Things you've always wanted to know
(11-22-2018, 09:14 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 08:26 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Spinal Tap

Yeah, but it doesn't count.

It was more true than the purported real true stories portrayed in most biopics.
(11-22-2018, 09:55 AM)bbqboy Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 09:14 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 08:26 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Spinal Tap

Yeah, but it doesn't count.

It was more true than the purported real true stories portrayed in most biopics.

Well, in that case I like Almost Famous.  I thought it was a great representation.

And All you need is Cash is just as true also.  

[Image: tumblr_m0z9rtieAK1qdo44ho1_500.png]
(11-22-2018, 07:27 AM)Juniper Wrote: This is a bit more of a random question, but still, worth asking.  What, in your opinion is the best music biopic out there?  It seems, surprisingly to me, that there are not a whole lot of good ones.  (this stems from the Queen topic we were on in another thread).

Does Amadeus count?  Laughing I had no idea what a music biopic was.  Embarrassed
(11-22-2018, 10:03 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 07:27 AM)Juniper Wrote: This is a bit more of a random question, but still, worth asking.  What, in your opinion is the best music biopic out there?  It seems, surprisingly to me, that there are not a whole lot of good ones.  (this stems from the Queen topic we were on in another thread).

Does Amadeus count?  Laughing I had no idea what a music biopic was.  Embarrassed

Yes, I count it.  I think it was a well done one.

In terms of sales it's Straight Outta Compton. I've never seen it but I'll catch it on Netflix one day.
(11-22-2018, 10:28 AM)GCG Wrote:

In terms of sales it's Straight Outta Compton. I've never seen it but I'll catch it on Netflix one day.

I saw that. It's not bad.  But you can't tell a thing from sales.  And when they DO compare things in sales, it's weird because the $$ in this decade are different than say the $$ from another decade so not really comparable.

I thought Coal Miners Daughter was a good stand alone film; it didn't even have to be true.
(11-22-2018, 10:41 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I saw that. It's not bad.  But you can't tell a thing from sales.  And when they DO compare things in sales, it's weird because the $$ in this decade are different than say the $$ from another decade so not really comparable.

I thought Coal Miners Daughter was a good stand alone film; it didn't even have to be true.

I brought it up because I heard that the new Queen movie was already 2nd in sales to Compton. I enjoy documentaries more than biopics. The 2 part Eagles doc on Netflix was good. Henley and Frey came off as arrogant dictators, (especially Frey), but they probably had their reasons. I also enjoyed the doc on the Wrecking Crew. I guess the Sound of Music could be considered a biopic in the broadest sense of the term. I still enjoy watching it every now and then.

I enjoyed The Doobie Brothers: Let The Music Play on AXS.
Wrecking Crew- stupendous. My heroes.
How about Don't Look Back?
(11-22-2018, 10:56 AM)GCG Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 10:41 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I brought it up because I heard that the new Queen movie was already 2nd in sales to Compton. I enjoy documentaries more than biopics. The 2 part Eagles doc on Netflix was good. Henley and Frey came off as arrogant dictators, (especially Frey), but they probably had their reasons. I also enjoyed the doc on the Wrecking Crew. I guess the Sound of Music could be considered a biopic in the broadest sense of the term. I still enjoy watching it every now and then.

Boy! Do they!!!

And yes, Sound of Music could be.  It was just glossy. It wasn't THAT inaccurate.
(11-22-2018, 11:26 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Wrecking Crew- stupendous. My heroes.
How about Don't Look Back?

Yes, the Wrecking Crew is great. That's more a documentary, though, right?

Which makes me remember. Love and Mercy. I loved Love and Mercy. I went to see that at the theater.  It starts in the dark, black screen with this distorted kind of Beach Boys music montage happening that's very surrealistic.  Throughout the film Paul Dano plays Brian Wilson descent into mental illness so well, I felt I was going crazy right along with him.  Very good film.

I don't think I've seen Don't look back.
(11-22-2018, 11:09 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:

I enjoyed The Doobie Brothers: Let The Music Play on AXS.

I didn't catch that.
Capote
Raging bull
(11-22-2018, 01:45 PM)tvguy Wrote: Capote
Raging bull

Now you're just onto biopics. Did you miss the question or just intentionally pulling the rudder?
(11-22-2018, 01:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
Raging bull

Now you're just onto biopics. Did you miss the question or just intentionally pulling the rudder?

Sorry I can't help. I don't think I've seen any of the ones mentioned and can't think of any others.   Embarrassed
Sid and Nancy.

[Image: sidnancy.jpg]
(11-22-2018, 01:51 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
Raging bull

Sorry I can't help. I don't think I've seen any of the ones mentioned and can't think of any others.   Embarrassed

There are lots I have not seen.
Raging bull

Missed the music part. Smiling I read some that like Straight Outta Compton that I had no idea was about Music.

IMO the biopics about music usually suck.
(11-22-2018, 03:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Raging bull

Missed the music part. Smiling I read some that like Straight Outta Compton that I had no idea was about Music.

Perhaps they usually do.  But there are some good ones.  Straight outta Compton wasn't AMAZING but it was good.  I think Love and Mercy was amazing (to me), Sid and Nancy was good also. Nowhere boy was good.  What's Love got to do with it was good, so was Coal Miners Daughter and Ring of Fire. I think music (musician/band) biopics are very rich story telling material.  But it's hard to get them right.
(11-22-2018, 03:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 03:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Raging bull

Perhaps they usually do.  But there are some good ones.  Straight outta Compton wasn't AMAZING but it was good.  I think Love and Mercy was amazing (to me), Sid and Nancy was good also. Nowhere boy was good.  What's Love got to do with it was good, so was Coal Miners Daughter and Ring of Fire. I think music (musician/band) biopics are very rich story telling material.  But it's hard to get them right.

I thought Ray was a good one. Supposedly pretty accurate, too.