Help Feed Yourself...from 1917
(06-13-2012, 09:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote: If you have the land to raise the chickens and get the eggs, you can use the manure to help compost and then the cost of raising the crops themselves could be reduced.
I compost, but I just paid 10 dollars for about 100 pound of horse manure. That's cheap. I buy lots of manure and compost from garden stores and pay a pretty penny. I like the freshness of the food, and it's a healthy hobby.

Funny that with the tomatoes...I put my tomatoes in one morning on low and 5 hours later they still weren't done! but they are scrumptious!

I compost, but I just paid 10 dollars for about 100 pound of horse manure. That's cheap

It's all relative, $10 for 100 pounds is cheap compared to buying from garden stores like you mentioned but to me that's expensiveBig Grin
There are people who will fill your pickup for $10 and sometimes it's free.

Quote: I never learned to can. I also wonder if canning works out to be cheaper unless you have access to a free source of fruit or veggies. It's a great hobby also.

I think canning really is worth while and can save money. Because you can buy or even get free what you would have spent a lot for during the winter.
We used to get pears for next to nothing and peaches were cheap also. Plus tomatoes are everywhere in the fall.
(541) 826-4220
7575 Pacific Ave
White City, Oregon 97503

Locations of LDS Canneries
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthr...p?t=178310
Hemp seeds are nutritious, but my plants don't seem to produce any.
We could fix that.
The OSU extension service has canning classes.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/communi...eservation

It is not usually very expensive to take the class,
expensive, but not very expensive ?
(06-14-2012, 05:52 AM)chuck white Wrote: expensive, but not very expensive ?

Here the class is $5.00. When I was living there they offered the class, I think for the same amount.
(06-13-2012, 10:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-13-2012, 09:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote: If you have the land to raise the chickens and get the eggs, you can use the manure to help compost and then the cost of raising the crops themselves could be reduced.
I compost, but I just paid 10 dollars for about 100 pound of horse manure. That's cheap. I buy lots of manure and compost from garden stores and pay a pretty penny. I like the freshness of the food, and it's a healthy hobby.

Funny that with the tomatoes...I put my tomatoes in one morning on low and 5 hours later they still weren't done! but they are scrumptious!

I compost, but I just paid 10 dollars for about 100 pound of horse manure. That's cheap

It's all relative, $10 for 100 pounds is cheap compared to buying from garden stores like you mentioned but to me that's expensiveBig Grin

Quote: I never learned to can. I also wonder if canning works out to be cheaper unless you have access to a free source of fruit or veggies. It's a great hobby also.

I think canning really is worth while and can save money. Because you can buy or even get free what you would have spent a lot for during the winter.
We used to get pears for next to nothing and peaches were cheap also. Plus tomatoes are everywhere in the fall.

My pickup?LaughingLaughing You sound like people who say, "Hey, if there is no power, no worries, just just your fireplace/wood burning stove!" Wood burning stove? As for canning, well, I don't like fruit, so I'd be canning tomatoes mostly. But, I could just sauce them and freeze them.
(06-14-2012, 12:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

My pickup?LaughingLaughing You sound like people who say, "Hey, if there is no power, no worries, just just your fireplace/wood burning stove!" Wood burning stove? As for canning, well, I don't like fruit, so I'd be canning tomatoes mostly. But, I could just sauce them and freeze them.
But if there is no power how would you keep them frozen????

I love frozen peaches and apple sauce, and I usually put some up that way, but if I am really going to use it as food storage, it would be better to can it.
(06-14-2012, 12:06 PM)blondemom Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 12:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

But if there is no power how would you keep them frozen????

I love frozen peaches and apple sauce, and I usually put some up that way, but if I am really going to use it as food storage, it would be better to can it.

LOLLaughingLaughing Very good point Blondemom!Laughing I notice that the extension offers the canning classes in May. Funny, that. You'd think they would offer it close to harvest time, when people have a plethora of produce and are suddenly wondering what to do with it?
Classes? You don't need no stinking classes to can.Laughing
Quote:Tia.. As for canning, well, I don't like fruit, so I'd be canning tomatoes mostly.

Tomatoes are a fruitLaughing
I can't not garden, it's just part of who I am. It is an investment, but a healthy one. You feed the soil and the soil feeds the plants and the plants feed you. It's a good relationship to have. Cool
(06-14-2012, 01:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Tia.. As for canning, well, I don't like fruit, so I'd be canning tomatoes mostly.

Tomatoes are a fruitLaughing

Eek!Yes. I know. hI meant I don't like peaches, pears, nectarines, mangos, whatever.
I don't think it would really be worth the investment in the jars and such when the only thing I'd be processing would be the 3 tomato plants in my yard.
One season I dehydrated my extra tomatoes and tossed them in the freezer. We'd toss them in soups and stew throughout the winter. So much easier than canning.
(06-14-2012, 02:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I don't think it would really be worth the investment in the jars and such when the only thing I'd be processing would be the 3 tomato plants in my yard.

Yeah but at harvest time you can often get tons of stuff fer free, what about Clete?
(06-14-2012, 05:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 02:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I don't think it would really be worth the investment in the jars and such when the only thing I'd be processing would be the 3 tomato plants in my yard.

Yeah but at harvest time you can often get tons of stuff fer free, what about Clete?

Well, then, I'd have to go and purchase the canning supplies, wouldn't I?Laughing
(06-14-2012, 05:57 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 05:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well, then, I'd have to go and purchase the canning supplies, wouldn't I?Laughing
I have an abundance of tomatoes from August through September. We, meaning my wife ans SIL can lots of them. Still, I give plenty away. Maybe I could give you some instead of giving them to those Saint Vincent folks.Smiling I have 75 tomato plants.

I like how some people "put up" produce instead of canning it.Smiling
Don't The Faithful think we wonder, when they display such a lack of confidence in their God?