OMG..Aspartame Is Truly Evil
(05-24-2012, 06:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote: OK. I barely glanced at the picture/graphic though. So, that didn't work too well. It was the text and citations I asked about. But, why would you post a sensationalist rant, if you knew it was that, and not something more objective? My first reaction is to question it precisely because of it's presentation. Just wondering. A more objective source might have had the effect of being informative. Why not something more citable?

Why does anyone post anything?
I was scrolling through Facebook, saw it and shared it.
Grist for the mill, as it were.
-edited to add- so far, the thread has 122 hits and 20 replies.

I guess I got the facts wrong, it was mice not rabbits they it tested on.

Quote:a professor in the department of psychiatry, School of Medicine, Washington University, a neuroscientist and researcher, and one of the world's foremost authorities on excitotoxins. (He informed Searle in 1971 that aspartic acid caused holes in the brain of mice.)
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame...candal.htm

Quote:On January 21, 1981, the day after Ronald Reagan's inauguration, Searle re-applied to the FDA for approval to use aspartame in food sweetener, and Reagan's new FDA commissioner, Arthur Hayes Hull, Jr., appointed a 5-person Scientific Commission to review the board of inquiry's decision.

It soon became clear that the panel would uphold the ban by a 3-2 decision, but Hull then installed a sixth member on the commission, and the vote became deadlocked. He then personally broke the tie in aspartame's favor. Hull later left the FDA under allegations of impropriety, served briefly as Provost at New York Medical College, and then took a position with Burston-Marsteller, the chief public relations firm for both Monsanto and GD Searle. Since that time he has never spoken publicly about aspartame.
http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm
(05-24-2012, 07:07 PM)Clone Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 06:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote: OK. I barely glanced at the picture/graphic though. So, that didn't work too well. It was the text and citations I asked about. But, why would you post a sensationalist rant, if you knew it was that, and not something more objective? My first reaction is to question it precisely because of it's presentation. Just wondering. A more objective source might have had the effect of being informative. Why not something more citable?

I have noticed that a couple of members here seem to enjoy questioning others posts. I don't get it. Obviously we're all different. Some things may interest one person and not another. I don't see the problem with coming across something and sharing it here. I just don't get what the big deal is.
What I do know is that if I drink a diet coke within 20 minutes I have a migraine. Or any other drink with Aspartame in it. I can not use artificial sweetener either. Not sure why I get the headaches but I do check labels for the stuff now.
I was so excited when Splenda came out...it was supposed to be THE artificial sweetener answer. It was approved in Canada before the U.S., so I bought it online and had it shipped to me in NYC. I was baking with the stuff, putting it in my iced tea, buying product that said "Made with Splenda".

Now I'm figuring it's probably just as bad.

(05-24-2012, 07:42 PM)blondemom Wrote: What I do know is that if I drink a diet coke within 20 minutes I have a migraine. Or any other drink with Aspartame in it. I can not use artificial sweetener either. Not sure why I get the headaches but I do check labels for the stuff now.

Well, it could be the phenylanine. My nephew has PKU, the condition that specifically would be affected by using anything with aspertame in it. Or, it could just be toxic.
(05-24-2012, 07:33 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 07:07 PM)Clone Wrote:

I have noticed that a couple of members here seem to enjoy questioning others posts. I don't get it. Obviously we're all different. Some things may interest one person and not another. I don't see the problem with coming across something and sharing it here. I just don't get what the big deal is.

True, true, Scrapper. Although Clone was doing the same to Dunno not long ago. And you question Yeshuah's. Not just his content either. But that's not what you are talking about. But, yes, I will question something if it seems merited. I clearly said I didn't question the content but the source. That's a pretty common form of questioning on any forum.
(05-24-2012, 07:42 PM)blondemom Wrote: What I do know is that if I drink a diet coke within 20 minutes I have a migraine. Or any other drink with Aspartame in it. I can not use artificial sweetener either. Not sure why I get the headaches but I do check labels for the stuff now.

My sister has the same issue as do others I know.
(05-24-2012, 09:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote: \

Although Clone was doing the same to Dunno not long ago.

Oh, okay, now I get it.
Teach ME a lesson. Rolling Eyes
Fukitol.
Who died and left you in charge if dispensing justice or is it a self-appointed position?
On a thread about aspartame, for crying out loud.
I feel you are unfairly judging, for what it's worth.
Which, I realize isn't worth much in your book.
Clone is the victim once again. poor clone. WHY is everybody always pickin on CloneLaughingLaughing
(05-24-2012, 10:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: Clone is the victim once again. poor clone. WHY is everybody always pickin on CloneLaughingLaughing

I sure as hell don't know...there were several of you that pestered her much worse than I ever did.

I guess I'm speshall.
(05-24-2012, 09:28 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Well, it could be the phenylanine. My nephew has PKU, the condition that specifically would be affected by using anything with aspertame in it. Or, it could just be toxic.
The phenylanine occurs naturally in protein rich food and I do not have trouble with those.

But I do not even chew gum anymore because I would chew it and get a headache. I thought it had something to do with the way I chewed the gum. Well it was the DR that made the connection with the aspartame.
(05-25-2012, 08:10 AM)blondemom Wrote:

The phenylanine occurs naturally in protein rich food and I do not have trouble with those.

But I do not even chew gum anymore because I would chew it and get a headache. I thought it had something to do with the way I chewed the gum. Well it was the DR that made the connection with the aspartame.

My sister drank diet Pepsi daily for decades and died from bladder cancer at age 66, but she was also a very bitter woman so that probably had something to do with it demise too.

I could never even take a sip of artificiality sweetened foods or drink without a terrible taste in the mouth and that goes for corn syrup too. They just taste awful and can't imagine how anyone can tolerate them, but they do and probably shorten their lives by years.

Well, precisely. That's what aspartame is: an amino acid (protein) infusion. But some folks are sensitive to those. Now, how they get that, that might be completely horrendous and frankenstein-ish.

(FYI, phenylanine is present in nearly every food to some degree)
[Image: PhenylketonuricsContainsPhenylalanine.jpg]

Fooducate.com community member Skyler asks about a warning she saw on a pack of gum -

“Phenylketonurics – contains phenylalanine”

What is this? And what does it have to do with chewing gum? Or diet soda?

What you need to know:

1. Phenylalanine is an amino acid. Amino acids sounds scary, but they are actually the building blocks of protein.

2. Phenylalanine is actually an essential amino acid. This means the body cannot create any on its own, and thus must receive it as part of a diet, usually when consuming proteins.

3. So where can one find phenylalanine? In breast milk (for babies), and in most animal products (meat, dairy, eggs).

4. Oh, and in aspartame too. Yes, that cursed artificial sweetener breaks down into several components in our body, one of them being phenylalanine.

So what’s with the warning?

5. Turns out that one in 15,000 people in the world has a genetic disorder called Phenylketonuria. Their body can’t metabolize synthesize phenylalanine. As it builds up in the body, it causes all sorts of bad things to happen, such as mental retardation, seizures, and other brain damage.

6. People suffering from Phenylketonuria (or PKU) are called phenylketonurics. They need to constantly monitor their protein intake. They are also warned about consumption of products containing aspartame – hence the warning on labels – “Phenylketonurics – contains phenylalanine”.

7. If you don’t have PKU, you probably don’t need to worry about harmful health effects of phenylalanine. But that doesn’t mean that aspartame is healthy for you, or that diet drinks are a healthy choice. As for gum – choose those sweetened with Xylitol.

From............ http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/03/16/7-t...ft-drinks/
(05-25-2012, 11:50 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

Well, precisely. That's what aspartame is: an amino acid (protein) infusion. But some folks are sensitive to those. Now, how they get that, that might be completely horrendous and frankenstein-ish.

(FYI, phenylanine is present in nearly every food to some degree)
It may be like my codeine reaction, they (the medical professionals) do not consider it a true allergy because of the reaction I get. But the reaction is not good, most Dr. agree it is best that I avoid it.
Don't forget the L-aspartic acid when discussing the make up of aspartame: A sythesis of L-aspartic acid and phenylalanine.

[Image: aspartame.jpg]

No doubt the use of (GMO)bacteria is to produce the amino acids.

What is really at stake here is the use of GMO foods and the consumers right to know what they are consuming. GMO bill's have been defeated in the past. But it's coming up again. There is a new signature drive to require mandatory labeling of GMO products.

There has been some effort to ban GM agriculture here in Oregon. as well as the push to mandatory labeling. http://www.gmofreeoregon.org/ It's hard to make a choice if you aren't informed.

Another thing about aspartame, It breaks down when heated to formaldehyde. Never drink a diet soda that sat in a hot car.