PGE could face murder charges
This is National news, but it's so much a part of our entire culture here that this is where I chose to post it.

How does this work?  It's a terrible tragedy. And we are all devestated by it, but this kind of liability could destroy the company, but then, millions depend on them.

California’s giant utility, Pacific Gas and Electric, could face charges up to murder if it is found criminally liable in any of the state's recent deadly wildfires, the state’s attorney general said in a court filing.

State Attorney General Xavier Becerra’s office said PG&E could face the most serious in a range of criminal charges if it is found to have caused any of the recent deadly fires — and acted with malice in the operation and maintenance of its equipment, according to a brief filed Friday in Northern California’s federal district court.
The court filing came after U.S. District Judge William Alsup ordered the utility — the state’s largest — to determine if it played any role in the Camp Fire, which in November killed at least 88 people, destroyed nearly 14,000 homes and laid waste to most of the city of Paradise in Northern California.
Alsup is overseeing a sentence against PG&E in a separate case, a 2010 natural gas pipeline explosion south of San Francisco that killed eight people and injured dozens more.

(12-30-2018, 08:31 PM)Juniper Wrote: This is National news, but it's so much a part of our entire culture here that this is where I chose to post it.

How does this work?  It's a terrible tragedy. And we are all devestated by it, but this kind of liability could destroy the company, but then, millions depend on them.

California’s giant utility, Pacific Gas and Electric, could face charges up to murder if it is found criminally liable in any of the state's recent deadly wildfires, the state’s attorney general said in a court filing.

State Attorney General Xavier Becerra’s office said PG&E could face the most serious in a range of criminal charges if it is found to have caused any of the recent deadly fires — and acted with malice in the operation and maintenance of its equipment, according to a brief filed Friday in Northern California’s federal district court.
The court filing came after U.S. District Judge William Alsup ordered the utility — the state’s largest — to determine if it played any role in the Camp Fire, which in November killed at least 88 people, destroyed nearly 14,000 homes and laid waste to most of the city of Paradise in Northern California.
Alsup is overseeing a sentence against PG&E in a separate case, a 2010 natural gas pipeline explosion south of San Francisco that killed eight people and injured dozens more.

Remember Erin Brockovich? That all started with PG&E.
(12-30-2018, 08:31 PM)Juniper Wrote: This is National news, but it's so much a part of our entire culture here that this is where I chose to post it.

acted with malice in the operation and maintenance of its equipment,

I think it's absurd to think anyone at PP&L [b]acted with malice.

malice
 [/b]
1 : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another an attack motivated by pure malice

2 : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse ruined her reputation and did it with malice

It sounds to me like this State Attorney General Xavier Becerra’s  is being dramatic and just wants the spot light. In other words being political.

Pacific Gas and Electric, could face charges up to murder

Murder
is the unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse, especially the unlawful killing of another human being with malice aforethought.

I think their could be negligence and that's about it, But negligence is the magic word when it comes to lawsuits

but this kind of liability could destroy the company, but then, millions depend on them.

I don't think the company is going anywhere no matter what. Restructured, new people at the wheel etc. It's a public utility it will always exist.
(12-31-2018, 11:00 AM)GCG Wrote:

Remember Erin Brockovich? That all started with PG&E.

And PG&E is still there. I assume some heads were chopped off but the company itself remains.
(12-31-2018, 12:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:

malice
 [/b]
1 : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another an attack motivated by pure malice

2 : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse ruined her reputation and did it with malice

It sounds to me like this State Attorney General Xavier Becerra’s  is being dramatic and just wants the spot light. In other words being political.

Murder
is the unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse, especially the unlawful killing of another human being with malice aforethought.

I think their could be negligence and that's about it, But negligence is the magic word when it comes to lawsuits

but this kind of liability could destroy the company, but then, millions depend on them.

I don't think the company is going anywhere no matter what. Restructured, new people at the wheel etc. It's a public utility it will always exist.

You said PP&L, I think you meant PG&E (but not PGE).

It's a "public utility" in the sense it's traded on the NYSE but it's not a PUD. Just making it clear for anyone who might not know.

I could see them forced to put themselves on the auction block. They may end up there anyway if they have to pay damages from all their screw-ups. It's beginning to sound like they haven't maintained their system as well as they should. I don't know that but available information might lead one to believe it.
(12-31-2018, 12:50 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

malice
 [/b]

Murder

It's a "public utility" in the sense it's traded on the NYSE but it's not a PUD. Just making it clear for anyone who might not know.

I could see them forced to put themselves on the auction block. They may end up there anyway if they have to pay damages from all their screw-ups. It's beginning to sound like they haven't maintained their system as well as they should. I don't know that but available information might lead one to believe it.

I could see them forced to put themselves on the auction block

Yes and they would still have all the same employees, buildings ,equipment etc.Just new people running the show.
(12-31-2018, 01:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:

malice
 [/b]

Murder

Yes and they would still have all the same employees, buildings ,equipment etc.Just new people running the show.

Well, maybe a couple less employees. Someone will have to take the blame.   Razz 

Warren is always looking for a new company and he has the pockets for it. Laughing
(12-31-2018, 01:21 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

malice
 [/b]

Murder

Well, maybe a couple less employees. Someone will have to take the blame.   Razz 

That is so true.
(12-31-2018, 03:23 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 12:04 PM)tvguy Wrote: acted with malice in the operation and maintenance of its equipment,

malice
 [/b]

Murder

That is so true.
Yes but that's assuming there is some kind of negligence. Meaning PG&E was aware of trees that needed to be trimmed that were too close to power lines and did nothing about it.
That sounds like it may be the case.

I know a lot of places where the high voltage lines run through the forest they make a huge, wide swath of a clear cut.
It's a great place to hunt deer.
So, now that PGE plans to cut power to populations whenever it gets a little dicey, they can have that on their heads too.  People who need respirators or other electric medical devices.  I doubt it will happen, but they say they could potentially cut the power to high risk areas for 2 or 3 days.
(12-31-2018, 04:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 03:23 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 12:50 PM)Cuzz Wrote: You said PP&L, I think you meant PG&E (but not PGE).

That is so true.
Yes but that's assuming there is some kind of negligence. Meaning PG&E was aware of trees that needed to be trimmed that were too close to power lines and did nothing about it.
That sounds like it may be the case.

I know a lot of places where the high voltage lines run through the forest they make a huge, wide swath of a clear cut.
It's a great place to hunt deer.

And if there are no deer, you can target practice at the insulators.
(06-22-2019, 10:39 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, now that PGE plans to cut power to populations whenever it gets a little dicey, they can have that on their heads too.  People who need respirators or other electric medical devices.  I doubt it will happen, but they say they could potentially cut the power to high risk areas for 2 or 3 days.

Don't you think people who are dependent on electricity for their very lives are smart enough to have a generator? Or just leave and go somewhere that has power?

I think what the power companies are doing is what's best for the majority.
(06-23-2019, 11:58 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-22-2019, 10:39 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, now that PGE plans to cut power to populations whenever it gets a little dicey, they can have that on their heads too.  People who need respirators or other electric medical devices.  I doubt it will happen, but they say they could potentially cut the power to high risk areas for 2 or 3 days.

Don't you think people who are dependent on electricity for their very lives are smart enough to have a generator? Or just leave and go somewhere that has power?

I think that's a huge assumption. So many people on support systems are living on social security and medicare. Generators are expensive and you have to keep your gas supply fresh and have the mobility and means to go get it and rotate it.   I think that's my point. There are many people without many resources who would be devestated by such an action. And of course, PGE is 1. looking out for their own ass, AND 2. the majority.  I just seem some potential disasters.
(06-23-2019, 12:16 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I think that's a huge assumption. So many people on support systems are living on social security and medicare. Generators are expensive and you have to keep your gas supply fresh and have the mobility and means to go get it and rotate it.   I think that's my point. There are many people without many resources who would be devestated by such an action. And of course, PGE is 1. looking out for their own ass, AND 2. the majority.  I just seem some potential disasters.

That should be PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric). PGE (Portland General Electric) is in NW Oregon.

We can't expect the power companies to pay tens of millions or billions because of a fire that was historic and devastating  based on a lot of factors that were not their fault, to not try and protect themselves in the future.
Yes of course they are looking out for their own ass but it's still looking out for all the people living in or near a forest.

There are many people without many resources who would be devastated by such an action.

I wonder how many? How many live in those rural counties where power lines run through the Forrest? And if they depend on power to stay alive how many don't ALREADY have back up power?
And as far as them being "devastated" they would be devastated if they lost everything they owned in a fire or died.

For 300 bucks this is more than enough to run whatever life support system. And you don't have to worry about old gas or plugged carburetors.
And I wouldn't doubt if power companies don't have programs to help the people you describe.

[Image: gen.jpg]
(06-23-2019, 01:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:

We can't expect the power companies to pay tens of millions or billions because of a fire that was historic and devastating  based on a lot of factors that were not their fault, to not try and protect themselves in the future.
Yes of course they are looking out for their own ass but it's still looking out for all the people living in or near a forest.

There are many people without many resources who would be devastated by such an action.

I wonder how many? How many live in those rural counties where power lines run through the Forrest? And if they depend on power to stay alive how many don't ALREADY have back up power?
And as far as them being "devastated" they would be devastated if they lost everything they owned in a fire or died.

For 300 bucks this is more than enough to run whatever life support system. And you don't have to worry about old gas or plugged carburetors.
And I wouldn't doubt if power companies don't have programs to help the people you describe.

Nice link and info, but I don't think they do have programs like that based on the speech the CEO or whoever gave in an interview, that I'm not going to bother and go look up and post here. Big Grin Besides I didn't say I didn't get it. I'm just commenting on how vital electricity and access to it is.
(06-23-2019, 11:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Nice link and info, but I don't think they do have programs like that based on the speech the CEO or whoever gave in an interview, that I'm not going to bother and go look up and post here. Big Grin Besides I didn't say I didn't get it. I'm just commenting on how vital electricity and access to it is.
There's no link , I just use my snipping tool. I love it LOL. I just wanted to show the alternative to gasoline.

but I don't think they do have programs

I don't really know but anyone who depends on electricity for their life because they are ill and who is so low income they can't buy a generator. I bet there are other organization that would help. Like Access.
(06-24-2019, 02:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 11:58 AM)tvguy Wrote: Don't you think people who are dependent on electricity for their very lives are smart enough to have a generator? Or just leave and go somewhere that has power?

There's no link , I just use my snipping tool. I love it LOL. I just wanted to show the alternative to gasoline.

I don't really know but anyone who depends on electricity for their life because they are ill and who is so low income they can't buy a generator. I bet there are other organization that would help. Like Access.

Don't know.  But there's all kind of people everywhere who need to be on respirators and stuff.  But I'm getting out of my area of knowledge so I'm gonna shut up now.
(06-24-2019, 03:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 12:16 PM)Juniper Wrote: I think that's a huge assumption. So many people on support systems are living on social security and medicare. Generators are expensive and you have to keep your gas supply fresh and have the mobility and means to go get it and rotate it.   I think that's my point. There are many people without many resources who would be devestated by such an action. And of course, PGE is 1. looking out for their own ass, AND 2. the majority.  I just seem some potential disasters.

Don't know.  But there's all kind of people everywhere who need to be on respirators and stuff.  But I'm getting out of my area of knowledge so I'm gonna shut up now.

"But I'm getting out of my area of knowledge so I'm gonna shut up now"

Don't let that stop you! I'm at my best when I'm making a case for something that I know nothing about. It's just so hard for me to find a subject that I'm not an expert in.  Geek Eyebrows 
(06-24-2019, 05:59 PM)GCG Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 03:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 01:35 PM)tvguy Wrote: We can't expect the power companies to pay tens of millions or billions because of a fire that was historic and devastating  based on a lot of factors that were not their fault, to not try and protect themselves in the future.

"But I'm getting out of my area of knowledge so I'm gonna shut up now"

Don't let that stop you! I'm at my best when I'm making a case for something that I know nothing about. It's just so hard for me to find a subject that I'm not an expert in.  Geek Eyebrows 

Finally! We got it in writing!!  Razz Wink Big Grin