Does Facebook Turn Us Into Narcissists?
I don't think so. I love seeing what my friends are up to. And I love the political commentary and events calendar. I love all the C&P's some of you hate so vehemently. A picture is worth a thousand words. Big Grin

============================

[Image: 20well-tmagArticle.jpg]

Last month, a study of 233 Facebook-using college students by researchers at the University of North Carolina Wilmington and the University of Hartford took a different approach. Were the students primarily writing self-promoting status updates? Or were they interested in others, clicking “likes” and posting comments on friends’ pages? How many Facebook friends did they collect?

In addition to measuring narcissism (Do you like being the center of attention or blending in with the crowd?), the researchers also measured a student’s sense of privacy. (Do you share information with a wide circle of friends or value your privacy?) The researchers found, to their surprise, that frequency of Facebook use, whether it was for personal status updates or to connect with friends, was not associated with narcissism. Narcissism per se was associated with only one type of Facebook user — those who amassed unrealistically large numbers of Facebook friends.

Instead, frequent Facebook users were more likely to score high on “openness” and were less concerned about privacy. So what seems like self-promoting behavior may just reflect a generation growing up in the digital age, where information — including details about personal lives — flows freely and connects us.

“It’s a huge oversimplification to say Facebook is for narcissists,” said Lynne Kelly, director of the school of communication at the University of Hartford and one of the study’s authors. “You share information about yourself on Facebook as a way to maintain relationships.”

The social medium of choice for the self-absorbed appears to be Twitter. The researchers found an association between tweeting about oneself and high narcissism scores. That finding alone, I think, is worth tweeting about

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/17...rcissists/
Facebook is evil .
I like Facebook. I love being able to stay in touch with my family and friends. Being able to see my cousins in San Diego, Oklahoma or Virginia... and their families as they grow. I love the funny C&P stuff that makes me literally LOL. Two icky creepy stalkers can't scare me away from Facebook.
Anyone buy a piece of Facebook today?
(05-18-2012, 04:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Anyone buy a piece of Facebook today?

[Image: 543028_363860047007523_138763606183836_1...6530_n.jpg]

I thought about it but I didn't. It did about what I thought it would. Finished about even after some suckers bought in at 44. Hope they didn't buy too many shares. The real truth will come out at 90 and 180 days when the original stock holders (pre-IPO) will be able to dump what they have gotten.

I predict it will either stay even or bust. Nothing to be made there unless you want to day trade and watch it minute by minute.

Facebook sinks as Nasdaq scrambles to square trades

(Reuters) - Facebook shares sank on Monday in the first day of trading without the full support of the company's underwriters, leaving some investors down 25 percent from where they were Friday afternoon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/2...op+News%29

was going to invest until oblama supported it. Just like everything else he he touches it turned to shit.
[Image: 57420963969363763_QvdC7th1_f.jpg]
Amazing! Facebook wasn't in existence when we got married...but, know what, I'd probably do this too. Laughing Embarrassed
===============

A new online survey by David's Bridal shows that nearly half of brides would (or did) change their Facebook relationship statuses to "married" in between their wedding ceremony and reception.

Yes, that's right. In the wake of tearful vows and the first kiss as husband and wife, the receiving line, the bustling of the dress and the cocktail-hour photography session, brides are unearthing their smartphones from their mini bridal purses to digitally alert everyone -- both those attending the wedding and those were who were not even invited -- that they have indeed crossed-over from Miss to Mrs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/natasha-bu...43411.html
Sinking again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/3...op+News%29