What's in your garden?
(02-23-2021, 08:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 10:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: Soooo...gardening.  Turns out that my place is mostly shaded.  There isn't enough sun and the entire place is planted with shrubs and grasses.   Lots of weeding. No lawn. (yay!) There's only one unplanted area but it gets only about 3 hours of sun a day and things stay puny there. But veggie gardening has been a challenge.  The only area that gets enough sun is on asphalt. Last summer I tried deep pots for veggies but they just got too hot.  I know they sell raised beds that are like kits...maybe I should try those?  My mobility is so limited, I'd have to find someone to put them up for me.  I do miss having the old salad garden though.

You only get three hours of sun now or in the summer? I saw this water trough used for a planter on FB and I saw a used one on CL so I bought it and planted my strawberries in it.
Instead of filling the entire thing with garden soil I had the brilliant idea of filling it half way with that light volcanic red rock.
So I went to Hilton fuel and loaded several 5 gal buckets full of that rock. The problem was the damn rock was just as heavy as any other rock ???
I used it anyway and it's so freaking my tractor will just barely pick it up Sad  I need  to find some pumice or something like that.

[Image: Trough.jpg]

In the summer. Most of the yard is shaded.  So the only open plot is in the back and it only gets about 3 or 4 hours of sunlight a day in the longest days. No drainage on that thing?
(02-23-2021, 08:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 10:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: Soooo...gardening.  Turns out that my place is mostly shaded.  There isn't enough sun and the entire place is planted with shrubs and grasses.   Lots of weeding. No lawn. (yay!) There's only one unplanted area but it gets only about 3 hours of sun a day and things stay puny there. But veggie gardening has been a challenge.  The only area that gets enough sun is on asphalt. Last summer I tried deep pots for veggies but they just got too hot.  I know they sell raised beds that are like kits...maybe I should try those?  My mobility is so limited, I'd have to find someone to put them up for me.  I do miss having the old salad garden though.

You only get three hours of sun now or in the summer? I saw this water trough used for a planter on FB and I saw a used one on CL so I bought it and planted my strawberries in it.
Instead of filling the entire thing with garden soil I had the brilliant idea of filling it half way with that light volcanic red rock.
So I went to Hilton fuel and loaded several 5 gal buckets full of that rock. The problem was the damn rock was just as heavy as any other rock ???
I used it anyway and it's so freaking my tractor will just barely pick it up Sad  I need  to find some pumice or something like that.

In the summer. Most of the yard is shaded.  So the only open plot is in the back and it only gets about 3 or 4 hours of sunlight a day in the longest days. No drainage on that thing?
I drilled a bunch of holes in it Big Grin  Working as an electrician at hundreds of houses in Medford I have seen lots of gardens in between houses that could not have gotten much sunlight. And they seemed to be fine. I don't know how.

Can tomatoes get too much sun?

Is 4 hours of sun enough for tomatoes?
They will need 6 to 8 hours of sun a day, so plant in the sunniest parts of your garden. If you don't have enough sun, you have options. Smaller, determinate patio tomatoes will do well in 4 to 6 hours of sun, and cherry tomato varieties can grow with even less sun.Apr 9, 2014

[Image: bed-ssssss.jpg]
(02-24-2021, 12:39 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 08:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I drilled a bunch of holes in it Big Grin  Working as an electrician at hundreds of houses in Medford I have seen lots of gardens in between houses that could not have gotten much sunlight. And they seemed to be fine. I don't know how.

Can tomatoes get too much sun?

Is 4 hours of sun enough for tomatoes?
They will need 6 to 8 hours of sun a day, so plant in the sunniest parts of your garden. If you don't have enough sun, you have options. Smaller, determinate patio tomatoes will do well in 4 to 6 hours of sun, and cherry tomato varieties can grow with even less sun.Apr 9, 2014

[Image: bed-ssssss.jpg]

I know this patch does not get enough sun. Not nearly.  Nothing that needs sun does well there.  Even the sun it gets is filtered.
Peas are sprouting, rhubarb is too, daffodils and crocus are in riot.
(03-17-2021, 04:26 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Peas are sprouting, rhubarb is too, daffodils and crocus are in riot.
Nice
I bought some walla wallas Razz  And I bought some cedar 2"X12"X14' dimensional boards for 30 bucks each.
Gonna make some raised beds.
I found this guy who has a lumber yard in Wimer. I also bought a bunch of black oak. Three pieces are 16 in wide for another 70 bucks.
A guy could make an awesome farm table.

[Image: Black-oak.jpg]

[Image: cedar.jpg]
(03-17-2021, 05:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 04:26 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Peas are sprouting, rhubarb is too, daffodils and crocus are in riot.
Nice
I bought some walla wallas Razz  And I bought some cedar 2"X12"X14' dimensional boards for 30 bucks each.
I found this guy who has a lumber yard in Wimer. I also bought a bunch of black oak. Three pieces are 16 in wide for another 70 bucks.

Feels good to get back outside to work in the garden. I've planted a couple fruit trees, a couple kiwi vines and some more rhubarb roots these last few weeks. Got a bunch of pruning done.

I really should get some onions in soon too.
I bought a bouquet with a dozen orange Tulips with my Fred Meyer grocery order yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(03-17-2021, 06:53 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
Nice

Feels good to get back outside to work in the garden. I've planted a couple fruit trees, a couple kiwi vines and some more rhubarb roots these last few weeks. Got a bunch of pruning done.

Yep winter is over Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin And the sooner you get the onions in the better and bigger they will be
(03-19-2021, 02:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Nice

Yep winter is over Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin And the sooner you get the onions in the better and bigger they will be

... now just need to figure out where to put them   Embarrassed 

last year the deer ate the tops off all of them   Mad
(03-19-2021, 06:56 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
Nice

Well since onion don't get very tall you should be able to cover them with some screen, chicken wire or whatever.
(03-20-2021, 01:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 05:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: Nice

Well since onion don't get very tall you should be able to cover them with some screen, chicken wire or whatever.

Yeah, that's the plan this year. I was surprised last year cause they hadn't touched them in previous summers. Guess I got a deer with more adventurous taste. It was even taking bites out of the rhubarb leaves and they never did that before either.
(03-20-2021, 04:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 06:53 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Feels good to get back outside to work in the garden. I've planted a couple fruit trees, a couple kiwi vines and some more rhubarb roots these last few weeks. Got a bunch of pruning done.

Yeah, that's the plan this year. I was surprised last year cause they hadn't touched them in previous summers. Guess I got a deer with more adventurous taste. It was even taking bites out of the rhubarb leaves and they never did that before either.
When I was a kid and was out and about it wasn't uncommon for me to  swipe a stalk of Rhubarb from someones yard Razz
(03-21-2021, 04:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 04:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 02:35 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yep winter is over Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin And the sooner you get the onions in the better and bigger they will be

When I was a kid and was out and about it wasn't uncommon for me to  swipe a stalk of Rhubarb from someones yard Razz

We used to do that too  Big Grin

It's still my favorite vegetable on pancakes or ice cream.
Okay... all of you GARDENERS... I have my first raised bed. Is it too late in the season to start growing some veggies? I'd love to have some tomatoes, zucchini, patty pans...I have no idea what all. Can you give me some pointers?

Thanks!

(05-25-2021, 09:05 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Okay... all of you GARDENERS... I have my first raised bed. Is it too late in the season to start growing some veggies? I'd love to have some tomatoes, zucchini, patty pans...I have no idea what all. Can you give me some pointers?

Thanks!

Plant away, all of those things should still be growable. You might want to consider buying starts from a nursery to make it easier. Failing the first time is rather discouraging, ask me how I know.   Wink
(05-26-2021, 06:52 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(05-25-2021, 09:05 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Okay... all of you GARDENERS... I have my first raised bed. Is it too late in the season to start growing some veggies? I'd love to have some tomatoes, zucchini, patty pans...I have no idea what all. Can you give me some pointers?

Thanks!

Plant away, all of those things should still be growable. You might want to consider buying starts from a nursery to make it easier. Failing the first time is rather discouraging, ask me how I know.   Wink
Thanks! I am going by our local garden shop today and we what kind of starts I can find.

(05-26-2021, 12:50 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks! I am going by our local garden shop today and we what kind of starts I can find.

Try and get some hybrid tomatoes that produce fruit early.. Like "early girl" I think there is one called Oregon spring or springer.
You can still grow other types. I just hate to have to wait so long to have yummy ripe maters.
(05-26-2021, 02:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Thanks!

Try and get some hybrid tomatoes that produce fruit early.. Like "early girl" I think there is one called Oregon spring or springer.
You can still grow other types. I just hate to have to wait so long to have yummy ripe maters.

I would suggest cherry tomatoes, they are (nearly) instant gratification!! "Sweet Million" is a good choice. Summer squash (zucchini, patty pan) are good choices. Fresh grown green beans of your preference is a good choice too.

Start easy and build on your experience. That's how I did it.

Thanks!

Thanks! Great advice! Patience is not always one of my best suits.

(05-26-2021, 05:06 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Thanks!

I would suggest cherry tomatoes, they are (nearly) instant gratification!! "Sweet Million" is a good choice. Summer squash (zucchini, patty pan) are good choices. Fresh grown green beans of your preference is a good choice too.

Start easy and build on your experience. That's how I did it.
Cool beans! I appreciate the help!