Reefer Madness
I am on the record as being anti-pot. I've smoked my fair share and I know what it does. Therefore, I'm not cool with it now being legal. I would be okay with legalizing it if they can come up with a way to keep stoners from driving and keep it out of the hands of kids. If you are underage, it should be tougher to score weed than to buy beer. 

That said, I have to admit that I've come around a little on it possibly having some benefit other than getting stoned. Even though I still say that 90% of the people that were buying it for medical reasons, (back when that was the only legal way to buyt it), were full of shit.

Anyway, my wife has been having some issues and our daughter talked her into getting some smoke. So last night she comes into the bedroom with this pouch and wants me to help her. She can't light a pipe! Being a dutiful husband, I showed her how. But, my inner teenager kicked in and I just could not simply blow out the smoke. I inhaled deep. And, of course, held it in for as long as possible. And that's it. One hit. 

All that I can say is that pot has come a long way since the 70s.
A few years back I went up to visit my son in Eugene. He has some pot and I thought, what the hell, give it a go. (I gave it up back in the 70's) But my reaction to it was 'meh'. It's not for me.
I've considered marijuana for back pain and a sleep aid. Haven't given it a try though... Well, since I was young any way. Even if I do eventually decide to try it, I'll go with some sort of edible. No smoking for me. I quit cigarettes about 15(?) years ago. My lungs would never be able to handle it now.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(10-11-2018, 06:55 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I've considered marijuana for back pain and a sleep aid. Haven't given it a try though... Well, since I was young any way.  Even if I do eventually decide to try it, I'll go with some sort of edible. No smoking for me.  I quit cigarettes about 15(?) years ago. My lungs would never be able to handle it now.

I've considered marijuana for back pain and a sleep aid

Just get something with all CBD and not the THC for those kind of issues.

No smoking for me.  I quit cigarettes about 15(?) years ago. My lungs would never be able to handle it now.

If you use a vape it's not like smoke.
(10-11-2018, 05:50 PM)GCG Wrote: I am on the record as being anti-pot. I've smoked my fair share and I know what it does. Therefore, I'm not cool with it now being legal. I would be okay with legalizing it if they can come up with a way to keep stoners from driving and keep it out of the hands of kids. If you are underage, it should be tougher to score weed than to buy beer. 

That said, I have to admit that I've come around a little on it possibly having some benefit other than getting stoned. Even though I still say that 90% of the people that were buying it for medical reasons, (back when that was the only legal way to buyt it), were full of shit.

Anyway, my wife has been having some issues and our daughter talked her into getting some smoke. So last night she comes into the bedroom with this pouch and wants me to help her. She can't light a pipe! Being a dutiful husband, I showed her how. But, my inner teenager kicked in and I just could not simply blow out the smoke. I inhaled deep. And, of course, held it in for as long as possible. And that's it. One hit. 

I am on the record as being anti-pot. I've smoked my fair share and I know what it does. Therefore, I'm not cool with it now being legal.
  I'm not cool with it being illegal.The logic of trying to punish people for smoking weed went out the windows YEARS ago.
It's just a flat wasted of time for LE courts systems and jails.

But what I see in your comment intrigues me........
I've smoked my fair share and I know what it does

So in your opinion "what it does" to whomever you are talking about is so bad that pot should be illegal?
Because from all the people I have known over the years pot was rarely a problem.
And alcohol was a problem with many. In the last two years I lost two close friends of the last ten years to alcohol.

I would be okay with legalizing it if they can come up with a way to keep stoners from driving and keep it out of the hands of kids

I do get that logic. But they never have "come up with a way " in the past and they never will by keeping pot illegal.

(10-11-2018, 11:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 05:50 PM)GCG Wrote: I am on the record as being anti-pot. I've smoked my fair share and I know what it does. Therefore, I'm not cool with it now being legal. I would be okay with legalizing it if they can come up with a way to keep stoners from driving and keep it out of the hands of kids. If you are underage, it should be tougher to score weed than to buy beer. 

I am on the record as being anti-pot. I've smoked my fair share and I know what it does. Therefore, I'm not cool with it now being legal.
  I'm not cool with it being illegal.The logic of trying to punish people for smoking weed went out the windows YEARS ago.

So in your opinion "what it does" to whomever you are talking about is so bad that pot should be illegal?
Because from all the people I have known over the years pot was rarely a problem.
And alcohol was a problem with many. In the last two years I lost two close  friends of the last  ten years to alcohol.

I would be okay with legalizing it if they can come up with a way to keep stoners from driving and keep it out of the hands of kids

I do get that logic. But they never have "come up with a way " in the past and they never will by keeping pot illegal.

From where I sit it looks as if you picked apart my first 2 statements even though I clarified my position in the end.
(10-11-2018, 10:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 06:55 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I've considered marijuana for back pain and a sleep aid. Haven't given it a try though... Well, since I was young any way.  Even if I do eventually decide to try it, I'll go with some sort of edible. No smoking for me.  I quit cigarettes about 15(?) years ago. My lungs would never be able to handle it now.

I've considered marijuana for back pain and a sleep aid

Just get something with all CBD and not the THC for those kind of issues.

No smoking for me.  I quit cigarettes about 15(?) years ago. My lungs would never be able to handle it now.

If you use a vape it's not like smoke.
I have tried a couple of different CBD-only sauves that you rub on the area (lower back in my case), but they didn't seem to do anything. At $50 for less than an ounce... that was a spendy fail.

(10-12-2018, 07:27 AM)GCG Wrote:

And alcohol was a problem with many. In the last two years I lost two close  friends of the last  ten years to alcohol.

From where I sit it looks as if you picked apart my first 2 statements even though I clarified my position in the end.
So if what you said at the end totally invalidated what I commented on ( I did not pick it apart) why did you make those commenst at the beginning?

So, here's my take on the legalizing it and availability issue.  In recent years, before legalization, it was so easy to get some anyway.  In fact I was just talking to someone who smokes and the topic of going to pot stores came into the conversation. Anyway, it was funny, because she was telling me that before legalization, she just bought weed from whichever friend had some. Buy an eighth, pay so much.  She said going to the pot store was much more confusing to her. She felt like an idiot. Now it's all consumer driven with brand names  and so on. Like all things commercialized I think there is always something lost when we lose that human touch.   I myself have never been in a pot store. If I went in I think I'd feel pretty foolish.  I think my friend was right. It used to be pretty simple and abundantly available. No ID required. Razz I'm not sure if legalization makes it any more available.  TV is right, it's always been available. The only thing that made it more available was decriminalizing it, but really, criminalizing it?  It was criminal for far too long with really unjust results.
(10-12-2018, 11:35 AM)Juniper Wrote:

So, here's my take on the legalizing it and availability issue.  In recent years, before legalization, it was so easy to get some anyway.  In fact I was just talking to someone who smokes and the topic of going to pot stores came into the conversation. Anyway, it was funny, because she was telling me that before legalization, she just bought weed from whichever friend had some. Buy an eighth, pay so much.  She said going to the pot store was much more confusing to her. She felt like an idiot. Now it's all consumer driven with brand names  and so on. Like all things commercialized I think there is always something lost when we lose that human touch.   I myself have never been in a pot store. If I went in I think I'd feel pretty foolish.  I think my friend was right. It used to be pretty simple and abundantly available. No ID required. Razz I'm not sure if legalization makes it any more available.  TV is right, it's always been available. The only thing that made it more available was decriminalizing it, but really, criminalizing it?  It was criminal for far too long with really unjust results.
Marijuana in small amounts has actually been decriminalized in Oregon since 1972.

Anyway I find it somewhat surprising that so many people actually buy from a pot store. It's costs a lot more there than to buy it from some friend. Or friend of a friend.
And now a lot of people will just give you some. But maybe the fact that it's illegal to grow in Medford means it's not as abundant as it is with co many people I know.

I only went to pot stores recently and that was to buy CBD oil and a device to vape. It was to see if it helped my wife with pain. Like joint pain(no pun intended).
But since we bought the vaping tool which was only 26 bucks we also bought THC oil in a tiny glass capsule. It costs about 50 bucks a gram which seems silly to me since I have plenty of good bud.
But the vaping is easier on the lungs.
(10-12-2018, 11:52 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Marijuana in small amounts has actually been decriminalized in Oregon since 1972.

Anyway I find it somewhat surprising that so many people actually buy from a pot store. It's costs a lot more there than to buy it from some friend. Or friend of a friend.
And now a lot of people will just give you some. But maybe the fact that it's illegal to grow in Medford means it's not as abundant as it is with co many people I know.

I only went to pot stores recently and that was to buy CBD oil and a device to vape. It was to see if it helped my wife with pain. Like joint pain(no pun intended).
But since we bought the vaping tool which was only 26 bucks we also bought THC oil in a tiny glass capsule. It costs about 50 bucks a gram which seems silly to me since I have plenty of good bud.
I know it's been decriminalized for decades and it should be. But that's when it became more available in my mind, not legalizing it.
I'm struggling with joint pain myself to the point that it's changed my lifestyle.  But I haven't had luck with any topical stuff and don't have a MMC .  Does your wife?  I've been having some fairly good results with a proprietary form of turmeric.
(10-12-2018, 12:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I know it's been decriminalized for decades and it should be. But that's when it became more available in my mind, not legalizing it.
I'm struggling with joint pain myself to the point that it's changed my lifestyle.  But I haven't had luck with any topical stuff and don't have a MMC .  Does your wife?  I've been having some fairly good results with a proprietary form of turmeric.
You don't need a MMC card to buy CBD oil or THC..It's legal silly Big Grin
(10-12-2018, 12:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 07:27 AM)GCG Wrote: From where I sit it looks as if you picked apart my first 2 statements even though I clarified my position in the end.

Well, how would I know?  I don't use it.  If it is legal, does that mean people don't have MMC's anymore?
(10-12-2018, 12:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 11:35 AM)Juniper Wrote: So, here's my take on the legalizing it and availability issue.  In recent years, before legalization, it was so easy to get some anyway.  In fact I was just talking to someone who smokes and the topic of going to pot stores came into the conversation. Anyway, it was funny, because she was telling me that before legalization, she just bought weed from whichever friend had some. Buy an eighth, pay so much.  She said going to the pot store was much more confusing to her. She felt like an idiot. Now it's all consumer driven with brand names  and so on. Like all things commercialized I think there is always something lost when we lose that human touch.   I myself have never been in a pot store. If I went in I think I'd feel pretty foolish.  I think my friend was right. It used to be pretty simple and abundantly available. No ID required. Razz I'm not sure if legalization makes it any more available.  TV is right, it's always been available. The only thing that made it more available was decriminalizing it, but really, criminalizing it?  It was criminal for far too long with really unjust results.

Well, how would I know?  I don't use it.  If it is legal, does that mean people don't have MMC's anymore?
CBD is just part of marijuana so it's been legal to buy for four years now. People who have MMC's can grow six more plants than the four allowed for recreation.
They also don't have to pay taxes if the buy MJ at a store. But I'm sure you are right that a lot of people now don't bother getting a medical card.
(10-12-2018, 12:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 11:52 AM)tvguy Wrote: Marijuana in small amounts has actually been decriminalized in Oregon since 1972.

CBD is just part of marijuana so it's been legal to buy for four years now. People who have MMC's can grow six more plants than the four allowed for recreation.
They also don't have to pay taxes if the buy MJ at a store. But I'm sure you are right that a lot of people now don't bother getting a medical card.

Well, that's a mixed bag then. Tax free is good, but some people don't want that on their medical records and might prefer the anonymity.
(10-12-2018, 01:18 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 12:06 PM)Juniper Wrote: I know it's been decriminalized for decades and it should be. But that's when it became more available in my mind, not legalizing it.

Well, that's a mixed bag then. Tax free is good, but some people don't want that on their medical records and might prefer the anonymity.
 But medical records are not public so why would anyone care? I guess you mean politicians Or public figures?
(10-12-2018, 01:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 12:20 PM)tvguy Wrote: You don't need a MMC card to buy CBD oil or THC..It's legal silly Big Grin

But medical records are not public so why would anyone care? I guess you mean politicians Or public figures?

It's not about being public. It's about the paper trail following you. It's about your personal history. I'm not feeling very good today, so I'm not sure I can explain this very well, but it's something my daughter and I have both noticed. Be careful what you reveal about yourself in any kind of record about yourself.
(10-12-2018, 02:25 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 12:32 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, how would I know?  I don't use it.  If it is legal, does that mean people don't have MMC's anymore?

It's not about being public. It's about the paper trail following you. It's about your personal history. I'm not feeling very good today, so I'm not sure I can explain this very well, but it's something my daughter and I have both noticed. Be careful what you reveal about yourself in any kind of record about yourself.
 I understand being careful what one reveals about ones self. But I think it depends of course on if you care if anyone ever knows you have a MMC.
I certainly don't and I don't know who would unless they were in politics or something. OR maybe if a potential employer had this information.

And it's too bad about any of that because Marijuana can be used solely as medicine.

Sorry you don't feel well today Smiling
(10-12-2018, 04:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 12:52 PM)tvguy Wrote: CBD is just part of marijuana so it's been legal to buy for four years now. People who have MMC's can grow six more plants than the four allowed for recreation.

I understand being careful what one reveals about ones self. But I think it depends of course on if you care if anyone ever knows you have a MMC.
I certainly don't and I don't know who would unless they were in politics or something. OR maybe if a potential employer had this information.

And it's too bad about any of that because Marijuana can be used solely as medicine.

In my experience sometimes something I don't care about today, I end up caring about later in life, so I'm more cautious.
(10-12-2018, 04:55 PM), tvguy Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 12:52 PM)tvguy Wrote: CBD is just part of marijuana so it's been legal to buy for four years now. People who have MMC's can grow six more plants than the four allowed for recreation.

It's going that way. About five years ago I was presented with a document by my employer that I was "required" to sign. It gave them permission to access all my financial and medical records, to make whatever use they wished of that access and share them with whoever they wished to share them with and they couldn't be held libel to any consequences of their access and/or possible leak of that information. Really.

I had to tell them "not just no but hell no". They went back to their legal eagles and that was the last I heard of it.