Local News
Does anyone watch the local news?  No?

I thought I'd start a thread, but if no one watches it, it won't go anywhere.

Anyway, is it just me?  I feel like our local news has really taken a dive  the last few years.  Is that my imagination?  None of them seem to have it together. I feel like I often get inaccurate news, or frivolous news, or just plain dumb news.  They seem to trawl the internet for social media sources, which is odd in a way. They get names and dates and places and events wrong, (though that's always been the case, I think), mix up clips, stories till I'm not sure what is what.  I don't read the paper anymore.  I usually will watch the news in the morning with coffee or tea before I go to work. Sometimes after work. Does anyone else feel that most of them are just plain ridiculous?
(09-27-2018, 07:51 PM)Juniper Wrote: Does anyone watch the local news?  No?

Anyway, is it just me?  I feel like our local news has really taken a dive  the last few years.  Is that my imagination?  None of them seem to have it together. I feel like I often get inaccurate news, or frivolous news, or just plain dumb news.  They seem to trawl the internet for social media sources, which is odd in a way. They get names and dates and places and events wrong, (though that's always been the case, I think), mix up clips, stories till I'm not sure what is what.  I don't read the paper anymore.  I usually will watch the news in the morning with coffee or tea before I go to work. Sometimes after work. Does anyone else feel that most of them are just plain ridiculous?
My wife and I felt that way about the local news when we moved here 38 years ago LOL. We were used to the big city news who were a lot more professional.
And we still feel that way and we often laugh about how bad the local news really is.
When ever they have a good reporter that's easy on the eyes. I tell my wife to not get used to it.
Because they get job offers for more pay somewhere else and poof they're gone.

I guess I'll be accused of being sexist but shouldn't a TV personality at least look healthy and not be over weight?
You will NEVER see a fat reporter on any national news.
And why don't those who hire reporters actually listen to their voices? There is or was one who's voice was so nasal it was totally distracting.
My wife said she needs her tonsils and adenoids removed. And there is another who's voice sound like a troll.. I can't describe it.
Our news market seems to just be a training ground, to gain experience, between school and the real world. They always seem to move on after about a year to a larger market or a spokes person job for a police dept. or something.
(09-27-2018, 10:14 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Our news market seems to just be a training ground, to gain experience, between school and the real world. They always seem to move on after about a year to a larger market or a spokes person job for a police dept. or something.
Yes the good ones move on.
Mort’s a great guy. I won’t watch channel 10 because of Sinclair propaganda.
And my nephew’s partner is a producer for channel 5 so I don’t dislike the. Smiling
I usually only watch the news in the 5-7 am stretch and sometimes 26 at 10 pm if Hogans Heroes is too much input.
Yes, we watch the local news, and yes it stinks.
We choose channel 12, because we think it sucks the least, but that's not saying much, it's bad. From the stories they run to the inept reporting, to the "in training" script reading reporters that can barely stammer out the dialog. Some are better than others no doubt, but on the whole, as a local network news source, they stink. (And coats for kids, a very noble cause to be sure, but holy shit do they beat you over the head with it for weeks on end)

I even tried the Fox26 news at 10 for awhile, or whatever the hell it's called, but that is literally about 6 mins of news programming with 24 mins of commercials.

I will watch channel 10 news occasionally when I get fed up with chan12 and need a change or if they are having a particularly bad night. I like their weather guy, Milt Radford, I think he is the last of the actual Meteorologists that have skills in the field and are not just regurgitating computer generated weather models.

The crummy local TV news is a large reason why I still subscribe to the print edition of The Daily Courier, so I can get the local news I want, and as a local independent newspaper in the digital age, I think they do a fine job and I like supporting them. Their coverage of the fires this season was excellent, both in photo and their coverage.
(09-27-2018, 09:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:

My wife and I felt that way about the local news when we moved here 38 years ago LOL. We were used to the big city news who were a lot more professional.
And we still feel that way and we often laugh about how bad the local news really is.
When ever they have a good reporter that's easy on the eyes. I tell my wife to not get used to it.

I guess I'll be accused of being sexist but shouldn't a TV personality at least look healthy and not be over weight?
And why don't those who hire reporters actually listen to their voices? There is or was one who's voice was so nasal it was totally distracting.
My wife said she needs her tonsils and adenoids removed. And there is another who's voice sound like a troll.. I can't describe it.

Yes, I think it's sexist to expect people just doing a job to not be overweight.
(09-28-2018, 07:45 AM)GPnative Wrote: Yes, we watch the local news, and yes it stinks.
We choose channel 12, because we think it sucks the least, but that's not saying much, it's bad. From the stories they run to the inept reporting, to the "in training" script reading reporters that can barely stammer out the dialog. Some are better than others no doubt, but on the whole, as a local network news source, they stink. (And coats for kids, a very noble cause to be sure, but holy shit do they beat you over the head with it for weeks on end)

I even tried the Fox26 news at 10 for awhile, or whatever the hell it's called, but that is literally about 6 mins of news programming with 24 mins of commercials.

I will watch channel 10 news occasionally when I get fed up with chan12 and need a change or if they are having a particularly bad night. I like their weather guy, Milt Radford, I think he is the last of the actual Meteorologists that have skills in the field and are not just regurgitating computer generated weather models.

The crummy local TV news is a large reason why I still subscribe to the print edition of The Daily Courier, so I can get the local news I want, and as a local independent newspaper in the digital age, I think they do a fine job and I like supporting them. Their coverage of the fires this season was excellent, both in photo and their coverage.

I know what you mean about that stammering out the lines business. I see that on the FOX  news. The channel 12 news is always pulling this weird bait and switch thing, like talking about something and then telling you to tune in the LATER broadcast to hear about it.  And the constant showing of some event in Oklahoma, or Indiana that might have been news in that town, but has nothing to do with us, or the nation. My sister says one of the stations is the only one that shows weather that is relevant to Bandon.  I think it's Channel 5. 

Anyway, I'm hoping that if anyone sees something cringe worthy, or laughable or whatever on the local news, it will find it's way here.
(09-28-2018, 08:11 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes, I think it's sexist to expect people just doing a job to not be overweight.
Agree 100%!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(09-28-2018, 08:16 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 07:45 AM)GPnative Wrote: Yes, we watch the local news, and yes it stinks.

I know what you mean about that stammering out the lines business. I see that on the FOX  news. The channel 12 news is always pulling this weird bait and switch thing, like talking about something and then telling you to tune in the LATER broadcast to hear about it.  And the constant showing of some event in Oklahoma, or Indiana that might have been news in that town, but has nothing to do with us, or the nation. My sister says one of the stations is the only one that shows weather that is relevant to Bandon.  I think it's Channel 5. 

Anyway, I'm hoping that if anyone sees something cringe worthy, or laughable or whatever on the local news, it will find it's way here.

How about cooking segments? on the news program? Like there isn't enough news in the world they need to teach everyone how to make restaurant chicken.
(09-28-2018, 09:07 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 08:16 AM)Juniper Wrote:

How about cooking segments? on the news program? Like there isn't enough news in the world they need to teach everyone how to make restaurant chicken.

Well, I guess that's better than finding out about some boy stuck in a tree for 24 hours in Ohio. At least I might learn something. (might) and it's promoting local businesses, but yeah.  All these things give it the flavor of a high school news production.
(09-28-2018, 08:55 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Agree 100%!

It would be sexist only if I did NOT feel the same way about not particularly wanting to see an over weight male news reporter.
(09-28-2018, 01:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Agree 100%!

It would be sexist only if I did NOT feel the same way about not particularly wanting to see an over weight male news reporter.

Well, sexist isn't the word I would have used...you said it.
(09-28-2018, 01:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 09:54 PM)tvguy Wrote: My wife and I felt that way about the local news when we moved here 38 years ago LOL. We were used to the big city news who were a lot more professional.

Agree 100%!

But it is the word you used LOL. I think most people are similar to me in the and would rather see someone who is somewhat attractive every time you watch the news.
I don't remember EVER seeing any news reporters with missing teeth  Razz
(09-28-2018, 01:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 08:11 AM)Juniper Wrote: Yes, I think it's sexist to expect people just doing a job to not be overweight.
Agree 100%!

But it is the word you used LOL. I think most people are similar to me in the and would rather see someone who is somewhat attractive every time you watch the news.
Yes, I did, but I was just echoing you. I thought I knew what you meant and I felt that sexist was good enough.  I'm not sure if missing teeth is along the same lines though.
(09-28-2018, 01:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 08:55 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Agree 100%!

Yes, I did, but I was just echoing you. I thought I knew what you meant and I felt that sexist was good enough.  I'm not sure if missing teeth is along the same lines though.
 It's all about appearance I think.
(09-28-2018, 02:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 01:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:   It would be sexist only if I did NOT feel the same way about not particularly wanting to see an over weight male news reporter.

Apparently!
(09-28-2018, 02:08 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 02:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 01:14 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, sexist isn't the word I would have used...you said it.

Apparently!
 Well I admit it and while it not 21st century PC. I still think it's what most men and women think.
How about the bow tie wearing kid in the morning?
(09-28-2018, 02:35 PM)bbqboy Wrote: How about the bow tie wearing kid in the morning?
 I don't do mornings unless I'm still up Big Grin