'Big Brother' Streetlamps?
I'm not usually a big Alex Jones fan, but I appreciate his comment at the end

======================

[Image: i274d715df067e49d2c166a19a2d30b29_intellistreets.n.jpg]

America welcomes a new brand of smart street lightning systems: energy-efficient, long-lasting, complete with LED screens to show ads. They can also spy on citizens in a way George Orwell would not have imagined in his worst nightmare.

­With a price tag of $3,000+ apiece, according to an ABC report, the street lights are now being rolled out in Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh, and may soon mushroom all across the country.

Part of the Intellistreets systems made by the company Illuminating Concepts, they have a number of “homeland security applications” attached.

Each has a microprocessor “essentially similar to an iPhone,” capable of wireless communication. Each can capture images and count people for the police through a digital camera, record conversations of passers-by and even give voice commands thanks to a built-in speaker.

Ron Harwood, president and founder of Illuminating Concepts, says he eyed the creation of such a system after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the Hurricane Katrina disaster. He is “working with Homeland Security” to deliver his dream of making people “more informed and safer.”

“The system represents Big Brother on steroids,” commented the website InfoWars.com, which sees Intellistreets as a major threat to privacy.

http://rt.com/news/big-brother-street-lamps-286/
And energy efficient, too. Smiling
(05-15-2012, 01:06 PM)PonderThis Wrote: And energy efficient, too. Smiling

Boy howdy!
Alex Jones is an entertainer and conspiracy theorist. How do you trust anything he says? He's out to make money by running his mouth. If you seriously think a street light with a camera is a threat to your privacy WHILE YOU ARE IN THE STREET then you aren't using logic.

First of all what in the hell are you worried about being seen doing IN THE STREET?:wacko:

Secondly maybe you don't know this but there are already millions of surveillance cameras on privately owned buildings that film YOU all the time.
It's VERY common for police to use those videos to solve crimes. You know the things that criminals do to innocent people LIKE YOU.

As a matter of fact an armed bank robber was just arrested and is now off the street thanks to video cameras in talent.
And it puts union electricians to work, too. Smiling
Not too long ago a speeding semi truck was captured by surveillance cameras and the video was used to prove the truck driver was reckless and at fault.
This means the victim was able to win and receive a much need settlement.

I've seen dozens or maybe hundreds of incidents where video surveillance was used to convict and take dangerous people off of our streets.
How many people do I know that were negative affected by the same???
NONE
(05-15-2012, 01:21 PM)PonderThis Wrote: And it puts union electricians to work, too. Smiling

That tooBig Grin. I amazed at the price given , 3000 bucks?, that's very very cheap for all that it does. maybe that's a mistake.
How many people have gotten photo red light or photo radar tickets??? I suppose they all liked the experience. Smiling
(05-15-2012, 01:27 PM)PonderThis Wrote: How many people have gotten photo red light or photo radar tickets??? I suppose they all liked the experience. Smiling

Good point. I wasn't thinking about traffic cameras and I don't think that is what these streetlight things are for.

But even in your example a traffic crime was still solved. Someone gets ticketed for speeding or running a red light so that make the streets safer for all of us.
That's what they like to say. It doesn't have my approval though, and they never gave me a chance to vote on it, either. Smiling
Just for example, suppose I was married and having an affair. I get a photo radar ticket in the mail and my wife opens up the ticket and I'm busted when I said I was somewhere else. OK, so I'm a sleazy bastard. My privacy has still just been violated, to supposedly make your streets safer.
(05-15-2012, 02:07 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Just for example, suppose I was married and having an affair. I get a photo radar ticket in the mail and my wife opens up the ticket and I'm busted when I said I was somewhere else. OK, so I'm a sleazy bastard. My privacy has still just been violated, to supposedly make your streets safer.

My God are you serious?Laughing the the stupidest, lamest contrived digging the bottom of the barrel desperate reason to make a case against traffic cameras I have ever see.LaughingLaughing
But you are right your privacy was violated, when your wife opened up YOUR mail. If you can't trust her you should have gotten a PO box.

You think that's contrived. OK, suppose I'm a terrorist, with an expectation of privacy via my Constitutional rights... Smiling
And it amazes me that you think camers "supposedly" make out streets safer?

I don't see how a rational person can think differently. I don't know many people who are not more careful about not running red lights or speeding AFTER they were caught and ticketed.
And if people are more careful than yes indeedy the streets are safer.
(05-15-2012, 02:20 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You think that's contrived. OK, suppose I'm a terrorist, with an expectation of privacy via my Constitutional rights... Smiling

Big Grin
(05-15-2012, 01:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: Alex Jones is an entertainer and conspiracy theorist. How do you trust anything he says? He's out to make money by running his mouth. If you seriously think a street light with a camera is a threat to your privacy WHILE YOU ARE IN THE STREET then you aren't using logic.

[thread jack]The Google street picture taking car came down our street about an hour ago.. [/thread jack]
Good way to catch muggers, bank robbers, etc....and people picking their noses, lol!
A system, like this, might have snared Helen Chenowith, on one of her trips to get laid.
If you see me standing around talking to a street light, don't think I'm crazy.