$4.20 gas in Eugene
420 gas in Eugene, who could have guessed? Surprised http://www.kval.com/news/business/Pain-a...67115.html

$4.20: Gas prices in Eugene top Oregon and US averages

Excerpt: "OK, drivers: what's the difference between $3.73 and $4.20 per gallon for gas?

a. 47 cents

b. the amount Eugene motorists are paying for a gallon of gas, above the national average.

c. All of the above

How do you like that?

"It's definitely hard," said Isabella Haitsma of Eugene, Ore. "Takes most of my paycheck."

Gas prices are soaring in Oregon but holding steady in the rest of the county.

Why are Oregon and Northwest drivers feeling so much pain at the pump?

A motorcyclist Monday at the 76 station at 29th and Willamette, told KVAL, "To be honest, I don't think about it that much; it's just the way it is."

Average Eugene retail prices climbed 19 cents last week to an average $4.20 a gallon.

That's 3-cents above the state average price for unleaded and it's 23 cents per gallon higher than the same week one year ago.

Several Eugene stations have basic unleaded prices near $4.50 a gallon.

Supply experts say the West Coast is getting hammered because several gas-making refineries are out of commission, including a big one in Washington State.

"No matter how many refineries are down it means a drop in production," said Patrick DeHaan, Senior Petroleum Analyst at GasBuddy.com. "Unfortunately, with the peak summer driving season, any drop in production is noticeable."

DeHaan said lower supplies mean higher prices at the pump.

One constant: taxes. On top of state and federal taxes per gallon, Eugene collects 8 cents per gallon sold. Roseburg and North Bend both have prices under $4 a gallon but the lowest price you'll find in Eugene is $4.07

"I thought it's alright; it's just gas, it won't be too bad. I'll fill it up every 2 weeks and I'll be fine. No, it's pretty bad," said Haitsma, who told KVAL she just started driving again after depending mostly on the bus to get around.

"The people that are unemployed and have been for a long time, they're the ones that are hurting I think, so my heart goes out to them," said driver Darlene Kline-Dolby.

Stuck in between the price signs and the petrol, is your local station manager, Liz Stringer, who told KVAL News, "Customer service brings them back."

The analyst DeHaan said gas prices east of the Rockies are still dropping, but West Coast production is at the mercy of the refineries and how soon they return to full production.
As a side note, it does seem like it would be in west coast refineries best interests to always keep one refinery down, being as that keeps us all constantly paying higher prices.
It was Shell's Nigerian "Dusters" that got us into Iraq. We might have asked for some slight consideration, before we got all these kids killed.
Quote:On top of state and federal taxes per gallon, Eugene collects 8 cents per gallon sold

There is our answer to the counties finacial woes.
If only Mark had championed this idea, he might have gotten 4%.