PSA for Grants Pass Drivers
May 23rd through the 28th, deputies from the Josephine County Sheriff's Office will join law enforcement agencies throughout Oregon in the "Click It or Ticket" Three Flags Safety Belt Enforcement campaign.

The primary goals of the grant-funded program are to increase public awareness of safety belt laws and, consequently, reduce traffic injuries and deaths.

Deputies will focus on safety belt and booster seat violations, but they will also be watching for drivers who are speeding or driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs.

Particular attention will be given to 6th and 7th Streets in downtown Grants Pass, but deputies will also be working in other areas throughout the county.

Drivers who transport children are asked to familiarize themselves with Oregon's child restraint laws, which state that:
*Children under 40 pounds must be restrained in a child safety seat.
*Children under one year old or under twenty pounds must be restrained in a rear-facing child seat.
*Children over 40 pounds but under eight years old or shorter than 4'9" must be restrained in a booster seat that elevates him or her from the car seat so that the shoulder belt can fit properly.

Proper use is required by Oregon law and means using the entire belt system, with the lap belt placed low across the hips and a shoulder belt over the collarbone and crossing the center of the chest. Belts should be free of slack and lying flat with no twists or knots. If necessary, slide the attachment on the door post up or down to fit the size of your passenger. Shoulder belts should not be placed under the arm or behind the back; this can cause serious internal injuries or ejection in the event of a crash.

Unbelted or improperly belted passengers are much more likely to be ejected during a crash. Chances of surviving an ejection are less than 25%.

One-third of children who were killed or injured in Oregon crashes were either using adult safety belt systems or were completely unrestrained.

The fine for any seat belt violation in Oregon is $110.00.

According to USDOT, safety belt use is the most effective way to reduce fatalities in motor vehicle crashes. Statewide crash fatality and injury rates have dropped 44% and 49% respectively since the passage of the adult belt law in 1990.

This safety belt blitz is funded by a Three Flags grant. Three Flags is a program of ODOT's Transportation Safety Division and "seeks to reduce the number of motor vehicle-related deaths and injuries by increasing public awareness of laws regarding the three most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crash injuries: safety restraint use, speed, and impaired drivers."

Three Flags derives its name from a prior effort between Oregon, Washington and British Columbia that lasted from 1993 to 2004. For more information on Oregon Three Flags, visit www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/safetybelts.shtml.
This doesn't do much for the contention that you guys need those deputies if they are going to do seatbelt stings.
(05-21-2012, 07:58 AM)bbqboy Wrote: This doesn't do much for the contention that you guys need those deputies if they are going to do seatbelt stings.

It's to fulfill the requirements for the grant money they received to do it. I'll edit the OP to add the whole announcement.
This still illustrates what's wrong with our system of federal funding of cops through grants and "bribes".
Even without grants the County will prosecute crimes and infractions that make them money. Someone posted a KATU link out of Portland that gave a more honest account of what crimes would be prosecuted in light of the tax levy failure. If I did not know better, I would think the list was prioritized based on potential revenue the County could reasonably expect to make. Domestic violence over at the Felony Flats Apartments with a few slaps and kicks, no way Jose. DUIs, hell yes; there is a lot of money to be made there.
(05-21-2012, 10:24 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Even without grants the County will prosecute crimes and infractions that make them money. Someone posted a KATU link out of Portland that gave a more honest account of what crimes would be prosecuted in light of the tax levy failure. If I did not know better, I would think the list was prioritized based on potential revenue the County could reasonably expect to make. Domestic violence over at the Felony Flats Apartments with a few slaps and kicks, no way Jose. DUIs, hell yes; there is a lot of money to be made there.

They don't make money off of tickets unless we have a magistrate. Which we don't have. All fines go to the state coffers.
(05-21-2012, 12:43 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-21-2012, 10:24 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Even without grants the County will prosecute crimes and infractions that make them money. Someone posted a KATU link out of Portland that gave a more honest account of what crimes would be prosecuted in light of the tax levy failure. If I did not know better, I would think the list was prioritized based on potential revenue the County could reasonably expect to make. Domestic violence over at the Felony Flats Apartments with a few slaps and kicks, no way Jose. DUIs, hell yes; there is a lot of money to be made there.

They don't make money off of tickets unless we have a magistrate. Which we don't have. All fines go to the state coffers.

You are correct. I believe all money is sent to the state and disbursed to all the counties.

(05-21-2012, 07:16 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote:

You are correct. I believe all money is sent to the state and disbursed to all the counties.
You are both wrong. When a city or county court imposes a fine from a ticket written by local police for a violation of state law, the local court submits the states portion to them and keeps an amount for the local jurisdiction. And when the state cops write a ticket: Well, here is an excerpt from the State of Oregon website:

"The state funds some law enforcement officers and courts. All counties have law enforcement officers (sheriffs); some have their own courts that handle traffic citations (justice courts). Cities have police officers and some have their own courts that handle traffic citations (municipal courts). For example, if a State Police trooper cites a driver to state circuit court, the entire fine goes to the state because the state funds both the State Police and the state circuit courts. If the trooper cites a driver to justice court, the fine is split between the state and the county."
(05-21-2012, 08:01 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

You are both wrong. When a city or county court imposes a fine from a ticket written by local police for a violation of state law, the local court submits the states portion to them and keeps an amount for the local jurisdiction. And when the state cops write a ticket: Well, here is an excerpt from the State of Oregon website:

"The state funds some law enforcement officers and courts. All counties have law enforcement officers (sheriffs); some have their own courts that handle traffic citations (justice courts). Cities have police officers and some have their own courts that handle traffic citations (municipal courts). For example, if a State Police trooper cites a driver to state circuit court, the entire fine goes to the state because the state funds both the State Police and the state circuit courts. If the trooper cites a driver to justice court, the fine is split between the state and the county."

I read the reason why traffic fine monies was sent to the state was to keep the counties from writing bogus tickets just to fund the counties. I read this somewhere because of the little town of Coburg outside of Eugene having a speed trap for that very reason. It was mentioned in the article. This was a few years ago and I will try and find the story. But it makes sense that the county would keep a fraction of the money.

(05-21-2012, 08:21 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote:
(05-21-2012, 08:01 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

I read the reason why traffic fine monies was sent to the state was to keep the counties from writing bogus tickets just to fund the counties. I read this somewhere because of the little town of Coburg outside of Eugene having a speed trap for that very reason. It was mentioned in the article. This was a few years ago and I will try and find the story.
It doesn't matter what you remember reading, you are mistaken (no offence intended). Here is one site that explains the law. I can research and post the applicable ORS if you still think you are right.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/FAQ_Citations.shtml
I was going on what the Sheriff mention many years ago.
Don't bother researching. It's not the first time I was wrong. That's just what i believed.
Let the ticket writing begin!
But wait! How can they write tickets when there's no patrols to do it?
Maybe they should make less jail time laws and more pay a fine law.

$1000 first drunk driving
$2000 for the next
$3000 for all after that.

$2000 fine for meth manufacturing

$5000 fine for robbery
$10,000 if you use a gun (double if you kill someone)

Of course if you hand a homeless man, anything from you car, well that should be jail time.

(05-21-2012, 09:33 PM)chuck white Wrote: Maybe they should make less jail time laws and more pay a fine law.

$1000 first drunk driving
$2000 for the next
$3000 for all after that.

$2000 fine for meth manufacturing

$5000 fine for robbery
$10,000 if you use a gun (double if you kill someone)

Of course if you hand a homeless man, anything from you car, well that should be jail time.

But what if they don't pay? They won't put them in jail. I'm all for public stockades and put a basket of switches next to the offender. Let the public take care of them... =)

(05-21-2012, 09:42 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: But what if they don't pay? They won't put them in jail. I'm all for public stockades and put a basket of switches next to the offender. Let the public take care of them... =)

We roll them into student loans.
$20,000 to kill someone might seem like a bargain to some, and $2,000 seems like an outright bargain to make meth, too. Plus, how do you collect money from some of these guys?

Yesterday I watched a guy come out of the Social Services building who looked about my age, much scruffier than me (some of you will like that part!) in a Harley Davidson printed thing around his head, and wandered around the parking lot looking in cars - he looked like he was going to approach me a couple of times, but I was eating a sandwich with my dog in the truck, and not too many people like to cross Oscar and he sort of looks like it, too, so he didn't. I was sitting there wondering, how would you ever collect a dime from this guy? I think the only options might have to be something other than financial for people like that, although I don't know enough about criminal justice to say for sure.
Make work welfare for sheriffs. This is assinine, and ODOT is funneling money away from fixing it's roads, and toward fixing a problem The Timbermen's Private Army is suffering from.
Maybe ODOT could subsidize anger management training. For our safety, on the roads.
(05-22-2012, 02:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: $20,000 to kill someone might seem like a bargain to some, and $2,000 seems like an outright bargain to make meth, too. Plus, how do you collect money from some of these guys?

Yesterday I watched a guy come out of the Social Services building who looked about my age, much scruffier than me (some of you will like that part!) in a Harley Davidson printed thing around his head, and wandered around the parking lot looking in cars - he looked like he was going to approach me a couple of times, but I was eating a sandwich with my dog in the truck, and not too many people like to cross Oscar and he sort of looks like it, too, so he didn't. I was sitting there wondering, how would you ever collect a dime from this guy? I think the only options might have to be something other than financial for people like that, although I don't know enough about criminal justice to say for sure.

I'm very proud of your dog!
He was actually able to divert his attention from your sandwich enough to give a look to the guy!
He's a good boy....I bet he was salivating over the sandwich, though. Laughing