Music
(04-29-2019, 09:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 08:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 08:03 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 11:07 AM)bbqboy Wrote: The last thing I want to do these days is be in a crowd of many thousands listening to music I don’t wanna hear.
Let Woodstock die a peaceful death instead of this torment.

I agree.

I don't particular want be in a crowd of many thousands listening to music I  DO want to hear. I don't even like bars, movies or restaurants LOL

Mostly the same, though I enjoy going to the movies.  I would never go to any big concert. Not even someone I really admire and enjoy. It's not worth it. It's cancelled, so it's moot, but I thought the line up was super lame for the new Woodstock.
Having said that....I did go see Neil Young this Thursday, which was a life long bucket list item for me. Not a mega arena so it worked out well.  In fact, we barely had to deal with crowds at all, and the venue people were exceptionally friendly and helpful.  I had handicapped parking/seating so that was a huge help.  And I have to say, I've heard for years and years about Neil's extraordinary sound.  But you know, I kind of shrug that off as fan hyperbole, but it's no joke. Neil's sound quality is extraordinary.  All that analog equipment he's been dragging around with him from show to show for decades...well if it ain't that, it's SOMETHING.  I've NEVER heard anything like that sound and Neil rocks.  This was a smaller venue so he didn't do the really long solos he can and has done and that was sad. I guess he bases the length of these things on the price of the tickets? Who knows?  But Neil did not disappoint, and honestly, I was gobsmacked and that's hard to accomplish with me.  It was all worth the jog up to Eugene and back again in less than 24 hours and if offered to do it again, I'd say yes.
I'm so glad you went and had a wonderful time! I kinda feel like you need to be doing more... getting out... having some fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(04-29-2019, 11:07 AM)bbqboy Wrote: The last thing I want to do these days is be in a crowd of many thousands listening to music I don’t wanna hear.

I agree.

I don't particular want be in a crowd of many thousands listening to music I  DO want to hear. I don't even like bars, movies or restaurants LOL

Mostly the same, though I enjoy going to the movies.  I would never go to any big concert. Not even someone I really admire and enjoy. It's not worth it. It's cancelled, so it's moot, but I thought the line up was super lame for the new Woodstock.

I would never go to any big concert. Not even someone I really admire and enjoy

You mean like Neil Young? Razz Wink

edit.. LOL I said that before I knew you posted anything Smiling
(05-25-2019, 09:17 AM)bbqboy Wrote: https://www.ksdk.com/mobile/article/news...8bc6533eec

A story behind the scenes...
my friends bought Grand Funk’s Home studio equipment from Bob after GFR declared bankruptcy and broke up amid much infighting.
I used to live in the studio.  Smiling

My wife's favo  GFR  I think they were awesome too.
(05-25-2019, 01:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I agree.

It wasn't my idea. It was gift. I was NOT going to say no, and I'm glad I didn't, AND it was a very pleasant surprise in terms of dealing with a public venue. Honestly, the worst part of the experience aside from having to drive up to Eugene was that we arrived in Eugene in rush hour traffic and got stuck in a crawl that lasted quite a long time as we tried to move our way to the outskirts of town where my son lived, only to turn around and go right back. That's because my son had moved to a new place, one I didn't know the location of and had no clue...otherwise, I might have just stayed in downtown and asked him to come to us.
(05-25-2019, 12:04 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm so glad you went and had a wonderful time! I kinda feel like you need to be doing more... getting out... having some fun!

Oh, I don't get out at all. This was highly unusual.
(05-25-2019, 01:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 12:04 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm so glad you went and had a wonderful time! I kinda feel like you need to be doing more... getting out... having some fun!

I was in So Or last Tues-Thurs. If it hadn't been a short trip, I would have loved to meet for a beer (or beverage). We gotta get you out of your comfort zone!  Big Grin
(05-25-2019, 02:03 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 01:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I was in So Or last Tues-Thurs. If it hadn't been a short trip, I would have loved to meet for a beer (or beverage). We gotta get you out of your comfort zone!  Big Grin

I only don't go out because I typically don't have anyone to go out with and limited mobility and funds. I never did find a job to replace the one I left in January.  Everything just went south, with extreme pain issues, losing mobility, mystery malaise and no real social circle and nothing to replace that income. So, the Neil concert was a surprise and a combo mothers day/birthday gift from my son.  It would have been cooler to spend more time, but he had to work Friday, and my daughter drove up with me and she has to work also so, it was up and back.  I'm at place in life where I went from being OK to having health issues and no discretionary funds for anything.  Life just went in not very good direction, which sucked because I was really feeling optimistic about things. That's the first sign right there. Feeling optimistic. Bad news. Laughing
(05-25-2019, 01:16 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 08:03 PM)Juniper Wrote: I agree.

It wasn't my idea. It was gift. I was NOT going to say no, and I'm glad I didn't, AND it was a very pleasant surprise in terms of dealing with a public venue. Honestly, the worst part of the experience aside from having to drive up to Eugene was that we arrived in Eugene in rush hour traffic and got stuck in a crawl that lasted quite a long time as we tried to move our way to the outskirts of town where my son lived, only to turn around and go right back. That's because my son had moved to a new place, one I didn't know the location of and had no clue...otherwise, I might have just stayed in downtown and asked him to come to us.

Too funny. My wife and I went to Eugene once with another couple, each of us drove our own cars. And they got stoned on the way there and got lost. And came to the show late Laughing Laughing
The same couple got stoned on the way to meet us up at Howard Prairie and drove past it for an hour Razz

So did any of Neils performance lack due to his age?
(05-25-2019, 02:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 08:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:  I don't particular want be in a crowd of many thousands listening to music I  DO want to hear. I don't even like bars, movies or restaurants LOL

Too funny. My wife and I went to Eugene once with another couple, each of us drove our own cars. And they got stoned on the way there and got lost. And came to the show late Laughing Laughing
The same couple got stoned on the way to meet us up at Howard Prairie and drove past it for an hour Razz

I don't think they did.  I felt like he wasn't doing the long solos he's been known to do. He does really nice long ones. He did Cortez the Killer which I love but didn't do the best rendition.  I was hoping for those famously long solos...but they were short.  I really feel like that was the venue deal somehow.  Like if I had higher dollar tickets for a more expensive venue we would have gotten more 'show'.  But I saw no indication that his age was a factor in the quality of the show. Regardless, I was truly blown away and didn't expect to be. If the opportunity was avaiable to me, I'd love to see him again.  He's supposed to go on tour with Crazy Horse soon.  That will be mostly likely be a high end show. This band was with Promise of the Real.  He changes his repetoires depending on who he's playing with. Two of the players in POR are Willie Nelson's sons, so it was twinged with a bit of Willie nostalgia, which isn't really my thing.  So, as in anything, there were some selections I didn't like or could have done without.  Neil just does his thing. He's too old to do any romping around and drinks water out of a mason jar onstage rather than say a beer or whiskey like the old days.
(05-25-2019, 02:25 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 09:29 PM)Juniper Wrote: Mostly the same, though I enjoy going to the movies.  I would never go to any big concert. Not even someone I really admire and enjoy. It's not worth it. It's cancelled, so it's moot, but I thought the line up was super lame for the new Woodstock.

I don't think they did.  I felt like he wasn't doing the long solos he's been known to do. He does really nice long ones. He did Cortez the Killer which I love but didn't do the best rendition.  I was hoping for those famously long solos...but they were short.  I really feel like that was the venue deal somehow.  Like if I had higher dollar tickets for a more expensive venue we would have gotten more 'show'.  But I saw no indication that his age was a factor in the quality of the show. Regardless, I was truly blown away and didn't expect to be. If the opportunity was avaiable to me, I'd love to see him again.  He's supposed to go on tour with Crazy Horse soon.  That will be mostly likely be a high end show. This band was with Promise of the Real.  He changes his repetoires depending on who he's playing with. Two of the players in POR are Willie Nelson's sons, so it was twinged with a bit of Willie nostalgia, which isn't really my thing.  So, as in anything, there were some selections I didn't like or could have done without.  Neil just does his thing. He's too old to do any romping around and drinks water out of a mason jar onstage rather than say a beer or whiskey like the old days.
He did Cortez the Killer which I love but didn't do the best rendition

I just watched the same on Youtube Cortez the Killer/cinnamon girl video at the same show you were at.
The first 30 some seconds he was tuning his guitar and it was REALLY slow and when he sang he was way off key.
I have no doubt he got a lot better as the show went on. I have ALWAYS been a huge Neil Young fan ever since a junkie In San Deigo  taught me how to play most of the songs on the Harvest album in about 1972.

I went to see Johnny Winter when he was old and frail and could barely walk on stage. He was so slow to warm up people actually left.
IMO they probably never were a fan in the first place, just posers. After a while when the drugs licked in or whatever he was playing the same incredible blues he always played. He actually brought tears to my eyes when he played riffs and tines I had not heard over 30 years.

How do you know it was water in that jar? Razz
I’m glad you finally got to see Neil!
As far as GFR, I was never a fan and they were part of my worst acid trip ever, when Pink Floyd canceled because their equipment got stolen the night before in New Orleans. So we ended up see Bloodrock and GFR. Sad
The Locomotion and We’re An American Band were recorded on the equipment my friends bought.
(05-25-2019, 03:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I just watched the same on Youtube Cortez the Killer/cinnamon girl video at the same show you were at.
The first 30 some seconds he was tuning his guitar and it was REALLY slow and when he sang he was way off key.
I have no doubt he got a lot better as the show went on. I have ALWAYS been a huge Neil Young fan ever since a junkie In San Deigo  taught me how to play most of the songs on the Harvest album in about 1972.

I went to see Johnny Winter when he was old and frail and could barely walk on stage. He was so slow to warm up people actually left.
IMO they probably never were a fan in the first place, just posers. After a while when the drugs licked in or whatever he was playing the same incredible blues he always played. He actually brought tears to my eyes when he played riffs and tines I had not heard over 30 years.

I don't know....but likely it was. He kept talking about water. These old rockers stay in the game by changing their ways and straightening up. He changed songs and had to tune the guitar but as soon as he started the tuning, I knew what song it would be. Neil's voice has never been his strength. All the aging rockers are losing their vocal quality. He had a prompter for the songs.  I have to say it again though...these videos you see online don't give the experience of  hearing it from his system live. I've never experienced anything like it. It was jaw dropping.  My kids are not huge Neil  fans...but they've grown up with his music and they both were blown away also. They didn't expect to be.

I gotta say though, if it had been a different experience in terms of the venue, I would have hated it. I don't like crowds or assholes.
(05-25-2019, 04:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 01:16 PM)Juniper Wrote: It wasn't my idea. It was gift. I was NOT going to say no, and I'm glad I didn't, AND it was a very pleasant surprise in terms of dealing with a public venue. Honestly, the worst part of the experience aside from having to drive up to Eugene was that we arrived in Eugene in rush hour traffic and got stuck in a crawl that lasted quite a long time as we tried to move our way to the outskirts of town where my son lived, only to turn around and go right back. That's because my son had moved to a new place, one I didn't know the location of and had no clue...otherwise, I might have just stayed in downtown and asked him to come to us.

I don't know....but likely it was. He kept talking about water. These old rockers stay in the game by changing their ways and straightening up. He changed songs and had to tune the guitar but as soon as he started the tuning, I knew what song it would be. Neil's voice has never been his strength. All the aging rockers are losing their vocal quality. He had a prompter for the songs.  I have to say it again though...these videos you see online don't give the experience of  hearing it from his system live. I've never experienced anything like it. It was jaw dropping.  My kids are not huge Neil  fans...but they've grown up with his music and they both were blown away also. They didn't expect to be.

I gotta say though, if it had been a different experience in terms of the venue, I would have hated it. I don't like crowds or assholes.
Neil's voice has never been his strength.
Oh I disagree. His voice is very unique and IMO that was what attracted Crosby and Stills to have him join them. It's like his voice was made just for them. His biggest strength may be his prolific song writing ability. Or maybe to me his acoustic guitar playing style along with his voice.

All the aging rockers are losing their vocal quality

Of course but some more than others. As much as I loved Eric Burdon His voice went south so bad that I would have not gone to see him for free.
So I just wondered about Neil.
(05-25-2019, 04:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 02:15 PM)tvguy Wrote: Too funny. My wife and I went to Eugene once with another couple, each of us drove our own cars. And they got stoned on the way there and got lost. And came to the show late Laughing Laughing

Oh I disagree. His voice is very unique and IMO that was what attracted Crosby and Stills to have him join them. It's like his voice was made just for them. His biggest strength may be his prolific song writing ability. Or maybe to me his acoustic guitar playing style along with his voice.

Of course but some more than others. As much as I loved Eric Burdon His voice went south so bad that I would have not gone to see him for free.

I love Neil's voice. I think it adds a very specific quality to his own very unique songs. But you are wrong. That's not why he joined CSNY.  He joined CSNY because CSN was going on tour.  CSN's one really good musician was Stills.  He was doing most of the complex musical stuff for the band. Crosby was rhythm guitar. Nash was mostly the high vocalist. CSN needed a good instrumentalist to join them on their tour.  Stills knew Neil from their Buffalo Springfield days, and suggested him. That's why he joined them.  As soon as he did he changed everything about them because his style was so strong. Some feel to their detriment. But not me. People forget he was at Woodstock.  He didn't want the filmographers to film him, so he's barely in the footage. Neil being the old curmudgeon he was and is was kicking them if they got too near him.
(05-25-2019, 04:54 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 02:25 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't think they did.  I felt like he wasn't doing the long solos he's been known to do. He does really nice long ones. He did Cortez the Killer which I love but didn't do the best rendition.  I was hoping for those famously long solos...but they were short.  I really feel like that was the venue deal somehow.  Like if I had higher dollar tickets for a more expensive venue we would have gotten more 'show'.  But I saw no indication that his age was a factor in the quality of the show. Regardless, I was truly blown away and didn't expect to be. If the opportunity was avaiable to me, I'd love to see him again.  He's supposed to go on tour with Crazy Horse soon.  That will be mostly likely be a high end show. This band was with Promise of the Real.  He changes his repetoires depending on who he's playing with. Two of the players in POR are Willie Nelson's sons, so it was twinged with a bit of Willie nostalgia, which isn't really my thing.  So, as in anything, there were some selections I didn't like or could have done without.  Neil just does his thing. He's too old to do any romping around and drinks water out of a mason jar onstage rather than say a beer or whiskey like the old days.

I love Neil's voice. I think it adds a very specific quality to his own very unique songs. But you are wrong. That's not why he joined CSNY.  He joined CSNY because CSN was going on tour.  CSN's one really good musician was Stills.  He was doing most of the complex musical stuff for the band. Crosby was rhythm guitar. Nash was mostly the high vocalist. CSN needed a good instrumentalist to join them on their tour.  Stills knew Neil from their Buffalo Springfield days, and suggested him. That's why he joined them.  As soon as he did he changed everything about them because his style was so strong. Some feel to their detriment. But not me. People forget he was at Woodstock.  He didn't want the filmographers to film him, so he's barely in the footage. Neil being the old curmudgeon he was and is was kicking them if they got too near him.
I love Neil's voice.
IMO so did everyone including Crosby Still and Nash. Yes there were looking for someone and someone with talent playing guitar like that had with Stills.
But I clearly remember Crosby and Nash talking about the first time they played with Neil that they knew INSTANTLY he was going to be in their band.
I get they were not looking for a voice but Neils voice fit in and harmonized beautifully and they knew it right off the bat.
(05-25-2019, 05:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 03:17 PM)tvguy Wrote: He did Cortez the Killer which I love but didn't do the best rendition

I love Neil's voice.
IMO so did everyone including Crosby Still and Nash. Yes there were looking for someone and someone with talent playing guitar like that had with Stills.
But I clearly remember Crosby and Nash talking about the first time they played with Neil that they knew INSTANTLY he was going to be in their band.
I get they were not looking for a voice but Neils voice fit in and harmonized beautifully and they knew it right off the bat.
He could harmonize with them, yes. But truth be told, Neil's voice is the worst of the 4. You say he was off key Cortez. He often is. His singing voice is not strong. It just is a great fit for his songs and the right pitch to fit with what they were doing. I honestly believe it's because his voice is fragile and often barely able to hit the range he is singing in that makes his voice perfect for his songs and music. I know a lot of people though, who will say they can't listen to Neil BECAUSE of his voice.
(05-25-2019, 05:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 04:15 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know....but likely it was. He kept talking about water. These old rockers stay in the game by changing their ways and straightening up. He changed songs and had to tune the guitar but as soon as he started the tuning, I knew what song it would be. Neil's voice has never been his strength. All the aging rockers are losing their vocal quality. He had a prompter for the songs.  I have to say it again though...these videos you see online don't give the experience of  hearing it from his system live. I've never experienced anything like it. It was jaw dropping.  My kids are not huge Neil  fans...but they've grown up with his music and they both were blown away also. They didn't expect to be.

I love Neil's voice.
He could harmonize with them, yes. But truth be told, Neil's voice is the worst of the 4. You say he was off key Cortez. He often is. His singing voice is not strong. It just is a great fit for his songs and the right pitch to fit with what they were doing. I honestly believe it's because his voice is fragile and often barely able to hit the range he is singing in that makes his voice perfect for his songs and music. I know a lot of people though, who will say they can't listen to Neil BECAUSE of his voice.

It just is a great fit for his songs and the right pitch to fit with what they were doing

Well that's exactly what I'm saying and I remember some old video where Crosby and Nash said exactly that. I can't find it though.

I know a lot of people though, who will say they can't listen to Neil BECAUSE of his voice.

You can find a "lot of people" that think just about anything. And even if a lot didn't like his voice obviously a lot did. I still believe his unique voice may have been his best asset as far as his rise to popularity.
For me I think it was his clever ways to play an acoustic guitar.
(05-25-2019, 05:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 04:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: Neil's voice has never been his strength.

I love Neil's voice.

It just is a great fit for his songs and the right pitch to fit with what they were doing

Well that's exactly what I'm saying and I remember some old video where Crosby and Nash said exactly that. I can't find it though.

I know a lot of people though, who will say they can't listen to Neil BECAUSE of his voice.

You can find a "lot of people" that think just about anything. And even if a lot didn't like his voice obviously a lot did. I still believe his unique voice may have been his best asset as far as his rise to popularity.

I don't agree with you on the voice business although I love his voice. Neil does tours that are entirely acoustic and without a band, but often with guest stars like Willie or Emmy Lou Harris or just whoever and does his old acoustic classics and others. But honestly as much as I love some of his acoustic I think I love his electric more.  If I had thought this show was just going to be songs off the Harvest album, I would have hestitated to go. It kind of drives me a little batty that he sings Heart of Gold and After the Gold Rush at every concert. I feel like it's precious time that could go to another song. He has a huge repetoire of other songs to choose from. But these two are de riguer. He did play Winterlong which is rather rare to perform and which is acoustic and I love it.  At any rate, this was a lifetime high moment for me. Neil is my number 1 favorite artist. I love his music so much and I didn't think I'd ever get to see him. I hope maybe something cool will happen and I'll get one one more chance, but I wouldn't do it if it was going to be what I felt was a very stressful, crowded and unpleasant kind of venue. This was unexpectedly pleasant as far as the venue, and while I know this wasn't the finest Neil performances he's ever done, it was the finest music experience I've ever had bar none. It really surprassed my expectations. I would say that for me, it was sublime.
(05-25-2019, 05:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 04:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: Neil's voice has never been his strength.

I love Neil's voice.

What I remember about Graham Nash's opinion on Neil was that he wasn't really sure about having Neil in the group at all, but was won over after meeting with him for breakfast. He also said that the effect of having Neil in the group was like lobbing a hand grenade into a vacuum.