Junteenth: Emancipation Day!
[Image: AfrCotton.JPG]

On June 19, 1865, Major General Gordon Granger stood on the balcony of Ashton Villa in Galveston, Texas, and read a special order from President Abraham Lincoln:
The people of Texas are informed that in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and free laborer. The freedmen are advised to remain at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts, and they will not be supported in idleness, either there or elsewhere.

Instantly, June 19, or Juneteenth for short, became a day of celebration and family reunions in Texas.

President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863. It seems hard to believe that it took two-and-a-half years for the news to reach Texas. An old folktale explains that President Lincoln sent the news from Washington by a Union soldier who rode all the way on a slow-moving mule. According to some historians, many slave owners in Texas were aware of the Emancipation Proclamation but refused to tell their slaves about it.

Juneteenth was celebrated in Texas until the late 1960s and early 1970s. The civil rights movement seemed to overshadow the holiday. But in the late 1970s, Juneteenth became a popular holiday again, and the tradition began to spread beyond the borders of Texas.

Source: Ideas for Entertaining from the African-American Kitchen, 1997 by Angela Shelf-Medearis.

SWEET POTATO BISCUITS
These biscuits can be eaten with a little
reduced-fat margarine or fruit spreads.

Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp reduced-fat margarine
1 cup mashed sweet potato
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1 cup skim milk
1 egg white

Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Using an electric mixer, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and margarine. Then, slowly mix in the sweet potatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and milk. Stir in the egg white.

On a lightly floured board, roll the dough out to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a biscuit cutter, cut the dough into 2-inch circles and place them on the baking sheet. Bake about 25 minutes or until they are firm in the center. Makes about 14 Biscuits.

Per Biscuit: 100 Cal; <1 g Total Fat; 20 g Carb; 00 mg Cholesterol; 290 mg Sodium; 3 g Protein. Exchanges: 1 Starch.

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
A few dashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce can be used instead of lemon juice to give these fried green tomatoes a spicier flavor.

6 large green tomatoes (about 3 pounds)
2 Tbsp lemon juice (or a few dashes of hot sauce)
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
nonstick cooking spray

Slice each tomato into 1/2-inch thick slices. Sprinkle the lemon juice or ht sauce on the tomatoes. Mix the cornmeal and black pepper in a plastic bag. Put tomato slices into the bag and shake well.

Coat a cast-iron skillet or nonstick sauté pan with nonstick cooking spray. Fry the tomatoes, over medium-high heat, until they are light brown on each side. Makes 4 Servings.

Per Serving: 105 Cal; 2 g Total Fat; 22 g Carb; 00 mg Cholesterol; 22 mg Sodium; 3 g Protein. Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Veg.

CLASSIC POTATO SALAD
A bowl of potato salad is traditionally on the menu for special
summer meals. This recipe can be prepared in larger
quantities by doubling or tripling the ingredients.

3 cups white potatoes, peeled, cooked and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/4 cup sliced scallions (green onions)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp ground white pepper

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, mixing well. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, to allow flavors to develop, before serving. Makes 4 Servings.

Per Serving: 180 Cal; <1 g Total Fat; 43 g Carb; 00 mg Cholesterol; 199 mg Sodium; 4 g Protein. Exchanges: 3 Starch.

More great healthy versions of soul food:
http://www.cinnamonhearts.com/junteenth.htm
Don't get me going on the emancipation proclamation. Lincoln was pretty bold. Freeing the slaves only in Southern states; it did not cover the nearly 500,000 slaves in the slave-holding border states (Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland or Delaware) which were Union states . He also changed the reason for the war when he did that.
(06-02-2012, 09:30 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Don't get me going on the emancipation proclamation. Lincoln was pretty bold. Freeing the slaves only in Southern states; it did not cover the nearly 500,000 slaves in the slave-holding border states (Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland or Delaware) which were Union states . He also changed the reason for the war when he did that.

I won't...I'm just posting about Juneteenth celebration and healthy approaches to soul food! Wink
ooops! Oh! It's a FOOD thread!Laughing Sorry!
FYI, Don't look now, but those aren't authentic recipes by a long shot!
(06-02-2012, 09:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote: ooops! Oh! It's a FOOD thread!Laughing Sorry!

Well, it DOES have 'Emancipation' in the title! Laughing
But, I guess, Junteenth started out a Texas thang.
(06-02-2012, 09:38 PM)Clone Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 09:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote: ooops! Oh! It's a FOOD thread!Laughing Sorry!

Well, it DOES have 'Emancipation' in the title! Laughing
But, I guess, Junteenth started out a Texas thang.

Those Texan's and their low fat margarine and balsamic vinegar!Rolling EyesBig Grin
(06-02-2012, 09:37 PM)Tiamat Wrote: FYI, Don't look now, but those aren't authentic recipes by a long shot!

Nope, not authentic in the least, but they sound tasty and healthy!
From the link:
Menus & Recipes

The down-home pleasures of soul food no longer have to be off-limits because of excess fat, cholesterol, sugar and salt. Wilbert Jones offers a new look at traditional African-American cuisine and provides contemporary versions of traditional foods -- all with an emphasis on fresh ingredients, leaner meats, egg whites, less (or no) oil, nonfat dairy products, less sodium and fewer calories.

The following menu is suggested in The New Soul Food Cookbook, 1996 by Wilbert Jones.
(06-02-2012, 09:44 PM)Clone Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 09:37 PM)Tiamat Wrote: FYI, Don't look now, but those aren't authentic recipes by a long shot!

Nope, not authentic in the least, but they sound tasty and healthy!
From the link:
Menus & Recipes

The down-home pleasures of soul food no longer have to be off-limits because of excess fat, cholesterol, sugar and salt. Wilbert Jones offers a new look at traditional African-American cuisine and provides contemporary versions of traditional foods -- all with an emphasis on fresh ingredients, leaner meats, egg whites, less (or no) oil, nonfat dairy products, less sodium and fewer calories.

The following menu is suggested in The New Soul Food Cookbook, 1996 by Wilbert Jones.

LaughingLaughing OK, I give. I've never been a huge soul food fan. But if I'm gonna have it I want the real deal!Wink
(06-02-2012, 09:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: LaughingLaughing OK, I give. I've never been a huge soul food fan. But if I'm gonna have it I want the real deal!Wink

Yep, we know how ya are. Laughing
(06-02-2012, 10:10 PM)Clone Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 09:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: LaughingLaughing OK, I give. I've never been a huge soul food fan. But if I'm gonna have it I want the real deal!Wink

Yep, we know how ya are. Laughing

Lard. the real thing. BTW, did you know that the Iron Skillet (?) an organic butcher at the growers market is selling leaf lard! Solid gold if you are a baker of any kind. I'm not. I only bake once or twice a year, and I use lard and it's lovely, but I'm sorely tempted and it's only like 3.80 a pound or something! Incredible! I must go get some. I think the guy told me they sell it in 5 pound blocks. Fantastic! I've gotta go get some....does lard freeze well? If it does, I think that will be my goal next Thursday. Hmmmm, not quite as satisfying as a pretty plant in my hand, but still, leaf lard!
Check this link out...tells you how to render the leaf lard and, yes, you can refrigerate it for a couple months or freeze it.

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009...-lard.html

For a long time I have felt that butter is so much more natural and healthier for us than margarine...and while I have no experience with lard, I've always heard it makes the best pie crusts.

Crisco is BAD STUFF.
When I found out a friend in NY used BUTTER FLAVOR CRISCO in her famous Christmas cookies I was insulted. Dry
A member of my family holds the bounty right for capturing The Alamo, and Santa Anna. An illiterate slave chaser, running from a horse thief's noose, with his horse thief partner, Col. Travis. They were part of a plot hatched in Florida, by removed Scotch Cherokee, to acquire Texas for a half breed slave state. The Carnses are still there. They'll law you to death, and then hand your body to another Carnes who disposes of remains. We did that for the timbermen of Southern Oregon, until they got the idea we were part Black ourselves. Then, they started killing us.