Copper Pennies + Clear Resin = Beautiful Floor
(06-13-2012, 10:59 PM)Clone Wrote:
(06-13-2012, 10:42 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: You spread out a thin layer of 2 part clear epoxy resin and layout the coins. Then you would squeegee and back roll down as many coats of the same clear as it takes to cover the coins and about an 1/8" more. Then apply an industrial grade wax every so often as needed. The wax becomes the wear surface so the epoxy never gets damaged. I have done these with shells, coins, rocks, you name it we have probably done it. Just before moving here I coated the engine shop for the Thunderbirds at Nellis Air Force Base, as well as 2 shops for drone repairs at the Indian Springs Base where they fly drones from in the middle east, outside of Vegas between Nellis and the test facility. Here is the industry leader for industrial grade epoxies.

http://www.dex-o-tex.com/products/epoxy

Incredible...one could think of many items!
Thanks, OL!
I have to file this away for future reference, even if it's a mobile home. Laughing

you know, you could get a small table from a garage sale and do it on it and it would make a great conversation piece and you can see if you would like to do it on a larger scale.
(06-13-2012, 09:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-13-2012, 07:49 PM)chuck white Wrote: Would you use the new copper coated Al pennies or the real copper pennies?

copper coated Al as in aluminum? Is there a new aluminum coin? They have been copper plated zink since 1983.

I would use the earlier coins for a floor. The zinc corrodes easily.

You are probably right, I just know they are lighter and melt much easier then the older ones.
I'm pretty sure I posted a story awhile back where a guy either made or bought a machine that sorted out the old pennies from the new ones. The old ones were worth quite a bit more than one penny (was it like three cents maybe?), although the legality of melting them down was in question.
(06-14-2012, 04:59 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm pretty sure I posted a story awhile back where a guy either made or bought a machine that sorted out the old pennies from the new ones. The old ones were worth quite a bit more than one penny (was it like three cents maybe?), although the legality of melting them down was in question.

They have to catch me firstEvil
(06-14-2012, 04:59 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm pretty sure I posted a story awhile back where a guy either made or bought a machine that sorted out the old pennies from the new ones. The old ones were worth quite a bit more than one penny (was it like three cents maybe?), although the legality of melting them down was in question.

The newer copper plated zinc pennies are quite a bit lighter so that's most likely how the machine sorted them.

I figured it out once and a pound of pennies, (the older copper ones) was worth twice the value of the coins. I think it takes 145 pennies to make a pound and the scrap yards should pay about 3 bucks a pound for copper of that quality.

Except that no scrapyards would take them anyway.
I thought of 'D' when you posted this. That woman can mosaic anything. I bet one could make an awesome coffee or end table. Hmmm...... Smiling
I was going to do the master bath in those little marble hexes. But, now.....maybe gold doubloons? Morgan Silver Dollars?
(06-19-2012, 05:45 AM)illcommandante Wrote: I was going to do the master bath in those little marble hexes. But, now.....maybe gold doubloons? Morgan Silver Dollars?

You might be able to buy euros at a discount soon.
I never bought a thing in Nudie's. But, all of my friends did. He'd have done his floor in silver dollars. Out of his pile.