Here comes summer
(05-29-2019, 03:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 02:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 01:34 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 01:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: The AC in the wife's Honda was blowing warm air so I spent 40 bucks on a recharge kit and it didn't work Sad Sad

I did the same for my Subaru last year and it worked great.

Sounds like a terminal size leak or mechanical issue, i.e. compressor, evap, etc. Either way, get ready to spend some $$. Unless you get lucky like I did last year, thanks to an obscure posting on an old forum when researching my issue, Discovered there was a little AC relay on my car prone to failure, found the $5 part at Autozone, swapped it out and I was good to go.
 Yeah I will take it to my guy in CP ...Automotion. I think they are honest.

I took my van there last year and had the AC and a window fixed, It was 400 bucks total Confused  And now the AC works, blows cold air like it should. But for some reason it keeps changing from floor to defrost over and over , damn it.
Yeah, I think my car is too old for a recharge without an exorbitant amount of money. At first the mechanic quoted me a very cheap price then, walked that back to the old expensive stuff.

If you car is old enough to be an R-12 system, it can easily be converted to R134a. Then recharge yourself for cheap. Any non dealer shop can convert it. Not much to it.
(05-29-2019, 06:19 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 01:34 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 01:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: The AC in the wife's Honda was blowing warm air so I spent 40 bucks on a recharge kit and it didn't work Sad Sad

I did the same for my Subaru last year and it worked great.

Sounds like a terminal size leak or mechanical issue, i.e. compressor, evap, etc. Either way, get ready to spend some $$. Unless you get lucky like I did last year, thanks to an obscure posting on an old forum when researching my issue, Discovered there was a little AC relay on my car prone to failure, found the $5 part at Autozone, swapped it out and I was good to go.

I took my van there last year and had the AC and a window fixed, It was 400 bucks total Confused  And now the AC works, blows cold air like it should. But for some reason it keeps changing from floor to defrost over and over , damn it.
Yeah, I think my car is too old for a recharge without an exorbitant amount of money. At first the mechanic quoted me a very cheap price then, walked that back to the old expensive stuff.

If you car is old enough to be an R-12 system, it can easily be converted to R134a. Then recharge yourself for cheap. Any non dealer shop can convert it. Not much to it.

This doesn't sound easy or cheap to me. I took an older Dodge van to an AC guy and he told me it would be $400 plus because my refrigerant was R12.
I see lots of conflicting info about this on the internet. I can't find one single comment about what someone actually paid to have a conversion from R12 to R134a.
Some people just say fill it with 134a and you are done. I don't believe that.

Also Junipers AC doesn't work for a reason. First that has to be determined I guess.  Anyway Juniper.. just call some shops tomorrow and ask.

[Image: AC-conversion.jpg]
(05-29-2019, 07:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 01:34 PM)GPnative Wrote: Sounds like a terminal size leak or mechanical issue, i.e. compressor, evap, etc. Either way, get ready to spend some $$. Unless you get lucky like I did last year, thanks to an obscure posting on an old forum when researching my issue, Discovered there was a little AC relay on my car prone to failure, found the $5 part at Autozone, swapped it out and I was good to go.

This doesn't sound easy or cheap to me. I took an older Dodge van to an AC guy and he told me it would be $400 plus because my refrigerant was R12.
I see lots of conflicting info about this on the internet. I can't find one single comment about what someone actually paid to have a conversion from R12 to R134a.

Also Junipers AC doesn't work for a reason. First that has to be determined I guess.  Anyway Juniper.. just call some shops tomorrow and ask.

On older cars not worth the money to do it by the book. You can replace the high/low fittings and be done with it. Did this to one of ours at least 13 years ago, been fine ever since, just needs a yearly top off, but it had that issue pre-conversion, thats why i did it. The leak fix is not worth the $ or effort, whole dash needs to come out. Id rather just buy the can of r134 every year. Of course this is just my experience, but was worth the gamble, worse that could happen was end up with a non working system, and i already had that. So now i get to drive it every summer in cool bliss.
(05-29-2019, 01:34 PM)GPnative Wrote: Sounds like a terminal size leak or mechanical issue, i.e. compressor, evap, etc. Either way, get ready to spend some $$. Unless you get lucky like I did last year, thanks to an obscure posting on an old forum when researching my issue, Discovered there was a little AC relay on my car prone to failure, found the $5 part at Autozone, swapped it out and I was good to go.

I did the conversion myself several years ago on a '90 F-150.  Can't remember the cost of the "kit" I got from the auto parts store, but it wasn't much. Wasn't all that difficult.
(05-29-2019, 08:04 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 02:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Yeah I will take it to my guy in CP ...Automotion. I think they are honest.

On older cars not worth the money to do it by the book. You can replace the high/low fittings and be done with it. Did this to one of ours at least 13 years ago, been fine ever since, just needs a yearly top off, but it had that issue pre-conversion, thats why i did it. The leak fix is not worth the $ or effort, whole dash needs to come out. Id rather just buy the can of r134 every year. Of course this is just my experience, but was worth the gamble, worse that could happen was end up with a non working system, and i already had that. So now i get to drive it every summer in cool bliss.
Yep I found out that on cars somewhere between 78 and 92 that  you can just add 134a and change the fitting on the low side.
It's a temporary fix and gamble I suppose but worth a try.

This is what a mechanic told me.... If your system holds a vacuum there are 134a fittings that screw onto the high and low shrader valves. You can charge your r12 system and itll last about a year and then you'll have to recharge. Could be longer depending how sealed your system is. I do this with my truck. Otherwise your looking at well into the thousand range to retro fit.

Our shop charges 80 an hour. Thats pretty low and still you're looking at quite a few hours plus parts. 1000+
(05-30-2019, 09:06 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 02:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Yeah I will take it to my guy in CP ...Automotion. I think they are honest.

I did the conversion myself several years ago on a '90 F-150.  Can't remember the cost of the "kit" I got from the auto parts store, but it wasn't much. Wasn't all that difficult.

Good to know , thanks.
Mad Triple digits on Tuesday!  Mad
(06-08-2019, 10:31 AM)GCG Wrote: Mad Triple digits on Tuesday!  Mad

And if so it will set a record for June. I think.
(06-08-2019, 11:52 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 10:31 AM)GCG Wrote: Mad Triple digits on Tuesday!  Mad

And if so it will set a record for June. I think.

I typically love June because it is usually misty and cool. But sometimes there will be hot weeks mixed in.  Hopefully we will get one or two more cooler ones before the blast oven turns on.