Dumb or Funny Headlines
(05-07-2019, 05:35 PM)GPnative Wrote: Channel 10 graphic typo this week said there was a hooting in medford .....damn owls  Wink Big Grin

There's a hooting in my yard most nights. It's really not news.   Smiling
(05-07-2019, 05:35 PM)GPnative Wrote: Channel 10 graphic typo this week said there was a hooting in medford .....damn owls  Wink Big Grin

Took me a minute.. shooting, right? Smiling
(05-07-2019, 06:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Took me a minute.. shooting, right? Smiling

Yes  Smiling

OK, I laughed out loud. No one here but me and my dog. Laughing Blink Embarrassed
(05-07-2019, 08:55 PM)Juniper Wrote:

OK, I laughed out loud. No one here but me and my dog. Laughing Blink Embarrassed

How is the dog? I thought you might have gotten rid of it because I saw you contemplating adopting a dog on FB.
(05-07-2019, 10:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

How is the dog? I thought you might have gotten rid of it because I saw you contemplating adopting a dog on FB.

Oh, the dog is great. I was thinking of getting another midsize dog to keep him company. This dog is really good for me with my mobility issues, because he's very mellow and gentle and doesn't need much exercise, but he needs some.  And he gets super anxious when I'm not home.  I still haven't quit working. But I've had to drop to half time, which really changes my livability, and I feel like I'm faking it and that any day something is going to happen to makle me completely invalid.  So, a second dog is iffy. Trying to find the right dog that will be mellow and gentle and not much to handle is difficult. The dog they mentioned online sounded like a possiblility, but I never made it out there. Other life things happened.
(05-08-2019, 06:23 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 10:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Oh, the dog is great. I was thinking of getting another midsize dog to keep him company. This dog is really good for me with my mobility issues, because he's very mellow and gentle and doesn't need much exercise, but he needs some.  And he gets super anxious when I'm not home.  I still haven't quit working. But I've had to drop to half time, which really changes my livability, and I feel like I'm faking it and that any day something is going to happen to makle me completely invalid.  So, a second dog is iffy. Trying to find the right dog that will be mellow and gentle and not much to handle is difficult. The dog they mentioned online sounded like a possiblility, but I never made it out there. Other life things happened.

We have always had two dogs for the same reasons you mentioned. Big Grin  Our English Mastiff and out Rottie grew up together and were great pals.
Out Rottie just died from cancer a couple months ago. We bought a can corso close to two years ago and he and the rottie really loved each other.
Out English Mastiff didn't care for the cane corso at all. Bit her several times. But now finally after all this time she is friendly but now she's old and senile LOL.
So it won't be long until our cane corso is all alone Sad

[Image: coco-rocco-lola-xxx.jpg]
The problem for me, is that I go to the pound. You can't really go shopping at the pound. You might think you are. Maybe some people do...but I never know what I'll get.  It just happens. Some dog just speaks to you somehow and that's it. I swore I wouldn't get a pit, but I suspect mine is
part pit. And part mastiff. But he's not huge. I think that's the pit in him keeping him small.
(05-08-2019, 06:52 PM)Juniper Wrote: The problem for me, is that I go to the pound. You can't really go shopping at the pound. You might think you are. Maybe some people do...but I never know what I'll get.  It just happens. Some dog just speaks to you somehow and that's it. I swore I wouldn't get a pit, but I suspect mine is
part pit. And part mastiff. But he's not huge. I think that's the pit in him keeping him small.

He's not what I would call small.... Is he? how much does he weigh? I think the biggest problem with pits are the unneutered males.
That and for some reason I think more than most dogs they will attack and kill smaller dogs. My neighbors pit attacked my dog instantly with in one second of them meeting.
Now me neighbors has a girl friend and his pit attacked her dog the first time he got the chance. I didn't see it but my neighbor showed me his hand where he was all cut up trying to pull his pit off her dog.
He says he won't ever get another.
Having said that I still think the vast majority of pits are perfectly fine and especially if they are a mixed breed.
(05-09-2019, 01:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 06:52 PM)Juniper Wrote: The problem for me, is that I go to the pound. You can't really go shopping at the pound. You might think you are. Maybe some people do...but I never know what I'll get.  It just happens. Some dog just speaks to you somehow and that's it. I swore I wouldn't get a pit, but I suspect mine is

He's not what I would call small.... Is he? how much does he weigh? I think the biggest problem with pits are the unneutered males.
That and for some reason I think more than most dogs they will attack and kill smaller dogs. My neighbors pit attacked my dog instantly with in one second of them meeting.
Now me neighbors has a girl friend and his pit attacked her dog the first time he got the chance. I didn't see it but my neighbor showed me his hand where he was all cut up trying to pull his pit off her dog.
Having said that I still think the vast majority of pits are perfectly fine and especially if they are a mixed breed.

He's about 100 pounds. But I didn't want a pit, not because of being worried about the breed, but because others are worried about the breed, and I just wanted to avoid issues. And he adores small dogs and children. He adores everyone actually. But I had a kitten once, and a friend came over with a pit bull. the cat was sleeping on the chair in a little ball. That pitbull was on it so fast, and killed in a few seconds.  Well almost. Sad
(05-09-2019, 02:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 01:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:

He's about 100 pounds. But I didn't want a pit, not because of being worried about the breed, but because others are worried about the breed, and I just wanted to avoid issues. And he adores small dogs and children. He adores everyone actually. But I had a kitten once, and a friend came over with a pit bull. the cat was sleeping on the chair in a little ball. That pitbull was on it so fast, and killed in a few seconds.  Well almost. Sad
100 pounds is huge to a lot or people. So you tell a story that pretty much confirms my idea that pits too often kill smaller animals and yet the only reason you don't want one is because of what others might think?

If I had one I would indeed be worried about the breed. And no I'm not missing the irony or contradiction of me owning a cane corso Laughing Laughing

When we bought the cane corso we got a runt of the litter just like we did with our English mastiff. Our mastiff was only about 120 some ponds at her peak weight.
This is why she is still alive at almost 13 years old. But this time getting a runt didn't matter. Coco is huge for a female of her breed.

[Image: coco-pond-gkgkg.jpg]

[Image: coco-pond-vv.jpg]
I meant he wasn't as big as a mastiff could get. The other breed is keeping him small. And I have no particular attraction to Pit bulls, so I would never be looking specifically for a pit bull. My reason for not getting them is that they seem to upset people and insurance agents and just in general...so, since I don't really have an attraction to them, why not just avoid them? I've seen many, many sweet natured, silly old Pits and Staffordshire terriers also, but I'm not going around looking for one. What's unfortunate about the pound is that 95% of their dogs seem to be some kind of pit bull. The better breeds are at Southern Oregon Human, but I boycott them on principle. Those people are loopy and over the top.
JuniperI meant he wasn't as big as a mastiff could get.  The other breed is keeping him small.  And I have no particular attraction to Pit bulls, so I would never be looking specifically for a pit bull.  My reason for not getting them is that they seem to upset people and insurance agents and just in general...so, since I don't really have an attraction to them, why not just avoid them?  I've seen many, many sweet natured, silly old Pits and Staffordshire terriers also, but I'm not going around looking for one. What's unfortunate about the pound is that 95% of their dogs seem to be some kind of pit bull. The better breeds are at Southern Oregon Human, but I boycott them on principle. Those people are loopy and over the top.

I've seen many, many sweet natured, silly old Pits and Staffordshire terriers also,

So have I but facts are facts and insurance companies don't base what they do on a dogs undeserved reputation or a stigma against PB's.

I think pits are indeed a dangerous breed. The typical defense PB lovers use is it's not the dog but the owner that makes them aggressive.
My question to those people which has never been answered is this.... Why don't other breeds have these bad owners that teach aggression? Where are all the bad owners of Labradors?
(05-09-2019, 03:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: JuniperI meant he wasn't as big as a mastiff could get.  The other breed is keeping him small.  And I have no particular attraction to Pit bulls, so I would never be looking specifically for a pit bull.  My reason for not getting them is that they seem to upset people and insurance agents and just in general...so, since I don't really have an attraction to them, why not just avoid them?  I've seen many, many sweet natured, silly old Pits and Staffordshire terriers also, but I'm not going around looking for one. What's unfortunate about the pound is that 95% of their dogs seem to be some kind of pit bull. The better breeds are at Southern Oregon Human, but I boycott them on principle. Those people are loopy and over the top.

I've seen many, many sweet natured, silly old Pits and Staffordshire terriers also,

So have I but facts are facts and insurance companies don't base what they do on a dogs undeserved reputation or a stigma against PB's.

I think pits are indeed a dangerous breed. The typical defense PB lovers use is it's not the dog but the owner that makes them aggressive.
My question to those people which has never been answered is this.... Why don't other breeds have these bad owners that teach aggression? Where are all the bad owners of Labradors?

Well, there's certainly something to that argument. But I'm not getting a pit, so it's meaningless to me.  Except I probably have a dog that's part pit! Laughing Blink Embarrassed
(05-09-2019, 04:58 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 03:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: JuniperI meant he wasn't as big as a mastiff could get.  The other breed is keeping him small.  And I have no particular attraction to Pit bulls, so I would never be looking specifically for a pit bull.  My reason for not getting them is that they seem to upset people and insurance agents and just in general...so, since I don't really have an attraction to them, why not just avoid them?  I've seen many, many sweet natured, silly old Pits and Staffordshire terriers also, but I'm not going around looking for one. What's unfortunate about the pound is that 95% of their dogs seem to be some kind of pit bull. The better breeds are at Southern Oregon Human, but I boycott them on principle. Those people are loopy and over the top.

Well, there's certainly something to that argument. But I'm not getting a pit, so it's meaningless to me.  Except I probably have a dog that's part pit! Laughing Blink Embarrassed

But I'm not getting a pit, so it's meaningless to me.  OK but you seemed to say you WOULD get a pit if it were not for the fact that they upset other people and insurance reasons.
(05-09-2019, 05:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:

But I'm not getting a pit, so it's meaningless to me.  OK but you seemed to say you WOULD get a pit if it were not for the fact that they upset other people and insurance reasons.

That's not my primary reason. My primary reason, is that I'm not attracted to the breed. But the second reason is a big part of it. IF I was attracted to the breed, it probably wouldn't deter me as much.
I've had people tell me the same kind of thing about Rotts or Dobies. Now, Dobies, I'm not attracted to, even though they are whip smart and fun and sweet. But give me a Rott, and I'm melted.
I lean more toward a good Beagle. Hard headed and all hound, but I have had more than one and overall my favorite breed. I have also had black labs, cocker spaniels, and mutts that made me cry to lose them. There is a special Heaven for dogs.
(05-09-2019, 05:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 05:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That's not my primary reason. My primary reason, is that I'm not attracted to the breed. But the second reason is a big part of it. IF I was attracted to the breed, it probably wouldn't deter me as much.

I wonder why people are attracted to the breed. But here's my guess. At the beginning it was most the wanna be tough people. People who like the idea of having a threatening dog. The same kind of people who are more likely to be low income and to live in the cheapest area like west Medford.
The same type of people to NOT spay or neuter. So the next thing you know there are PB pups that are easy to be had cheaply or for free.
And that just snow balled and now no one wants all the excess ones which is why the pound has like 80 to 90% PB's.
(05-09-2019, 07:16 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: I lean more toward a good Beagle.  Hard headed and all hound, but I have had more than one and overall my favorite breed.  I have also had black labs, cocker spaniels, and mutts that made me cry to lose them.  There is a special Heaven for dogs.

The smartest most well trained dog I ever had was a mutt. Shepard and lab mix. The dog was literally famous LOL . I had her when I was young and used to go to large parties and the dog would entertain non stop
People used to refer to me as the guy who had that dog.