After protest, Amazon workers finally get AC
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...lly-get-ac

Excerpt: "When protesters at Amazon.com's (AMZN) annual meeting blasted the e-commerce giant for subjecting warehouse workers to triple-digit temperatures, company executives were the ones feeling the heat.

CEO Jeff Bezos announced that the company will spend $52 million adding air-conditioning to its network of warehouses, the Seattle Times reported and Amazon spokeswoman Mary Osako confirmed via email. (The company did not provide any additional comment.)

Amazon was criticized last year after a local newspaper in Pennsylvania reported how workers at its warehouse there had to endure heat indexes of 110 degrees in the summer months — sometimes for as little as $11 an hour.

"During summer heat waves, Amazon arranged to have paramedics parked in ambulances outside" in anticipation of workers succumbing to the blistering-hot conditions, the Morning Call wrote. On one June day alone, 15 workers collapsed from the heat..."
communist pussy workers.
If you can't take the heat, you shouldn't be in the Amazon.
Geeeze...paramedics w/ambulances stationed outside instead of just putting in A/C?
(05-27-2012, 12:02 PM)Clone Wrote: Geeeze...paramedics w/ambulances stationed outside instead of just putting in A/C?

You act like it was just a matter of sticking a couple AC's in the windowsLaughing It cost Amazon 52 million.

workers at its warehouse there had to endure heat indexes of 110 degrees in the summer months

OK two things. number one they didn't "have to endure anything" they could have just quit.
And B did anyone else get suspicious when they read the term "heat index" LaughingLaughing WTF IS THAT???TwitchTwitch

OK I looked it up. Apparently it's a bullshit way to make things sound worse than they really areLaughingLaughing

The heat index (HI) or humiture is an index that combines air temperature and relative humidity in an attempt to determine the human-perceived equivalent temperature — how hot it feels. The result is also known as the "felt air temperature" or "apparent temperature". For example, when the temperature is 90 °F (32 °C) with very high humidity, the heat index can be about 105 °F (41 °C).

So when will all the roofers and asphalt workers start protesting? Or anY of the other 50 gazillion people who work outside in the HEAT INDEXRazzRazz

Anyway I'm glad that this was a very successful company THAT ACTUALLY AFFORD TO AIR CONDITION A FREAKING WAREHOUSE. oPPS CAPS LOCK.
(05-27-2012, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-27-2012, 12:02 PM)Clone Wrote: Geeeze...paramedics w/ambulances stationed outside instead of just putting in A/C?

You act like it was just a matter of sticking a couple AC's in the windowsLaughing It cost Amazon 52 million.

workers at its warehouse there had to endure heat indexes of 110 degrees in the summer months

OK two things. number one they didn't "have to endure anything" they could have just quit.
And B did anyone else get suspicious when they read the term "heat index" LaughingLaughing WTF IS THAT???TwitchTwitch

OK I looked it up. Apparently it's a bullshit way to make things sound worse than they really areLaughingLaughing

The heat index (HI) or humiture is an index that combines air temperature and relative humidity in an attempt to determine the human-perceived equivalent temperature — how hot it feels. The result is also known as the "felt air temperature" or "apparent temperature". For example, when the temperature is 90 °F (32 °C) with very high humidity, the heat index can be about 105 °F (41 °C).

So when will all the roofers and asphalt workers start protesting? Or anY of the other 50 gazillion people who work outside in the HEAT INDEXRazzRazz

Anyway I'm glad that this was a very successful company THAT ACTUALLY AFFORD TO AIR CONDITION A FREAKING WAREHOUSE. oPPS CAPS LOCK.

I don't know about asphalt workers, but I never met a roofer that didn't drink beer on the job or that worked later than about 2:00 on any hot day either one.
(05-27-2012, 06:51 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(05-27-2012, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't know about asphalt workers, but I never met a roofer that didn't drink beer on the job or that worked later than about 2:00 on any hot day either one.

Well Amazon should have just bought all those whiners some beerRazz I Don't think you were ever in the main stream construction arena where people are trained. professionals or in unions and actually apply for and get permits.
So I have no doubt what you say is true.
Wimps, back in my day, working in the bakery, we used to have to sit in the ovens with the bread. It would be like 375 degrees for 1 hours. (that Fahrenheit, we didn't have no metric temperature back then ether)