What's in your garden?
(06-03-2019, 04:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 12:59 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 09:13 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 06:18 PM)GPnative Wrote: forum Experts, i am going to grow a hemp plant. Yes,hemp, not marijuana. I picked up a small female start, i was told i would need a 40 gallon container at least. However, i am not looking to grow some award winning maximized plant, this is just for fun. If i keep it in say a 10 gal container, will that keep the plant smaller without negatively impacting the plant health? I really dont want a huge plant visible to neighbors, id like to keep it on the smaller side.

Yup, I'm quoting myself. Since it's the continuation of my little hemp experiment.

Sthempy (yes, we named it) seems to be growing in size by the day. I have it in a 2 gallon pot right now, and it is a foot tall already, but considering it was only 2" at the most less than a month ago when I potted it, the sun/heat has really turned on the growth. At this rate I think the idea of keeping it small and incognito is out the window.

I did buy a couple of the 45 gal. fiber containers from that CL ad. Will transfer it to that when I have time to get a load of soil.

growing hemp ???
for seed or for the fiber ?

Earlier he said.. "just for fun"

Well for fun, he wants the high THC type plant.
No fun smoking hemp.
Laughing
(06-03-2019, 05:26 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 04:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 12:59 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 09:13 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 06:18 PM)GPnative Wrote: forum Experts, i am going to grow a hemp plant. Yes,hemp, not marijuana. I picked up a small female start, i was told i would need a 40 gallon container at least. However, i am not looking to grow some award winning maximized plant, this is just for fun. If i keep it in say a 10 gal container, will that keep the plant smaller without negatively impacting the plant health? I really dont want a huge plant visible to neighbors, id like to keep it on the smaller side.

Yup, I'm quoting myself. Since it's the continuation of my little hemp experiment.

Sthempy (yes, we named it) seems to be growing in size by the day. I have it in a 2 gallon pot right now, and it is a foot tall already, but considering it was only 2" at the most less than a month ago when I potted it, the sun/heat has really turned on the growth. At this rate I think the idea of keeping it small and incognito is out the window.

I did buy a couple of the 45 gal. fiber containers from that CL ad. Will transfer it to that when I have time to get a load of soil.

growing hemp ???
for seed or for the fiber ?

Earlier he said.. "just for fun"

Well for fun, he wants the high THC type plant.
No fun smoking hemp.
Laughing

W/out the THC it may not be "fun" in that sense of the word, but it certainly has medicinal properties. We will likely make some topical oils with it, perhaps some tea, and the occasional puff.
(06-03-2019, 05:25 PM)chuck white Wrote: I heard, plant them by June 7.
Awesome Big Grin
So, I actually never realized this...I know it didn't use to be so, but things have changed apparently, and it's darn hard to buy flower seeds around these parts! Vegetable seeds? No problem. Racks upon racks of them, but flower seeds seem too old fashioned to bother with or something. Other than a couple of old standards. Some stores barely even care two or three varieties of flower seeds.
(06-08-2019, 01:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, I actually never realized this...I know it didn't use to be so, but things have changed apparently, and it's darn hard to buy flower seeds around these parts!  Vegetable seeds? No problem. Racks upon racks of them, but flower seeds seem too old fashioned to bother with or something. Other than a couple of old standards.  Some stores barely even care two or three varieties of flower seeds.

If something doesn't see the stores stop ordering it. Especially now with computers.

My son and I went in to a Little pantry store. He likes Miller genuine draft beer. They didn't have ANY Miller beer. I thought that was very odd for a national brand.
The guy at the counter just said.. It wasn't selling so they stopped ordering it.

Have you tried the Grange Co-op? Or Coastal?
(06-08-2019, 01:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 01:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, I actually never realized this...I know it didn't use to be so, but things have changed apparently, and it's darn hard to buy flower seeds around these parts!  Vegetable seeds? No problem. Racks upon racks of them, but flower seeds seem too old fashioned to bother with or something. Other than a couple of old standards.  Some stores barely even care two or three varieties of flower seeds.

If something doesn't see the stores stop ordering it. Especially now with computers.

My son and I went in to a Little pantry store. He likes Miller genuine draft beer. They didn't have ANY Miller beer. I thought that was very odd for a national brand.
The guy at the counter just said.. It wasn't selling so they stopped ordering it.

Have you tried the Grange Co-op? Or Coastal?

Well, I figured the flower seeds aren't selling and the veggie ones are. I just didn't know it would be so hard. I went to Lowes first because it was close and after all, it has a "Garden Center".  Nope. Take a much longer drive off to The Grange which did, and the weird old fashioned ones I wanted. It's just one of those things that you don't realize is gone till it's gone.  In the beer department, I'm proper f*cked because I happen to like malty beers and those aren't what sells.  I love breweries but they often don't have a single malty type beer. Many have zero porters.  Same with restaurants and grocery stores. My luck I have unpopular tastes.  I've never been to Coastal.
In addition to the post I just made above....I don't actually go flower seed shopping much anymore, but since I moved I realized that there are flowers I grow that aren't in this garden. Since the ones I'm missing are often an heirloom type, I just harvest my own seeds and have a continuing supply. It came as a bit of surprise to me this spring that I couldn't find my flower seeds that I usually just throw out from my collection every year. Typically I throw the seeds out in the Fall and they come up in Spring, but Spring came and the flowers didn't! So, I realized I needed to replace those. Even more vexing is that I have a huge box of seeds somewhere but haven't been able to locate it! Dry
(06-08-2019, 02:47 PM)Juniper Wrote: In addition to the post I just made above....I don't actually go flower seed shopping much anymore, but since I moved I realized that there are flowers I grow that aren't in this garden. Since the ones I'm missing are often an heirloom type, I just harvest my own seeds and have a continuing supply. It came as a bit of surprise to me this spring that I couldn't find my flower seeds that I usually just throw out from my collection every year. Typically I throw the seeds out in the Fall and they come up in Spring, but Spring came and the flowers didn't! So, I realized I needed to replace those. Even more vexing is that I have a huge box of seeds somewhere but haven't been able to locate it! Dry

The obvious question is why don't you just buy them off the internet? But I assume you know that and are just mentioning how odd it is you can't find them locally.
One of my neighbors moved and a new guy moved in. They were ripping and tearing lots of stuff out .So one day in the winter when I saw them out I told them all those vines on the chain link fence were trumpet vines and they had beautiful flowers every year.
They tore them out anyway. So now it's a butt ugly fence. The guy who bought the places farther who actually has a work ethic and some pride. Used to come and do a lot of work. I haven't seen the son do anything.
Dad rented a backhoe excavator thing and I watched him work his ass off removing a stump in the front yard. And at the time they STARTED to put new siding on the house but 2 years later they  haven't done more than one foot. Also the roof shingles are totally shot so he has black plastic on the roof  for the last 2 years.
But Hey they got rid of the stump Blink

[Image: 037afa84-aa9a-4567-9284-f54231dedf47_2.4...nBg=ffffff]
(06-08-2019, 04:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 02:47 PM)Juniper Wrote: In addition to the post I just made above....I don't actually go flower seed shopping much anymore, but since I moved I realized that there are flowers I grow that aren't in this garden. Since the ones I'm missing are often an heirloom type, I just harvest my own seeds and have a continuing supply. It came as a bit of surprise to me this spring that I couldn't find my flower seeds that I usually just throw out from my collection every year. Typically I throw the seeds out in the Fall and they come up in Spring, but Spring came and the flowers didn't! So, I realized I needed to replace those. Even more vexing is that I have a huge box of seeds somewhere but haven't been able to locate it! Dry

The obvious question is why don't you just buy them off the internet? But I assume you know that and are just mentioning how odd it is you can't find them locally.

pretty much. But I've looked through some catalogues and just hadn't bothered.  T he catalogues are full of tempting assortments of cool seeds for certain. I just figured I go to the store and buy what I wanted. So my post isn't really a complaint as  much as an observation.
(06-08-2019, 05:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: One of my neighbors moved and a new guy moved in. They were ripping and tearing lots of stuff out .So one day in the winter when I saw them out I told them all those vines on the chain link fence were trumpet vines and they had beautiful flowers every year.
They tore them out anyway. So now it's a butt ugly fence. The guy who bought the places farther who actually has a work ethic and some pride. Used to come and do a lot of work. I haven't seen the son do anything.
Dad rented a backhoe excavator thing and I watched him work his ass off removing a stump in the front yard. And at the time they STARTED to put new siding on the house but 2 years later they  haven't done more than one foot. Also the roof shingles are totally shot so he has black plastic on the roof  for the last 2 years.

I had trumpet vine at the old place. The old aggressive kind. Good for a field or something, but hard if on a house or building. I don't think they sell them anymore. They may sell a newer hybridized one, bred to be less aggressive though.  I like old fashioned plants. I went by some guys 'free' pile in West Medford a week back and was in love with the garden. He was moving away but didn't want to dig up the plants. He had comfrey which is a big hard to find, but I did bring some with me. He had hops and a bunch of other old school garden plants you don't see anymore. I did bring a few things with me, but part of me wants to go back to the old place which isn't occupied and raid my flower garden.
(06-08-2019, 05:54 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 04:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:

pretty much. But I've looked through some catalogues and just hadn't bothered.  T he catalogues are full of tempting assortments of cool seeds for certain. I just figured I go to the store and buy what I wanted. So my post isn't really a complaint as  much as an observation.

You might try BiMart they have some flower seeds. You're right though they have more veggie seeds then flowers. I'm not sure what you're looking for so I can't if they actually have it.

For anything I'm particular about internet/mail order is what I do.
(06-08-2019, 05:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: One of my neighbors moved and a new guy moved in. They were ripping and tearing lots of stuff out .So one day in the winter when I saw them out I told them all those vines on the chain link fence were trumpet vines and they had beautiful flowers every year.

I've witnessed similar thing many times. New owner moves in and cuts down all the trees. Quite often they came from California. I don't get it. Maybe they just don't like trees?

My current new neighbor immediately destroyed all the landscaping after moving in. They hacked everything up with a meat clever (actually a meat clever!) so it looks (and is) thrashed. They even limbed up the pine trees as high as they could climb. I couldn't watch, their unsafe tree cutting scared me to death.
(06-08-2019, 05:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I had trumpet vine at the old place. The old aggressive kind. Good for a field or something, but hard if on a house or building. I don't think they sell them anymore. They may sell a newer hybridized one, bred to be less aggressive though.  I like old fashioned plants. I went by some guys 'free' pile in West Medford a week back and was in love with the garden. He was moving away but didn't want to dig up the plants. He had comfrey which is a big hard to find, but I did bring some with me. He had hops and a bunch of other old school garden plants you don't see anymore. I did bring a few things with me, but part of me wants to go back to the old place which isn't occupied and raid my flower garden.

I think comfrey is kind of invasive isn't it?
(06-09-2019, 12:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I guess it's a choice between something invasive or an ugly fence.

Is your new neighbor a Trump supporter?
(06-09-2019, 12:58 PM)chuck white Wrote:

I don't think there was anything invasive. The people who lived there before had beautiful flowers hiding a chain link fence for as long as I remember.

I don't know if he's a Trump supporter. He;s just lazy or apathetic. There are two outside dogs and no dog house anywhere.The place is a mess.
(06-09-2019, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't think there was anything invasive. The people who lived there before had beautiful flowers hiding a chain link fence for as long as I remember.

I don't know if he's a Trump supporter. He;s just lazy or apathetic. There are two outside dogs and no dog house anywhere.The place is a mess.
You don't want it on your house. And it does spread and is hard to eradicate. I took it off the side of the house because it has suckers, like ivy and was pulling the siding off and going up under the roof shingles. But it kept coming back. It was just a constant thing to keep it back. Hummingbirds and pollinators love the flowers.

I've heard it can be. It was spreading a bit at my old house. The stuff I brought is in a pot. I'm still debating wahether to put it in the ground. This new place has different gardening style than my old one...a better one...I want to be careful.
Honeysuckle can be invasive also, also Periwinkle, and feverfew which are all plants I had at the other place.  Along with the dreaded bamboo, and I had some kind of ornamental striped grass that was invasive in the sun but manageable in the shade. And mint and lemon balm.
(06-09-2019, 09:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 05:59 PM)Juniper Wrote: I had trumpet vine at the old place. The old aggressive kind. Good for a field or something, but hard if on a house or building. I don't think they sell them anymore. They may sell a newer hybridized one, bred to be less aggressive though.  I like old fashioned plants. I went by some guys 'free' pile in West Medford a week back and was in love with the garden. He was moving away but didn't want to dig up the plants. He had comfrey which is a big hard to find, but I did bring some with me. He had hops and a bunch of other old school garden plants you don't see anymore. I did bring a few things with me, but part of me wants to go back to the old place which isn't occupied and raid my flower garden.

You don't want it on your house. And it does spread and is hard to eradicate. I took it off the side of the house because it has suckers, like ivy and was pulling the siding off and going up under the roof shingles. But it kept coming back. It was just a constant thing to keep it back. Hummingbirds and pollinators love the flowers.

I don't think plants that spread do so where I live. The trumpet vines were on the fence and didn't spread anywhere for 20 years or so.
I think where I live, on the Agate desert nothing spreads because unless I water the ground is bone dry.