Daughter ‘Begged’ for Spanking Instead
[Image: ht_reshonda_child_kb_120521_wblog.jpg]

At first, it might seem like your typical case of modern parental discipline: A Texas mom has prohibited her 12-year-old daughter from using the photo-sharing site Instagram after she caught the girl posting a photo of herself holding an unopened bottle of vodka with a caption that read “I sure wish I could drink this.”

But it’s what ReShonda Tate Billingsley did next that has people buzzing: Billinglsey, a prominent Houston-area author, had her daughter post a new picture of herself to Instagram earlier this month holding a sign reading, “Since I want to post photos of me holding liquor, I am obviously not ready for social media and will be taking a hiatus until I learn what I should (and) should not post. Bye-bye.”

Billingsley then posted the same photo – in which only the lower half of her daughter’s face was visible – to her own personal Facebook page and it has since gone viral. It has seen 11,000 shares from Facebook alone, not to mention attention from various media outlets.

Billingsley told ABCNews.com that in the past, she had warned her daughter, who does not have her own Facebook account, to be careful about what she posted to the photo-sharing site and was surprised to see the vodka photo.

“I thought she knew better, but in her mind, she thought, ‘I’m not drinking, what’s the problem?’” Billingsley said. What the girl didn’t realize, she said, was that the photo might still send the wrong message to a future employer or prove attractive to a predator, who “can see it and think this is a little girl who likes to drink.”

Rest of story:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/20...o-instead/
Control freak parents. This girl will probably rebel soon, and the parents will wonder where such perfect parents went wrong.
(05-21-2012, 02:01 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Control freak parents. This girl will probably rebel soon, and the parents will wonder where such perfect parents went wrong.

I can understand the mother's chagrin, really I can.
But and it's a big but, embarrassing a teenager in front of their friends is the worst kind of humiliation possible.
Surely, it could have been 'handled' in house and off the radar.
I think the mom is getting some kind of perverse pleasure in all the attention, myself.
I think she is a great mother.
With a name like ReShonda Tate Billingsley, how could you do anything else but become an author?
And yes, I think that will be a memorable life lesson kids need to learn about social media.
I just downloaded this Norton site that allows you to monitor with your child how they use the computer. We just started tonight but I'm already impressed with how it works. As she visits a new site, Norton screens it for the information sharing capability and emails me with a link to the site to approve or deny access. This allows me to look at the site as well as look at it together to remind her not to share personal info. She likes these flying bird games where you are the bird, but because you can also chat with the other bird kids Big Grin I needed to OK it before she could play.

https://onlinefamily.norton.com/familysa...inStart.fs?
You play, you pay...good job momma!
(05-21-2012, 04:28 PM)Crazylace Wrote: With a name like ReShonda Tate Billingsley, how could you do anything else but become an author?
And yes, I think that will be a memorable life lesson kids need to learn about social media.

(05-21-2012, 07:16 PM)broadzilla Wrote: You play, you pay...good job momma!

I agree that it is a good life lesson. I remember once when I stole a piece of Brach's candy and got caught at home. I begged my dad to spank me instead of the punishment he gave me. To return the candy and apologize. It was awful and humiliating but I never stole again.
I think the mother did very well indeed. Shows she cares a lot more than most on facebook that I've seen..
I am in total agreement the young lady gave a message that could be misconstrued.

I can understand the revoking of her social media privileges for a time.

But, I'm an old person and I still remember some of the ways my mom humiliated me in front of my friends and how it felt.
As adults, we laugh to ourselves and say: "That'll teach her."
It teaches her something we don't want her to learn.
That making our point is more important than her.

There is often a need for discipline, especially in a social media situation..but..IMO..shaming and embarrassing your child is not discipline.
I'm not sure what to call it, but put yourself in your daughter's shoes and go walk down the hallway at school.