The Letter to Farmers by Chris Hardy
Dear Fellow Rogue Valley Farmer,

A situation has come to my attention that potentially threatens our livelihood and the future of every organic and conventional farmer in the Rogue Valley. Our small corner of the world has been discovered by Syngenta, a Swiss agribusiness corporation. Their representative told me they are growing genetically-engineered sugar beets for seed in plots up and down the valley, on both sides of the 5 freeway, from Ashland to Grants Pass. I don’t think it’s right for Syngenta to come here to grow their GMO seeds when growing them is outlawed in their own country of Switzerland!

Genetically-engineered organisms, sometimes called genetically- modified organisms (GMOs), are living things that have been artificially modified so that they contain genes from different species, and end up with something that would not occur in nature.

Earlier this year when we wanted to lease an additional field for our organic vegetable and seed operation, I discovered that a field on Normal Avenue in Ashland was to be planted with Syngenta’s GMO sugar beets. Our farm saves seeds as we select for robust local varieties, and we have a contract for certified organic chard seed this year. Needless to say, we did not rent that field!

However, the locations of all the other Syngenta fields are not
public information. Pollen drift happens; even Syngenta does not dispute that. So far it has been up to them to keep a buffer of at least four miles from other producers of beet and chard seed (per USDA- APHIS, under regulated GMO crop rules). But there is no list kept of who is saving seed in our valley! Are you? Do you know if a GMO plot is near your farm?

When GMO pollen contaminates organic crops, those crops are, by definition, no longer organic. This issue is also important for non- organic farmers. GMOs have been shown to sicken animals and humans, and there is a growing backlash against GMOs worldwide. At first, farmers believed Monsanto’s assurances that only farmers who bought GMO seed would have GMO crops. This, however, has been proven to be false. GMO contamination of conventional American corn and soybeans has been steadily on the rise, with no economically viable plan for stopping it. Any farmer who now buys conventional or organic seeds on the open market is vulnerable to being sued by Monsanto for patent infringement if they plant it, unknowingly breaching plant seed patents. In short, co-existence with GMOs is not feasible.

With the backlash against GMOs continuing to grow, more consumers are demanding non-GMO products. You can search online for “GMO Kashi” to see a recent example of this.

Furthermore, GMO Roundup Ready plants have invaded other farmers’ fields and become weeds. For instance, if Roundup Ready sugar beets showed up in your field of carrots, Roundup wouldn’t kill the invading GMO sugar beets. When contacted for help about this problem, Monsanto suggested removing the GMO weeds by hand. These issues are just the tip of the iceberg.

Because of the threat that GMOs pose to our farms and communities, I am a member of a group, GMO-Free Jackson County, that is working on an initiative petition for the November election to create an ordinance that would ban growing genetically engineered crops in Jackson County. Three counties in California were already successful in passing bans; it can work.

If you want to know more about GMOs you can visit our website: http://www.GMOFreeJacksonCounty.org
And check out the Institute for Responsible Technology site:
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-education GMO-Free Jackson County invites you to an informational meeting to hear more about this issue. It will be held on Sunday, June 3rd from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. at the Medford Library, 205 S. Central in Medford.

If you'd like to be on our email list to receive updates, call us at541-708-3151,or email us at gmofreejacksoncounty@gmail.com.

If you are already knowledgeable on this issue and would like to help, please go to our website and sign up to Get Involved. If you would like to support us by writing a letter to the County Commissioners asking them to support our initiative, we can send you a sample letter that you can personalize. There are many ways to help, big and small, and plenty of information available to learn about the issues. Thank you for your consideration.

For the future,

Chris Hardy

Village Farm, Ashland

GMO-Free Jackson County P.S. A YouTube video called “Farmer to Farmer” about a journey across America to investigate the status of GM crops ten years after their introduction, by Michael Hart, a British livestock producer, is a good place to learn more about this issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEX654gN3c4 Or, information on Monsanto’s seed parents from the Public Patent Foundation: http://www.pubpat.org/monsanto-seed-patents.htm And, the documentary film, “The Future of Food”: http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food

http://www.gmofreejacksoncounty.org/index.html
I wonder what kind of pollen could be spread on their fields that could ruin the purity of their seeds? That might make them move elsewhere at least. If flying model airplanes overhead as cropdusters wasn't adequate perhaps some weedier varieties planted nearby might do the trick.
(06-09-2012, 10:30 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I wonder what kind of pollen could be spread on their fields that could ruin the purity of their seeds? That might make them move elsewhere at least. If flying model airplanes overhead as cropdusters wasn't adequate perhaps some weedier varieties planted nearby might do the trick.

I find it astounding a Swiss firm, who's product is now forbidden in Switzerland, is making their move in our little corner of the world.

It reminds me of the time in the not so distant past, when DDT was banned in the United States so the manufacturers started selling it to the third world.
[Image: 179650_314739415277921_288001931_n.jpg]
It's not so unusual as you think for seed producers to seek out small, isolated places to grow their seed crops. That's because it's becoming increasingly harder for them to find places so far removed from others growing their same crops, so that they can assure their varieties breed true (and, not be pollinated from blowing in pollen, for example). This is a world-wide problem for seed producers. Growing crops for seed, a high-dollar venture, actually seems like a good idea for landowners in this area.

Not passing judgement on the GMO debate. I'm still not sure if that's bad or good, personally.
(06-10-2012, 07:52 AM)PonderThis Wrote: It's not so unusual as you think for seed producers to seek out small, isolated places to grow their seed crops. That's because it's becoming increasingly harder for them to find places so far removed from others growing their same crops, so that they can assure their varieties breed true (and, not be pollinated from blowing in pollen, for example). This is a world-wide problem for seed producers. Growing crops for seed, a high-dollar venture, actually seems like a good idea for landowners in this area.

Not passing judgement on the GMO debate. I'm still not sure if that's bad or good, personally.

GMO's are a very bad idea for both the health of mankind and for the food supply.

There is no reason to design fruits and vegetables that can withstand larger and larger doses of pesticide when it makes the food unhealthy. Scientific studies have show this with test animals.

These seeds are designed so Monsanto can sell more pesticides and herbicides not to provide healthy food for the masses.

Organic farming uses insects and other age old practices not poisons.

My horse started feeling listless and when I stopped feeding him corn and alfalfa, both GMO he improved almost instantaneously.

I can feel the difference between tortillas when eating one made with GMO versus and organic corn. And anything with corn syrup has always made me feel like barfing.

And there is nothing so revolting as pancakes with margarine and Karo syrup.
I guess I thought there were some potentially good purposes for genetically modified organisms as well, not that I have any specific examples. I wasn't sure it was all about pesticides or herbicides. In an ideal world, anyway.

Just for example, as oceans rise and farmland becomes saltier, if salt resistance could be spliced into a food crop, that could be an extremely helpful thing. Or if food could be made to have a higher protein content. If I'm wrong on this, you should tell me.
You know, while I support no gmo by at least 1000%, I am also skeptical about some of the "support" this is getting from far left globalist supported money. Some links to George Soros, and even back to Monsanto itself. I really think this movement is being hijacked by people that will, in the end, drive it into the ground. Just my opinion based on my own referencing some of the listed "support".
(06-10-2012, 02:47 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: You know, while I support no gmo by at least 1000%, I am also skeptical about some of the "support" this is getting from far left globalist supported money. Some links to George Soros, and even back to Monsanto itself. I really think this movement is being hijacked by people that will, in the end, drive it into the ground. Just my opinion based on my own referencing some of the listed "support".

The bold is where I stop agreeing with you, but I will add something for you to consider. The anti GMO hype, in my opinion does a disservice to those of us that want it out of the conventional food crop chain. I am more concerned about the economic damage through economic exploitation that GMO modified crops do to farmers than any health effects from GMO modified foods.

The anti GMO community would be better off sticking to the science and avoiding the speculative fear mongering. They remind me of people in the Cannabis community that are not satisfied that cannabis is effective treating glaucoma, is a appetite stimulate for chemo patients and treats some other conditions effectively. They exaggerate the benefits of cannabis even suggesting it is a cure for cancer, blah, blah, blah.

I try to consider the validity of research based on the science and not who funds it. You can remain vigilant to political agendas, but you should not dismiss scientific research just because you don't like where the funding is coming from. Just my opinion.
(06-10-2012, 03:34 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 02:47 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: You know, while I support no gmo by at least 1000%, I am also skeptical about some of the "support" this is getting from far left globalist supported money. Some links to George Soros, and even back to Monsanto itself. I really think this movement is being hijacked by people that will, in the end, drive it into the ground. Just my opinion based on my own referencing some of the listed "support".

The bold is where I stop agreeing with you, but I will add something for you to consider. The anti GMO hype, in my opinion does a disservice to those of us that want it out of the conventional food crop chain. I am more concerned about the economic damage through economic exploitation that GMO modified crops do to farmers than any health effects from GMO modified foods.

The anti GMO community would be better off sticking to the science and avoiding the speculative fear mongering. They remind me of people in the Cannabis community that are not satisfied that cannabis is effective treating glaucoma, is a appetite stimulate for chemo patients and treats some other conditions effectively. They exaggerate the benefits of cannabis even suggesting it is a cure for cancer, blah, blah, blah.

I try to consider the validity of research based on the science and not who funds it. You can remain vigilant to political agendas, but you should not dismiss scientific research just because you don't like where the funding is coming from. Just my opinion.

I think the medical benefits of not eating GMO foods is more than anecdotal but I completely agree with your comment;
"I am more concerned about the economic damage through economic exploitation that GMO modified crops do to farmers than any health effects from GMO modified foods".

Many countries will not allow the testing of GMO crops because of the contamination problem and the need for more potent pesticides as the weeds become resistant, not unlike the increasingly resistant virus's because of the over use of antibiotic's.

Now if they can somehow figure out how to grow GMO tomatoes in salt water that would be great as they taste better with a little salt.
I understand we are continually evolving; we are continually making big strides in science.

I don't want to sound like a flat-earther, or the folks who say if God wanted man to fly He would have given us wings...BUT...

What kind of sense is involved in being forced to buy seed from one company? And to have to keep buying seed every year instead of saving seed from one year's crop for the next?

In my opinion, it sounds like a recipe for a food disaster.

And that's not even considering the potential health risks.
I've only been on pot for a little over fifty two years. But, I've had cancer for sixty four years. You think the pot would have cured it by now.