims that are wrong in a number of ways.
Le

http://hannahlab.org/climate-skeptics-pe...on-theory/
(03-29-2018, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I saw an article this morning about a climate skeptic name Peter Ward.  He has dedicated a book and two web sites to explain his theory of global warming:
He even had shirts made!
[Image: 924.png]
He has an interesting theory about how global warming is man-made, but it has nothing to do with CO2. His theory states that the real problem is ozone depletion, which allows more ultraviolet radiation (UV) to reach the surface. He states that CO2 is basically harmless.
Let me state my opinion clearly:
[b]His theory is unconvincing garbage.[/b]
To be fair, his ideas about the effects of ozone depletion are not all wrong. They are actually quite well grounded in many ways. Loss of ozone should naturally result in a warming effect.
However, my problem with Dr. Ward’s theory is how he claims to “prove” that it is physically impossible for increased CO2 to cause global warming. He lists off many claims that are wrong in a number of ways.
Le

http://hannahlab.org/climate-skeptics-pe...on-theory/

Yeah, that was my opinion when I read the link. I'm not a scientist and even I could poke holes in his reasoning.

The article is full of wrong information

Quote:
  1. The greenhouse-gas theory of global warming, which most scientists consider proven beyond any reasonable doubt, is not only mistaken — it is physically impossible.
  2. Greenhouse-gas theory is based on the assumption that light and heat, travel though air and space as waves or as particles. New observations show that light travels simply as frequency, just like the signal from a radio station, and that the thermal energy involved is simply equal to frequency times a constant.
  3. Understanding that radiant energy is directly proportional to frequency has major implications for modern physics by simplifying our understanding of quantum mechanics, quantum entanglement, dark energy, dark matter, and gravity.

Light is known to be a wave/particle duality. Actually all particles are waves when they travel. The wave length is inversely proportional to there mass and speed.

To compare the light from the moon and the sun is another stupid  concept. This has to do to intensity, not wavelength.

A signal from a radio station, light, infer-red , ultra violet and x-rays  are all electromagnetic waves. (nothing new here)

The ozone layer is a black absorber to UV.  So it gets hot from the UV radiation. Florocarbons and other 'ozone depleting' gases, thin the Ozone layer allowing more of the UV to hit the surface. Global warming is cause more from 'green house gases' (there is a difference).  frequency of light, determines how much energy per photon light has.  But 1 watt of UV has as much energy has 1 watt of red light and the same has one watt of radio frequency. One watt of radio frequency, just has a lot more photons then one watt of UV.

Volcanoes cool the earth on the short term, by introducing aerosols that reflect light, back out into space. On a long term the increased CO2 is absorbed before it can increase the temperature. There was a time when India drifted up from southern Africa, kicking up CO2 from the ocean floor. This was when we had tropical forest in northern Canada.

Yes, weather is effected by Volcanoes, the tilt of the earth, solar output and other stuff. (still is)
BUT now added to the list is CO2 emitted by mans activities. So much that it is now the primary mover of climate change.

Don't worry about it. Even though we are rapidly changing the climate. In terms of a single human life time, very little will happen .

It's your grand kids that will suffer.
(03-29-2018, 01:22 PM)chuck white Wrote:

The article is full of wrong information

Quote:
  1. The greenhouse-gas theory of global warming, which most scientists consider proven beyond any reasonable doubt, is not only mistaken — it is physically impossible.
  2. Greenhouse-gas theory is based on the assumption that light and heat, travel though air and space as waves or as particles. New observations show that light travels simply as frequency, just like the signal from a radio station, and that the thermal energy involved is simply equal to frequency times a constant.
  3. Understanding that radiant energy is directly proportional to frequency has major implications for modern physics by simplifying our understanding of quantum mechanics, quantum entanglement, dark energy, dark matter, and gravity.

Light is known to be a wave/particle duality. Actually all particles are waves when they travel. The wave length is inversely proportional to there mass and speed.

To compare the light from the moon and the sun is another stupid  concept. This has to do to intensity, not wavelength.

A signal from a radio station, light, infer-red , ultra violet and x-rays  are all electromagnetic waves. (nothing new here)

The ozone layer is a black absorber to UV.  So it gets hot from the UV radiation. Florocarbons and other 'ozone depleting' gases, thin the Ozone layer allowing more of the UV to hit the surface. Global warming is cause more from 'green house gases' (there is a difference).  frequency of light, determines how much energy per photon light has.  But 1 watt of UV has as much energy has 1 watt of red light and the same has one watt of radio frequency. One watt of radio frequency, just has a lot more photons then one watt of UV.

Volcanoes cool the earth on the short term, by introducing aerosols that reflect light, back out into space. On a long term the increased CO2 is absorbed before it can increase the temperature. There was a time when India drifted up from southern Africa, kicking up CO2 from the ocean floor. This was when we had tropical forest in northern Canada.

Yes, weather is effected by Volcanoes, the tilt of the earth, solar output and other stuff. (still is)
BUT now added to the list is CO2 emitted by mans activities. So much that it is now the primary mover of climate change.

Don't worry about it. Even though we are rapidly changing the climate. In terms of a single human life time, very little will happen .

It's your grand kids that will suffer.

That depends. The people who live on the marshal islands are already getting flooded.

"In Bangladesh, some 17 percent of the land could be inundated by 2050, displacing about 18 million people."

Plus some people rely on the snow and on frozen rivers to travel hunt fish, survive.

And IF the recent weather the east coast has had is from global warming and it continues to be storm after storm.
Then those people would argue that very little is happening.The same is true with more intense hurricanes.
Or droughts or flooding.

While hurricanes are a natural part of our climate system, recent research suggests that there has been an increase in intense hurricane activity in the North Atlantic since the 1970s. In the future, there may not necessarily be more hurricanes, but there will likely be more intense hurricanes that carry higher wind speeds and more precipitation as a result of global warming. The impacts of this trend are likely to be exacerbated by sea level rise and a growing population along coastlines.
http://drtimball.com/
(04-20-2018, 07:02 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: http://drtimball.com/

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(04-20-2018, 07:02 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: http://drtimball.com/

(04-20-2018, 07:02 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: http://drtimball.com/

Anybody can put bullshit out on the web, this is one of mine.

http://www.cnn.oregonsouth.com/plants/
Quote:On Monday, a city in the southern part of Pakistan soared to 122.4 degrees (50.2 Celsius). This might just be the highest temperature ever reliably measured on the planet during April.

The temperature was observed in the city of Nawabshah, which has a population of 1.1 million and is about 120 miles from the Indian Ocean. Etienne Kapikian, a meteorologist at Meteo France,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capi...8622979d9d
Quote:PHOENIX (AP) -
Temperatures in Phoenix have reached a new high, breaking a 70-year-old record.
National Weather Service meteorologists say the desert city hit the 106-degree mark (41 degrees Celsius) just after noon.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/38124225/p...d-counting
Quote:For most places in the continental United States, July and August are typically the hottest months of the year and when the hottest days of the year may be expected. However, for a small portion of the Southwest (specifically southeastern Arizona, southern New Mexico, and western Texas), June is normally when the hottest daytime temperatures occur. Nevertheless, record-breaking heat waves have occurred during the month of June in every part of the country. Here is a summary of some of those historic events.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Record...t-Waves-US
(06-29-2018, 12:53 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:For most places in the continental United States, July and August are typically the hottest months of the year and when the hottest days of the year may be expected. However, for a small portion of the Southwest (specifically southeastern Arizona, southern New Mexico, and western Texas), June is normally when the hottest daytime temperatures occur. Nevertheless, record-breaking heat waves have occurred during the month of June in every part of the country. Here is a summary of some of those historic events.

Record-breaking heat waves have occurred during the month of June in every part of the country.
Wow it's almost as if something as if warming our climate?? Blink Blink
(06-29-2018, 01:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Record-breaking heat waves have occurred during the month of June in every part of the country.

That's interesting.  I lived in south east Arizona and June was not the hottest month.  Not that that means a thing.
(06-29-2018, 01:27 PM)Juniper Wrote:

That's interesting.  I lived in south east Arizona and June was not the hottest month.  Not that that means a thing.
I have an old friend from when I lived in Ohio who now lives in Tuscon. But only during the winter. He says practically everyone else leaves too.They have sunshine days 350 days a year. Blink Where did you live?
(06-29-2018, 03:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I have an old friend from when I lived in Ohio who now lives in Tuscon. But only during the winter. He says practically everyone else leaves too.They have sunshine days 350 days a year. Blink Where did you live?

About 40 miles east of Tombstone.  But Tuscon swelters for sure.  This was in the late 80's early 90's.  There was a huge Snowbird culture there, of people who came to winter there and then left.  In winter it actually got quite cold.  For about a month.  It's funny how you say they have sunshine 350 days a year.  That actually bothered me.  I grew up on the coast of Southern California and was usesd to soft, misty spring mornings.  Much like early June here.  Waking up to blazing sunshine every morning was disconcerting and uncomfortable for me.
(06-29-2018, 09:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 12:53 PM)chuck white Wrote: https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Record...t-Waves-US

About 40 miles east of Tombstone.  But Tuscon swelters for sure.  This was in the late 80's early 90's.  There was a huge Snowbird culture there, of people who came to winter there and then left.  In winter it actually got quite cold.  For about a month.  It's funny how you say they have sunshine 350 days a year.  That actually bothered me.  I grew up on the coast of Southern California and was usesd to soft, misty spring mornings.  Much like early June here.  Waking up to blazing sunshine every morning was disconcerting and uncomfortable for me.
I lived in San Deigo for a few months back in the early 70's. I liked the climate but mostly I just loved the ocean.
Since I grew up in Ohio and moved here where winter was always not really a "winter" to me.
I've always joked about people who complain about the cold.

But at this point in my life I'm starting to dread the long wet drizzly gray winters. I would take sunshine all year long in a heart beat.
(06-30-2018, 12:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 01:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: Record-breaking heat waves have occurred during the month of June in every part of the country.

I lived in San Deigo for a few months back in the early 70's. I liked the climate but mostly I just loved the ocean.
Since I grew up in Ohio and moved here where winter was always not really a "winter" to me.

But at this point in my life I'm starting to dread the long wet drizzly gray winters. I would take sunshine all year long in a heart beat.

I was born and raised in San Diego. I moved away after graduation. The climate and the beaches were the best! As a child the worst part was earthquake drills (because thinking about the big earthquake coming was scary AF) and bussing (let the kids go to the school that are in their area with their neighborhood friends). I've been back a few times over the years... but I have no desire to ever live there again.

(06-30-2018, 12:52 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 01:27 PM)Juniper Wrote: That's interesting.  I lived in south east Arizona and June was not the hottest month.  Not that that means a thing.

I was born and raised in San Diego. I moved away after graduation. The climate and the beaches were the best!  As a child the worst part was earthquake drills (because thinking about the big earthquake coming was scary AF) and bussing (let the kids go to the school that are in their area with their neighborhood friends). I've been back a few times over the years... but I have no desire to ever live there again.

Because of the crowding right?
(06-30-2018, 12:52 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 01:27 PM)Juniper Wrote: That's interesting.  I lived in south east Arizona and June was not the hottest month.  Not that that means a thing.

I was born and raised in San Diego. I moved away after graduation. The climate and the beaches were the best!  As a child the worst part was earthquake drills (because thinking about the big earthquake coming was scary AF) and bussing (let the kids go to the school that are in their area with their neighborhood friends). I've been back a few times over the years... but I have no desire to ever live there again.

I don't remember doing earthquake drills and I lived 90 minutes north of San Diego.  But I do remember in my early childhood doing the duck and cover drills...then they stopped doing them.  It was just fire drills from then on.