Medfords air quality just went to hell
(08-14-2018, 07:10 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Pretty bad here. The worst its been since last year.These hills may be about 2 miles away. 

[Image: 20180814_170702.jpg]

Lately I would consider that a good day! I can't see beyond the house across the street.
(08-14-2018, 07:10 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Pretty bad here. The worst its been since last year.These hills may be about 2 miles away. 

[Image: 20180814_170702.jpg]
That's a walk in the park LOL are you sure about 2 miles? If you get bored you can measure it with google earth.  Medford news at five showed the worst viability in the state at 3/4 miles.
(08-14-2018, 06:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:10 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:05 PM)Juniper Wrote: We use that one at work a lot....it seems to pop up easier on our phones...we are going hour by hour.  I haven't told the supervisors it's dated info. they think it's in real time. Big Grin. but I'm not likely to go out anyway if it's over 100.  We tried one day and it made me sick.

I can tell in real time by looking out my back door and seeing how hard or if I can see table rock which is 2 miles away.
That's pretty much my method also.  Roxy Ann?  Right now?  Invisible.
I wonder how far you are from there. I looked at Google earth to see how far I was from Table rock.
I remember you once said you were only about a mike from the airport? It's farther than you think because I think their weather station is off Biddle just before you reach Tablerock rd.

Yes, tha t side...but I meant the side I'm on. Over by Buffalo Wild Wings...you can't get in on that side, but the airfield is there.  Roxy Ann?  I think 2 or 3 miles..depending on where you want to say it starts.
Yeah I know you meant the runway and not the actual weather station
(08-14-2018, 07:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:10 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: I can tell in real time by looking out my back door and seeing how hard or if I can see table rock which is 2 miles away.
That's pretty much my method also.  Roxy Ann?  Right now?  Invisible.
I wonder how far you are from there. I looked at Google earth to see how far I was from Table rock.
I remember you once said you were only about a mike from the airport? It's farther than you think because I think their weather station is off Biddle just before you reach Tablerock rd.

Yes, tha t side...but I meant the side I'm on. Over by Buffalo Wild Wings...you can't get in on that side, but the airfield is there.  Roxy Ann?  I think 2 or 3 miles..depending on where you want to say it starts.

And as the crow flies.
(08-14-2018, 07:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:10 PM)Juniper Wrote: That's pretty much my method also.  Roxy Ann?  Right now?  Invisible.

And as the crow flies.
 As the crow flies you are farther than one mile from the weather station at the airport.
I think you said one mile before?
(08-14-2018, 07:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: That's a walk in the park LOL are you sure about 2 miles? If you get bored you can measure it with google earth.  Medford news at five showed the worst viability in the state at 3/4 miles.

From the road I'm on to about halfway up the mountain is 2 miles
(08-14-2018, 07:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:20 PM)tvguy Wrote: I wonder how far you are from there. I looked at Google earth to see how far I was from Table rock.

And as the crow flies.
 As the crow flies you are farther than one mile from the weather station at the airport.

I agree. But I never said I was one mile from the weather station. Just the airport....I think that's about right.  By google, from my house to the field are 1.0 miles and that's NOT as the crow flies.
(08-14-2018, 08:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 07:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:32 PM)Juniper Wrote: Yes, tha t side...but I meant the side I'm on. Over by Buffalo Wild Wings...you can't get in on that side, but the airfield is there.  Roxy Ann?  I think 2 or 3 miles..depending on where you want to say it starts.

And as the crow flies.

I agree. But I never said I was one mile from the weather station. Just the airport....I think that's about right.  By google, from my house to the field are 1.0 miles and that's NOT as the crow fl
Yes I know you just meant the airport but the airport is huge. At the time I think the point was how far you were from the air quality measuring station. none of it matters lol.  what matters is our summers getting kind of ruined . I'm outside in my shop right now I kind of don't care about the smoke I just want to try and ignore it.             I'm just being a sissy my brother is 82 years old he's driving a truck helping out the firefighters two shifts a day and living on site in a sleeper
(08-14-2018, 08:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yes I know you just meant the airport but the airport is huge. At the time I think the point was how far you were from the air quality measuring station. none of it matters lol.  what matters is our summers getting kind of ruined . I'm outside in my shop right now I kind of don't care about the smoke I just want to try and ignore it.             I'm just being a sissy my brother is 82 years old he's driving a truck helping out the firefighters two shifts a day and living on site in a sleeper

Wow! That's impressive! Thank him for me when you see him!
(08-14-2018, 08:33 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 08:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yes I know you just meant the airport but the airport is huge. At the time I think the point was how far you were from the air quality measuring station. none of it matters lol.  what matters is our summers getting kind of ruined . I'm outside in my shop right now I kind of don't care about the smoke I just want to try and ignore it.             I'm just being a sissy my brother is 82 years old he's driving a truck helping out the firefighters two shifts a day and living on site in a sleeper

(08-14-2018, 08:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 08:33 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I will. Thanks man of course I'm very proud of him. By the way .... hey wonky if you're listening put that in your pipe and smoke it LOL
I'd love to know the stats for acres burned by the main fire vs. acres burned via back-burning procedures.  They never state these differences in any of the fire stats.
I'd like to know if any concern for air quality, wind direction and speed, weather,  etc is taken into account when they light these massive back burns? How much of the smoke choking the valley is from the lightening caused fire vs. the intentionally lit backburns?

Yes, I get the importance of backburns in specific instances, but I personally think they are far over used these days and more thought and concern for air quality should be taken into account. It should not be a first line defense in fighting fires to strengthen lines. Build your lines, then station crews for spot fires should the line be jumped. Don't assume every line needs a back burn.

This from last nights paper, and this  is only one instance of a slew of recent coverage regarding burnouts.

[Image: 0814C_Fires_Burnout_copy.jpg]
SCOTT STODDARD/Daily Courier
As the Klondike Fire continued to grow over the weekend, firefighters conducted a burnout Sunday on a hillside near Squaw Creek, only 2 miles west of the intersection of Redwood Highway and Illinois River Road in Selma.

Also from the article:
A burnout west of Redwood Highway in Selma brought out spectators Sunday night. The burnout was yet another aimed at reducing fuel between Selma and the main fire.

and:
Heavy smoke and an inversion near the fires kept air tankers and helicopters from flying on Monday.

This particular burnout was Sunday night and air support was suspended on Monday, Is this a case where the additional smoke from backburns kept the air tankers and heli's landed and thus actively engaging with the fire was suspended because of the intentionally lit fires? We had improved air quality Sunday, blue sky and all, by Monday morning it was putrid again. Would that of been the case had no back burns been lit on Sunday??

On Monday, the AQI in Grants Pass spiked to unhealthy (red) before clearing out in the evening

Something stinks around here....and it's not just the smoke.
(08-15-2018, 09:38 AM)GPnative Wrote: I'd love to know the stats for acres burned by the main fire vs. acres burned via back-burning procedures.  They never state these differences in any of the fire stats.
I'd like to know if any concern for air quality, wind direction and speed, weather,  etc is taken into account when they light these massive back burns? How much of the smoke choking the valley is from the lightening caused fire vs. the intentionally lit backburns?

Yes, I get the importance of backburns in specific instances, but I personally think they are far over used these days and more thought and concern for air quality should be taken into account. It should not be a first line defense in fighting fires to strengthen lines. Build your lines, then station crews for spot fires should the line be jumped. Don't assume every line needs a back burn.

This from last nights paper, and this  is only one instance of a slew of recent coverage regarding burnouts.

[Image: 0814C_Fires_Burnout_copy.jpg]
SCOTT STODDARD/Daily Courier
As the Klondike Fire continued to grow over the weekend, firefighters conducted a burnout Sunday on a hillside near Squaw Creek, only 2 miles west of the intersection of Redwood Highway and Illinois River Road in Selma.

Also from the article:
A burnout west of Redwood Highway in Selma brought out spectators Sunday night. The burnout was yet another aimed at reducing fuel between Selma and the main fire.

and:
Heavy smoke and an inversion near the fires kept air tankers and helicopters from flying on Monday.

This particular burnout was Sunday night and air support was suspended on Monday, Is this a case where the additional smoke from backburns kept the air tankers and heli's landed and thus actively engaging with the fire was suspended because of the intentionally lit fires? We had improved air quality Sunday, blue sky and all, by Monday morning it was putrid again. Would that of been the case had no back burns been lit on Sunday??

On Monday, the AQI in Grants Pass spiked to unhealthy (red) before clearing out in the evening

Something stinks around here....and it's not just the smoke.

I don't know all the facts but I think overall the positive side of using back burns probably outweighs the negative
Medford's air has been "hazardous" since three oclock. And we are the worst of ALL of the testing stations shown?

What's up with that? Is the valley like hole the smoke falls in to?
I wonder why the news doesn't report at least some of the air quality numbers like they do the temperature?
(08-15-2018, 07:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: I wonder why the news doesn't report at least some of the air quality numbers like they do the temperature?

Maybe The actual numbers don't matter all that much to most people? But you would think they would at least say the air quality was HAZARDOUS like it was today at 3 and 4PM.
That should be newsworthy.
(08-15-2018, 09:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 07:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: I wonder why the news doesn't report at least some of the air quality numbers like they do the temperature?

Maybe The actual numbers don't matter all that much to most people? But you would think they would at least say the air quality was HAZARDOUS like it was today at 3 and 4PM.

The did on Channel 10 at 5.00 today and said last night was the worst it's been this year.
(08-15-2018, 09:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:

The did on Channel 10 at 5.00 today and said last night was the worst it's been this year.

IMO that's a little misleading because we have had nights that were VERY close to being as bad as last night.
(08-15-2018, 09:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 09:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:

IMO that's a little misleading because we have had nights that were VERY close to being as bad as last night.

I thought so too.
Do they not have readings for the coastal towns?