Strange Happenings at John Edward's Trial
...lucky alternate juror... Razz
[Updated at 3:08 p.m. ET] The judge in former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards' federal corruption trial has ordered jurors to continue deliberations after they announced they had reached a verdict on only one of six counts.

The judge will soon issue an "Allen charge," which is essentially a request from the court for the jury to go back into deliberations and try again to reach a unanimous verdict on all counts.

[Updated at 2:55 p.m. ET] The prosecution has asked for the jury to go back in the jury room to deliberate. The defense has asked for a mistrial on the remaining counts.

The judge is taking a five minute recess on the matter. The judge has the option to issue an "Allen charge," which is essentially a request from the court for the jury to go back into deliberations and try again to reach a unanimous verdict on all counts.

What are the charges against John Edwards?

[Posted at 2:53 p.m. ET] The jury in the John Edwards trial has only reached a unanimous decision on one charge against John Edwards.

The group of jurors said that as of this moment they could only agree on the charge of illegal campaign contributions from Rachel "Bunny" Mellon. We do not know which way the jury decided on that count.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/31/ver...rds-trial/
Andy Borowitz:

The tragedy of John Edwards is that he ran for President when he should've just joined the Secret Service.Laughing
(05-31-2012, 12:32 PM)Clone Wrote: Andy Borowitz:

The tragedy of John Edwards is that he ran for President when he should've just joined the Secret Service.Laughing

Laughing
Cletus Predicts--not guilty. Come on, anyone want to argue about it before the verdict is in. That's what we do here right? Smiling
(05-31-2012, 09:13 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Cletus Predicts--not guilty. Come on, anyone want to argue about it before the verdict is in. That's what we do here right? Smiling

I think it was ruled a mistrial.
If I'm wrong, I'll be back quickly.
John Edwards appeared thankful outside the federal courthouse in Greensboro, N.C., on Thursday, after the jury in his corruption trial said that it could not agree on a verdict for five of six counts, forcing U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles to declare a mistrial.

The one count the 12-member jury agreed on--count three--was related to $725,000 given to Edwards by Rachel "Bunny" Mellon, a wealthy Texas heiress. The jury found Edwards not guilty of that count.

"I think those jurors were an examplar for what juries are supposed to do in this country," Edwards, a former attorney, said. "They were very, very impressive."

Earlier Thursday, Eagles asked the jury to continue deliberations and come to a unanimous decision on the remaining five counts, but the jury returned without one.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/john-...30275.html
(05-31-2012, 09:26 PM)Clone Wrote: John Edwards appeared thankful outside the federal courthouse in Greensboro, N.C., on Thursday, after the jury in his corruption trial said that it could not agree on a verdict for five of six counts, forcing U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles to declare a mistrial.

The one count the 12-member jury agreed on--count three--was related to $725,000 given to Edwards by Rachel "Bunny" Mellon, a wealthy Texas heiress. The jury found Edwards not guilty of that count.

"I think those jurors were an examplar for what juries are supposed to do in this country," Edwards, a former attorney, said. "They were very, very impressive."

Earlier Thursday, Eagles asked the jury to continue deliberations and come to a unanimous decision on the remaining five counts, but the jury returned without one.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/john-...30275.html
Thanks. I missed that news story. Woohoo for John Edwards.