Who gives these fires names?
Another thing that bugs me is when they show a map of the fire or fires. And there are no cities shown to reference where it is.
Or maybe only one city and no highways shown.
(08-08-2018, 01:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 12:50 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 12:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 10:15 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 08:12 PM)using a tvguy Wrote: Yeah you got it. They don't have to Watch newscasts or see update . They know exactly all they need to know.

Also the fire NAMERS whomever they are don't care or think about the fact that there are several fires.

Actually I think that's precisely what they are thinking about. If there are two or three fires along the Umpqua River drainage you can't name all of them the Umpqua Fire. For them it makes good sense. A distinctive name, especially using an obscure feature name, identifies it in both time and space. If they want to refer to it say in five years they just refer to the "whatever" fire, not the "fire in 201X up along highway xx at fire road zz". It's identified. Done.

It really wouldn't be an issue for us if the news people would associate a fire name with a geographical area in their reporting. The Hendrix Fire SW of Ashland, the Klondike Fire NW of Selma, like that. But they get used to the different fires like the fire fighters do and assume we're all up to speed too. OK until you get to six or eight or a dozen fires, I loose track.

It really wouldn't be an issue for us if the news people would associate a fire name with a geographical area in their reporting

Yep I agree.. and I agree with there different names if there are three different fires. But I don't see why when it's just one fire to not name it based on a common name like the closest city.

Well, maybe something else. If they named them after a city folks would think the city was burning down!  Laughing

Though come to think of it that might become more common.
LOL when a city actually did burn down the called it the Carr fire Blink

It didn't start by burning a city though. They had to call it something before then. I agree calling it the Car Fire was as non-geographically-discriptive as they could be. It could be in Lower Slobovia for all we would know.   Big Grin
At this point they should just rename them what i call all of them, the fucking fires.
The Klamathon Fire started on Klamathon Road. The rest of them have their own local reasons, and if you lived CLOSE to it, you would get the reference. I think this entire question and topic is just a lot of useless bitching. Something needs to be done to reduce the recidivism of these fires year after year. Maybe focus on that?
(08-08-2018, 08:18 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: The Klamathon Fire started on Klamathon Road. The rest of them have their own local reasons, and if you lived CLOSE to it, you would get the reference.  I think this entire question and topic is just a lot of useless bitching.  Something needs to be done to reduce the recidivism of these fires year after year.  Maybe focus on that?

No Thank you, I'd rather bitch about the names.
(08-08-2018, 08:18 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: The Klamathon Fire started on Klamathon Road. The rest of them have their own local reasons, and if you lived CLOSE to it, you would get the reference.  I think this entire question and topic is just a lot of useless bitching.  Something needs to be done to reduce the recidivism of these fires year after year.  Maybe focus on that?

OH yes No doubt we here are going to figure out how to stop the fires Laughing Laughing

The Klamathon Fire started on Klamathon Road. The rest of them have their own local reasons,

No shit Sherlock we know why the fires have the names they were given? Did you read the thread before 
Posted your sanctimonious lecture?

What is a GOOD reason it couldn't have been called the Hornbrook area fire? Irongate fire?

Hmmmm, like what? I'm sure you are referring to forest management, but like to hear you elucidate. If you feel there's another aspect that needs to addressed, please, step up and start discussing.

Recidivism?  I think I get your meaning but the word really means something else.

Maybe they could punish mother nature for all that lightning and drought and stuff.   Wink
Overall, I've always found the information about the fires to somewhat obscure and seem to be based on an assumption of knowledge of those hearing it. As if they know every area and feature involved. I myself would appreciate a more informative format.
(08-09-2018, 05:19 PM)Juniper Wrote: Overall, I've always found the information about the fires to somewhat obscure and seem to be based on an assumption of knowledge of those hearing it.  As if they know every area and feature involved. I myself would appreciate a  more informative format.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Winner winner.. That's Eaxtomundo Smiling
(08-09-2018, 06:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 05:19 PM)Juniper Wrote: Overall, I've always found the information about the fires to somewhat obscure and seem to be based on an assumption of knowledge of those hearing it.  As if they know every area and feature involved. I myself would appreciate a  more informative format.

Now, if this was a local FB thread the local news would prick their ears at this post.  :Big Grin I've been contacted by people from paper and news stations for remarks I've made.
So, if a fire starts out at Fire Rd, out in Lorane, Or. They would name it Fire Fire.

[Image: 4ccc5afa923ded14cc794f3dc87a9e38--humour-boys.jpg]
(08-09-2018, 07:17 PM)chuck white Wrote:
So, if a fire starts out at Fire Rd, out in Lorane, Or. They would name it Fire Fire.

The Fire Fire.

Who wants to go to fire lake
(08-09-2018, 07:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Now, if this was a local FB thread the local news would prick their ears at this post.  :Big Grin I've been contacted by people from paper and news stations for remarks I've made.

Like what? Tell me more Smiling
(08-09-2018, 08:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:

good or bad, that's what I'd like to know.   Razz
(08-09-2018, 08:37 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 08:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:

good or bad, that's what I'd like to know.   Razz

Nothing special. Once I made a comment about some housing being torn down and the tenants and such and got contacted by someone on the news.  Then for something else...can't remember. But they ask and never reply if you reply to them...it's stupid.

Too bad there is not a region or road named Graybalsa
(08-10-2018, 11:01 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Too bad there is not a region or road named Graybalsa

Laughing
(08-08-2018, 09:54 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Hmmmm, like what? I'm sure you are referring to forest management, but like to hear you elucidate. If you feel there's another aspect that needs to addressed, please, step up and start discussing.

There is truth here, but few here will agree. And that is the sad part.

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/fores...ingbuttons