DIRECTV and local channels
Once again DirecTV and a couple of local channels cannot come to terms and those local channels are blacked out on DTV. This has been going on since late Feb. So today I got fed up and called DTV for some answers. As expected, they blamed NW Broadcasting and NW Broadcasting blames DTV. I don't much care but I reckon both are to blame. What I do care about is that DTV continues to bill the same amount as they did prior to the blackout and that is BS. 

The focus of my phone call was to get a rate reduction that would be retroactive to the beginning of the blackout. After being on hold for a few minutes I was told this: (not verbatim), There can be no rebate because DTV does not charge me for any local channels. They are essentially free. So that was good news to me! I told them to cancel all of the other channels and I'd just keep all of the "free" channels. 

Well apparently I was not understanding them. What they were trying to tell me was that I have to pay to get them but if I want a refund that they owe me nothing because they are free.  Dry Allrighty then.

So DTV has been cancelled at our house. And this is no victory for the local channels because they can kiss my ass, too. 

Stream on!
I've been free OTA for probably or eight or nine years now. I have no complaints.
(05-11-2019, 05:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I've been free OTA for probably or eight or nine years now. I have no complaints.

What's OTA?
(05-11-2019, 05:33 PM)GCG Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 05:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I've been free OTA for probably or eight or nine years now. I have no complaints.

What's OTA?

Over The Air. I made a home made antenna and all I get is the local channels but I'm satisfied.
I 26.3 rocks. Ion TV.
Like USA but free.
5.1, 5.2, 8.1,8.2,8.3,10.1,10.2,10.3,10.4,12.1,12.2,12.3,16.1,18.1,26.1,26.2,26.3,48.1,
(05-11-2019, 05:36 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

What's OTA?

Over The Air. I made a home made antenna and all I get is the local channels but I'm satisfied.

I'm going to try and live on Hulu and Netflix for awhile. I might add an antenna but I am so sick of ad based TV that I'll hold off on that for now.
(05-12-2019, 07:15 AM)GCG Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 05:36 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

What's OTA?

I'm going to try and live on Hulu and Netflix for awhile. I might add an antenna but I am so sick of ad based TV that I'll hold off on that for now.

Big Grin  Yeah, I get that. I remember when cable first arrived with the promise of add free TV. Payed for by subscriptions instead of add revenue. That didn't last long.
All TV and radio is paid for someway. Ads were just in lieu of a tax, as happens in other countries.
Same with internet based entertainment.
For instance, I’d pay a tax to not be subjected to the incessant commercials featuring the Garrison kid, an obvious spawn of the devil.
Actually, ALL the kids in local commercials.
Talking to you, Smokey’s Stoves.
(05-11-2019, 05:15 PM)GCG Wrote: Once again DirecTV and a couple of local channels cannot come to terms and those local channels are blacked out on DTV. This has been going on since late Feb. So today I got fed up and called DTV for some answers. As expected, they blamed NW Broadcasting and NW Broadcasting blames DTV. I don't much care but I reckon both are to blame. What I do care about is that DTV continues to bill the same amount as they did prior to the blackout and that is BS. 

The focus of my phone call was to get a rate reduction that would be retroactive to the beginning of the blackout. After being on hold for a few minutes I was told this: (not verbatim), There can be no rebate because DTV does not charge me for any local channels. They are essentially free. So that was good news to me! I told them to cancel all of the other channels and I'd just keep all of the "free" channels. 

Well apparently I was not understanding them. What they were trying to tell me was that I have to pay to get them but if I want a refund that they owe me nothing because they are free.  Dry  Allrighty then.

So DTV has been cancelled at our house. And this is no victory for the local channels because they can kiss my ass, too. 

Stream on!

So you lost Fox TV? Channel 26 on antenna? What else?
(05-12-2019, 09:58 AM)bbqboy Wrote: All TV and radio is paid for someway. Ads were just in lieu of a tax, as happens in other countries.
For instance, I’d pay a tax to not be subjected to the incessant commercials featuring the Garrison kid, an obvious spawn of the devil.

All TV and radio is paid for someway. 

Well why would anyone broadcast without getting paid.
(05-12-2019, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 09:58 AM)bbqboy Wrote: All TV and radio is paid for someway. Ads were just in lieu of a tax, as happens in other countries.

GCG said he wasn’t going to bother with an over the air antenna to pick up local channels, which is what he originally groused about.
Just thought it odd.
(05-12-2019, 05:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote:

GCG said he wasn’t going to bother with an over the air antenna to pick up local channels, which is what he originally groused about.
Just thought it odd.
I don't mind paying a few bucks for ad free tv. With DTV you pay a lot AND get ads, (as mentioned by Cuzz). And I was not grousing about not getting the local channels as much as I was grousing about paying for them AND not getting them. With DTV I can DVR the programming and watch vitrually ad free. Over the antenna I cannot.
Free or ad free? That is the question.
‘Tis better to have TVed and Lost
Than never to have TVed at all.
That is the question!.
(05-12-2019, 05:50 PM)GCG Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 05:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote:

Just thought it odd.
I don't mind paying a few bucks for ad free tv. With DTV you pay a lot AND get ads, (as mentioned by Cuzz). And I was not grousing about not getting the local channels as much as I was grousing about paying for them AND not getting them. With DTV I can DVR the programming and watch vitrually ad free. Over the antenna I cannot.
I don't mind paying a few bucks for ad free tv. With DTV you pay a lot AND get ads,

You are right we do pay a lot. But with me it is indeed ad free because every single thing I watch is recorded so I fast forward through commercials.

Over the antenna I cannot ....

Remember when everyone had a VHS player  ans you could record anything on your TV? Razz

I have Dish, They started charging $12 i think it was for locals so I hooked up an OTA antenna, get all available locals and then dropped the local programming from dish. I route the OTA angenna through the Dish DVR (it has a tuner) so I still have guide data and can DVR the locals. This is what keeps me from cutting the cord, I am not ready to give up the DVR capability for the locals. Yes, I know there are other options but none of the crap to do so is free, so the $50/mo I pay to Dish is still a good value IMO.
(05-13-2019, 09:20 AM)GPnative Wrote: I have Dish, They started charging $12 i think it was for locals so I hooked up an OTA antenna, get all available locals and then dropped the local programming from dish. I route the OTA angenna through the Dish DVR (it has a tuner) so I still have guide data and can DVR the locals. This is what keeps me from cutting the cord, I am not ready to give up the DVR capability for the locals. Yes, I know there are other options but none of the crap to do so is free, so the $50/mo I pay to Dish is still a good value IMO.

So you pay 50 bucks to get local TV and the ability yo record it and have  guide?
(05-13-2019, 12:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 09:20 AM)GPnative Wrote: I have Dish, They started charging $12 i think it was for locals so I hooked up an OTA antenna, get all available locals and then dropped the local programming from dish. I route the OTA angenna through the Dish DVR (it has a tuner) so I still have guide data and can DVR the locals. This is what keeps me from cutting the cord, I am not ready to give up the DVR capability for the locals. Yes, I know there are other options but none of the crap to do so is free, so the $50/mo I pay to Dish is still a good value IMO.

So you pay 50 bucks to get local TV and the ability yo record it and have  guide?
He pays $50.00 for dish minus the local channels.
(05-13-2019, 01:56 PM)bbqboy Wrote:

Exactly, $50ish covers the cost of the Sat. package I sub to as well as the $7 DVR fee.
(05-13-2019, 02:06 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 01:56 PM)bbqboy Wrote:

Exactly, $50ish covers the cost of the Sat. package I sub to as well as the $7 DVR fee.
 OK that makes more sense. The last time I looked in to getting dish N there were just too many shows the didn't have that I wanted or my wife wanted.
But I spend way too much for what I have with DR TV