Movies!
(10-02-2019, 10:38 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 08:57 PM)Juniper Wrote: I may die and go to heaven. I LOVE continuous running shots.  I get so excited when I see them. The choreography and synchronized action and detail that goes into them. I loved  Children of Men because it has two really great ones, and The Revenanat has lots.  So did Birdman, but I just couldn't get into that. The Longest Day has one.  Now there's one coming out where the entire film is one...so I'm in heaven!

So if they run out of film 5 minutes before the end of the movie do they have to start all over again?

You're joking, right?
(10-02-2019, 08:33 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 12:17 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 08:57 PM)Juniper Wrote: I may die and go to heaven. I LOVE continuous running shots.  I get so excited when I see them. The choreography and synchronized action and detail that goes into them. I loved  Children of Men because it has two really great ones, and The Revenanat has lots.  So did Birdman, but I just couldn't get into that. The Longest Day has one.  Now there's one coming out where the entire film is one...so I'm in heaven!

So if they run out of film 5 minutes before the end of the movie do they have to start all over again?

There is no film.
Do you mean, the link doesn't work for you?  I'm sorry if so.  It does for me.  Sometimes when I post a link it shows, then later it doesn't, but on my end it does.  You can watch it here on youtube if you like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq4t3f6LmDA  I don't really expect anyone to care...but there's not much posted here anyway, so I figure, WTH?

Big Grin  I think he meant the cameras don't use film because they're digital?

I could be wrong, I was once.   Razz
(10-02-2019, 08:34 PM)Juniper Wrote:

You're joking, right?
Of course.
(10-02-2019, 08:48 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

There is no film.
Do you mean, the link doesn't work for you?  I'm sorry if so.  It does for me.  Sometimes when I post a link it shows, then later it doesn't, but on my end it does.  You can watch it here on youtube if you like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq4t3f6LmDA  I don't really expect anyone to care...but there's not much posted here anyway, so I figure, WTH?

Yep, I'm sure that's what he meant.
(10-03-2019, 08:36 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 10:38 AM)tvguy Wrote:   So if they run out of film 5 minutes before the end of the movie do they have to start all over again?

There is no film.

Yes, that is what I meant Razz
(10-03-2019, 09:04 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 08:36 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 12:17 PM)GPnative Wrote: There is no film.

Yes, that is what I meant Razz

Oohh!
(10-03-2019, 08:35 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 08:34 PM)Juniper Wrote:

You're joking, right?
Of course.
Maybe I'm rubbing off on you. It's usually you that can't tell when I'm being drily humorous.
I'm still a movie geek. I believe that movies are meant to be seen in the format they were shot for. They are so much better as pieces of art. That doesn't mean I go and see every movie, and most movies I do want to see don't even come to the theater in Medford. I liked it better when we had 4 cinemas.

By the way...I saw the latest Tarantino film, at the theater. Now, I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino. I know he has his fans, but I'm so so about him...it depends on what he's doing. Some I love, others I could pass on. I know that excessive, over the top violence his trademark. I know some people love it. I only like it small doses. I thought Once upon a time in Hollywood was very good. Cinematically it was a real treat and he made a good job of evoking 1960's Los Angeles, which is near enough to But I thought it made it better. I really enjoyed it. And I think seeing it on the big screen made it amazing.
(10-03-2019, 12:47 PM)Juniper Wrote:  I thought Once upon a time in Hollywood was very good. Cinematically it was a real treat and he made a good job of evoking 1960's Los Angeles, which is near enough to   But I thought it made it better.  I really enjoyed it. And I think seeing it on the big screen made it amazing.

Same here, I enjoyed it. I also think DiCaprio did a fantastic job in the movie.

Saw Downton Abbey last weekend, I think any fan of the show will enjoy the movie, I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. We almost decided to just say to heck with it and wait for it to be released to streaming or DVD, but I'm really glad we changed our mind and went to the theater. The cinematography on the big screen was fantastic.
(10-03-2019, 01:26 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 12:47 PM)Juniper Wrote:  I thought Once upon a time in Hollywood was very good. Cinematically it was a real treat and he made a good job of evoking 1960's Los Angeles, which is near enough to   But I thought it made it better.  I really enjoyed it. And I think seeing it on the big screen made it amazing.

Same here, I enjoyed it. I also think DiCaprio did a fantastic job in the movie.

Saw Downton Abbey last weekend, I think any fan of the show will enjoy the movie, I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. We almost decided to just say to heck with it and wait for it to be released to streaming or DVD, but I'm really glad we changed our mind and went to the theater. The cinematography on the big screen was fantastic.

I went to see that...kind of Why not?  I thought it was a tad contrived and tied up with a pretty bowm, but figured it wouldn't go to a streaming I'd see anyway. I go to the movies by myself.
(10-03-2019, 02:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I went to see that...kind of Why not?  I thought it was a tad contrived and tied up with a pretty bowm, but figured it wouldn't go to a streaming I'd see anyway. I go to the movies by myself.

No shame in going to movies alone, in the past few years if I added them up I'd say I have gone to more alone than with someone. My wife and I are not the joined at the hip kind of couple, (those kind of couples actually annoy me, but that's a different topic) if it's a movie I want to see and she doesn't, I go alone, simple as that.
(10-03-2019, 02:45 PM)GPnative Wrote:

No shame in going to movies alone, in the past few years if I added them up I'd say I have gone to more alone than with someone. My wife and I are not the joined at the hip kind of couple, (those kind of couples actually annoy me, but that's a different topic) if it's a movie I want to see and she doesn't, I go alone, simple as that.
I've gone to movies alone for decades. I'll go with someone if it happens, but often it's alone. Come to think of it, I remember seeing "Sling Blade" alone. There was no hype or reputation to this film yet..I remember coming out of that movie and really wanting to talk to someone about it. And also, there was something about it, subtle bits of acting that didn't carry over to the small screen. Not even a big small screen. Same with big movies like The Revenant, or The Martian or Intergallactic, that just need a big screen to have the effect.
(10-03-2019, 08:46 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Spoiler alert...

I've gone to movies alone for decades. I'll go with someone if it happens, but often it's alone. Come to think of it, I remember seeing "Sling Blade" alone. There was no hype or reputation to this film yet..I remember coming out of that movie and really wanting to talk to someone about it. And also, there was something about it, subtle bits of acting that didn't carry over to the small screen. Not even a big small screen. Same with big movies like The Revenant, or The Martian or Intergallactic, that just need a big screen to have the effect.
 Spoiler alert...
I'm bothered by movies when they are not believable. This was the case for the Revenant. The wolves were ridiculously big and acted nothing like real wolves. Jumping off a cliff and sliding down the branches. Falling in the river and crawling out then somehow magically finding what he needed to start a fire.
The battle scene was like the Indians were invisible and shooting compound bows.

I still liked the movie especially the filmography. I think movies are made for kids who are bored by anything realistic.
(10-04-2019, 11:04 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 01:26 PM)GPnative Wrote: Same here, I enjoyed it. I also think DiCaprio did a fantastic job in the movie.

Spoiler alert...

Spoiler alert...
I'm bothered by movies when they are not believable. This was the case for the Revenant. The wolves were ridiculously big and acted nothing like real wolves. Jumping off a cliff and sliding down the branches. Falling in the river and crawling out then somehow magically finding what he needed to start a fire.
The battle scene was like the Indians were invisible and shooting compound bows.

I still liked the movie especially the filmography. I think movies are made for kids who are bored by anything realistic.

Laughing Laughing   I agree with you mostly. However, if a film can convince me to suspend disbelief, then that's to it's credit. I know that particular film was based on a real person and obviously it was highly exaggerated.  But, I mean, you watch GOF right? That requires suspension of all disbelief because it's fantasy.  I think for the Revenant I just suspended disbelief in order for a good story to be told.
(10-04-2019, 07:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 02:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: I went to see that...kind of Why not?  I thought it was a tad contrived and tied up with a pretty bowm, but figured it wouldn't go to a streaming I'd see anyway. I go to the movies by myself.

Spoiler alert...

Spoiler alert...

Laughing Laughing   I agree with you mostly. However, if a film can convince me to suspend disbelief, then that's to it's credit. I know that particular film was based on a real person and obviously it was highly exaggerated.  But, I mean, you watch GOF right? That requires suspension of all disbelief because it's fantasy.  I think for the Revenant I just suspended disbelief in order for a good story to be told.
GOF ????
(10-05-2019, 12:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 02:45 PM)GPnative Wrote:  Spoiler alert...

Spoiler alert...

GOF ????

Sorry, GOT
(10-05-2019, 09:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 08:46 PM)Juniper Wrote: I've gone to movies alone for decades. I'll go with someone if it happens, but often it's alone. Come to think of it, I remember seeing "Sling Blade" alone. There was no hype or reputation to this film yet..I remember coming out of that movie and really wanting to talk to someone about it. And also, there was something about it, subtle bits of acting that didn't carry over to the small screen. Not even a big small screen. Same with big movies like The Revenant, or The Martian or Intergallactic, that just need a big screen to have the effect.
 Spoiler alert...

GOF ????

Sorry, GOT
You're fucking with me right? What the fuck is GOT? OK never mind I had to Google even that acronym. Rolling Eyes
Anyway I don't see how you can compare the the two. GOT was fantasy or science fiction. It was full of full blown magic and paranormal crap.
(10-06-2019, 10:03 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 11:04 AM)tvguy Wrote:  Spoiler alert...

GOF ????

Sorry, GOT
You're fucking with me right? What the fuck is GOT? OK never mind I had to Google even that acronym. Rolling Eyes
Anyway I don't see how you can compare the the two. GOT was fantasy or science fiction. It was full of full blown magic and paranormal crap.

I'm not comparing the two. I'm talking about you. You show that by watching fantasy and science fiction that you are able to suspend disbelief. That's what I'm saying. So, in a film like the revenant, which is admittedly not supposed to be fantasy, I am able to suspend my disbelief at the wolves and what not. Although apparently that guy did get attacked by a bear that he killed and some of those other things did occur...so I just suspend my disbelief if the story is compelling enough.
(10-06-2019, 10:56 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 07:48 PM)Juniper Wrote: Laughing Laughing   I agree with you mostly. However, if a film can convince me to suspend disbelief, then that's to it's credit. I know that particular film was based on a real person and obviously it was highly exaggerated.  But, I mean, you watch GOF right? That requires suspension of all disbelief because it's fantasy.  I think for the Revenant I just suspended disbelief in order for a good story to be told.
GOF ????

Sorry, GOT

I'm not comparing the two. I'm talking about you. You show that by watching fantasy and science fiction that you are able to suspend disbelief. That's what I'm saying. So, in a film like the revenant, which is admittedly not supposed to be fantasy, I am able to suspend my disbelief at the wolves and what not. Although apparently that guy did get attacked by a bear that he killed and some of those other things did occur...so I just suspend my disbelief if the story is compelling enough.

Well sure I can overlook what is not real watching fantasy and science fiction. But not when what I'm watching is not supposed to and should not have unbelievable parts. Especially when it's about a true story. I don't mind if they  embellish the story, they always do. But for me it has to be believable. From the very beginning when INVISIBLE Indians were shooting high speed laser guided arrows with unbelievable accuracy I was somewhat disappointed. Razz

He climbed out of an ice cold river and all I could see was snow and magically he was able to to start a fire?

As far as the wolves.. That was a different movie I had confused with the revenant LOL

The Grey
[Image: v1.bTsxMTE2NDU1NjtqOzE4MjY0OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA]

The Grey
Critics Consensus
The Grey is an exciting tale of survival, populated with fleshed-out characters and a surprising philosophical agenda.

79%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 206

61%
Audience Score
User Ratings: 164,884
(10-07-2019, 12:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 10:56 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-05-2019, 12:34 PM)tvguy Wrote: GOF ????

Sorry, GOT

Well sure I can overlook what is not real watching fantasy and science fiction. But not when what I'm watching is not supposed to and should not have unbelievable parts. Especially when it's about a true story. I don't mind if they  embellish the story, they always do. But for me it has to be believable. From the very beginning when INVISIBLE Indians were shooting high speed laser guided arrows with unbelievable accuracy I was somewhat disappointed. Razz

He climbed out of an ice cold river and all I could see was snow and magically he was able to to start a fire?

As far as the wolves.. That was a different movie I had confused with the revenant LOL

The Grey
[Image: v1.bTsxMTE2NDU1NjtqOzE4MjY0OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA]

The Grey
Critics Consensus
The Grey is an exciting tale of survival, populated with fleshed-out characters and a surprising philosophical agenda.

79%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 206

61%
Audience Score
User Ratings: 164,884
You're saying you had the Grey and it's wolves mixed up with the Revenant?  (just to be clear).