Thousand Oaks shooting
(11-09-2018, 10:25 AM)Scrapper Wrote: [Image: 397b9f7d73b1e29a284ff31e1700e083.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Heartless is one way to go through life, I guess.
(11-09-2018, 09:37 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 08:49 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 08:42 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: Making good people defenseless won't make bad people harmless.

Very true. 

Do you have any ideas as to what MAY help? Even just a little? Thoughts and prayers have not helped and as far as I can tell they are all that's been offered as a solution. No easy answers, that's for sure.....

Sadly, there isn't any single "answer" to put an end to these things.  In this particular case, his PTSD should have been taken more seriously, as all mental health issues need to be addressed with more vigor.  I heard on the radio this morning from the VA that, unfortunately, very few of the Vets affected ever go to the VA for treatment.  That could be because of the VA's reputation ie: waiting times etc., or it could be that they just don't realize how bad off they are until bad things happen.

Obviously no one involved in this case deserved what happened, but thoughts and prayers are just about all most of us have to offer.
In this particular case, his PTSD should have been taken more seriously, as all mental health issues need to be addressed with more vigor.

That is exactly what I was going to say. It's not uncommon to find out these maniac killers who mow down random innocents had already made it clear to LE or their friends or family that they were dangerous and unstable.

(11-09-2018, 08:49 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 08:42 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: Making good people defenseless won't make bad people harmless.

Very true. 

Do you have any ideas as to what MAY help? Even just a little? Thoughts and prayers have not helped and as far as I can tell they are all that's been offered as a solution. No easy answers, that's for sure.....

Of course thoughts and prayers haven't helped. That's like asking for magic. Rolling Eyes  Anyway there is no such thing as a "solution" to this problem.

Oregon has a new law where family members can request that guns can be taken away from a relative who is acting like a mental case. Not a "solution" but that might have stopped this thousand Oaks killer.
(11-09-2018, 10:32 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:26 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:25 AM)Scrapper Wrote: [Image: 397b9f7d73b1e29a284ff31e1700e083.jpg]

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to 'get' this, but I don't.

I think it's supposed to show some concern and be cute at the same time. But I think it comes across as making lite of the situation.
 If You mean IF someone actually sent this meme to someone who needed thoughts and prayers. Yes that would be pretty lame.
Otherwise it's just harmless a fun pun.
(11-08-2018, 06:08 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 02:28 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-08-2018, 02:16 PM)tvguy Wrote: I thought this was kind of interesting and I wonder what right wingers will think about it. My first thought was DUH California is the most populated state in the USA.
And when I checked Florida and Texas are the next in order of the most populated. Sheeshe talk about some worthless news. Blink

California.. 40 million
Florida      21 million
Texas        28 million    

[Image: 2000]

The NRA likes to point to Calif. because they have the strictest anti gun laws. Don't recall them ever pointing out this population comparison.  Wink 

Here is a gun violence site I just posted on the other thread. It fits more appropriately here. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/query...efeabae077

I don't think California has the strictest gun laws.
Back east it's impossible to own a gun.

Back east it's impossible to own a gun.

Good grief dude that's totally incorrect.

Yep , your brain is wired just like my sisters LOL. Highly intelligent but sometimes she misses what's obvious to others.
(11-09-2018, 10:36 AM)GPnative Wrote:

I think it's supposed to show some concern and be cute at the same time. But I think it comes across as making lite of the situation.

I agree, there was actually some good dialog happening in this thread,  I really liked Juniper's post, and also agreed with SD, then comes along Scrap with this stupidity. Wrong time and place to interject a stupid meme then double down and make it about Trump, ffs.
That's a lot of baloney, I think Scrapper simply say the thoughts and prayers comment and posted a humorous  meme.

And yes I like Junipers post a lot also. Smiling
(11-09-2018, 10:39 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I agree, there was actually some good dialog happening in this thread,  I really liked Juniper's post, and also agreed with SD, then comes along Scrap with this stupidity. Wrong time and place to interject a stupid meme then double down and make it about Trump, ffs.

Well, I don't know if I felt it was stupidity, but there was this feeling to it, (for me) that I was supposed to 'get it' somehow and I didn't and it felt kind of trite. Tonedeaf to the rest of the thread.

Then the Trump explanation was thrown in, and I got more confused and had to check what thread I was in! Laughing Laughing Big Grin

I think you guys read a hell of a lot more in to it than what was intended.
(11-09-2018, 03:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:26 AM)Juniper Wrote: I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to 'get' this, but I don't.

Well, I don't know if I felt it was stupidity, but there was this feeling to it, (for me) that I was supposed to 'get it' somehow and I didn't and it felt kind of trite. Tonedeaf to the rest of the thread.

Then the Trump explanation was thrown in, and I got more confused and had to check what thread I was in! Laughing Laughing Big Grin

I don't know what I read into it.
(11-09-2018, 04:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:32 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I think it's supposed to show some concern and be cute at the same time. But I think it comes across as making lite of the situation.

I think Scrappers simply saw the words "thoughts and prayers" and thought of the meme.

I kind of don't know what to say when someones loved one dies or is really sick. When there is a whole page of people
"sending prayers" all I can think of is sending thoughts??? err WTF does that mean.
(11-09-2018, 05:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:36 AM)GPnative Wrote: I agree, there was actually some good dialog happening in this thread,  I really liked Juniper's post, and also agreed with SD, then comes along Scrap with this stupidity. Wrong time and place to interject a stupid meme then double down and make it about Trump, ffs.

I think Scrappers simply saw the words "thoughts and prayers" and thought of the meme.

I kind of don't know what to say when someones loved one dies or is really sick. When there is a whole page of people
"sending prayers" all I can think of is sending thoughts??? err WTF does that mean.

Just a suggestion.... don't joke about it.
(11-09-2018, 10:36 AM)GPnative Wrote: I agree, there was actually some good dialog happening in this thread,  I really liked Juniper's post, and also agreed with SD, then comes along Scrap with this stupidity. Wrong time and place to interject a stupid meme then double down and make it about Trump, ffs.

Then the Trump explanation was thrown in, and I got more confused and had to check what thread I was in! Big Grin

Yes... thoughts & prayers are as useful as tots & pears.
To go even further... most of the people (tRump included) that offer "prayers" or say they're "praying for....xyz" are full of shit fakes that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.
[Image: b38351f574c59289e5e57dc564a3f5f7.jpg]

Yes, but she was also thinking of Trump.  Which I didn't get either till she said so.
(11-09-2018, 05:49 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:39 AM)Juniper Wrote: Well, I don't know if I felt it was stupidity, but there was this feeling to it, (for me) that I was supposed to 'get it' somehow and I didn't and it felt kind of trite. Tonedeaf to the rest of the thread.

Yes, but she was also thinking of Trump.  Which I didn't get either till she said so.

Yeah, same here.
(11-09-2018, 05:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:39 AM)Juniper Wrote: Well, I don't know if I felt it was stupidity, but there was this feeling to it, (for me) that I was supposed to 'get it' somehow and I didn't and it felt kind of trite. Tonedeaf to the rest of the thread.

I wasn't joking. Not at all. I said I kind of don't know what to say and I went on to explain.
(11-09-2018, 06:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 03:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think you guys read a hell of a lot more in to it than what was intended.

I wasn't joking. Not at all. I said I kind of don't know what to say and I went on to explain.

I don't think that was a response to what YOU said. But, I could be wrong.
(11-09-2018, 06:42 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 06:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 04:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know what I read into it.

I don't think that was a response to what YOU said. But, I could be wrong.
OK he was talking to Scrapper Smiling . But scrapper didn't send that meme to someone who needed thoughts or prayers.
Christ, peeps... y'all are making this WAY to difficult! I wad making the point that all of the thoughts and prayers don't mean a damn thing. They won't bring the victims back. And... many times they are empty any way. Just something people say. Or post.

I don't know what the answer is. I believe in my right to bear arms. But... something has to happen. It's getting ridiculous.

(11-09-2018, 07:38 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Christ, peeps... y'all are making this WAY to difficult! I wad making the point that all of the thoughts and prayers don't mean a damn thing. They won't bring the victims back. And... many times they are empty any way. Just something people say. Or post.

I don't know what the answer is.  I believe in my right to bear arms. But... something has to happen. It's getting ridiculous.

How do you know what is in the mind of whomever sends the thoughts and prayers or whomever receives the message?
You don't, It's just a way to say I'm sorry, I'm empathetic, I feel your pain. It's supposed to console people. To let then know others care.

I was just saying because I don't pray I don't quite know what to say.

They won't bring the victims back

No one said They WILL bring the victims back. That's pretty much a strawman comment Wink
(11-09-2018, 07:38 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Christ, peeps... y'all are making this WAY to difficult! I wad making the point that all of the thoughts and prayers don't mean a damn thing. They won't bring the victims back. And... many times they are empty any way. Just something people say. Or post.

I don't know what the answer is.  I believe in my right to bear arms. But... something has to happen. It's getting ridiculous.

Public executions?