Music
(05-25-2019, 07:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 05:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 05:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 05:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 04:54 PM)Juniper Wrote: I love Neil's voice. I think it adds a very specific quality to his own very unique songs. But you are wrong. That's not why he joined CSNY.  He joined CSNY because CSN was going on tour.  CSN's one really good musician was Stills.  He was doing most of the complex musical stuff for the band. Crosby was rhythm guitar. Nash was mostly the high vocalist. CSN needed a good instrumentalist to join them on their tour.  Stills knew Neil from their Buffalo Springfield days, and suggested him. That's why he joined them.  As soon as he did he changed everything about them because his style was so strong. Some feel to their detriment. But not me. People forget he was at Woodstock.  He didn't want the filmographers to film him, so he's barely in the footage. Neil being the old curmudgeon he was and is was kicking them if they got too near him.
I love Neil's voice.
IMO so did everyone including Crosby Still and Nash. Yes there were looking for someone and someone with talent playing guitar like that had with Stills.
But I clearly remember Crosby and Nash talking about the first time they played with Neil that they knew INSTANTLY he was going to be in their band.
I get they were not looking for a voice but Neils voice fit in and harmonized beautifully and they knew it right off the bat.
He could harmonize with them, yes. But truth be told, Neil's voice is the worst of the 4. You say he was off key Cortez. He often is. His singing voice is not strong. It just is a great fit for his songs and the right pitch to fit with what they were doing. I honestly believe it's because his voice is fragile and often barely able to hit the range he is singing in that makes his voice perfect for his songs and music. I know a lot of people though, who will say they can't listen to Neil BECAUSE of his voice.

It just is a great fit for his songs and the right pitch to fit with what they were doing

Well that's exactly what I'm saying and I remember some old video where Crosby and Nash said exactly that. I can't find it though.

I know a lot of people though, who will say they can't listen to Neil BECAUSE of his voice.

You can find a "lot of people" that think just about anything. And even if a lot didn't like his voice obviously a lot did. I still believe his unique voice may have been his best asset as far as his rise to popularity.
For me I think it was his clever ways to play an acoustic guitar.

What I remember about Graham Nash's opinion on Neil was that he wasn't really sure about having Neil in the group at all, but was won over after meeting with him for breakfast. He also said that the effect of having Neil in the group was like lobbing a hand grenade into a vacuum.
Yeah I saw that when I looked to try and find the first time Neil played with Crosby stills and Nash.
He said they NEEDED musical skills badly and wanted to lose their kind of goodie two shoes rep and that Neil would bring a "darker element"
And that surprised me because I didn't think of Neil that way.. The rolling Stones, yes. Clapton Yes.
(05-25-2019, 07:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 07:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 05:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 05:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 05:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: I love Neil's voice.
IMO so did everyone including Crosby Still and Nash. Yes there were looking for someone and someone with talent playing guitar like that had with Stills.
But I clearly remember Crosby and Nash talking about the first time they played with Neil that they knew INSTANTLY he was going to be in their band.
I get they were not looking for a voice but Neils voice fit in and harmonized beautifully and they knew it right off the bat.
He could harmonize with them, yes. But truth be told, Neil's voice is the worst of the 4. You say he was off key Cortez. He often is. His singing voice is not strong. It just is a great fit for his songs and the right pitch to fit with what they were doing. I honestly believe it's because his voice is fragile and often barely able to hit the range he is singing in that makes his voice perfect for his songs and music. I know a lot of people though, who will say they can't listen to Neil BECAUSE of his voice.

It just is a great fit for his songs and the right pitch to fit with what they were doing

Well that's exactly what I'm saying and I remember some old video where Crosby and Nash said exactly that. I can't find it though.

I know a lot of people though, who will say they can't listen to Neil BECAUSE of his voice.

You can find a "lot of people" that think just about anything. And even if a lot didn't like his voice obviously a lot did. I still believe his unique voice may have been his best asset as far as his rise to popularity.
For me I think it was his clever ways to play an acoustic guitar.

What I remember about Graham Nash's opinion on Neil was that he wasn't really sure about having Neil in the group at all, but was won over after meeting with him for breakfast. He also said that the effect of having Neil in the group was like lobbing a hand grenade into a vacuum.
Yeah I saw that when I looked to try and find the first time Neil played with Crosby stills and Nash.
He said they NEEDED musical skills badly and wanted to lose their kind of goodie two shoes rep and that Neil would bring a "darker element"
And that surprised me because I didn't think of Neil that way.. The rolling Stones, yes. Clapton Yes.

People liked to think of Neil as some friendly hippie, but really, that's not who he is at all.  On another topic but related:

Elliot Roberts has died. Which probably means nothing to anyone not a Neil fan.  He was Neil's and Joni Mitchells agent as well as CSNY and worked for Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Tracy Chapman and others..
(06-21-2019, 08:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: Elliot Roberts has died. Which probably means nothing to anyone not a Neil fan.  He was Neil's and Joni Mitchells agent as well as CSNY and worked for Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Tracy Chapman and others..

Well I'm a Neil fan and had no clue who he was Razz
(06-22-2019, 01:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 08:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: Elliot Roberts has died. Which probably means nothing to anyone not a Neil fan.  He was Neil's and Joni Mitchells agent as well as CSNY and worked for Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Tracy Chapman and others..

Yeah, I figured. I just needed to say that out loud. Big Grin
(06-22-2019, 10:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:

You know "fan" is short for fanatic , right Razz
(06-23-2019, 12:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

So....what are you saying? Embarrassed
(06-23-2019, 12:13 PM)Juniper Wrote:

LOL I'm saying as far as the Beatles you might be the latter of the two Big Grin
(06-23-2019, 02:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-22-2019, 01:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: Well I'm a Neil fan and had no clue who he was Razz

LOL I'm saying as far as the Beatles you might be the latter of the two Big Grin

You know I'm more of a Neil fan than a Beatles fan. Always have been  Neil's my guy. Neil is darker. The Bealtes are lighter.  I'm more intrigued by the phenomenon and cultural impact of the Beatles than loving their music. I do love their music and I think it's important music, but personally, they don't have the same effect on me; not like Neil's.  I'm more a Rustie than a...whatever you call a Beatles fan.  I don't think Paul is so cute, or that Lennon is God. On a personal level, I think Neil is an asshole, but that's besides the point. I don't have to like the guy to love his music.
Fast forward a few decades... do either of you listen to more modern music? I really don't too much. If you look on my phone it is all classic rock. There is only one band that I only recently started to listen to, and they have been around since the early 90s... and that is the Foo Fighters. I had been listening to 90s music for the last couple of years and grew bored of it pretty quick. But the Foo Fighters stood out from the rest for me. I still listen to their stuff... and maybe a little Pearl Jam. Oh yeah... I agree and disagree with Juniper on Neil Young. He is an asshole.. I don't care for his music or his voice.
As to bad voices that I can't listen to... I could never understand the hype behind Bono. I think his singing sucks. Bruce Springsteen has an awful singing voice. The guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is hard to listen to. Geddy Lee of Rush. Dave Matthews. Of all of the above, Matthews popularity is the toughest to understand. Because his music sucks even more than his voice. Oh yeah... put Simon LeBon on the list too. Bad voice, bad music.
(06-24-2019, 07:08 AM)GCG Wrote: As to bad voices that I can't listen to... I could never understand the hype behind Bono. I think his singing sucks. Bruce Springsteen has an awful singing voice. The guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is hard to listen to. Geddy Lee of Rush. Dave Matthews. Of all of the above, Matthews popularity is the toughest to understand. Because his music sucks even more than his voice. Oh yeah... put Simon LeBon on the list too. Bad voice, bad music.

I think I'd need to know whose voice you think is a good voice?  I like Springsteen, Matthews, and Bono.  The red hot chile's peppers guy voice is distinctive, it doesn't bother me. I'm guessing with your line up, you may also dislike Dylan?

What's interesting is to Google search worse voices in Rock. A lot of your choices show up!
(06-24-2019, 07:36 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 07:08 AM)GCG Wrote: As to bad voices that I can't listen to... I could never understand the hype behind Bono. I think his singing sucks. Bruce Springsteen has an awful singing voice. The guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is hard to listen to. Geddy Lee of Rush. Dave Matthews. Of all of the above, Matthews popularity is the toughest to understand. Because his music sucks even more than his voice. Oh yeah... put Simon LeBon on the list too. Bad voice, bad music.

I think I'd need to know whose voice you think is a good voice?  I like Springsteen, Matthews, and Bono.  The red hot chile's peppers guy voice is distinctive, it doesn't bother me. I'm guessing with your line up, you may also dislike Dylan?

What's interesting is to Google search worse voices in Rock. A lot of your choices show up!

I think Steve Perry's voice was great. Pat Benatar should be in the R&R HOF. Debbie Harry, Steve Tyler, Chris Cornell, Linda Ronstadt... those are my favorite voices. I scrolled thru the song list on my phone for those. I forgot to mention Ronnie Van Zant on the worst list. I like a lot of Lynyrd Skynrd songs but he could not sing a lick. I think that taste in voices is highly personal. I was a huge Springsteen fan back before he started wearing his politics on his sleeve. I still like his older music. I like some Chili Peppers stuff a well. Tom Petty is one with a very distinctive voice. I like it but I can see where many might not. Dylan never did it for me... never been a fan. Going back to 60s stuff... Frankie Valli's voice really stands out for me. I like his voice more than his songs.
(06-24-2019, 08:00 AM)GCG Wrote:

I think Steve Perry's voice was great. Pat Benatar should be in the R&R HOF. Debbie Harry, Steve Tyler, Chris Cornell, Linda Ronstadt... those are my favorite voices. I scrolled thru the song list on my phone for those. I forgot to mention Ronnie Van Zant on the worst list. I like a lot of Lynyrd Skynrd songs but he could not sing a lick. I think that taste in voices is highly personal. I was a huge Springsteen fan back before he started wearing his politics on his sleeve. I still like his older music. I like some Chili Peppers stuff a well. Tom Petty is one with a very distinctive voice. I like it but I can see where many might not. Dylan never did it for me... never been a fan. Going back to 60s stuff... Frankie Valli's voice really stands out for me. I like his voice more than his songs.

Most of those you listed as liking are 5 star names. I appreciate a good voice. But I don't HAVE to have it. I like unique voices. For 5 star singing power names I'd put Annie  Lennox and KD Lang, Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler and Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin who had a great blues voice, Amy Winehouse, Grace Slick, Eddie Vedder, . But for me, just because they have a "good" voice doesn't necessarily mean I prefer them.  It depends on what they are doing and singing. Great Balladeers need to be able to show off their voices, but rock and roll may not.  I often like - or dislike the different and unusual voices.  Mercury may have the pipes but it doesn't mean his voice gives me pleasure necessarily. I like Bowies voice..I've heard people say they hate Willie Nelson's voice, I can see  how it would do that. I think Lou Reed too, but I like Lou Reed.
(06-23-2019, 10:55 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-22-2019, 10:29 PM)Juniper Wrote: Yeah, I figured. I just needed to say that out loud. Big Grin

You know I'm more of a Neil fan than a Beatles fan. Always have been  Neil's my guy. Neil is darker. The Bealtes are lighter.  I'm more intrigued by the phenomenon and cultural impact of the Beatles than loving their music. I do love their music and I think it's important music, but personally, they don't have the same effect on me; not like Neil's.  I'm more a Rustie than a...whatever you call a Beatles fan.  I don't think Paul is so cute, or that Lennon is God. On a personal level, I think Neil is an asshole, but that's besides the point. I don't have to like the guy to love his music.

I said that because I see you post a lot more Beatles stuff than Neil stuff. I guess that's because there is a lot more Beatles stuff out there.

What's a Rustie?
(06-24-2019, 01:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 10:55 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 12:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: You know "fan" is short for fanatic , right Razz

I said that because I see you post a lot more Beatles stuff than Neil stuff. I guess that's because there is a lot more Beatles stuff out there.

What's a Rustie?

Rustie is a Neil Fan.  Like being a Dead Head or a Parrot Head. .  There are millions of Beatles groups and they mean very different things to different people, so there are lots of areas to wander around and discuss. Some people are very specific. I am a bit too when it comes to Beatles. I'm more interested in them as an entitity and moment in time. Their role in time and history intrigues me a lot.  Neil is different. Less groups, less discussion. Really just music focused. I only need so much of that on a FB page so whatever you see me posting...I assume you see my posts, because I don't post them on my timeline much...is because of whatever circle of source material I'm accessing.

Bruce Springsteen has an awful singing voice.

I guess so but for me it works because of his style.

Geddy Lee of Rush.

I hate it too

Dave Matthews. Of all of the above, Matthews popularity is the toughest to understand. Because his music sucks even more than his voice.

I totally agree, His constant changing from his normal voice to falsetto drives me nuts. And Duran Duran and Bono never did anything for me.
(06-24-2019, 01:30 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Most of those you listed as liking are 5 star names. I appreciate a good voice. But I don't HAVE to have it. I like unique voices. For 5 star singing power names I'd put Annie  Lennox and KD Lang, Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler and Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin who had a great blues voice, Amy Winehouse, Grace Slick, Eddie Vedder, . But for me, just because they have a "good" voice doesn't necessarily mean I prefer them.  It depends on what they are doing and singing. Great Balladeers need to be able to show off their voices, but rock and roll may not.  I often like - or dislike the different and unusual voices.  Mercury may have the pipes but it doesn't mean his voice gives me pleasure necessarily. I like Bowies voice..I've heard people say they hate Willie Nelson's voice, I can see  how it would do that. I think Lou Reed too, but I like Lou Reed.

Wow. I actually agree with you on almost all of those, except Freddie Mercury. I'm not saying he wasn't good just that I didn't care for his music personally. No argument on the rest though.
(06-24-2019, 02:20 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:30 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Wow. I actually agree with you on almost all of those, except Freddie Mercury. I'm not saying he wasn't good just that I didn't care for his music personally. No argument on the rest though.
Well, that's my point.  Freddie Mercury has a great voice. It doesn't mean I like it.

I don't care for Tom Waits much. I'm guessing with him, you love him or you hate him. Kind of like Young. I also don't care much for Alanis Morissetes voice.

I forgot to mention Ronnie Van Zant on the worst list. I like a lot of Lynyrd Skynrd songs but he could not sing a lick
That one I disagree with sort of. He definitely doesn't have a crooners voice but for me it worked perfectly  with a tough rock band. I love Lynyrd Skynrd. I have their documentary saved on my video recorded list. I often fast forward to the part where they were opening for the WHO and the crowd went fucking crazy. Normally three lead guitars doesn't work. It sure did for them.

Bob Dylan's songs and composition were too good to even worry about his voice, His song "Don't Think Twice It's All Right" Is one of mu favorites.
Speaking of Dylan I'm a huge fan his Mentor Dave Van Ronk. 

I love this one but I'm sure it's not for everyone.. Cocaine Blues was probably a bigger hit.

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/754sRFIHIrA [/video]