The Tree pruning has begun.
There sure are a lot of branches falling. I heard a big boom and went out to have a look. A tree snapped about twenty five feet up and landed right in the middle of the roof to my covered patio. Looks like the top twenty feet of the tree is on the roof. The rest is laying on top of my old chicken hutch, about twenty feet away.  Looks like the hutch took some damage. The covered patio looks OK. I'll get a better look in the morning, or maybe not, with the snow cover.
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.mysafetysign.com...26.png&f=1]
(02-26-2019, 10:53 PM)chuck white Wrote: There sure are a lot of branches falling. I heard a big boom and went out to have a look. A tree snapped about twenty five feet up and landed right in the middle of the roof to my covered patio. Looks like the top twenty feet of the tree is on the roof. The rest is laying on top of my old chicken hutch, about twenty feet away.  Looks like the hutch took some damage. The covered patio looks OK. I'll get a better look in the morning, or maybe not, with the snow cover.

Need pics LOL
We don't really have any tree threats at our place, I suppose one of the pines across the street if the whole tree came down could reach our house. But many years ago we lived in a heavily wooded area and during times like this I hardly slept a wink, the constant sound of snapping branches and loud thumps and the threat of something big smashing into the house always kept me awake. During one particularly bad storm I filled my truck 3 times with all the broken branches from around the property. The only damage we ever sustained was a branch hit one of our vehicles and dented the hood. After that storm I always moved our cars out of the danger zone whenever it started snowing.
I have a lot of trees around my house but I was lucky enough to get the tallest one trimmed. My new neighbor got his truck buried in the mud and where he was none of his friends could pull him out.
I saw what was going on so I grabbed my old logging 150 ft cable and ran it from my property through the fence over to his truck.
I mounted a pulley on his front bumper and then ran the cable through it to a tree. I was able to pull him out and never left my driveway LOL.
So a few months later he had a bucket truck and some old lineman helping him cut down a beautiful and perfectly healthy large blue spruce.
I went over and asked if for 100 bucks he could boom me up for 15 minutes to top my tree. So he came over and I was able to cut all the really high huge limbs off of a huge poplar tree.

There were two others that I foolishly did myself with an extension ladder and a pole saw, cables and my truck  performing death defying acts LOL, never again Embarrassed .

Anyway they have grown back so fast I will have to hire someone or rent a bucket truck

This is a willow,on the left is plum tree, The poplars were so high I went as high as I could, cut through about 3/4 and then pulled the top with my truck.
I didn't cut deep enough and I had to climb back up three times and cut it deeper until it worked. I'm an idiot.

[Image: tree-trimmer-cropped.jpg]
(02-27-2019, 01:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: I have a lot of trees around my house but I was lucky enough to get the tallest one trimmed. My new neighbor got his truck buried in the mud and where he was none of his friends could pull him out.
I saw what was going on so I grabbed my old logging 150 ft cable and ran it from my property through the fence over to his truck.
I mounted a pulley on his front bumper and then ran the cable through it to a tree. I was able to pull him out and never left my driveway LOL.
So a few months later he had a bucket truck and some old lineman helping him cut down a beautiful and perfectly healthy large blue spruce.
I went over and asked if for 100 bucks he could boom me up for 15 minutes to top my tree. So he came over and I was able to cut all the really high huge limbs off of a huge poplar tree.

There were two others that I foolishly did myself with an extension ladder and a pole saw, cables and my truck  performing death defying acts LOL, never again Embarrassed .

Anyway they have grown back so fast I will have to hire someone or rent a bucket truck

This is a willow,on the left is plum tree, The poplars were so high I went as high as I could, cut through about 3/4 and then pulled the top with my truck.
I didn't cut deep enough and I had to climb back up three times and cut it deeper until it worked. I'm an idiot.

Totally safe, you're not even on the top rung for crying out loud. Wink Laughing Razz
(02-27-2019, 01:32 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 01:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: I have a lot of trees around my house but I was lucky enough to get the tallest one trimmed. My new neighbor got his truck buried in the mud and where he was none of his friends could pull him out.

Totally safe, you're not even on the top rung for crying out loud. Wink Laughing Razz

Right LOL. And now that I look I don't think I have the lanyard from my safety belt around the tree Razz
(02-27-2019, 02:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Right LOL. And now that I look I don't think I have the lanyard from my safety belt around the tree Razz
You have one of those hard hats on. If you fall, just land on your head.
(02-28-2019, 07:12 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 02:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You have one of those hard hats on. If you fall, just land on your head.

Laughing  Well of course you know that helps when the vibration from the saw breaks loose dead limbs that conk you on your noggin.

I was cutting long skinny branches with that pole saw and one about an inch wide and 10 feet long came sliding down and hit my hand right above the thumb.

It hurt so bad I was positive I broke something, went to urgent care, got an Xray. Nothing broken. Blink

THIS... why women live longer than men. Just sayin'!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(02-28-2019, 10:27 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Pretty much LOL. I used to tell my apprentices.. speed first, accuracy second and safety third. Razz
(02-28-2019, 10:49 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Pretty much LOL. I used to tell my apprentices.. speed first, accuracy second and safety third. Razz

I use to tell my trainees if it looks good and it works... perfect. If it looks good but doesn't work, it's OK we can fix it. But if it looks bad and doesn't work you might want to consider a different line of work.  Laughing
(02-28-2019, 10:59 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

I use to tell my trainees if it looks good and it works... perfect. If it looks good but doesn't work, it's OK we can fix it. But if it looks bad and doesn't work you might want to consider a different line of work.  Laughing
LOL Perfect.

I had a buddy electrician who used to ask customers if they wanted it cheap or pretty.
(02-28-2019, 11:29 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 10:59 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

LOL Perfect.

I had a buddy electrician who used to ask customers if they wanted it cheap or pretty.

I knew a Madam, who would ask the same question. Eyebrows