a different random thought
(05-05-2019, 09:30 AM)bbqboy Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 09:12 AM)Juniper Wrote:
bbqboy Wrote:http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/d..._medium=s1

I kept thinking of Wonky, wondering how excited he must be with a new book by his favorite political pundit.
Smiling
The problem with Wonky, was that he could bring a really interesting topic to the table and then pound you over the head with it.
When it’s 1972 in your head, strange things happen. David Brooks and Wonky seem kindred spirits, believing in a genteel and ethical World that doesn’t exist now, if it ever did.

The bashing and the genteel part are at odds with each other.
Just like David Brooks!
Smiling
(05-05-2019, 09:30 AM)bbqboy Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 09:12 AM)Juniper Wrote:
bbqboy Wrote:http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/d..._medium=s1

I kept thinking of Wonky, wondering how excited he must be with a new book by his favorite political pundit.
Smiling
The problem with Wonky, was that he could bring a really interesting topic to the table and then pound you over the head with it.
When it’s 1972 in your head, strange things happen. David Brooks and Wonky seem kindred spirits, believing in a genteel and ethical World that doesn’t exist now, if it ever did.

I believe a a genteel and ethical World did exist relative to what we have now. Back when teenagers drove around in pickups with guns in the gun rack .
My uncle who was in WW1 said he could leave his purse on the bed when he took a shower and no one touched it.

I do think I remember Wonky going on and on about brooks. And I remember that he couldn't consider a movie or any video of being worthy compared to a book.
With the cameras and lens they have today I see incredible videos of life like I've never seen before.. Like Hostile Planet and those types of shows.
Wonky drove me nuts. He had the potential to be a good debater and conversationalist but would shut it down quickly with his own brand of superior knowledge and stance on things.  Like films.  He wasn't capable of looking at a film on its merits.  Like maybe it had a great plot but terrible acting. Or a terrible plot but spectacular cinematography, or groundbreaking technology. Nope.  If it wasn't a good STORY, none of that mattered. Same with books.  We went round about it when I mentioned that in the documentary about Snowden, one of the few things Snowden had with him, was a copy of Corey Doctorow's Homeland.  Wonky hadn't heard of it.  Think what you like about Snowden, he's no idiot and I was impressed that he had a copy.  When I told Wonky that Doctorow's works were marketed as Young Adult literature, that was it. No merit in them.  What?  The books were relevant then and are relevant today and had a lot of good thoughts, concepts and ideas, and philosophical points wrapped up in admittedly simple plotlines and unsophisticated writing styles, but they were still good. They are even taught in universities and colleges.  Nope.  Nothing doing.  Too low brow for Wonky. YOUNG ADULT!??  Absolutely not. Not even worth a glance from his high brow gaze.  It was frustrating and ultimately choosing to be ignorant.  It doesn't matter that yes, the information is available elsewhere in more sophisticated formats by more accredited authorship.  The books held truths and made good points. But no, the conversation was done. No more discussion.   Really frustrating.
(05-05-2019, 02:00 PM)Juniper Wrote: Wonky drove me nuts. He had the potential to be a good debater and conversationalist but would shut it down quickly with his own brand of superior knowledge and stance on things.  Like films.  He wasn't capable of looking at a film on its merits.  Like maybe it had a great plot but terrible acting. Or a terrible plot but spectacular cinematography, or groundbreaking technology. Nope.  If it wasn't a good STORY, none of that mattered. Same with books.  We went round about it when I mentioned that in the documentary about Snowden, one of the few things Snowden had with him, was a copy of Corey Doctorow's Homeland.  Wonky hadn't heard of it.  Think what you like about Snowden, he's no idiot and I was impressed that he had a copy.  When I told Wonky that Doctorow's works were marketed as Young Adult literature, that was it. No merit in them.  What?  The books were relevant then and are relevant today and had a lot of good thoughts, concepts and ideas, and philosophical points wrapped up in admittedly simple plotlines and unsophisticated writing styles, but they were still good. They are even taught in universities and colleges.  Nope.  Nothing doing.  Too low brow for Wonky. YOUNG ADULT!??  Absolutely not. Not even worth a glance from his high brow gaze.  It was frustrating and ultimately choosing to be ignorant.  It doesn't matter that yes, the information is available elsewhere in more sophisticated formats by more accredited authorship.  The books held truths and made good points. But no, the conversation was done. No more discussion.   Really frustrating.

I was thinking how I missed some of his posts and then I clicked on a thread that CW started about record breaking weather.
And for some reason it landed on an old Wonky post.
And then I remembered how Wonky could not stand Chuck's thread and constantly mocked and trolled the posts Chuck made he considered unworthy.
And then I realized I didn't miss that at all.
And even after
(05-05-2019, 02:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 02:00 PM)Juniper Wrote: Wonky drove me nuts. He had the potential to be a good debater and conversationalist but would shut it down quickly with his own brand of superior knowledge and stance on things.  Like films.  He wasn't capable of looking at a film on its merits.  Like maybe it had a great plot but terrible acting. Or a terrible plot but spectacular cinematography, or groundbreaking technology. Nope.  If it wasn't a good STORY, none of that mattered. Same with books.  We went round about it when I mentioned that in the documentary about Snowden, one of the few things Snowden had with him, was a copy of Corey Doctorow's Homeland.  Wonky hadn't heard of it.  Think what you like about Snowden, he's no idiot and I was impressed that he had a copy.  When I told Wonky that Doctorow's works were marketed as Young Adult literature, that was it. No merit in them.  What?  The books were relevant then and are relevant today and had a lot of good thoughts, concepts and ideas, and philosophical points wrapped up in admittedly simple plotlines and unsophisticated writing styles, but they were still good. They are even taught in universities and colleges.  Nope.  Nothing doing.  Too low brow for Wonky. YOUNG ADULT!??  Absolutely not. Not even worth a glance from his high brow gaze.  It was frustrating and ultimately choosing to be ignorant.  It doesn't matter that yes, the information is available elsewhere in more sophisticated formats by more accredited authorship.  The books held truths and made good points. But no, the conversation was done. No more discussion.   Really frustrating.

I was thinking how I missed some of his posts and then I clicked on a thread that CW started about record breaking weather.
And for some reason it landed on an old Wonky post.
And then I remembered how Wonky could not stand Chuck's thread and constantly mocked and trolled the posts Chuck made he considered unworthy.
And then I realized I didn't miss that at all.
And even after

Snarky.  A good word to describe that behavior and others.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/tyend...-1.5216532

THC Slushies!
(07-21-2019, 05:40 PM)bbqboy Wrote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/tyend...-1.5216532

THC Slushies!

The Portal in Medford has, not slushies but some kind of CBD cider if you don't want a beer.
Not the same!
Smiling
(07-21-2019, 07:14 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Not the same!
Smiling

No doubt.
Are people really that dumb?  Today on a social media page there was a comment about a photograph and one poster said to the person who posted above her:  "If you look closely, you can see he looks EXACTLY like his dad."  I had to laugh and said that was kind of an oxymoronic post because if he looked EXACTLY like his dad, you wouldn't have to look closely, but agreed with her mostly.  She got amazingly angry with me and said I had called her a moron. And then went on to defend her morals saying she is never cruel to anyone.  "Cruel?" I asked.  " I never said you were cruel."  She snapped back..."Look it up! Merriam Webster says it's two opposite meaning words used together as in 'Cruel to be kind'.  And promptly reported me.
I forgot to answer your album question. Sorry.
I’ll try to find it.
(08-14-2019, 05:39 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I forgot to answer your album question. Sorry.
I’ll try to find it.

I chose you because I figured you'd have the best.
(08-13-2019, 10:06 PM)Juniper Wrote: Are people really that dumb?  Today on a social media page there was a comment about a photograph and one poster said to the person who posted above her:  "If you look closely, you can see he looks EXACTLY like his dad."  I had to laugh and said that was kind of an oxymoronic post because if he looked EXACTLY like his dad, you wouldn't have to look closely, but agreed with her mostly.  She got amazingly angry with me and said I had called her a moron. And then went on to defend her morals saying she is never cruel to anyone.  "Cruel?" I asked.  " I never said you were cruel."  She snapped back..."Look it up! Merriam Webster says it's two opposite meaning words used together as in 'Cruel to be kind'.  And promptly reported me.
WTH?!?! Sounds like she proved that she is a moron.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(08-14-2019, 06:49 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 05:39 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I forgot to answer your album question. Sorry.
I’ll try to find it.

I chose you because I figured you'd have the best.

I’m not sure about that but I’ll go back and find it.
(08-13-2019, 10:06 PM)Juniper Wrote: Are people really that dumb?  Today on a social media page there was a comment about a photograph and one poster said to the person who posted above her:  "If you look closely, you can see he looks EXACTLY like his dad."  I had to laugh and said that was kind of an oxymoronic post because if he looked EXACTLY like his dad, you wouldn't have to look closely, but agreed with her mostly.  She got amazingly angry with me and said I had called her a moron. And then went on to defend her morals saying she is never cruel to anyone.  "Cruel?" I asked.  " I never said you were cruel."  She snapped back..."Look it up! Merriam Webster says it's two opposite meaning words used together as in 'Cruel to be kind'.  And promptly reported me.

How do you know she reported you? Because she said so? I just wonder if you are reported and FB doesn't do anything if you ever know.

But yes some people are delicate and stupid.
(08-14-2019, 01:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:

How do you know she reported you? Because she said so? I just wonder if you are reported and FB doesn't do anything if you ever know.

Can you report her for being a moron?

No. To Admin. I just thought it was hilarious. She had to look it up to get insulted, and didn't even understand the definition.
(08-14-2019, 10:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:

No. To Admin. I just thought it was hilarious. She had to look it up to get insulted, and didn't even understand the definition.

I'm sure two things happen.
she gets a tally for reporting
and you get a tally for being reported.
After a year, she'll have 20 tallies and you'll have one.
I bet Facebook has an algorithm to sort that shit out.
(08-14-2019, 11:17 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 10:07 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I'm sure two things happen.
she gets a tally for reporting
and you get a tally for being reported.
After a year, she'll have 20 tallies and you'll have one.
I bet Facebook has an algorithm to sort that shit out.
No. Not if she is reporting it to admin. Admin are the people who are running the page or group.  It has nothing to do with FB.  The owner or moderator of the page decides if the complaint is worthy of dealing with. Or may just note that it's that whiny user again.  I know. Because I moderate a couple of FB pages.  There are types who will register complaints that are just ridiculous and based upon their personal preference, and others that are ligitimately reporting something that violates the pagegroup rules.   I appreciate it when members report stuff, because I honestly don't look at every group in it's entirety every day.  Conscientious members make the job much easier.