Winco to the rescue
The bag tax is upon us. I saw this coming and saved up my plastic bags months beforehand.

The problem is they can only be used so many times, before they tear. I never want to reuse one from meat, I toss that one.

My fear is running out and then have to buy them or use cloth. (I'm cheap)

So, I'm shopping at Winco and using my own bags and Winco credits me 6 cents per bag.

I put two and two together and then bought new bags at 5 cents, for each used bag they gave me 6 cents for.
Put those new bags in with my groceries and walked out with my used bags.

Bottom line is I get a new bag for each old bag, and get paid 1 cent for each bag I replace.

I know that this is not a get rich quick plan, at a penny per bag, but the tortoise won the race.

Ninja
Grocery Outlet has plastic bags for $.15 that are a thick mil.
I haven’t had one break or tear yet.
(02-01-2020, 06:49 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Grocery Outlet has plastic bags for $.15 that are a thick mil.
I haven’t had one break or tear yet.

Do they give you credit for using your own bag?
Sure. I’ve had some for more than a year. Construction grade trash bag thickness.
(02-01-2020, 09:12 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Sure. I’ve had some for more than a year. Construction grade trash bag  thickness.

I've been looking for something like that but without being pre-decorated with advertisements.
(02-01-2020, 10:22 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 09:12 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Sure. I’ve had some for more than a year. Construction grade trash bag  thickness.

I've been looking for something like that but without being pre-decorated with advertisements.

Can you turn them inside out, to get rid of the ads?
Twitch
(02-01-2020, 01:14 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 10:22 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Can you turn them inside out, to get rid of the ads?
Twitch

Not if they're clear or translucent plastic.   Wink
(02-01-2020, 12:21 AM)chuck white Wrote: The bag tax is upon us. I saw this coming and saved up my plastic bags months beforehand.

The problem is they can only be used so many times, before they tear. I never want to reuse one from meat, I toss that one.

So, I'm shopping at Winco and using my own bags and Winco credits me 6 cents per bag.

I put two and two together and then bought new bags at 5 cents, for each used bag they gave me 6 cents for.

Bottom line is I get a new bag for each old bag, and get paid 1 cent for each bag I replace.

I know that this is not a get rich quick plan, at a penny per bag, but the tortoise won the race.

Ninja

Great plan, im doing that when my massive stock pile of plastic bags runs out.
(02-01-2020, 03:07 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 12:21 AM)chuck white Wrote: The bag tax is upon us. I saw this coming and saved up my plastic bags months beforehand.

Ninja

It's kinda funny that the plastic bag stockpile seems to be so common here (I'm doing the same thing) but I don't ever see anyone else at the store using them.

Great minds and all that, I guess.
(02-01-2020, 04:41 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 03:07 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Ninja

It's kinda funny that the plastic bag stockpile seems to be so common here (I'm doing the same thing) but I don't ever see anyone else at the store using them.

Great minds and all that, I guess.

I use them for lunch bags at work, trash liners, all sorts of refuse related uses. i already planned to continue using plastic for all the same uses, even if it means i buy them, i was going to experiment with produce bags for small can liners also so my environmental impact remains unchanged, purely for kate brown spite.
It's not a tax. It's a price. I have so many reusable bags (not the plastic kind) it's too many. I still went into a store today and forgot to take one in.
(02-01-2020, 10:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: It's not a tax. It's a price.  I have so many reusable bags (not the plastic kind) it's too many. I still went into a store today and forgot to take one in.

A mandatory price.

So if you still want a free bag and a new one each time.
It works like this.
Use self serve.
1st time bring in an old bag get 6 cent credit (So far only Winco does this, I heard food for less does too, but not confirmed)
put groceries in old bag (old bag first time only)
At the end of transaction, they ask how many bags did you use.
Tell them 1, and pay 5 Cents (comes off of the 6 cent credit) put new bag in with your groceries.

Next time come in with your new bag, that you bought the first time (never used), get 6 cent credit, use your new bag for groceries, purchase another new bag at end of transaction.

So now you get a new bag each time you come in, to use next time you come in. And you make a penny each time.

I just beat the system.  Laughing
OK, say you forgot to take bags and you need to do a lot of shopping.

This is a bit trickier, figure out how many bags you will need. say 6.

go in and buy 6 items, put one in its own bag and pay the 30 cents for the bags

take items to your car and come back in with your 6 bags, get 36 cent credit. (you just made 6 cents)
Use your 6 bags for the bulk of your shopping.

Ninja
(02-02-2020, 08:21 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 10:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: It's not a tax. It's a price.  I have so many reusable bags (not the plastic kind) it's too many. I still went into a store today and forgot to take one in.

A mandatory price.

It works like this.
Use self serve.
1st time bring in an old bag get 6 cent credit (So far only Winco does this, I heard food for less does too, but not confirmed)
Tell them 1, and pay 5 Cents (comes off of the 6 cent credit) put new bag in with your groceries.

Next time come in with your new bag, that you bought the first time (never used), get 6 cent credit, use your new bag for groceries, purchase another new bag at end of transaction.

So now you get a new bag each time you come in, to use next time you come in. And you make a penny each time.

I understand what you are saying.  I just don't think it matters. Not for me it doesn't. A mandatory price?  Yes, you are buying the bag. Big deal.  I'm not worried about some fancy games to get out of paying for a bag. If I forget my bag, I don't buy one, I just put the items in my basket, take it to my car and unload it into a bag in the car. But congratulations on beating the 'system'.
(02-02-2020, 08:29 AM)Juniper Wrote:

A mandatory price.

It works like this.
Use self serve.

I understand what you are saying.  I just don't think it matters. Not for me it doesn't. A mandatory price?  Yes, you are buying the bag. Big deal.  I'm not worried about some fancy games to get out of paying for a bag. If I forget my bag, I don't buy one, I just put the items in my basket, take it to my car and unload it into a bag in the car. But congratulations on beating the 'system'.

I'm with you on this. I'm always impressed by the ingenuity some people will bring to any challenge. And I give attaboys to chuck for his determination. But this is just too trivial to motivate me. I just store my shopping bags in my vehicle so there there when needed. Though I still got caught without once or twice. Then I just did like you said or pay the nickle.

I don't understand the "use your own bag" bounty. It doesn't really make sense anymore.
(02-02-2020, 08:45 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

A mandatory price.

It works like this.
Use self serve.

I'm with you on this. I'm always impressed by the ingenuity some people will bring to any challenge. And I give attaboys to chuck for his determination. But this is just too trivial to motivate me. I just store my shopping bags in my vehicle so there there when needed. Though I still got caught without once or twice. Then I just did like you said or pay the nickle.

I don't understand the "use your own bag" bounty. It doesn't really make sense anymore.

The other option, if you forget the bags, is use the small carry baskets, I just put everything back into that.  This makes it easy to carry to the car and into the house. I just have to remember to bring them back. Ninja

Ninja Ninja

A mandatory price.

It works like this.
Use self serve.

I think for me, it's partly that I see the value in the bag ban...I also don't buy into the many reasons given for keeping them because we can reuse them this way or that way. I think all of those reuses can be substituted also, or most of them anyway. And I never pay the nickel or haven't yet. I know I have the bags in my car.  More than I need and not all of them want to fold flat, so it's annoying, but I'll get in the habit eventually.
(02-02-2020, 10:15 AM)Juniper Wrote:

A mandatory price.

It works like this.
Use self serve.

I think for me, it's partly that I see the value in the bag ban...I also don't buy into the many reasons given for keeping them because we can reuse them this way or that way. I think all of those reuses can be substituted also, or most of them anyway. And I never pay the nickel or haven't yet. I know I have the bags in my car.  More than I need and not all of them want to fold flat, so it's annoying, but I'll get in the habit eventually.

I don't mind it. I'm just still getting used to it, though I've gotten much better at remembering. It's the non-grocery stores I keep forgetting sometimes still.
(02-02-2020, 08:49 AM)chuck white Wrote:

A mandatory price.

It works like this.
Use self serve.

The other option, if you forget the bags, is use the small carry baskets, I just put everything back into that.  This makes it easy to carry to the car and into the house. I just have to remember to bring them back. Ninja

Ninja Ninja

Twitch

Laughing better then liberating baskarts I guess. Big Grin
(02-02-2020, 08:49 AM)chuck white Wrote:

A mandatory price.

It works like this.
Use self serve.

Ninja Ninja
Not an option for me.