Pet Peeves
Anyway, TV, the (read the above post) reason I have the messenger app is that my phone, (maybe I don't understand it, or maybe it's just my cheap-o phone) only allows me to have one texting app.  Since I have friends I communicate with but actually don't even have their actual phone numbers, that's a way for me to stay in touch with them.  But, as I said above, more importantly, the messenger should not be being used for chains.  It's friggin annoying. I mentioned this to someone much younger than me, who probably uses the internet and apps and things much more than I do, and he agreed that he hates it also. I just think it's bad manners/etiquette.  I might say that's just old me talking but young guy said he hated it too...so I figured it wasn't just me.
(06-06-2019, 03:31 PM)Juniper Wrote: Anyway, TV, the (read the above post) reason I have the messenger app is that my phone, (maybe I don't understand it, or maybe it's just my cheap-o phone) only allows me to have one texting app.  Since I have friends I communicate with but actually don't even have their actual phone numbers, that's a way for me to stay in touch with them.  But, as I said above, more importantly, the messenger should not be being used for chains.  It's friggin annoying. I mentioned this to someone much younger than me, who probably uses the internet and apps and things much more than I do, and he agreed that he hates it also. I just think it's bad manners/etiquette.  I might say that's just old me talking but young guy said he hated it too...so I figured it wasn't just me.

Yes I don't see why anyone would go to the trouble of sending me chain letter type crap. So far no one has.

Anyway I see your point in having the app even though I don't know what it does that the regular message part of FB does on my PC OR my phone.
I talk to my grandson on FB because he doesn't always have a phone.. No problem
(06-06-2019, 04:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 03:31 PM)Juniper Wrote: Anyway, TV, the (read the above post) reason I have the messenger app is that my phone, (maybe I don't understand it, or maybe it's just my cheap-o phone) only allows me to have one texting app.  Since I have friends I communicate with but actually don't even have their actual phone numbers, that's a way for me to stay in touch with them.  But, as I said above, more importantly, the messenger should not be being used for chains.  It's friggin annoying. I mentioned this to someone much younger than me, who probably uses the internet and apps and things much more than I do, and he agreed that he hates it also. I just think it's bad manners/etiquette.  I might say that's just old me talking but young guy said he hated it too...so I figured it wasn't just me.

Yes I don't see why anyone would go to the trouble of sending me chain letter type crap. So far no one has.

Anyway I see your point in having the app even though I don't know what it does that the regular message part of FB does on my PC OR my phone.
I talk to my grandson on FB because he doesn't always have a phone.. No problem

It's just the messenger app. That's all. When I got the phone, to text I had to choose what app I would use. I choose to use the messenger app, it is my only form of text for the phone. I can choose another text 'app' or whatever it's called but then I don't get the FB messages. I would only see them on my computer. I chose the FB messenger app because it was more inclusive and met my needs better.
Sometimes you are 'friends' with someone on FB for very vague reasons. For instance, once I wanted to get some plants from a woman on FB. To message with her, I had to friend her. Then she was just there in my friend queue. I removed her after she kept sending me chain messages. I have another "friend" who I don't even know why we are friends, but probably the same sort of reason. We needed to 'friend' in order to pm about something. He was the one I said please don't chain message me to. He seemed offended. Oh well. Be offended. I could just take him off friends also. I have other friends from certain groups who I share interests with and I can follow them. Some have great posts just on their pages so I like seeing them and keep them as personal friends. It's all kinds of levels. I probably should go and clean that friend list up but many are just friends because of mutual interests, so I don't know if it's worth it or not.
I send and receive messenger messages to people not on my friends list
Rosemary Harrington for instance. I spar with her at times.
(06-06-2019, 01:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 12:04 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 10:48 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 10:17 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 10:01 AM)Juniper Wrote: It would be problem solved, except I like social media and use it a lot. Especially after this place died.

We're dead??   Blink 

Seems like I'm always the last to know!   Mad Laughing

Well, much as I enjoy your company, this place is a bit on the slow side for conversation and debate. Smiling

Perhaps you're right. Most days though it about satisfies my needs for social interaction. Different strokes I guess.

Most days though it about satisfies my needs for social interaction

OK then I guess 5 minutes is all you need. Or less. Some days there is nothing here whatsoever. Except SFL and that's nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Some days 5 minutes seems excessive. 

Razz Laughing
(06-06-2019, 05:57 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I send and receive  messenger messages to people not on my friends list

I haven't figured out how it works....because for lots of people you can't message unless they've received you as a friend. In fact when I finally figured that out, I realized that there were lots of messages in my pm box that I had never seen, because I hadn't accepted those people. They hadn't sent me a friend request, so I didn't know they had messaged me.  Some of them were years old and I wish I had seen them in real time because at the time, some were important. I'm not sure exactly how it works if you are able to message people without being accepted?
I’m not either. I never look at my settings. Maybe I should
Smiling
(06-07-2019, 05:29 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I’m not either. I never look at my settings. Maybe I should
Smiling

I'm thinking you're set up so even Putin could could PM you.
(06-06-2019, 08:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 05:57 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I send and receive  messenger messages to people not on my friends list

I haven't figured out how it works....because for lots of people you can't message unless they've received you as a friend. In fact when I finally figured that out, I realized that there were lots of messages in my pm box that I had never seen, because I hadn't accepted those people. They hadn't sent me a friend request, so I didn't know they had messaged me.  Some of them were years old and I wish I had seen them in real time because at the time, some were important. I'm not sure exactly how it works if you are able to message people without being accepted?
because for lots of people you can't message unless they've received you as a friend.

You can send anyone on FB a message through FB even if they aren't a friend. They get a notification that you have messaged them IF they bother to look.Then they can choose to view the message or not. There is a "message request list"

I have about 4 people who are friends and I don't even know how that happened LOL.
(06-07-2019, 12:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:

because for lots of people you can't message unless they've received you as a friend.

You can send anyone on FB a message through FB even if they aren't a friend. They get a notification that you have messaged them IF they bother to look.Then they can choose to view the message or not. There is a "message request list"

I have about 4 people who are friends and I don't even know how that happened LOL.

Yeah, I don't know about that. I don't always see the message requests...but still, you have to accept it to read it. I have no idea how many friends I have...I know it's a lot, but it doesn't mean anything. they aren't real friends for the most part. But once I learned that, I'm pretty good about actually checking message requests and looking at those icons.
(06-07-2019, 12:35 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yeah, I don't know about that. I don't always see the message requests...but still, you have to accept it to read it. I have no idea how many friends I have...I know it's a lot, but it doesn't mean anything. they aren't real friends for the most part. But once I learned that, I'm pretty good about actually checking message requests and looking at those icons.

You have 169 friends... I have 69 LOL . I don't see how people who have so many friends can handle all the notifications when they all post something. I mean some people gave like 400 friends.
I have unfollowed a lot of my "friends" because I don't care about what they are saying or doing with their friends.
(06-07-2019, 02:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You have 169 friends... I have 69 LOL . I don't see how people who have so many friends can handle all the notifications when they all post something. I mean some people gave like 400 friends.
I have unfollowed a lot of my "friends" because I don't care about what they are saying or doing with their friends.

Well, you set your notification levels. I don't get notificaitons from all those people and follow very few of them.  Even with notification levels set I still miss stuff.  I am suspicious of how FB does all that. I get very few personal notifications even from people I follow. For instance, my kids, let's say.  I see stuff they post but not all of it. Even though I'm following them I don't see all their stuff. I know that, because when I look directly at their pages I see loads of posts they have made that I never got a notificaiton on. Same with groups I've set to be notified by.  I think FB still uses it's little algorythyms regardless of what I say or do. You yourself seem to see more of my stuff than, say I do of yours.
(06-07-2019, 06:36 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 08:07 PM)Juniper Wrote: I haven't figured out how it works....because for lots of people you can't message unless they've received you as a friend. In fact when I finally figured that out, I realized that there were lots of messages in my pm box that I had never seen, because I hadn't accepted those people. They hadn't sent me a friend request, so I didn't know they had messaged me.  Some of them were years old and I wish I had seen them in real time because at the time, some were important. I'm not sure exactly how it works if you are able to message people without being accepted?

Well, you set your notification levels. I don't get notificaitons from all those people and follow very few of them.  Even with notification levels set I still miss stuff.  I am suspicious of how FB does all that. I get very few personal notifications even from people I follow. For instance, my kids, let's say.  I see stuff they post but not all of it. Even though I'm following them I don't see all their stuff. I know that, because when I look directly at their pages I see loads of posts they have made that I never got a notificaiton on. Same with groups I've set to be notified by.  I think FB still uses it's little algorythyms regardless of what I say or do. You yourself seem to see more of my stuff than, say I do of yours.

here is how my notifications are set..... I know nothing

[Image: notifications.jpg]
(06-07-2019, 06:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 12:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: because for lots of people you can't message unless they've received you as a friend.

You have to individualize. There's a notification tab on each group or person and you can customize that.
(06-07-2019, 07:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 12:35 PM)Juniper Wrote: Yeah, I don't know about that. I don't always see the message requests...but still, you have to accept it to read it. I have no idea how many friends I have...I know it's a lot, but it doesn't mean anything. they aren't real friends for the most part. But once I learned that, I'm pretty good about actually checking message requests and looking at those icons.

You have to individualize. There's a notification tab on each group or person and you can customize that.

I've never even seen that until you mentioned it. It's OK the way it is.
(06-07-2019, 07:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 02:15 PM)tvguy Wrote: You have 169 friends... I have 69 LOL . I don't see how people who have so many friends can handle all the notifications when they all post something. I mean some people gave like 400 friends.

I do it because I'm in so many groups with so many different acquaintances, and it was frustrating and I couldn't understand why I didn't hear from ones I cared about, but got notifications from ones that I was only minimimally interested. Seems to help. A little.
(06-07-2019, 08:11 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 07:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 06:36 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, you set your notification levels. I don't get notificaitons from all those people and follow very few of them.  Even with notification levels set I still miss stuff.  I am suspicious of how FB does all that. I get very few personal notifications even from people I follow. For instance, my kids, let's say.  I see stuff they post but not all of it. Even though I'm following them I don't see all their stuff. I know that, because when I look directly at their pages I see loads of posts they have made that I never got a notificaiton on. Same with groups I've set to be notified by.  I think FB still uses it's little algorythyms regardless of what I say or do. You yourself seem to see more of my stuff than, say I do of yours.

I do it because I'm in so many groups with so many different acquaintances, and it was frustrating and I couldn't understand why I didn't hear from ones I cared about, but got notifications from ones that I was only minimimally interested. Seems to help. A little.
I just unfollow anyone who's posts I don't want to see. And as far as I know I see every post all the others make. Unless of course they are in a closed group.
Beats me.
Putin messaged me this morning!
(06-08-2019, 05:58 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Putin messaged me this morning!

Da?