I love my smart meter
The graphs tell it all. All the people who complain about bills being too high can now look and see what there bill WILL be.
You can also set your account so that you get an alert ( text or email) is something goes haywire and is using a lot of power.
Anyway with the cold we are experiencing now I can almost guarantee the locals on FB groups will be screaming about the horrible monopoly power company is ripping them off.

If any of you haven't opened an online account with PP&L here's the kind of info you get.

This is  yesterday. Look at how the temperature stayed right near 32 degrees for the whole day. Today is the same or colder and these temps will really make some peoples bills go up.
You can see the spike at 1700 and 1800 (5 o'clock and 6) when my wife was using the electric stove and maybe the dishwasher.

[Image: forum-a.jpg]

This is my usage for the month of February. Those spikes were the times I was out in my shop with lights on, maybe the air compressor,tools, 55 in TV running through a stereo etc.
It looks bad but it's really not. My bill for that period is only $106.00. Because I have a pellet stove for heat.

[Image: forum.jpg]
I have the meter, I have not seen a spike on my bill at all, ours stays pretty consistent, largely because our main source of heat is the wood stove. Our highest month is always December when we hit $140 to $150, I blame all the Christmas decor crap and wife/kids home for Christmas break, so more energy in use. I plan to open the PP&L online account I just havn't got around to it yet.

My wife talked to someone recently that was complaining about their $600/mo power bill, electric heat being their only source. If my bill was ever $600 I'd faint.
(02-28-2019, 12:29 PM)GPnative Wrote: I have the meter, I have not seen a spike on my bill at all, ours stays pretty consistent, largely because our main source of heat is the wood stove. Our highest month is always December when we hit $140 to $150, I blame all the Christmas decor crap and wife/kids home for Christmas break, so more energy in use. I plan to open the PP&L online account I just havn't got around to it yet.

My wife talked to someone recently that was complaining about their $600/mo power bill, electric heat being their only source. If my bill was ever $600 I'd faint.

I have the meter, I have not seen a spike on my bill at all

Well of course not LOL

Our highest month is always December when we hit $140 to $150

Don't you have air conditioning? The summer is my highest bills because of running the AC. Especially when it was too smokey for so long to go outside.

My wife talked to someone recently that was complaining about their $600/mo power bill, electric heat being their only source.

I hear these stories on facebook a lot and without knowing the circumstances it's impossible to know what's going on.
How many sq ft are they heating? What type of heat. How many people live there. Is laundry done every day. How many take showers and for how long. Is the lighting LED? Do they have a big ass hot tub. How well is the home insulated. How many reefers or freezers do they have? Do they have a barn, shop, guest cottage etc.

They always want to complain but they seldom want help. It's so much easier to decide they are getting ripped off.
(02-28-2019, 03:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 12:29 PM)GPnative Wrote: I have the meter, I have not seen a spike on my bill at all, ours stays pretty consistent, largely because our main source of heat is the wood stove. Our highest month is always December when we hit $140 to $150, I blame all the Christmas decor crap and wife/kids home for Christmas break, so more energy in use. I plan to open the PP&L online account I just havn't got around to it yet.

Well of course not LOL

Don't you have air conditioning? The summer is my highest bills because of running the AC. Especially when it was too smokey for so long to go outside.

My wife talked to someone recently that was complaining about their $600/mo power bill, electric heat being their only source.

I hear these stories on facebook a lot and without knowing the circumstances it's impossible to know what's going on.
How many sq ft are they heating? What type of heat. How many people live there. Is laundry done every day. How many take showers and for how long. Is the lighting LED? Do they have a big ass hot tub. How well is the home insulated. How many reefers or freezers do they have? Do they have a barn, shop, guest cottage etc.

They always want to complain but they seldom want help. It's so much easier to decide they are getting ripped off.

I had a neighbor once who complained of his excessive electric bill. It was pretty big so I asked him about it a little. Seems he had "in ceiling electric radiant heat" and very minimal insulation. Well, no shit Sherlock.

I'll bet his attic was nice and cozy.
(02-28-2019, 03:46 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Well of course not LOL

I had a neighbor once who complained of his excessive electric bill. It was pretty big so I asked him about it a little. Seems he had "in ceiling electric radiant heat" and very minimal insulation. Well, no shit Sherlock.

I'll bet his attic was nice and cozy.

Yeah that was popular back in the late 60's and 70's. I think electricity was cheaper then. I've been called on to fix it a few times but it's very difficult and expensive so I always told them as much.
In each room there would be a 220 volt T-stat usually by the door. My fix was to disconnect the ceiling heat and right below the t-stat install a fan forced heater.

Anyway if people only knew how much they pay per year for power because they don't have enough insulation they would add more. What kills me are the ones who won't do it because they rent. So they pay a shitload more for power than it would cost to insulate.

Well of course not LOL

The meter and no spike was just to reiterate that it is performing as the old analog, as I have also heard people blaming the smart meter for increased billing.

We do have AC, but we  are conservative with it and do not try to turn the house into a meat locker.
Checked my bank records, June 2018 $106, July was $145  Aug $131, so it looks like July and December are the high months.

And  yes,  whole numbers are the actual paid amounts, I always round up to next whole dollar,  don't know why, I just always do.  Big Grin
(02-28-2019, 07:33 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Well of course not LOL

The meter and no spike was just to reiterate that it is performing as the old analog, as I have also heard people blaming the smart meter for increased billing.

We do have AC, but we  are conservative with it and do not try to turn the house into a meat locker.
Checked my bank records, June 2018 $106, July was $145  Aug $131, so it looks like July and December are the high months.

And  yes,  whole numbers are the actual paid amounts, I always round up to next whole dollar,  don't know why, I just always do.  Big Grin

You should take the couple minutes to go online with PP&L to see all that info. I bet it would have been faster than checking your records Wink
My highest bills are July and august. We have two window AC units. In the summer we usually turn them on in the afternoon when the temps inside get to 80 or so.
Last year with the smoke and being inside all the time my bill for August was still $187.00. because it's not really that much extra money we aren't too diligent about trying to use it as less as possible.

I always round up too lol. And I poke fun at people who round down which is what retailers hope people will do.
The meter guy said if your worried about the smart meters, he suggest, tin foil hats.

I thought about that and I'm going to put a tin foil hat on my meter, like he suggested.

That should stop all that RF power from being transmitted out and ruining my mojo.
(03-01-2019, 12:57 AM)chuck white Wrote: The meter guy said if your worried about the smart meters, he suggest, tin foil hats.

I thought about that and I'm going to put a tin foil hat on my meter, like he suggested.

That should stop all that RF power from being transmitted out and ruining my mojo.

Well, I did my first tin foil hat test. (aluminum foil to be accurate) My hourly readings seemed to have stopped.
I was motivated by the fact, my smart TV kept crashing. I realized that it started  happening about the time they installed the meter. The meter is just on the other side of wall from my TV. My TV didn't crash after I placed the hat on my meter.

My plan is to leave it off during the day and put in on when I'm home.
(03-09-2019, 11:11 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-01-2019, 12:57 AM)chuck white Wrote: The meter guy said if your worried about the smart meters, he suggest, tin foil hats.

Well, I did my first tin foil hat test. (aluminum foil to be accurate) My hourly readings seemed to have stopped.
I was motivated by the fact, my smart TV kept crashing. I realized that it started  happening about the time they installed the meter. The meter is just on the other side of wall from my TV. My TV didn't crash after I placed the hat on my meter.

If your fucking it up they will be sending someone to replace it.

My hourly readings seemed to have stopped

Seemed to?  Did they or didn't they?

I bet your TV will still crash and bust your conclusion. I did a google search and apparently you are the only person on the planet who has this problem.
(03-09-2019, 12:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I bet your TV will still crash and bust your conclusion. I did a google search and apparently you are the only person on the planet who has this problem.

I haven't seen that happen but I wouldn't say it couldn't happen. I have a somewhat similar problem. My TV noises up and looses signal when I turn on a lamp. It's just one lamp in particular with an LED bulb in it. None of the other LED bulbs in the room do it and if I change out the bulb with an incandescent bulb the problem goes away. The trouble is I can't find incandescent bulbs anymore.

I've asked at stores if they have cleaner (not noisy) LED bulbs but they just give me the "deer in the headlights" look or say that can't happen. What do they know, it's consistent and repeatable. When I run out of old incandescent bulbs I'll be screwed.
(03-09-2019, 12:40 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I haven't seen that happen but I wouldn't say it couldn't happen. I have a somewhat similar problem. My TV noises up and looses signal when I turn on a lamp. It's just one lamp in particular with an LED bulb in it. None of the other LED bulbs in the room do it and if I change out the bulb with an incandescent bulb the problem goes away. The trouble is I can't find incandescent bulbs anymore.

I've asked at stores if they have cleaner (not noisy) LED bulbs but they just give me the "deer in the headlights" look or say that can't happen. What do they know, it's consistent and repeatable. When I run out of old incandescent bulbs I'll be screwed.

I think you can still get incandescent bulbs at the dollar store.
The power company web site only lets you see yesterday or earlier readings.
I have no readings available for Friday.
If a tin foil hat killed their meter, a lot of people will want to know that.
(It was one of their installers, who suggested the tin foil hat)
(03-09-2019, 12:55 PM)chuck white Wrote:

A tin foil hat won't (shouldn't) kill the meter but it will block the wireless signal. Unless it's a cheap ass transceiver or duplexer then the reflection might do it in. The meter section should be OK though.
I am curious to see, when the meter reconnects to the motherland. If it puts all the power used when offline into a single hourly report. Or does it have memory and will report by hour, the usage when off line.

. Who said anything about killing the meter? I'm thinking that if the power company is missing readings then they might think something is wrong with the meter and want to come check or replace

It was one of their installers, who suggested the tin foil hat

So what? I talked to my installer fro long enough to know he didn't know shit from apple butter. I though they would have to hire real electricians but  they were just employees of the smart meter company.

Is your TV on an antenna? Have you tried a different lamp? If your TV and this lamp OR the other LED bulbs in the room on the same circuit as the TV?

if I change out the bulb with an incandescent bulb the problem goes away.

It could be that the Led bulb does not fit in the the screw shell the same as the incandescent. I have noticed that.
I have a light fixture in our utility room and the light was hit or miss when you flipped the switch.
The first time my fix was just to twist the bulb in harder.
That worked a while and then the same problem happened. So I took out the bulb and pulled out the little tab a bit in the bottom of the screw shell .
That was the problem
(03-09-2019, 03:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 11:11 AM)chuck white Wrote: Well, I did my first tin foil hat test. (aluminum foil to be accurate) My hourly readings seemed to have stopped.

. Who said anything about killing the meter? I'm thinking that if the power company is missing readings then they might think something is wrong with the meter and want to come check or replace

So what? I talked to my installer fro long enough to know he didn't know shit from apple butter. I though they would have to hire real electricians but  they were just employees of the smart meter company.

You're right about them not knowing shit from apple butter, He probably thought that, I should wear the tin foil hat.
But I know it is more effective for the meter to have the tin foil hat, to protect me from radiation.

It did finally reconnect, it must have some memory. It did end up reporting my hourly usage.
Good to know I didn't bust their meter. Also good to know I can stop the radiation while I'm home.
(03-09-2019, 04:10 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: If your fucking it up they will be sending someone to replace it.

You're right about them not knowing shit from apple butter, He probably thought that, I should wear the tin foil hat.
But I know it is more effective for the meter to have the tin foil hat, to protect me from radiation.

It did finally reconnect, it must have some memory. It did end up reporting my hourly usage.
Good to know I didn't bust their meter. Also good to know I can stop the radiation while I'm home.
Number one what makes you think this minuscule amount of radiation will hurt you? Why would you think so when the science says otherwise. And these smart meters are being used all over the world. So the issue of safety has been looked at by countless experts.
And secondly what would stop the radiation from going out the BACK of your meter? There's no tin foil on the back right?

And C... Razz  as far as this Also good to know I can stop the radiation while I'm home

How did you arrive at that conclusion? You don't know for sure because you had foil on the meter that was why your daily usage was not there when you first looked .
(03-09-2019, 04:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:40 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I haven't seen that happen but I wouldn't say it couldn't happen. I have a somewhat similar problem. My TV noises up and looses signal when I turn on a lamp. It's just one lamp in particular with an LED bulb in it. None of the other LED bulbs in the room do it and if I change out the bulb with an incandescent bulb the problem goes away. The trouble is I can't find incandescent bulbs anymore.

Number one what makes you think this minuscule amount of radiation will hurt you? Why would you think so when the science says otherwise. And these smart meters are being used all over the world. So the issue of safety has been looked at by countless experts.
And secondly what would stop the radiation from going out the BACK of your meter? There's no tin foil on the back right?

And C... Razz  as far as this Also good to know I can stop the radiation while I'm home

How did you arrive at that conclusion? You don't know for sure because you had foil on the meter that was why your daily usage was not there when you first looked .

You might be right, I haven't looked at the usage site long enough to know if there is a lag in reporting.  I'm assuming by noon, they would have the previous days readings available.
I'll know more as I experiment more.

The back of the meter is metal and I assume they are broadcasting out of the glass of the meter.
Also what makes you think that it's a ' minuscule amount of radiation' ?
Not knowing the frequency, power output, radiation field pattern. I can't say it's not hurting me.

Personally, I'm more pissed off about my wi-fi links crashing. At first I thought the Chinese were messing with the Web. The end of net neutrality might be a factor.
Who knows, but the meter, is something I can experiment with.
(03-09-2019, 05:02 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 04:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: I think you can still get incandescent bulbs at the dollar store.

You might be right, I haven't looked at the usage site long enough to know if there is a lag in reporting.  I'm assuming by noon, they would have the previous days readings available.
I'll know more as I experiment more.

The back of the meter is metal and I assume they are broadcasting out of the glass of the meter.
Also what makes you think that it's a ' minuscule amount of radiation' ?
Not knowing the frequency, power output, radiation field pattern. I can't say it's not hurting me.

Personally, I'm more pissed off about my wi-fi links crashing. At first I thought the Chinese were messing with the Web. The end of net neutrality might be a factor.
Who knows, but the meter, is something I can experiment with.

Personally I'd be more concerned using a cell phone in close proximity to my head then an electric meter outside phoning home. The signal power drops pretty dramatically with distance.