Have you turned on your heat yet LOL
I could not find the old thread. This year instead of firing up the pellet stove I have been heating my house with a small 1500 watt heater.
My plan was to take my pellet stove outside and give it a good cleaning. But like lots of things I never got a roundtoit. Razz
So here it is Dec 10 and I am still using the little heater and surprisingly it works well so far with the weather we have been having.
On days with no sunshine it does run most of the day. I turn it off when I go to bed. And usually turn it on an hour or so before I get up.
My house is only a little over 900 sq ft. And we have two bedrooms we don't use or heat.
I have all new windows now, a lot of insulation in the attic.
Anyway I am surprised that I can heat the house with electricity and very inexpensively.

A 1500 watt heater costs roughly 15 cents an hour to run.
Normally it's on maybe 14 hours a day that cost me about 2 bucks. That's $60 a month to heat my house.
So normally I might have used a bag of pellets every other day or so which would cost me close to $100. Or every three days which is
If I ran the heater all day and all night for an entire month that would cost about $108

My last electric bill ending 12/06/21 was only $133.00 The lowest bill I have ever had in the last two year was 86 bucks.

So 133 bucks for last month is pretty damn good considering all of the electricity I use. I have a room in my shop with a large TV that I heat with a wall mounted heat pump/AC unit. And that room is not yet insulated so I also run a 1500 watt heater sometimes.
I recently bought all brand new top of the like appliances, washer dryer dishwasher and a range. I think that has something to do with my lower bills.

Only my two refrigerators are not new. Anyway maybe this info will be of some use to someone Big Grin
We've been running ours for awhile now.
We have a gas heat/ac unit. Not sure what it runs monthly.

Side note: we're in the process of having a generator installed. When shit hits the fan... we'll still be able to run the house.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(12-10-2021, 11:52 PM)All I care about if the Scrapper Wrote: We've been running ours for awhile now.

Side note: we're in the process of having a generator installed. When shit hits the fan... we'll still be able to run the house.

I bought a small Honda 2000 watt generator a year ago and Haven't used it since. Now it won't start damn it.
All I care about if the power goes out is running my pellet stove and my PC.
(12-10-2021, 08:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: I could not find the old thread. This year instead of firing up the pellet stove I have been heating my house with a small 1500 watt heater.
My plan was to take my pellet stove outside and give it a good cleaning. But like lots of things I never got a roundtoit. Razz
So here it is Dec 10 and I am still using the little heater and surprisingly it works well so far with the weather we have been having.
On days with no sunshine it does run most of the day. I turn it off when I go to bed. And usually turn it on an hour or so before I get up.
My house is only a little over 900 sq ft. And we have two bedrooms we don't use or heat.
Anyway I am surprised that I can heat the house with electricity and very inexpensively.

Normally it's on maybe 14 hours a day that cost me about 2 bucks. That's $60 a month to heat my house.
So normally I might have used a bag of pellets every other day or so which would cost me close to $100. Or every three days which is
If I ran the heater all day and all night for an entire month that would cost about $108

My last electric bill ending 12/06/21 was only $133.00 The lowest bill I have ever had in the last two year was 86 bucks.

So 133 bucks for last month is pretty damn good considering all of the electricity I use. I have a room in my shop with a large TV that I heat with a wall mounted heat pump/AC unit. And that room is not yet insulated so I also run a 1500 watt heater sometimes.
I recently bought all brand new top of the like appliances, washer dryer dishwasher and a range. I think that has something to do with my lower bills.

Only my two refrigerators are not new. Anyway maybe this info will be of some use to someone Big Grin

I used one of those little oil radiator like heaters last year. It really cranked out the heat and I really like the kind of radiant heat it gives.  But, looking at the electricity bills, I see a big increase in the electricity usage. Sad  I like that kind of heat. I dislike forced air heat.  So, I haven't used it this year.
(12-11-2021, 04:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 11:52 PM)All I care about if the Scrapper Wrote: We've been running ours for awhile now.

I bought a small Honda 2000 watt generator a year ago and Haven't used it since. Now it won't start damn it.

Laughing   Sorry, I had to laugh at your priorities. I don't mean anything by that, it conforms with modern social conduct naturally. The want for heat makes sense but the PC wouldn't be so high priority until just very recent history, like the last couple years.
(12-11-2021, 10:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 08:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: I could not find the old thread. This year instead of firing up the pellet stove I have been heating my house with a small 1500 watt heater.

I used one of those little oil radiator like heaters last year. It really cranked out the heat and I really like the kind of radiant heat it gives.  But, looking at the electricity bills, I see a big increase in the electricity usage. Sad  I like that kind of heat. I dislike forced air heat.  So, I haven't used it this year.
That  oil radiator heater is 1500 watts it puts out the same amount of heat as any other 1500 watt heater so it costs the same to run.
If you haven't used your forced air heat then what are you using?
(12-12-2021, 04:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That  oil radiator heater is 1500 watts it puts out the same amount of heat as any other 1500 watt heater so it costs the same to run.

I'm only used the forced air this year.
Though, I'm considering getting the oil heater out.
(12-10-2021, 11:52 PM)All I care about if the Scrapper Wrote: We've been running ours for awhile now.

If you did not spring for the non-ethanol gas and filled it with the regular gas at the pumps it's turned to shit and gummed up your fuel system/carb. You will need to completely go through the carb. Or sell it it to me for $200 and I'll do it Wink Razz 

I never EVER put regular gas from the pump in any of my small engines, unless you are dedicated to completely draining them for the season it WILL FOUL it by spring. On the flip side, using only NON-Ethanol I never drain anything and from from mower to chainsaw to generator everything fires right up when I need it to.
We almost exclusively heat with wood, been starting fires pretty regular since Oct. Which works great for most the house but our back bedroom can get downright chilly, for the first time we have been running one of those fake fireplace heaters in there to take the chill off on cold nights, not all night maybe an hour at the most. A typical power bill is $130 range not sure what impact the heater will have but eh, small price to pay for the wife to be warm Big Grin
(12-12-2021, 10:25 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Have you ever looked at your Pacific power account and checked out the bar graphs? You could run your oil heater for one day and then run the forced air for one day and compare the costs.
Assuming the weather is practically the same. I would look at the usage late at night when you are sleeping and not using hot water or a dryer or range etc.
(12-13-2021, 08:47 AM)GPnative Wrote:

If you did not spring for the non-ethanol gas and filled it with the regular gas at the pumps it's turned to shit and gummed up your fuel system/carb. You will need to completely go through the carb. Or sell it it to me for $200 and I'll do it Wink Razz 

I never EVER put regular gas from the pump in any of my small engines, unless you are dedicated to completely draining them for the season it WILL FOUL it by spring. On the flip side, using only NON-Ethanol I never drain anything and from from mower to chainsaw to generator everything fires right up when I need it to.
The Generator came with gas already in it. I Bought it used it's
 a Honda EU2000I . I think I paid 600 bucks. But yes I'm fully aware of what today's gas does to SOME small engines.
I have fixed a few small engines that were clogged. Some times they are only partially clogged and will run ONLY if the choke is on.
In that case I add Sea Foam and just let it run and sometimes it will clean out the varnished gas. You can tell because all of a sudden the engine stalls. Like it's supposed to do with the choke on.

Also some times the new carb you have to buy is actually very cheap. I got a carb for a weed eater last summer on line and it was 20 bucks.

As far as selling it for 200 .. no deal LOL[Image: carb.jpg]
(12-13-2021, 03:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Have you ever looked at your Pacific power account and checked out the bar graphs? You could run your oil heater for one day and then run the forced air for one day and compare the costs.
Assuming the weather is practically the same. I would look at the usage late at night when you are sleeping and not using hot water or a dryer or range etc.

By the DAY?  No, dear, I haven't.  Maybe I should, but I have trouble remembering where I set my phone down...so....no, I haven't.
(12-13-2021, 09:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 10:43 PM)Juniper Wrote: I used one of those little oil radiator like heaters last year. It really cranked out the heat and I really like the kind of radiant heat it gives.  But, looking at the electricity bills, I see a big increase in the electricity usage. Sad  I like that kind of heat. I dislike forced air heat.  So, I haven't used it this year.

By the DAY?  No, dear, I haven't.  Maybe I should, but I have trouble remembering where I set my phone down...so....no, I haven't.

Do you have a PC? Desk top or lap top?

That's what I use to access PP&L This is for 24 hours. You can see I had no heat on at all from 6am to about noon. And before that I was using about 15 to 20 cents an hour. Anyway this info we get from smart meters is awesome. OK I'm a nerd LOL

[Image: PPL-power-x.jpg]
(12-14-2021, 04:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-13-2021, 09:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 04:41 PM)tvguy Wrote: That  oil radiator heater is 1500 watts it puts out the same amount of heat as any other 1500 watt heater so it costs the same to run.

Do you have a PC? Desk top or lap top?

That's what I use to access PP&L This is for 24 hours. You can see I had no heat on at all from 6am to about noon. And before that I was using about 15 to 20 cents an hour. Anyway this info we get from smart meters is awesome. OK I'm a nerd LOL

[Image: PPL-power-x.jpg]
lovely, I'll maybe have time for this some day.  I'm not too savvy with computers...I'm still trying to comfortable with the website of my new job.
Guess what's being installed today?!?!  Big Grin

[Image: e30482f52f64d6922ad39ca79167a208.jpg]

[Image: 830aa7180c3a01a1acff90af0a38ee92.jpg]

(12-17-2021, 11:28 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Guess what's being installed today?!?!  Big Grin

A new heat pump? Or did you not have one before? Kohler makes top of the line stuff.
(12-17-2021, 06:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-17-2021, 11:28 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Guess what's being installed today?!?!  Big Grin

A new heat pump? Or did you not have one before? Kohler makes top of the line stuff.

My guess would be Generac Backup Generator.  Good guess too, considering she already told us they were getting one. (It may be a different BRAND.. not sure)

It's our generator.

(12-17-2021, 07:01 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

My guess would be Generac Backup Generator.  Good guess too, considering she already told us they were getting one. (It may be a different BRAND.. not sure)
Kohler

(12-17-2021, 11:05 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

It's our generator.

OH yeah I forgot you said you were getting one. Nice. Do you have an automatic transfer switch in the garage. And I guess it's in the middle of the sidewalk because of some code?