Dumb or Funny Headlines
I've been seeing a lot of newspaper headlines that are funny, usually because of punctuation or lack there of, or just plain dumb ones. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention and they have always been this way but It seems to me that they've been becoming more prevalent.

Now share them around! Here's one...

"75% of the US population will suffer below-freezing temps this week"
-CNN

Duh, it's the middle of winter.   Razz
(01-28-2019, 01:39 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I've been seeing a lot of newspaper headlines that are funny, usually because of punctuation or lack there of, or just plain dumb ones. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention and they have always been this way but It seems to me that they've been becoming more prevalent.

-CNN

I saw that yesterday. I think they also said there were 200 million people with below freezing temps.
I think it's actually noteworthy.
(01-28-2019, 02:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 01:39 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I've been seeing a lot of newspaper headlines that are funny, usually because of punctuation or lack there of, or just plain dumb ones. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention and they have always been this way but It seems to me that they've been becoming more prevalent.

-CNN

I saw that yesterday. I think they also said there were 200 million people with below freezing temps.

I'm not talking about the story just the headline. For a large part of the country, population wise, to be below freezing (32F) sometime in a week, in the middle of winter, doesn't seem noteworthy by itself. It's dumb.
(01-28-2019, 02:41 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

-CNN

I'm not talking about the story just the headline. For a large part of the country, population wise, to be below freezing (32F) sometime in a week, in the middle of winter, doesn't seem noteworthy by itself. It's dumb.

I have no idea when in the past 75% of our population had to deal with below freezing temps. It sounded note worthy to me.

It's a huge arcric cold front ,every single state.. all 50 are seeing temps below freezing.. even Hawaii.
(01-28-2019, 03:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:

-CNN

I have no idea when in the past 75% of our population had to deal with below freezing temps. It sounded note worthy to me.

It's a huge arcric cold front ,every single state.. all 50 are seeing temps below freezing.. even Hawaii.

You like to argue, don't you?   Laughing
(01-28-2019, 03:47 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

-CNN

No dude I like to be honest. . I simply don't find the headline to be dumb or funny in any way at all There's fucking Alligators freezing FFS Laughing Laughing
(01-28-2019, 04:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 02:32 PM)tvguy Wrote: I saw that yesterday. I think they also said there were 200 million people with below freezing temps.

No dude I like to be honest. . I simply don't find the headline to be dumb or funny in any way at all There's fucking Alligators freezing FFS Laughing Laughing

He likes to be honest but that means expressing it and that often means debate. Sometimes He's gotta point.  Sometimes....? Big Grin
(01-28-2019, 10:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 02:41 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'm not talking about the story just the headline. For a large part of the country, population wise, to be below freezing (32F) sometime in a week, in the middle of winter, doesn't seem noteworthy by itself. It's dumb.

He likes to be honest but that means expressing it and that often means debate. Sometimes He's gotta point.  Sometimes....? Big Grin

who determines what's honest?
(01-28-2019, 11:52 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 03:03 PM)tvguy Wrote: I have no idea when in the past 75% of our population had to deal with below freezing temps. It sounded note worthy to me.

I volunteer.
(01-29-2019, 12:33 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 11:52 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 03:47 PM)Cuzz Wrote: You like to argue, don't you?   Laughing

I volunteer.

I am pleased to inform you that you've been hired.

Just as soon as the kickback check clears.   Laughing
What the hell is with the wind chill??
Has anyone else noticed the weather people on national news show the windchill instead of the actual temperature??

I've noticed this before but yesterday on the evening news when they were talking about the the cold front all over the east they showed the f****** windchill and not even the REAL temps??

Now they have even sensationalized the weather Blink
(01-29-2019, 02:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: What the hell is with the wind chill??
Has anyone else noticed the weather people on national news show the windchill instead of the actual temperature??

I've noticed this before but yesterday on the evening news when they were talking about the the cold front all over the east they showed the f****** windchill and not even the REAL temps??

Were have you been. They've been sensationalizing the weather for a long time now, right along with most things.

Yes, but this morning, I appreciated it when the weather guy said he didn't like using the word "polar vortex". He said 'it's just a cold front."  I appreciate that.
(01-29-2019, 03:48 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Were have you been. They've been sensationalizing the weather for a long time now, right along with most things.
Yes I guess so but I would like to know what the real temperature is. What difference does the wind chill matter if it's your water pipe feezing that you are worried about? Or your car. Or your outside dog?

Who cares what the wind does to my bare skin? That's not weather.
(01-30-2019, 03:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yes I guess so but I would like to know what the real temperature is. What difference does the wind chill matter if it's your water pipe feezing that you are worried about? Or your car. Or your outside dog?

I got that. I don't disagree.
(01-30-2019, 06:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Wind chill only effects stuff that is wet. Like your skin.
The wind can increase the rate of heat transfer, but will not make anything colder, unless it's has water to evaporate.
(01-30-2019, 06:21 PM)chuck white Wrote:

The wind can increase the rate of heat transfer, but will not make anything colder, unless it's has water to evaporate.

That seems like an effect. My digits aren't believing you.   Razz

Tell me about it. My friend was convinced that because of the wind chill his car engine would freeze faster.

I said.. IF you were right then I could put a fan in my refrigerator and it would get colder Laughing
(01-30-2019, 06:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 03:48 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Were have you been. They've been sensationalizing the weather for a long time now, right along with most things.

Tell me about it. My friend was convinced that because of the wind chill his car engine would freeze faster.

I said.. IF you were right then I could put a fan in my refrigerator and it would get colder Laughing

My wife wants to keep the fans going when we leave the house. So it will be cooler when we get back.
Laughing
(01-31-2019, 07:47 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 06:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 03:34 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yes I guess so but I would like to know what the real temperature is. What difference does the wind chill matter if it's your water pipe feezing that you are worried about? Or your car. Or your outside dog?

My wife wants to keep the fans going when we leave the house. So it will be cooler when we get back.
Laughing
LOL She should marry my friend.