Things you've always wanted to know
(11-27-2018, 08:51 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:21 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 02:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: I actually have a couple antique light bulbs that still work In the original porcelain pull chain fixtures. They are from the 20's or 30's :Smiling Working as an electrician most of my life I have ran across tons of old light fixtures but it's rare to find working bulbs.

Probably due to the ham handed electricians removing them. 

Big Grin Laughing
Well yeah Laughing
Seriously it's rare to find because you have to find one in a light fixture that's been untouched and hardly used or never used for almost a century.

I knew a remodeling contractor years ago who did a lot of really high end jobs. He collected really old fixtures and other materials from jobs instead of trashing them. His hobby was building things with his collected stuff inside a warehouse he bought. It was the most fantastic pot inspired living room museum thing I've ever seen. Spiral stairs to nowhere made out of gorgeous hardwoods , bars suspended over pools and incredible chandeliers constructed out of old light fixtures, among other things. You would have to see it to really appreciate it.

Wonder whatever happened to it?
That sounds like something you would see on American Pickers. They have ran across a lot of artist collectors who make things out of random stuff.

Do you watch that show? I do, recorded of course. I wonder if anyone else gets sick and tired of Mikes blubbering. Laughing
(11-27-2018, 09:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 02:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: I actually have a couple antique light bulbs that still work In the original porcelain pull chain fixtures. They are from the 20's or 30's :Smiling Working as an electrician most of my life I have ran across tons of old light fixtures but it's rare to find working bulbs.

Big Grin Laughing
Well yeah Laughing
Seriously it's rare to find because you have to find one in a light fixture that's been untouched and hardly used or never used for almost a century.

I knew a remodeling contractor years ago who did a lot of really high end jobs. He collected really old fixtures and other materials from jobs instead of trashing them. His hobby was building things with his collected stuff inside a warehouse he bought. It was the most fantastic pot inspired living room museum thing I've ever seen. Spiral stairs to nowhere made out of gorgeous hardwoods , bars suspended over pools and incredible chandeliers constructed out of old light fixtures, among other things. You would have to see it to really appreciate it.

That sounds like something you would see on American Pickers. They have ran across a lot of artist collectors who make things out of random stuff.

Do you watch that show? I do, recorded of course. I wonder if anyone else gets sick and tired of Mikes blubbering. Laughing

Seems like I saw Pickers once. I don't have cable so I have no idea where I saw it.   Big Grin   Probably at a motel when I was working out of town sometime.
You can see American pickers on Youtube

[video=youtube] https://youtu.be/Y0Gu1DXSNjA[/video]
(11-27-2018, 08:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:03 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 02:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 09:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: I know we've probably discussed this in the past, but just to keep everyone reassured, the Livermore lightbulb, (117 years old in June 2018) is still on and lit. ;D

[Image: ctbulb.jpg]

http://www.centennialbulb.org/facts.htm

So it's practically burned out? No wonder it lasts and lasts. Also what kills the filament in a light bulb is the heating and cooling so never turning one off is part of why that one still works.

Incandescent light bulbs can be made to last a long time, I think the reason they aren't is partly planned obsolescence and the fact that if they are made to last they aren't as bright.
I used to install traffic signals and I would bring home the bulbs they use because they had a very long life.

I actually have a couple antique light bulbs that still work In the original porcelain pull chain fixtures. They are from the 20's or 30's :Smiling Working as an electrician most of my life I have ran across tons of old light fixtures but it's rare to find working bulbs.

Yes, yes, we know. So do they. Smiling

Are you now speaking for everyone who reads my post? Or the normal question.. We? do you have a mouse in your pocket Razz

I am speaking for everyone who reads this post.
(11-27-2018, 09:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 02:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 09:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: I know we've probably discussed this in the past, but just to keep everyone reassured, the Livermore lightbulb, (117 years old in June 2018) is still on and lit. ;D

[Image: ctbulb.jpg]

http://www.centennialbulb.org/facts.htm

So it's practically burned out? No wonder it lasts and lasts. Also what kills the filament in a light bulb is the heating and cooling so never turning one off is part of why that one still works.

Incandescent light bulbs can be made to last a long time, I think the reason they aren't is partly planned obsolescence and the fact that if they are made to last they aren't as bright.
I used to install traffic signals and I would bring home the bulbs they use because they had a very long life.

I actually have a couple antique light bulbs that still work In the original porcelain pull chain fixtures. They are from the 20's or 30's :Smiling Working as an electrician most of my life I have ran across tons of old light fixtures but it's rare to find working bulbs.

Are you now speaking for everyone who reads my post? Or the normal question.. We? do you have a mouse in your pocket Razz

When you said...Yes, yes, we know. So do they My first thought and I still wonder is, what exactly out of all the things I said, did all of you already know?
(11-27-2018, 09:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 02:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:   So it's practically burned out? No wonder it lasts and lasts. Also what kills the filament in a light bulb is the heating and cooling so never turning one off is part of why that one still works.

When you said...Yes, yes, we know. So do they My first thought and I still wonder is, what exactly out of all the things I said, did all of you already know?

Never mind. I'll leave you to wonder. Wink
(11-27-2018, 09:46 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:03 PM)Juniper Wrote: Yes, yes, we know. So do they. Smiling

That's fine. I'm used to that with some of your posts Big Grin
(11-27-2018, 09:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 09:46 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: Are you now speaking for everyone who reads my post? Or the normal question.. We? do you have a mouse in your pocket Razz

That's fine. I'm used to that with some of your posts Big Grin
Yes, so you've said.
(11-27-2018, 07:57 PM)Scrapper Wrote: 650 Horsepower!

You know you wanted to know. [Image: efd2803e42b67cb73ae9325a6418c5db.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

And $20 says the owner would still hold me and my 4cyl. up on most roadways.

Big Grin Laughing
Well yeah Laughing

I used to watch it, but eventually got burnt out on it. With a lot of shows like that, the network morons try to capitalize on the success and go overboard with "enhanced episodes" which is just a fancy marketing ploy for Rerun.  Naked and Afraid is probably one of the worst offenders of this. Gave up on that show also. I'm not going to waste time rewatching episodes because they toss up a few facts to read and I don't appreciate they trick my DVR to record these supposedly "new" episodes, when this sort of crap starts happening I delete the timer and move on.
(11-28-2018, 08:04 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:21 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Probably due to the ham handed electricians removing them. 

Big Grin Laughing
Well yeah Laughing

I used to watch it, but eventually got burnt out on it. With a lot of shows like that, the network morons try to capitalize on the success and go overboard with "enhanced episodes" which is just a fancy marketing ploy for Rerun.  Naked and Afraid is probably one of the worst offenders of this. Gave up on that show also. I'm not going to waste time rewatching episodes because they toss up a few facts to read and I don't appreciate they trick my DVR to record these supposedly  "new" episodes, when this sort of crap starts happening I delete the timer and move on.
I know exactly what you mean. They make a new show out of bits and pieces of old ones which costs a fraction of the cost of making regular show.

American Pickers does it But I record everything so I just fast forward through until I see something new.
Naked and afraid seems like the same show over and over with different people. Without clothes. I wish they would  wear clothes I don't get the point of being naked.
I do like these survival type shows depending. The show "alone" is too boring. Most of them just sit and starve.. yippee Rolling Eyes
Survivor started OK now it's soap Oprah with a lot of bickering
(11-28-2018, 03:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: Well yeah Laughing

I used to watch it, but eventually got burnt out on it. With a lot of shows like that, the network morons try to capitalize on the success and go overboard with "enhanced episodes" which is just a fancy marketing ploy for Rerun.  Naked and Afraid is probably one of the worst offenders of this. Gave up on that show also. I'm not going to waste time rewatching episodes because they toss up a few facts to read and I don't appreciate they trick my DVR to record these supposedly  "new" episodes, when this sort of crap starts happening I delete the timer and move on.
I know exactly what you mean. They make a new show out of bits and pieces of old ones which costs a fraction of the cost of making regular show.

American Pickers does it But I record everything so I just fast forward through until I see something new.
Naked and afraid seems like the same show over and over with different people. Without clothes. I wish they would  wear clothes I don't get the point of being naked.
I do like these survival type shows depending. The show "alone" is too boring. Most of them just sit and starve.. yippee Rolling Eyes

opera
(11-28-2018, 04:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 03:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:51 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I knew a remodeling contractor years ago who did a lot of really high end jobs. He collected really old fixtures and other materials from jobs instead of trashing them. His hobby was building things with his collected stuff inside a warehouse he bought. It was the most fantastic pot inspired living room museum thing I've ever seen. Spiral stairs to nowhere made out of gorgeous hardwoods , bars suspended over pools and incredible chandeliers constructed out of old light fixtures, among other things. You would have to see it to really appreciate it.

opera
At this point what does it matter Razz
Oprah soap on a rope
[Image: 0449296cdc1b9d0917767a7eca14e90c.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
"Scientists pinpoint cause of harmful dendrites and whiskers in lithium batteries"
https://phys.org/news/2019-10-scientists...eries.html

Freakin' whiskers are causing battery fires. Why didn't I think of that!

Mad Laughing
(10-14-2019, 07:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote: "Scientists pinpoint cause of harmful dendrites and whiskers in lithium batteries"

Mad Laughing

Whiskers eh?  Kind of reminds me of TH on the old Forum who told us that when looking at the abreviation for copper nanotubes, you could see another, not so nice word. The chemical abbreviation for copper being Cu, and Nanotubes being NT.  ......  Well, you see what I mean.  It got to be a joke.
(10-14-2019, 07:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote: "Scientists pinpoint cause of harmful dendrites and whiskers in lithium batteries"

Mad Laughing

That's why I always shave my batteries.